Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My sense is if we get to the point where the display cut outs are no longer necessary, then what’s in the dynamic island now will show up in that general area, and it’ll be completely invisible when the iPhone 14 is displaying just the cut out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/18/iphone-14-pro-camera-module-shaking-and-rattling/

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max has a major camera bug in 3rd party applications like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat. Apparently the OIS freaks the gently caress out and goes into overdrive with physical shaking and loud buzzing noises because the apps aren't optimized to work with the new OIS in the 14 Pros. However some claim it should've been fixed at the OS level and Apple is to blame. Whatever the cause, Apple is apparently giving out free new devices because while it may or may not be a hardware issue, it can cause permanent hardware damage to the camera.

Some on Reddit say they didn't notice the problem until opening a 3rd party app, some say it happens in the default Camera app as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wku5Eff4XU

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1570913076320567299

I didn't have the issue using the default camera app or on Telegram using my 14 Pro Max. I don't have TikTok or Snapchat and I don't post on Instagram.

I had it happen once today in Snapchat, force closed it and haven't had it happen since

As far as I can tell it didn't do any permanent damage?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I managed to play a game for like an hour without moving at all where the Face ID sensor could see, and always on did turn off, so it uses motion from the TrueDepth sensor too to decide whether or not to keep it active or not.

Pretty cool actually

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rabid Snake posted:

I’d still go to the Apple Store to get it replaced. Who knows if it weakened the electronic stabilizer with the rattling? I heard they’re doing replacements with ease

I’m just not going to get it replaced until I know the fix is out, seems a bit wasteful to swap when it might happen again

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rally posted:

Anyone else having a camera bug on the 14 pro in apps that scan barcodes where the camera won’t focus on the barcode and won’t scan it? Specifically happening to me in two different food logging apps. The barcode looks clean and clear on the normal camera app but blurry and out of focus in the other apps. I found one guy mentioning a similar thing when I searched but nothing more.

This is likely related to the shakey cam bug from what I can tell

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hed posted:

I might have missed it, if I delete photos and redownload it am I going to be throwing away pics of my kids forever or
Something

that's 5gb of thumbnails on your phone, or it hasn't decided to optimize

what else is taking space on your phone per the storage thingy

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

shrike82 posted:

i picked up the new airpod pros - significant improvement in ANC and competitive with the Sony WF-1000XM4 without having to resort to the latter's tight earbud seal

ditto -- i find them better at the bass than my old airpods pro although they were at the genius bar and failed literally every test so i don't really want to compare since i'm planning on letting someone else have the replacement airpods pro 1

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Violator posted:

Well something fishy is going on I guess. I grabbed the iMazing macOS app and looked at the battery maintenance info for my phone.

So my battery has 858 charge cycles and currently has 100.5% charge capacity left? Actually having more charge capacity than the battery is designed for after three years isn't bad, especially since Apple says you're expected to have 80% capacity after 500 charge cycles. :P Something must be wrong.

I might do this just to see what it does and to avoid having to go to the fruit stand until I try everything.

I'm still show Peak Performance has turned on. But now that you mention it I feel like I may experienced some weird reboots here and there so it feels like it should be off.

Yeah, this will probably be the end result.

I’d say your battery is toasted, take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say, you should have a lot lower than 91 percent battery health

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder when AirPod Pros will move to USB-C since we just got a new model. I for one don't want to deal with a USB-C iPhone 15 Pro and Lightning AirPod Pro 2 (or even my current v1).

I worried about that a bit, then I realized these two things:

- they’ll possibly offer a usbc case for sale to replace your current case
- there’s enough ways to charge the AirPods Pro 2 case (wireless, MagSafe, Apple Watch) that I don’t really mind, since any time I’d want to charge my AirPods while traveling I’d also have my watch puck

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Three Olives posted:

This isn't really iPhone specific but this is the first time I have noticed this since I moved from an XS to 14 Pro...

Are carriers hiding MM towers in neighborhoods? I live in a fairly dense neighborhood absolutely full of trees, our LTE coverage isn't even great but I was shocked to see 3 bars of 5G+ inside my house, 1-2 of LTE is common. I know AT&T has invested heavily in infrastructure in my neighborhood, we get 5GB fiber here (Pretty sure they are trying to juice their numbers because we live in a upper middle class neighborhood in one of the poorest/minority heavy ZIPS in the city.)

I've seen typical neighborhood 5G MM installs and none of that has gone on here unless they are hiding them in alleys or something.

this is likely c-band, all the carriers started merging mmWave and c-band as connection names

For ex: Verizon calls c-band or mmWave 5GUW, t-mo calls it 5GUC

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Three Olives posted:

As far as I can tell 5G+ means it's on AT&T's branding of mmWave, Verizon/T-Mobile iPhones will show mmWave 5GUW and 5GUC.

https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2021/c-band-5G.html

quote:

And how will you know if you are in an area with the faster C-Band or mmWave 5G? You’ll see an indicator that simply shows “5G+.”

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

I never had a X or a 11 but on 12, 13, 14 it's been good.

Paying via NFC is still "worse" than TouchID, simply because of the ergonomics of holding out a card to a card reader.

If you have 2FA notifications that you have to accept with biometric then it's also slightly "worse" assuming your phone is lying more or less flat on the desk.

that's why you buy an apple watch

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

My condolences.
Probably the easiest option is to plug the phone into a computer with "Keep Originals" setting turned on.
Copy everything to the computer. If it's a PC you probably can't actually look at the photos (they will be HEIC) but at least you have another copy of everything.

Then to get them into your iCloud, you can upload them through iCloud Photos web interface.

If you don't have access to a computer at all, you can probably do some fuckery with Shared Photo Libraries.

HEIC is totally viewable on Windows.

(you need the hevc codec pack that's either included with OEM PCs or the 99 cent one from the store)

Sorry for your loss.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Dang, advanced data protection is not loving around. It won't let you turn it on until all apple devices on your account are updated to the latest OS. It also generates a really long recovery key.. which is fine, but it's odd to me there's no method to choose my own key.

Yeah, choosing their own only means there's going to be a million users with using "password123" for their key but it still seems like something they should have done.

As far as I'm aware, that's literally your encryption key (or a facsimile of it). BitLocker doesn't let you pick your BitLocker Recovery key, FileVault doesn't let you pick your recovery key, etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

It definitely smells like the new 3D Touch, perhaps even worse since it's gated to iPhones Pro.

VVV you didn't really miss much considering that the feature was only released this week, after all the games (but one) had been finished.

Eh, they're going to need to put the camera and Face ID stuff somewhere and the under display solution is kinda not great.

I suspect Dynamic Island is going to be around a while.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bagmonkey posted:

Hello fellow iPhone users I have finally joined your ranks please send me your hottest protips like what's my best option for freeing my password vault from Google's deathgrips?

I like 1Password since I can use it everywhere

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, for whatever reason, apple NEVER implemented this (and at this point obviously isn’t going to). It was a huge pain in the rear end for customers for years. And for people who don’t have unlimited data, obviously still is.

It seems like carriers are able to tell the phone when to reset. I just added T-Mobile as my primary line and it now rolls over data usage every month.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

With their own app or widget yes, but carriers can’t access the settings apple app / cell usage as far as I know.

Seems like it works for me? :shrug:

In fact I no longer have the option to manually reset my usage stats, it’s enforced by billing cycle.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 4, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, no lie , mind blown.

Ironic that the first carrier to REALLY push unlimited data is the one with a competent data tracker link to iPhone , but hey this is America baby (and yes in the end all 3 are incompetent).

This must be relatively new, as when I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon roughly a year ago, this wasn’t the way my data usage behaved.

edit: according to Reddit so lol, but they claim this has been a feature for years and only T-Mobile has bothered to implement it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, no lie , mind blown.

Ironic that the first carrier to REALLY push unlimited data is the one with a competent data tracker link to iPhone , but hey this is America baby (and yes in the end all 3 are incompetent).

after a month, it also lets you compare "This Billing Period" and "Last Billing Period"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bolind posted:

I guess this is as good a thread as any: is there an AirTag keychain hanger where the AirTag doesn't fall out if a mouse sneezes in the same zipcode? Looking at you, original Apple silicone version.

The Belkin AirTag case is IMO the best one.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

the Belkin is so (relatively) cheap it feels weird to buy a knockoff

I've got two AirTags and a Chipolo Spot. One tag on my keys, one in my backpack, card in my wallet

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

some kinda jackal posted:

So I have CarPlay enabled on my 2017 GLA45, and if I look at my phone it shows the "use carplay when locked" slider enabled, but somehow when I plug the phone into my car in a locked state the MB still shows "no carplay device connected" until I unlock the phone. Anyone experience something like this? Going to try to re-pair my phone with the car next time I'm in it, but just felt odd since it seems like that's exactly what the slider should enable.

e: Latest iOS on 14 Pro.

The slider only allows CarPlay to connect if your phone has relatively recently unlocked. If you wake up late, sprint out the door, and connect your phone, you'll need to unlock.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

What does Apple use for their traffic / speed trap alerts? Because it's always completely wrong and I'm curious if they take so long to propagate it's useless or have the dumbest drivers on the road submitting reports.

I think Apple is intentionally vague about speed traps.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Mental Hospitality posted:

As someone who's never had an iPhone, what would be a good recommendation for a used device to get into? I don't really want to spend more than 300USD. I've been looking into the XS series on swappa, but they are getting a little old.

Should I worry about the quality of *Brand New Aftermarket Screen!*? Would an SE 2nd or 3rd gen be a better option due to newer SoC's? After using big OLED display phones for so long I don't know how I'd feel about such a small LCD.

Goons don’t let goons buy iPhones with aftermarket screens.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TACD posted:

If we’re bitching about notifications allow me to throw in a “gently caress you” to Uber, which regularly abuses push notifications to spam ads for Uber Eats at me. I don’t know why they’re allowed to get away with it (well, I have an idea) but I just delete the app after my trip on the rare occasions I have to use it now.

i found that they're good at not using time sensitive notifications for ads at least, so i have uber set to go in the summary, except for time sensitive stuff which notifies me directly. everyone wins

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Grumbles posted:

It’s just a new thing for everyone I think. I can see it and I don’t have any developer account bizzo

Now that beta profiles aren't a thing, there's two possibilities:
- you have public beta access without a developer account
- developer account beta access early

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is there a way to remove Public Beta Access from my Apple ID?

Nope, that's available to everyone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

An 88 gig backup feels very very large. My backup is like 4 gigs.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i hate when my phone gets lazy and i keep having to shake, prod, and poke the fucker to get it to do anything :mad:

"and one more thing, we're introducing iPhone Bop-It Edition, we think you're gonna love it"

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

it's really annoying that AirPods are lightning whilst Beats Studio buds are usb c, and the iPad Air i have is also usb c. makes things confusing to manage.

AirPods Pro I’m not too annoyed by. They charge wirelessly. Anywhere I’d bring the AirPods that would need charging would also have the requirement of bringing my Apple Watch charger, so two birds one stone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mildly annoyed I bought new Airpods Pro since they have Lightning and I'd really like to move as much stuff to USB-C as possible, but I guess I'm stuck with Lightning for awhile. (I would be, anyway, since between the AppleTV remote, PowerBeats Pro, and probably some other random things, I'll need it anyway, but I would really like to not carry Lightning on travel if I can avoid it.)

If you have AirPods Pro gen 2, just charge them with your Apple Watch charger when traveling.

(You have an Apple Watch, right?)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

FCKGW posted:

There's nothing on that page that says an out-of-warranty battery replacement needs to be 80% health?

I just got back from the Apple store that swapped my 85% battery on my Mac no questions asked.

It’s one of those “they might but don’t expect it”.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

That is loving weird. It has happened on my previous 3 phones regardless of the OS. I'm on ATT 5G so it's not like I'm on some weird MVNO doing weird poo poo. Appreciate it man.

Do you have iCloud private relay? I’m curious to see what happens if you turn it off in safari.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

I will absolutely try that. I didn't even think of that impacting Apple Music.

It doesn’t. It’s the only thing that explains why the native apps don’t work on cellular, but Safari does.

eta: maybe a routing issue between that station and your cell carrier, and Private Relay is getting around it, but since that only works for safari, that would be why.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah I was hoping for something to let me punch numbers in. That one is three pounds a year, which isn’t much but I don’t want another subscription.

No interactive widgets at the moment, so it wouldn’t be possible to do a punch in numbers one.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

My 14 Pro is at 90% and I feel like it's been noticeably worse than my 12 Pro and 13 Pro were.
I wonder what the chance of getting a battery replacement under warranty is, if it ticks to 89% before the first year is through.

zero

80% is the minimum health

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Skeezy posted:

No way that UPS or whoever delivers the phones earlier. I always figured they may get the phone early but they'd never deliver it early.

Apple explicitly has a "do not deliver until street date" flag for UPS

the closest they can get is your local UPS warehouse until the 22nd

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rolo posted:

What about the little protectors that go over the camera bump? Do they add glare and stuff? Ordering this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC91QX42?psc=1&smid=AG8AYSVS7E5IO&ref_=chk_typ_quicklook_imgToDp

lol don't do this to your camera lenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

I'm in the camp warning people away from Anker now. I've had enough of their charging gadgets fail after 1-2 years that I'll never buy their stuff again.. up to two phone stands and one power brick.

Phone stand sits on your desk never moving and then one day it's all "nope, no more power for you".

I've had zero bad experiences with Anker and I've got:
- 3 port charger
- big rear end power bank
- more cables than i could shake a stick at

:shrug: