Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Re posting from old thread.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I feel bad for the people in the stores/phones who are stuck behind a garbage system. Naturally after dealing with web chat/phone call/reddit (wtf) support, the answer was 'go to a store and they will fix it'.

Having dealt with AT&T stores before, I know this answer was actually "Go to an AT&T store and they will set up a new order because it's completely separate and even if it wasn't there's zero incentive for the person who handles you to do it anyway because there's no commission for them". So now rather than my phone getting delivered on Friday and having the time to start it fresh and make sure everything is working, I now have to go into the store and give them my handset when picking up the new one and also hoping they haven't hosed up how much I'm due to pay because naturally I haven't had any emails confirming this yet.

I should've just stayed with my XR on a pre-paid agreement, ffs.

As one of those poor bastards dealing with it, the positive side is that since I have a quota, every time a customer calls upset that the website isn’t working right I literally say “oh that’s great, that keeps me employed I’ll get you set.”

Tbh, the systems I use are not bad at this point. There are really annoying things that they should be able to do but mess up, but I’ve used them so long I know almost every trick.

Btw, for everyone in general, in terms of from my perspective , the 14 launch is def not the same volume / pace / energy as the 13 was(not really surprising IMO). Last year was the first year the carriers did $800 trade ins (recently at least) and a LOT of people did them and now , surprise surplus, aren’t eligible this year.

Also no surprise, I get a lot of people wanting to buy the 14, but they got the iPhone 12 or whatever on a 30 month payment plan so it’s like “well, you have 8-10 months left and owed $500 still, did you want to pay that off to upgrade early?” Unsurprisingly the answer is usually no, although shiny new phone does make a few people do crazy things.

Also, already starting last year, the 13 Pro was noticeably picking up more orders than the regular 13. This year it’s like, no one buys the 14 during preorders. Expect good inventory of the 14, the Pro and Pro max are def the hot topic ones. Which is usually the case for preorder (early adopters), but even more so this year. I have had literally one 14+ preorder, the plus is gonna be a dud because anyone wanting the bigger phone will just get the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

Happy to help :)

If any of y'all have suggestions for the OP, :justpost: and I'll update it.

Obviously add in sections for screen protectors and AirPods since the thread ends up debating that more than talking about the actual phones anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It’s steel dude. Same reason why 9/11 was an inside job.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

It is extremely lol that people will pay 4 figures for a phone and then balk at spending more than £30 for something to protect that 4 figgy device.

Man, if I could play some of my daily calls to all of you. Tbf, most people are normal, but man are there some crazy people out there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

For a long time I thought it was linear, but Apple’s definition of a battery being “consumed” at 80% felt a little odd to me, so I’m glad I asked. My battery has seemed less robust this year, the degradation felt more than “15%”.

The real question now is whether I replace my battery now or soldier on until Fall 2023 to replace the entire phone.

If you’re at 85% you will be going nuts by next year. I would replace the battery.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

I was ready to continue my two yearly cycle and go for the 14 pro from a 12 but nah. My s3 watch sucks so I replaced that with the new SE and I'll get the 15 pro next year with usbc and touchID in the screen/lock button and 165hz display and optical zoom.

On a more serious note it seems like the chip shortage might have had something to do with the only incremental performance upgrades this year?

You never know, but apple pumps so much money into it that they get whatever priority access to chips, so I doubt it.

It’s probably more cost savings + running out of poo poo to add to the phones because they already do everything.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HungryMedusa posted:

My phones aren't supposed to be here until the end of October. This makes me sad. Come on ATT!!

Thinking about trying the Magsafe wallet instead of my go to Mujjo this time. If anyone has wallet case recs let me know. Doesn't need to allow charging.

They’ll likely ship sooner. Carriers learned long ago just give a crazy long term data and ship sooner when they’re actually available.

Seriously, if you tell a customer “this ships for October 7” and it arrives October 9, you are a loving villain. But if you say “this ships for October 15,” and they get it October 9 you are a goddamn hero.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lol one of the main reasons I started fresh was to try and get out of the ‘weird storage use’ poo poo that always happens, and I’m one day in and Music is reporting as eating up 6gb of data in the settings > usage page, but apparently (and correctly) there are 0 songs on here according to both Music itself and the About pane.

How is it *still* so hard for a phone system that’s nearly 15 years in to accurately tell you what is using up what.

Stebe wouldn’t want you to know things like this, you just always have to assume the phone knows better than you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Don't fix the camera, just delete instagram.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm sure the girl at AT&T I had to deal with the other day after web process just didn't work "accidentally" subscribed me to their lovely $20/mo protection plan without asking, and only had my best interests at heart. And I love how the emails asking me to review the bill and pricing that just leads to a blank page isn't a bad sign at all.

Seriously, gently caress everyone and everything in this chain of 'just trying to buy a phone' experience thus far.

Maneki Neko posted:

This is the worst part of the mobile companies right now (it seems to be everyone in the US at least) and they do not give a poo poo. Feels like it's going to take a big lawsuit to fix this.

Yup, I worked phones 13 ish years now, worked for 3 out of 4 of the companies so far.

In retrospect, it’s honestly amazing to me the cell companies (all of them) didn’t get busted for similar practices to Wells Fargo. But hell, they didn’t.

Now, ratio goals keep going up where some of them obviously just make it where you have to slam to hit the goals they want (slam is adding a feature without permission, etc).

It’s weird , because imo parts of it were way worse 5-7 years ago than now. But A. Time is a circle, and B. Growth is stalling , so it’s def possible pressure it coming back to keep adding even though it’s super saturated.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

I don’t understand why people continue to be taken advantage of with poo poo like that and ever increasing lease agreements when much cheaper options exist in the prepaid realm and buying a refurb or even a new device outright is stupid easy.

The entire setup is where all information and convenience is on postpaid. People don’t know how to research sure, but people have finite knowledge and energy, so at some point you “just gotta get it done with.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi the Ars review is finally up.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/iphone-14-and-14-pro-review-a-picture-is-worth-a-thousand-dollars/

Looks like they knocked it out of the park with dynamic island. And as we know, it’s still small jumps overall if you have a 13 or 12.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the new Home app is a confusing mess?

No I’m not a fan. I’m going to sit down and see if I can re organize , but needing to do that alone means not an improvement.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

guess i was just lucky, but message sync between my iphone/macbook/ipad trio worked instantly and almost flawlessly for years, probably going all the way back to my iphone 6, and only became unreliable this year

i don't ever use an ipad anymore so i haven't checked if that still works. i think the one i have is from 2015 or so and probably doesn't get the latest ios updates anymore, so might not be a useful test anyway.

Yeah, hard to say, because I’m similar to the other poster, message sync between my iPhone and Mac has been iffy for years. I will say recently i think it’s better, but that’s anecdotal.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

This is actually why I'm considering: Verizon is offering me $800 for my 11 Pro, so it'd make the upgrade to the 14 Pro cost me about $300 or 400 depending on the memory size I go with.

Make sure you do this this week, promo ends Sept 30th.

Don’t feel obligated, but if you need help ordering feel free to PM me , I’m off today but work the rest of the month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

So I’m on a 11 Pro, and with Verizon’s offer of $800 for trade in, I’ve seriously been debating on going to a 14 Pro, but now I’m even thinking/tempted by the 14 Pro Max.

Has anyone gone from one of the standard size Pros to a Pro Max and have feedback on it?

I had a 6+ then a 8+, but so much of the size was take up by non-screen elements that when I went to the 11 Pro, it seemed like such an improvement.

The +’s always seemed big, and I know the Pro Max is about that size, but having it be all screen seems so nice…

Really really depends on if you think you’ll be ok with 2 hand use versus 1 hand use.

The max is def bigger. So bigger screen, cool. But it’s bigger in pocket , bigger to hold, etc and some people are cool with it some are not.

Fyi the promos end tomorrow (Friday) so anyone upgrading you’re gonna want to do it today or tomorrow.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to help you order the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Looking for some thoughts. I have a launch-purchased iPhone 12 mini and love the size. Battery health is 88%.

Should I…

1) Keep the phone until the battery is unusable or I break it.

2) Replace it now with a 13 mini for $350 after trade in. Better (and new) battery and newer chip and smaller notch are the only benefits I think.

3) Deal with reality on the larger screen and get a 14 for $550. This would get a better front camera and the satellite stuff vs the 13.

If you do the 14 do the 14 pro. Worth the difference IMO.

That said, if you want the smaller phone get the 13 Mini.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It’s probably c band versus MM (although you never know I guess).

MM is able 5000 band, it’s the one that gets crazy fast speeds (1000+) but is worthless for actually having any ranging / penetrating buildings and walls.

C band is the one that is 3500-3800ish, speeds are usually 100-300, travels decently, and is known for initially trying to kill airplanes but not really that was over blown.

For context, LTE / base 5G on 700 gets like, 20-100, although I’ve seen it go up to 200 now.

Fun fact: I have an old Verizon plan, so my personal phone technically does not get c band, but my work phone does. Not that I take my work phone everywhere , but at times when my work phone has c band, my personal phone got similar speeds on speed test. So IMO, having C Band itself doesn’t make a difference, but I think I’ve noticed more consistent speeds both on and off, as in it’s freeing up capacity on the base network. Super YMMV though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

What is it with US providers making up their own names for these standards?

Dude, if you catch me on a day when I am bored, I can post a lot of crazy stories here on poo poo I’ve seen working for US carriers in a customer facing setting for the past 13 years.

But if we’re talking the ultimate one, honestly there’s no better one than this:

https://techcrunch.com/2013/11/14/isis-the-mobile-payments-initiative-from-att-verizon-t-mobile-launches-across-the-u-s/

https://techcrunch.com/2014/09/03/isis-mobile-wallet-rebrands-to-softcard-to-distance-from-miltant-terror-group/

I had my wallet stolen 2 years ago, and the absolute worst part of it is that my AmEx ISIS card was stolen with it , so I no longer have proof ther I was a card carrying member of ISIS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was at a music festival yesterday and couldn’t send a single text message, let alone a picture, just about all day. The signal would fluctuate between “SOS” (only?) and 3 bars of 5G+ on ATT, but nothing would go through.

Thanks 5G!

Serious question: do you know if you are on a plan with priority data or not ?

All 3 carriers have cheaper plans where you get slowed down for first, or higher plans where you pay for priority access.

I will say, if I remember right I would bet you are on the higher plan, but just checking.

They all said, it’s hosed up that you can pay for priority network access in the US and is annoying. loving rip Net Neutrality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

i would pay $20 a month for a streaming music service where the apps were good

They already killed RDio years ago :negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

it was a cool idea but unfortunately required state and local governments to give a gently caress at all, which they mostly did not do

100% this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone had an issue with texting Android people photos recently? It takes forever to send then just finally fails every time. Multiple different Android people.

Obvious solution is to only have friends and associates who use iPhones.

Also, no, although I use google voice more so I wouldn’t run into it that much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Hi thread, I googled this and couldn't find a public answer, anyone know for the US:

in the city where I live, thieves who demand your possessions and iPhone™ at gunpoint are experienced enough to demand that you remove your iPhone from Find My iPhone and to verbally say your passcode before you give it to them.

If this happened to someone, can they get their IMEI from their carrier or can the cops use the IMEI to 'see' the phone if it tries to use service or tries to be re-registered on a different carrier?

Unfortunately it wouldn't be possible to remove any data from the phone or otherwise use Apple services to find it, but I am wondering if there is literally any way for anybody (like cops) to track it once it is taken. Or if everybody just gives up at that point for practicality reasons and the phone now belongs to the thief.

So I take it you got robbed, which my condolences if so.

So , carriers systems aren’t perfect , but when you search an IMEI , they can probably see a few things (depending on how the systems work).

-is it on the lost / stolen list
-is it unlocked
-is it compatible
-a deeper search can show then what accounts it has been on for that carrier , but of course they can’t see other Carriers. Verizon doesn’t share their records with ATT for instance (other than lost / stolen).

The answer here is if you get robbed and it’s that bad , you still can call your carrier afterwards, report it lost / stolen, and the device won’t work in the US. Which doesn’t really prevent it, because usually thieves are looking to sell overseas anyway, but yeah I would say it def wouldn’t be usable service wise in the US.

The find my iPhone being turned off in this example more is bad because of potential personal theft issues plus obviously the phone doesn’t get bricked.

The IMEI lost stolen list is not shared with cops as far as I know, and I really hope it is not. But again, they’re auto flagged in the Us upon being reported stolen, so I would say it removed the need for police , who quite frankly won’t help you retrieve a lost phone anyway, it’s very low on their list of poo poo to do (which I won’t list here).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for posting man, this is great info.

In retrospect I definitely should have put (I did not get robbed) at the bottom of my post, I was not, it just happens a lot here and tons of thieves know to get you to remove Find My iPhone and get your passcode now.

Out of curiosity why wouldn't you want a list of stolen IMEIs shared with cops? I would have hoped them and, let's say FBI who then would work with municipalities, could quite easily cross reference stolen IMEIs and check when they are pinged to register for new service, then cops could have a chat with either the thieves or whoever thieves sold to, which could lead to the thieves ? Just a pipe dream I acknowledge, but it sure would be nice to systematically find a way to combat armed robbery like that

:page3:

Short answer is don’t trust cops and law enforcement , so this is a good bit opinion.

That said, I will say having worked in stores until recently, cops won’t do anything anyway. And not in a negative way in this instance.

Example: your phone gets stolen, and you track via find my iPhone that it’s at some house or whatever. You go to the police and show that. What do you think they will do ? The answer, is that they will tell you they have more important matters, there’s probably whatever legal stuff with them going there, and lord knows whatever else, and they won’t go and try and recover your phone. And regardless of opinions on police, I pretty much agree with this. It’s small potatoes , and yeah what are they gonna say when they stop by anyway.

So honestly. There’s no point IMO, and it’s still small theft compared to so many other things (plus the volume of phones stolen) so it just isn’t manageable for police to handle.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was finally allowed by corporate overlords to get the 14 Pro (they actually allowed it almost two months earlier than usual at least).

Dynamic island is def a dumb name, but IMO super slick. Makes the screen look bigger, and even just for notifications already is a better solution. I don’t know how much activity I need apps using it for, but it’s kind of not a big deal either way.

It feels faster than my 13 Pro, and I’m not sure if that is because it is noticeably faster, if it’s dynamic island making ir looking faster, or just me psychologically expecting it to be.

Camera seems very good so far. Been a busy week, so not much time for pictures.

Overall, obviously most people with a 12 or 13 don’t need to upgrade , but A+ , would upgrade again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Electronaut posted:

Important question: what color?

Purple. Had to do purple , even though I have a black case so I can’t see it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

It’s been a bit since I’ve done it, but basically you can set which phone number defaults for data. You should set that the be the Italian number.

In theory iMessage is data where it then should process correctly (aka not use roaming data), but honestly not sure since I’ve never done that.

As I’m sure you know, Verizon roaming is $10 a day, and is triggered by an outgoing text message, any incoming or outgoing call, or data usage. You *should* get notified of you trigger that. Which , honestly will tell you if you need to tweak a setting or whether it is working correctly or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Does Verizon still have that ridiculous 500mb data cap for international roaming?

Oh absolutely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Cool, this was my plan for the trip, right down to adding the eSIM in Airalo. Wife and I both have iPhones and figured iMessage and FaceTime Audio would be good enough for if we get split up.

Yeah, this is why I don't care to use Verizon. $16 for 10 GB through Airalo or $100 for half that? No contest there.

Oh yeah, the roaming rates are very stupid.

They (of course) have never said what they are actually are charged roaming rate wise. It’s obviously not $10 a day, but man I have always been curious to know what US carriers are actually charged for roaming rates, which of course would tell you how much they overcharge for it.

I don’t work in international, but I occasionally provision or explain it, and man, it’s amazing how many people in the US both just don’t get the concept of a local number in said country, and also just won’t go through the “hassle” of checking. US carriers have people here trained very well to just accept and not research IMO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Verizon? Sure they tell you

Right, but the question is is that what the local Italian provider is actually charging Verizon those rates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

Last I checked before just going T-Mobile: Switching to a local phone number breaks iMessage sometimes, can disrupt 2FA at exactly the moment you are most likely to be asked since you are suspiciously logging into your bank from a different country, and prevents easy access to things like voicemail.

Maybe things are better with dual sim?

? People do not have this issue, with the exception of voicemails, last i checked. Like, once a number ports, no issues. In the US at least.

Voicemails are on the carrier side, so you could lose voicemails.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Not porting a number, pulling out your home country SIM and using a native country SIM for the duration of your holiday.

I don't know if things are better now but in 2019 it was a pain.

Oh yeah, this is a whole different ballgame. Sucks , because really the answers are 1. Get google voice (if you are based in the US) or 2. Just pay roaming charges and turn on said SIM once or twice a week.

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah, we’re talking about.

Last I checked, the hassle was considerable. But I haven’t needed to think about it for a few years so maybe it’s all good now.

Yeah, porting between carriers is *mostly* a lot easier than it was even a year ago. There can be some issues or delays porting from prepaid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Nah, amateur instagrammers need the wide angle for macro food shots

Wide angle is the regular camera ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Ultrawide. You know what i mean though. :colbert:

Lol wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I legit misread it , but it’s been a long week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/26/23423977/iphone-usb-c-eu-law-joswiak-confirms-compliance-lightning

There ya go , iphone will eventually be USB C. Probably the 15 next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

if i received a notification for literally every event in a hockey game i would shoot my own phone

give me like the big ones, goals and major penalties (double minors? 5 on 3s?) and someone getting carted off to the dressing room. i'm not micah you can tell me the corsi later.

Jokes on you , I don’t get many notifications from my team (because the Flyers are really bad).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

"gritty jiggle"
"gritty eats a hot dog"
"gritty murders a fascist"

micah should do plots of how cool gritty is

WE MAY WIN BUT I MAY DIE OF GRITTY

Leafs fans notifications go dark in late April.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

The usb-c thing is by 2024 right? I figured they’d milk it for as long as possible.

Yeah, but probably best to bite the bullet next year so it’s sellable as they release other models.

I didn’t really read through the legislation whether they have to stop selling previously released lightning charger phones or not. Like, will they be able to sell the 14 once the dates take effect.

IMO, unless it’s super cheaper to make the 13 and 14 with a USB (which would be kind of lol if it is), this is a Europe only issue, so they would probably just only sell the 15 in Europe. Which, that is millions of sales lost , so I guess it depends on how much it costs to alter the older phones to USB C (I assume it’s a lot but I’m not exactly an expert).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A. Wait, you were banned for arguing about trains ? Like rail road trains ? Why would you need multiple accounts to talk about cabooses ?

B. VPN is something where it’s your info routing your train through one single tunnel. i would pay both so it both chugs along properly properly and less likely you get rail roaded and have your info train wrecked in the future. Def something you would want a front cabin for versus a back of the train car, you don’t want to go off the rails with a sub par track.