Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Obviously add in sections for screen protectors and AirPods since the thread ends up debating that more than talking about the actual phones anyway.

Battery percentages.

And screw comic sans, where's my impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has to do extra special processing for the new Lock Screen stuff. My XS ran hot until last night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phones really are great to use without a case, I've done it for most of pandemic when I was never leaving the house anyways so the risk was minimal.

Unfortunately a huge part of smart phones is maximizing trade in value and with the way the finish is about as slippery as a bar of soap a case is basically mandatory if you're doing more than using it in bed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes it's all "seesh I don't know what's going on here, does this work for you?"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple won't care about battery percentage but any random buyer on swappa will.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I fire up the pc to post in the iphone thread now, so I can type lock screen without capitalization.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a line with a single small camera that sits flush with the body, SE style. But a big phone. With all the other pro stuff.

I might be in a very small demographic though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The satellite communication is a pretty big new feature. But it's revision one so not worth rushing for a new phone right now. But one or two more iterations (such as being able to send texts to family, even if they're pre-registered) it hopefully turns into a really useful feature.

But yeah, phone development has slowed way down. For day to day they're feature complete and have been for a while. Nothing wrong with that, if people buy fewer phones that's better for the planet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

How long before the camera bump is big enough that it actually makes the phone lie at a comfortable angle for reading when you set it down on a table?

When it turns into an integrated pop socket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only brought up pop sockets because I wanted to make a joke about the size of the camera housing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't fix the camera, just delete instagram.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set imessages to time out after a year. Free yourself from the decade old nudes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Wait you can have the subject appear in front of the time? How do you do that?

The phone automatically processes your photo library to determine candidates. In general it needs a subject clearly separated from the background, like a person or a mountain.

Then once it does that processing, you set up a new "Photos" wallpaper and select an image from the 'Featured' category. Not all featured photos work but most will.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

My phone is still processing my library for this and I have less than 400 pics. Very slow process, or am I just unlucky?

That seems slow to me, it processed my library of a few thousand images in about 24 hours. But I have no insight to how Apple does anything so I have no useful advice whatsoever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Of course it's gonna take more power, every time you tap something it has to fire off the little solenoid thingy that makes the bump. That's not free.

So battery drain is going to depend on how much texting you do in a day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Can anyone recommend a great Magsafe charging stand / station for the iPhone 14 Pro Max and an Apple watch?

My wife has the anker one and she loves it. I personally think the tall phone tower is dumb but it does everything it needs to.. charges a phone and a watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?

Yeah, it's a straight downgrade. Like, the control to shut off all lights doesn't even look like a button anymore. It's just a text label but if you tap it, it does the thing.

The watch app is worse too, the favorites category is gone so toggling lights I use the most requires more menu diving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

the best feature of dark sky is that it was completely abandoned after apple bought it, so it just continues working well and you never have to deal with the arbitrary redesigns that make every app worse and less functional as time goes on

It's gonna not continue working fairly soon because the api it uses is getting shut off early next year. They want people to migrate to their replacement, weatherkit. It's pretty close to the data dark sky made available, but not identical.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The small apple calendar widget only shows events scheduled today. If there are none, it prints "no more events today." If you have an event for tomorrow it will show that instead. It doesn't show events beyond that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Counting days to ios 17 when apple opens up the lock screen widget options to not be a single small chunk under the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rick posted:

An important thing to note is that some of the button works like a switch, some of it works like a thing that pops up a menu. Which isn't very intuitive. Or at least wasn't for me.

The biggest crime for me is that part of the button is a switch and the rest of the button is a menu/slider. I get what they were going for but it's stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

god this blows posted:

Leave it to apple to make me look a fool

Only thing left to figure out is which of us is Tim's parachute account.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had an issue scanning a QR code on my XS yesterday, it's not all sunshine and rainbows in the past either.

But I assumed it was a poorly printed code, it was kinda smudged.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun wallpaper trivia: if you set a photo shuffle to a 24 hour interval, it updates based on when you make it the in use Lock Screen, not based on some set time of the day.

I would assume it rotates over night at some point so you got a cool new screen for the day, but nah it seems to rotate around 2 in the afternoon which is when I created it/activated it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

there is one thing i do almost every day in settings: force my airpods/beats fit pros to switch back to my iphone after using them on my macbook. the auto-switching just doesn't work reliably at all.

You can do this by tapping the icon (if nothing is connected, it's concentric circles with a triangle) in the upper right of the playback controls box in the control center. It gives a list of all available audio destinations and if the headphones are in your ears they should show up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Pull down on the home screen, tap the first letter of the app you want (sometimes the second) and tap the app. No shouting, no managing home screens.

I do this gesture so automatically, I had to grab my phone to remember what it was.

I just wish the "top hits" showed up at the bottom of the screen.

Also ios 16 made this even more obvious by adding that "search" bubble. They clearly want people to be doing that more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Round edge supremacy, feels nice and smooth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best part of that wallpaper is the transition animations between earth and moon and you can't do that from the lock screen. Boo to that.

No phases is pretty bad too though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you done a reboot yet? Sometimes software goes stupid and you gotta shut it off and then on again.

If you have, sounds like a support call with Apple. The phone shouldn't function as a space heater, no matter how many AI filters it's running your photo library through.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have a good source on that? There's no way they'll add a USB-C port on the Watch.

There are exceptions for devices that can't physically fit a usb-c connector.

(I am no authority on whether the watch fits that category)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Went from XS to a biggie non-pro 14. Cool phone, I keep trying to turn it on while upside down because the earpiece is so close to the case bezel I can't tell which end is which and apparently I put the phone in my pocket in infinitely random orientations.

The ultra wide lens is nice. I just wish the other one was more of a zoom lens, it feels like I can only do wide and insanely wide.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does the SOS mode work? I was cavorting around in a national forest the past several days which meant really spotty cell service.

Sometimes I'd have no bars and no SOS logo, and in other areas the SOS would show up. Does that mean it's found an locked into a satellite signal? Not that I could do anything with it at this point but I am curious.

Also I don't know if it's new battery effect or what but this phone feels like it kills itself a lot slower in areas with no signal. Older models would try so hard to find signal you'd have to turn on airplane mode to avoid a dead battery in a few hours. But the new one only lost 10% overnight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

I don't think the satellite SOS feature is activated yet.

The ability to send out a SOS over satellite is there, but I assume the OS has the code to detect a signal. But it could be a bad assumption too, I am not a smart person.

I just wanna know why that SOS appears sometimes and not others. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest crime of apple music is it has that little infinity icon activated by default, so when I finish playing an album or song I picked from the search results page it'll decide I need more music and draw a random song from a random genre out of a hat to surprise the gently caress out of me and send me scrambling for the stop button.

I mean it's good that I can turn the behavior off, so I guess this is mostly a complaint about the horrible discoverability of features in iOS. I shouldn't need google to figure out preferences.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a toggle to allow backups over cellular in settings.app.

At the very top of the settings app, tap their name. Then iCloud, then iCloud Backup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe a privacy thing? They don't want you butt dialing someone and letting folks listen to everything going on around you without you knowing.

Granted this assumes they make any noise that you can hear, but at least they tried?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just pulled the trigger on 14 Pluses for my mom and her husband to replace their Pixel 3As. I’m hoping the camera doesn’t disappoint her, she fell in love with the Pixel’s camera

It feels like the cameras are too wide angle for me, you have "wide" and "insanely wide" for options. But the image quality is nice.. for 12mp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait for ios 17 to enable using widgets and the depth effect at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple's experiments with AI sky replacement not going well.

(the latest point update messed with my wallpaper rotation, some images I had selected were removed from the list and a couple random ones were added. So it's just General Bugs poo poo)