Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

The KWMOBILE cases have been solid loving gold for me for 2 generations now. Some of the best cases out there. It's a silicone case with microfabric inside. Very low profile and they keep your phones MINT. Comes in tons of colours too.

Wouldn’t that polycarbonate mid layer not be as shock resistant as something like TPU/silicone that will deform slightly to absorb a drop instead of passing it straight through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A year with my 13 Pro and there’s a small scuff on one corner of from falling off a streeterie table and a tiny shallow scratch on the screen from falling in a changing room onto some sand (?) on the floor, but you wouldn’t notice either if I didn’t point them out. Going naked is the best.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The painted section on the side of the phone where the sim tray used to be is a lol, although the 13 demo in the store had it too so I guess it’s not new?
That’s the cutout for the 5G mmWave antenna and it’s on the opposite side from the SIM tray anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

I’m just not going to get it replaced until I know the fix is out, seems a bit wasteful to swap when it might happen again
This reminds of when timb got like four iPhones replaced early on because the screen had a slight yellow tint, but it was actually just the adhesive fully drying to transparent.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/tech/iphone-14-pro-camera-shake/index.html

Apple has a software fix coming next week for the camera shaking issue on iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.
I wonder how many iPhones they’ve had to replace in the meantime. Whoever made the mistake is definitely getting fired, probably cost tens of millions of dollars in replacement units.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m gonna keep using Dark Sky until Tim pries it from my cold dead hands :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder when AirPod Pros will move to USB-C since we just got a new model. I for one don't want to deal with a USB-C iPhone 15 Pro and Lightning AirPod Pro 2 (or even my current v1).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Happened to me yesterday and it is my alarm. Thank god my wife woke me up to see what was up. I was confused as well. Mine was actually off when I got up and I had to hard reset (that changed from last time I did it) to get it on. Weird.
I think this happened to me this morning while I was sleeping? I woke up at one point when the alarm went off but the phone was unresponsive. I went back to sleep and the next time I woke up, the phone was fine.

It’s really distressing since my phone is my only alarm clock to get up for work. 13P on 16.0 here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

Let me know what they say if you think about!

Hmm. 14 pro on 16.0.2.
To add to this, I also got a prompt asking me to log into my Apple account again :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Remember when Tech21 and their D3O non Newtonian material was gonna revolutionize phone cases?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The alarm thing happened in my 13 Pro but hasn’t been an issue for a while.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just deleted 8GB of downloaded podcasts from Overcast. In the app it shows the reduction in storage used, as does the overall storage meter in iOS Settings, but below that where it shows how much each app uses, that hasn’t changed. I’ve tried rebooting. Is it just gonna take some time to update? 13P on 16.1.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have an AirTag wallet? It seems way too thick to put in your back pocket and sitting on the AirTag doesn't seem like a good idea. Putting your wallet in a front pants pocket is also a bit tricky since I already have my phone in my front right and keys/AirPods in my front left, but that may be the least worst option.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I figured this might be the best place to ask. Is there a way to force the OneDrive app to reupload pics from my iPhone? Say OneDrive has already backed up my photos from last month but I haven't had a chance to go through and clean out the junk. If I delete those junk photos from my iPhone and also delete them from OneDrive, the app doesn't reupload. I tried removing/reinstalling the app but it seems like OneDrive has a cache/index somewhere of previously uploaded photos that I want to reset.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Delete from onedrive first, then iOS photos. Doing the reverse makes it fail their upload logic.
I tried that just now along with logging out of and reinstalling the app and it didn’t help. :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Ok, I see.

I'm kind of just looking for something I put my phone on when I'm at my computer so it charges and I can sync it and poo poo. Or all the kids these days syncing their phones over wifi? Cause I assume you're probably not going to get 20-24w fast charging through most normal PC usb? (My PC has a bunch of USB3.0, but none of the back ports appear to be the USB C style connector) Is there much difference in charging through magsafe or the actual lighting port? (Obviously you'll be gated based on the usb draw to the charger regardless)

e: I like this one design-wise, but it looks like I'd only get 5w charging https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Qi-Certified-Compatible-Fast-Charging-PowerWave/dp/B07DBXZZN3/
I have that dock and it’s great at my desk to charge during the day but not if you’re in any kind of hurry.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There’s a Starbucks next to my local subway station so it pops up all the time which is actually a bit annoying bc I rarely go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So when you go to your doctor with your digital insurance card, are they set up to just scan it or do you need to hand your phone over to them? They prolly take it a copier and scan it?

And the digital licenses, same question? Do you need to hand your phone over to the guy to verify your age?

Cause there is absolutely no way that I’m ever handing over my phone to someone.
I think most doctors need to scan your insurance. For ID, a lot of bars will scan the barcode on the back.

I’ve reduced my wallet to a card holder with AirTag these days. ID, health insurance, 2 CCs and subway card.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I just bought one of these last week and it's been really good. The magnet is really strong and works with my Otterbox case I got at Apple (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HQ5C2ZM/A/otterbox-figura-series-case-with-magsafe-for-iphone-14-pro-max-black).

Loving the ios17 nightstand mode - hope more apps get added to it.
https://www.amazon.ca/ESR-HaloLock-Kickstand-Magsafe-Compatible-Removable/dp/B08YYMCK26/

Only downside is that it doesn't come with a wall charger for USB-C so I had to get one as my only ones are the one that came with my Apple Watch. Walmart had a dual plug for $39 CAD which seemed a bit excessive but it is what it is and I didnt want to order one from Amazon and wait.
Do you find the narrow width of the stand part affects stability?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wooger posted:

Other phones already charge at 100w.
I believe those are phones that split the battery into 2 parts, so each sub battery gets 50W. Also, you only get max charging speed when the battery is empty.

That said, fast charging does wear batteries more quickly because phones have limited heat dissipation, but I feel like Apple is good about balancing charge speed with degradation.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 28, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Apparently I have greasy ear holes and the Airpod Pros won't stay in my ears. I used the medium ones and switched to large and they're uncomfortable. They will wiggle out probably after about 10 minutes of use. I had Airpod 1st gens and those stayed in my ear just fine. Are there better ear tips for the Airpod Pros?
Are you inserting them into your ear canals? A lot of people try to wear earbuds with silicone tips like they do plastic earbuds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 13 Pro 256GB and my default would be to upgrade to the 15 Pro but I'm considering the Pro Max for the better telephoto lens and 26% better battery life since it's only $100 more with 256GB.

My main concern is size for one-handed use since I have average size hands. I don't use a case and keep the phone in my front right pocket.

The 13 Pro is feels like the maximum size I can manage one-handed while walking but I've never owned a max. For those who have experience with both the regular and max, is it a noticeable difference?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assumed it was short press for mute and long press for something else but apparently it’s only ling press.

Gonna be pissed if the iPhone 16 Pro has that capability and it doesn’t get rolled out in an iOS update.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taima posted:

You can also now connect a USB C cable between your iphone and your airpods and charge the airpods from your phone.
This seems useful but has almost no use case. When you’re out and about, you’re unlikely to have JUST a USB-C cable with you. It’s more likely you have a cable AND a power bank. So until we can wirelessly charge our AirPods from our phones, it’s an extremely niche feature.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m having second thoughts about upgrading from my 13 Pro, thinking about holding out for another year. Yes my battery is already down to 87%, but I can’t go USB-C only unless I also upgrade my AirPod Pro 1. The earbuds are only 15 months old (case is 27 months old) so battery life on them is fine.

edit: That's a silly reason to not upgrade. Going with the 15 Pro 256GB blue.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 15, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

New USB-C AirPods $50 off before they’re even released lol

https://slickdeals.net/f/16928203-apple-airpods-pro-2nd-generation-with-magsafe-case-usb-c-white-mtjv3am-a-199-99

e: they’re giving me $40 off for trading in my current pros that are crackly and have a poo poo battery. Nice.
There’s no option to trade in my APP1 that can wireless charge but don’t have MagSafe 😭

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

5S had the best industrial design imo and I say that as someone who had a 4 (and 4S after I somehow lost my 4?).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All the early 15 Pro reviews seem to prefer the natural titanium color which I initially gravitated toward but ultimately ordered blue. I used my Verizon upgrade so I’m not sure how I can swap it now.

I chose…poorly. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You’re gonna put it in a case and never see the color anyway
I have always gone naked. I went with blue bc the color seemed richer and more visually interesting than the grey of the natural, but apparently the blue and black bands show fingerprints WAY more.

TBF, I do regularly wipe the band on my 13 Pro so maybe not a huge issue but being a tech nerd is about splitting hairs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I have the same colour MacBook. It is beautiful, but similarly YouTubers get real weird about fingerprints. You’re gonna notice the smudges when you first pick it up but if it’s anything like the laptop once you’ve been using it for a while the smudges will just blend together and not be noticeable. It’s really only a problem for people who need these objects to look a certain way under studio lighting. Don’t stress about it. It’s a really nice and complex that changes with the ambient light.
Unironically thanks, this is the most useful thing I’ve seen regarding the blue color. :cheers:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Well sure but I think the idea is you leave it on 80% for average days and on the ones where you're gonna be off the charger for a longer period you charge to full. Theory being that after a few years the overall battery health is higher and you have more available capacity than someone that charges to 100% every time.
Yeah the smart battery charging helps but it can't account for everything. My use case would be charging to 80% normally and then let it charge to 100% an hour before a night out or something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, at least for Verizon shipping, no one seems to want the blue. The Pro in 128 and 256 blue is shipping on time (I think for both) and the Pro Max blue is the quickest shipping still.

The white is the farther back ordered, but that could just be supplies.

I think Natural and Black (of course) are the most popular.
I feel like this is a confluence of

1) Lots of people getting blue in the 12/13/14 Pro and wanting to change things up

2) Pre-order people being more likely to follow techtubers who seem to prefer natural

3) Natural being the closest to gold this generation

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

As for the 15, I'm unreasonably annoyed that the silent/mute "switch" status is now a permanent fixture in the "titlebar".
Also, the more rounded profile makes it feel more slippery than the 14, although maybe that's just a case of getting used to it.
Ironically, most techtubers seem to prefer the more rounded edges because they thought the previous design was uncomfortable. How quickly they forget the slippery iPhone 6-11.

I find the previous design to be easier to keep ahold of when walking around, but it remains to be seen whether they achieved the right balance this time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

If anyone hasn't yet upgraded and has AT&T, I just saw that Costco will give you an additional $100 costco card, $50 in bill credits over 10 months (lol), and waive the activation fee if you upgrade or add a new line through them. Seems like T-Mobile is often the only deals Costco has.
I did this for the 13 Pro launch and it was a disaster. The Costco mobile kiosks are 3rd party and despite the $185 savings, it took many, many hours across multiple phone calls to get everything sorted. The cherry on top is that Costco never told me my phone was ready for pickup at the store; I only knew because I was following tracking.

Reddit agrees with me as well. I don't think there's a single positive testimonial.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Transferring data including 170GB of pics/videos took about an hour and a half from my 13 Pro. The process of adding Wallet cards took a while because I had to enter the security codes for like 10 cards but generally a smooth process.

You're prompted to updated iOS before starting the transfer.

edit: If you care, remember to transfer your signal chat history before wiping your old phone. I forgot. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 22, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reduced weight and rounded edges give the 15 Pro a great hand feel. Plus an unworn oleophobic coating makes swiping feel so nice.

15 Pro good y’all

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone tested whether recording videos with stereo audio is worth it? I almost always support the phone with my right pinky when I’m recording a video and it’s usually covering the bottom left mic; my understand is there’s also a bottom right mic plus one next to the earpiece and of course on the camera bump.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Need to get a giant magnet like they have in junkyards

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Man you aren’t kidding. The weight between my 13 Pro and new 15 pro is really noticeable.
Ya all the techtubers and nerds on social media saying you wouldn't notice the 19g reduction from the 14P to 15P are, as usual, talking out their rear end on things about which they have little to no experience and/or expertise.

A golf club, specifically a driver, weighs about 320g and I can instantly tell a 10g difference and pretty reliably tell a 5g difference. When swinging a driver, I can tell a 2g difference. A 19g difference is in a phone is MASSIVE, especially since it's a 50% greater percentage change.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Any verdicts on the in person 15 Pro colors?
Blue is beautiful (recorded on my 13 Pro before I wiped it). Concerns about fingerprints on the band are 110% overblown.
https://i.imgur.com/lbAfbSf.mp4

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Am I dumb or if you assign the action button to something like camera, can you still use it to silence / unsilence your phone or do you have to go through control center?
No, you have to use control center.

I suspect they’ll introduce double click or something to retain the mute function in iOS 18.