Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My XS is at 89% battery health. I have an upcoming trip planned and honestly I just want to give it the most chance of making it through the day as I possibly can while I wait for the USB-C phone.

Deep down I’m wondering how accurate that 89% is. I feel like any significant use of the phone from 6am (podcast, an hour of web browsing on my commute in, imessages every now and then) and I’m looking for a charger by maybe noon. Using GPS and maps and such will definitely not help.

I think right now I’m just trying to curb my expectations on how much “better” it will be after an OEM swap. I expect all the OS updates since the XS came out have made it heavier on usage overall, so I think I should just be prepared to not get any SIGNIFICANT improvement and still just stay on a battery bank the entire time to play it safe.

Not sure I have a question, guess I’m just soliciting thoughts..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I hear all the arguments for, and believe me I’m sympathetic. I haven’t ruled out just skipping the battery replacement, getting a good phone now and trading up to a USB-C phone when it arrives. If I’m being honest though, I don’t think anything on the new phones has really attracted me enough to want to upgrade yet, so the thought of shelling out thousands on a phone vs $100 on a battery replacement seems like a no brainer case for keeping the XS. Absent this trip I don’t think I’d even be giving this a second thought.

But the wildcard is that the XS running the iOS it was shipped with one day one isn’t the OS I’d be running today, even with a brand new battery, so I might see significant improvement just upgrading anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, the good battery life out of the box thing is really selling me, tbh. I’m going to go play with a 14 Pro after work and if it gels with me I might just buy outright, then trade in when USB phone hits.

AND still get a good battery bank for the trip.

And who knows, maybe I won’t be as interested in USB-C when the time comes. My big driving factor here is that I’m just tired of having two cables to charge everything. My AirPods and Phone are the last remnants of “oh hell did I remember to pack that cable?”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

American McGay posted:

Spending $1400 instead of carrying 2 cables like a baus.

Well, I mean yes, but also going from a five year old phone to a brand new phone counts for something too, probably :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well after all that hemming and hawing I ended up replacing the XS with a 14 Pro. By the time USB phone comes out I’ll see how I feel, but I took the “just get what you need now” advice to heart, and now I have a nice power efficient phone with a great camera for the trip. I won’t say it’s light years ahead of my experience with the XS, but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t feel nicer, so I’m overall pleased.

I haven’t had any bad experiences with USB-C charging to date, and the idea of being able to charge all my gadgets off of one cable appeals to me a great deal. If I’m travelling of course I’ll have multiple cables for multiple gadgets, but on your typical day out I think all my devices but phone and airpods are USB-C and I’d love to be able to just pop them onto a battery bank with one cable without having to think about it. But I mean the value prop for waiting for USB-C phone was way different when I was upgrading from an XS versus my 14 Pro. Now if USB comes out next year I really won’t have any argument why an upgrade isn’t “spending $1400 to change cables”. I may or may not do it, I guess we’ll see what the 15 brings :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are sleep alarms a new sleep-specific thing?

On my desk-side iPad I just have a 4am alarm in Clock.app that has the Alert tone (or whatever the loving klaxon is) that is set to go off M-F and I never have to think about it again.

Wakes me up and sounds like the start of WW3.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah gotcha. This is one of those things where I’ve been setting the alarm on the Clock app for years and hadn’t even considered there may be a better way.

Though lacking a harsh tone option I suppose it’s better I didn’t realize. Just RIP if you try to gently coax me awake with birdsong.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I have CarPlay enabled on my 2017 GLA45, and if I look at my phone it shows the "use carplay when locked" slider enabled, but somehow when I plug the phone into my car in a locked state the MB still shows "no carplay device connected" until I unlock the phone. Anyone experience something like this? Going to try to re-pair my phone with the car next time I'm in it, but just felt odd since it seems like that's exactly what the slider should enable.

e: Latest iOS on 14 Pro.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

The slider only allows CarPlay to connect if your phone has relatively recently unlocked. If you wake up late, sprint out the door, and connect your phone, you'll need to unlock.

Thats the nuance I’m missing, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got in my car today and for some reason my CarPlay was flipped backwards. I mean not like the screen contents were mirrored, but the navbar was on the right, all the elements which are traditionally on the right were on the left, etc.

I pulled into a parking lot and pulled up my phone to see if this was some iOS update change but I didn't see anything in CarPlay settings about display ... direction? Was fairly annoyed for the remainder of my drive and promptly forgot about it.

Then got in my car to ride home an hour later and it was back to normal.

Anyone else have this experience? :raise:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nuurd posted:

I think I’ve only seen that correctly happen when renting a right hand drive vehicle. I assume it’s part of the interface.

Oh that makes a lot of sense. Strange that it bugged out, but at least this puts my mind at ease as to why the heck they'd flip everything so thoroughly. Sometimes I forget the rest of the world exists :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I suspect it probably would, then. I have a third party wireless airplay dongle from ottocast which has been flawless in execution, and I suspect that if I yanked it and restarted it would probably have righted itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The second I bought a car with CarPlay I also picked up an aftermarket wireless CarPlay adapter and it's probably the best $100 investment in convenience I can remember in years.

I use the OttoCast U2-Air but there are any number of similar units.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There IS noticeable latency but I've become so used to it that I don't really .. notice .. it. Sorry that was a poor way of phrasing it. Like I've become so used to it that it's natural to me. I think a lot of it depends on what you do with carplay. When I'm just moving the cursor around and pressing pause/ff on music/podcasts/etc it's fine. It's maybe a few milliseconds.

When I hit the controls on my steering wheel for Siri I DO have to hold it for maybe a second or a second and a half before I hear the chime and know to start talking.

When I notice it most is when I'm using the nav joystick on my scroll wheel and panning around maps. It's very much a "click left, wait , see map update" which is way more noticeable because it's something I actually EXPECT to be timely based on my interaction with maps in a non-carplay setting.

Phone calls don't feel like they have any latency at all, but it's also very much a half duplex activity where I probably wouldn't notice it anyway.

I don't really know what a typical person's carplay use looks like so YMMV but I think the two things I can boil this down to is:

- For MY use, it has become seamless, and any "workarounds" I've become so accustomed to that I don't even consider them as annoyances. In fact I forget the latency exists. But ...
- ... even know that I remembered the latency exists, I still wouldn't go back to wired.

e: My Benzo does the same thing, it keeps playing podcasts/audio until I close the door.

e2: Oh and my carplay is entirely joystick based so I can't really comment on any other interaction. I actually expect that's a big part of why I don't care about the lag at all. If I was swiping around the screen with my finger I would probably expect it to be way way more responsive.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 15, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they can banish sports news from the News app onto its own leper app island I'm 100% for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think you can get that granular unfortunately. You'd have to just quickly jog through the upcoming year/years/however much time you can afford to put into this, and set up ad-hoc events if you see it happen to fall on a weekend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dave posted:

What's the use case? Could you get away with something like "The second friday of every month"?

I'm not OP but I can imagine a scenario where if I have rent due on the 16th of every month, I could have a lease that says "if it's a weekend then your rent is due the previous Friday". I'd reasonably want to see that reflected in my calendar.

Depending on how flexible the actual use case is, that "second Friday" thing is probably how I'd end up accomplishing it as "close enough".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My "favourite" Siri thing was being elbows deep in my motorcycle last weekend with a torque wrench and yelling out "Hey siri what is X nm in foot pounds" and hearing "here's what I found on the web" instead of an answer I can use without picking up my phone with dirty rear end gloves to punch numbers into an HTML calculator.

Thanks Tim Apple.

But on the topic of CarPlay, it looks like there's some incompatibility between CarPlay and what I presume to be the new locally-downloaded maps data. feature. If I start a route on maps.app on my phone which has locally downloaded map data for my area, once I get in the car it says something like "turn by turn directions not available for this destination". Honestly not sure if the two are related but anecdotally I only started seeing this after I downloaded the data to my phone so.. iunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 13, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know what I did before Apple implemented "let me google that for you"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Weird Siri interaction today on the heel of the Siri discussion a few pages back, but honestly I'm not sure if it's a Siri or Apple Watch or iPhone problem. I was on my walk and I had a realization I forgot to do something so I whacked Siri up on my Apple Watch and said "when I get home remind me to XYZ" and Siri added the reminder, but then added "if you want notifications you have to enable location in the reminders app" or something like that. I checked on my phone, which I assume is where this has to be done, but in Settings:

- Reminders doesn't have any setting for location
- Priv/Sec -> Reminders doesn't have any location settings, it just says "apps that have requested access to your reminders will appear here"
- Priv/Sec -> Location Services doesn't list Reminders, AND
- Priv/Sec -> Location Services -> System Services doesn't say anything about reminders.

Maybe this is a "7am pre-coffee" thing and I'm missing something obvious or literally just skimmed past Reminders making all the above false, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to enable this lol

Anyway I 100% did forget about the reminder without the notification and posting this made me remember to do the thing, so I guess that's one way to achieve the same result.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tried that, I am legit confused right now.

In fact, even on my iPhone when I added a dummy "remind me to do work when i get to work", It reminded me to enable location and when I clicked on the button it gave me, there was no Reminders listed.

:iiam:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All my devices have been flashing “New Mac/Phone/Watch added to your account” but when I check there’s nothing new in my device list. I’ve also been prompted to authenticate to my iCloud account on two devices repeatedly now. If this is some kind of social engineering thing I’m not getting it. Hope it’s just some kind of backend hiccup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agree. Cycled the password, but I think this is much less frequent then what I see reports of the MFA exhaustion attack vector being. I should have clarified, I got these like twice a day for the past two days, not in rapid succession. I honestly think it's just a hiccup somewhere but definitely can't hurt to be safe and reset authentication.