Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
New thread smell is fantastic. Much like my very not new iPhone XR Yellow :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I make sense of the “Maximum Capacity” readout on the Battery Health setting page?

My XR reads 85%. Does that mean, all things being equal, my phone has 15% shorter battery life against another XR with a new battery if they’re performing the same battery drain benchmark?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Soul Glo posted:

Nope! It’s not linear, it follows its own weird battery magic science. Typically people find iPhone batteries useless in the low 80s.
For a long time I thought it was linear, but Apple’s definition of a battery being “consumed” at 80% felt a little odd to me, so I’m glad I asked. My battery has seemed less robust this year, the degradation felt more than “15%”.

The real question now is whether I replace my battery now or soldier on until Fall 2023 to replace the entire phone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

85% is really low considering the phone starts at 100%... How long does it take to get to that number?

I think my iPhone was 90-something before I reset it.

I mean I’ve had this XR since launch day. Sept 2018. And I’ve used it extensively each day because I’m a little goon.

If I replace the battery, does it help at all with resale value? I figure Apple doesn’t care as long as the phone turns on and the glass isn’t cracked. Would I have luck on Swappa next year? Or sell it on Craigslist (while wearing a stab resistant vest)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I cannot wait until apple makes a shatterproof phone and I will buy it on day one so I can finally be free of cases. About once a month I drop my phone in such a way that it would have definitely shattered had I not had a case put on.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It took 4 people nearly 2 hours at AT&T to activate the drat thing. Also the manager took a freshly rebooted XR I was trading in and swiped up the app switcher and promptly closed like 30 savestated apps and said I should keep on top of that to keep my phone running faster, and man that dumb belief is never going to die is it.
I dont know why this revolted me as much as it did. It felt like I was there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Vegetable posted:

I reaaaaally hate the new video player. The interface covers the video. And I don’t know what’s going on but when you tap the screen in a certain way it just starts jumping forward in a kinda erratic way. It’s nothing like YouTube’s interface for instance and it gives you no clue what you’re doing to cause the thing that’s happening.
its this weird momentum based "drag to scrub" feature that seemingly activates anywhere on the screen, not the playback bar at the bottom.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Why does the iOS mail app send me a notification whenever my iCloud.com email address gets a Junk email?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah Siri voice tends to go to drunk disjointed mode for random reasons for me but that goes back to iOS 15. I can’t figure out why it does that some times but not others.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I updated to 16.0.2 and it looks like the clipboard pasting spam is still going on in the Awful app. Seemingly other posters itt had their issue corrected. So what gives?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm not sure what this is implying. A keyboard for the phone? A stand where I don't have to pick the phone up?

There’s Bluetooth keyboards with a switch that you can toggle for devices. So say you get a text while using your keyboard for your desktop, hit the switch for device 2 and then you can reply to your texts easily.

American McGay posted:

You can emulate the iPad version of Messages on Windows and it works well enough after a little setup.
But this may potentially be a better answer, because I’ve never heard of this before.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I had this issue today. Also search Can be slow as hell on a 13 pro max

Weird, thought it was just me with my XR.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
my dad's phone has the same thing. I have no idea what dads do to make that happen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is the Apple Store Genius Bar experience always this painful with waiting to get my phone battery replaced?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
It’s weird because my old battery at 83% health would do that occasionally but it would never trigger that flag in the battery health menu that says the phone is crashing.

Unless it actually wasn’t crashing and restarting itself because of the battery but because of something else? Who knows

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
For what it’s worth, I called the Secretary of State voter hotline to see if me (re)registering to vote this late in the game, after my outdated address ballot arrived, would be an issue. Lady on the phone said I should be getting an updated ballot with the new address and precinct in the mail soon.

If it doesn’t show up, I’d have to vote in person, which is something I’d prefer not to do at the end of a long workday.

Also find it really funny how hard Prop 27 tried to make itself related to homelessness instead of gambling.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
iPhone thread tag looks a lot like the Los Angeles thread tag. I’m very tired

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My iPhone is starting to fill up with space. Noticed that "System Data" is taking a whopping 24GB. How do I size that down? That cant be iOS, because iOS right next to it is 9GB, right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does this alarm thing happen to all phones or is it just an iPhone 14 thing? I feel like both those happened around the same time but I can’t be certain.

This rock solid stability can only be found with an iPhone XR, baby

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My yellow iPhone XR is getting long in the tooth and will be replaced with an iPhone 15 this year. What are the chances we get fun phone colors this next generation because I cannot handle these offensively bland offerings

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Still nuts to me that apple has replaceable batteries for its AirTags. I wonder why they did that instead of coming up with 5 reasons why they didn’t and why you should be happy it’s that way.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This year is gonna be the upgrade year for me, and something im curious about is how much storage I'd want for my next phone. This is what it looks like currently with 128GB.

iOS says that "System Data" is just under 39GB and that This value will fluctuate according to system needs. Without this, I would have 73GB free instead of the 34GB that I have now. How "fluid", for lack of a better term, is this reserved space? Would it shrink up as I continue to fill my phone with apps/photos? Is it kind of like how Windows shows a lot of extra RAM being used when in reality its holding it for other resources and can properly utilize it when its needed?

I don't want to overspend on a 15 this fall when 128gb would suit me as it has since 2018, but the existence of this fat chunk of storage potentially being used up gives me pause.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Uh so when I got my 5c back in like 2014, that was a blank slate after coming from Android. From 5C to7 Plus, I did that iCloud transfer thing where the new phone magically gets all the apps and settings and wallpapers and everything ported over. Then I did the same process with upgrading the 7 Plus to the yellow XR. Does reclaiming that 30 or so gigs require me to set up the iPhone 15 (which will definitely launch with yellow as an option) as a new phone and not do all the automatic backup icloud magic?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did a fresh install on my 14 Pro and it’s at 25gb in system data. It’s just, and always has been, incredibly bad at regulating that stuff. MacOS isn’t much better.

i was hoping this wasnt the case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I use my phone moderately heavily especially in theme parks like Disneyland and a 10k mah Anker power brick (around $20?) is more than enough for me. When it’s time to recharge I have the battery in my backpack and a cable running from the smallest backpack pouch to my front pocket where my phone is.

Idk what your specific circumstances are but it’s a system that works for me without any hassle. Unless you really need the convenience of 0 cables I don’t see the need for a MagSafe here.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Razer poo poo some of the consistently worst made products you can buy froma build quality standpoint

Nsfw Warning: gamer fluids

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I feel like I’m kinda going nuts with notifications. I feel like I’ve cleared notifications before by swiping on them. Then later on they’ll appear on my lock screen again after being hidden for a while? This seemed to have happened when apple split notifications up between “Notification Center” and “lock screen”, so maybe an OS update or two ago?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I cannot wait to upgrade to the 15 this year. Half because some apps cannot operate smoothly, other half because this and my AirPods are the only holdouts left on lightning. I’m also hoping the 15 has better night/lowlight photos than this venerable XR.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does Siri straight up not know where I live or work anymore? Whenever I say “Siri take me home/to work”

It will sometimes direct me to a place close to, but not, actually my house or job. It’ll acknowledge that it’s taking me to either one of two destinations but it’ll just take me somewhere else completely.

Or course, typing Home or Work in Apple Maps will take me to the proper address.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I feel like my XR to 15 leap is gonna be pretty minor, which is a shame. The biggest pain points are certain bloated apps (looking at you, Grindr) crashing on my phone, as well as FaceTime also causing heat issues that cause my screen to dim.

But aside from that, I feel like all I have to look forward to is better night/low light photos. Oh and less reliance on lightning cables.

I’m still looking forward to a new phone come September/October, but it’s not going to feel as big of a leap as the 5C-7 Plus was. That was exciting.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jose Oquendo posted:

You know everyone's loving with you, right? Both of your devices are water proof to a degree. They are fine.

My iPhone XR has taken a full dip in the bath tub and my Apple Watch goes with me in the shower. You’re extremely fine op but thanks for the laugh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Im helping my buddy cop a refurb apple product since apple charges a grip on New. Is https://refurb-tracker.com/ the right one to use? I know the thread had a favorite but I can’t remember which.

And also to be sure im relaying the right information to him - refurb stuff gets a new battery, new “shell”, same warranty as new…and new screen I think? I feel like at least one of those is wrong but my googling is turning up conflicting info.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

rafikki posted:

The linked site just sets up alerts to tell you when apple adds new refurb inventory. I’ve used it a couple of times over the years to snag iPads, worked just fine.

Yeah sorry I left that important sentence out. We just want alerts since the iPad Air 5th gen he wants is out of stock. He’d be buying direct from the refurb Apple Store, he just wants alerts for first dibs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I’m selling one of my buddies my XR on the cheap at the end of this year so she can finally be a blue bubbler

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Kirios posted:

Y'all are pretty broke brained if you honestly care about green vs. blue crap. You aren't teenagers.

It’s entirely about the iMessage features, facetime, and knowing a video sent won’t get all mega compressed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The App Store ads really bug me for some reason. It’s the same match 3 puzzlers I see literally everywhere else. Just how many whales are supporting these games?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I figured Apple News+ meant you were paying also to *not* get ads. Jesus that’s awful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Endless Mike posted:

lol you are not getting access to hundreds of periodicals for $10/month without ads, unfortunately

Those who have completely disengaged from news to keep anxiety disorders in check stay winning 💪

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Not sure if this is a Siri being garbage problem or an old phone (XR) problem, but does Siri ever acknowledge your commands but doesn’t do anything about them?

Hey Siri, call Goon

“Calling Goon…” (doesn’t call goon)

Hey Siri, take me home.

“Getting directions for home” (doesn’t open Maps and create a route)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That second one happens to me constantly?! My phone *knows* where home/work is, because if I type it in maps, it’s exactly where it should be. Siri on the other hand will proudly proclaim that it’s getting directions to home, then take me a few neighborhoods away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

xzzy posted:

It’s the tortie that had a phone impact trauma. She has clearly not recovered because she’s constantly upside down.

After coparenting a tortie for 2 years I’m afraid to say I think they’re just Like That.