Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It even sorta does multiple objects in an image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Am I missing something obvious?

Can I only have different songs as my iPhone alarm if I have an active imusic subscription?

What the hell is imusic.

Also, I would imagine the song would have to physically be in your phone's music library for it to be available for that.

I also found this:

https://techwiser.com/how-set-song-alarm-iphone/

"You would only be able to set a song as an alarm if you have a purchased a song with iTunes or have an active Apple Music subscription."

I don't know if that's true or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

The only thing worse than a smug prick is a wrong smug prick. You can't put notifications where they used to be in ios16.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the new Lock Screen will make way more sense once the live notifications are available.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

.Z. posted:

Well, keep in mind transferring those files off a 14 is going to be a pain given Lightning data speeds.

Who transfers files that way in the year 2022?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

How else does one transfer photos and video? I’ve tried waiting for iCloud to sync and it’s an absolute pain.

Airdrop
Onedrive
Google Drive
Box

Hell, you can setup a file share on a Mac or Windows client and do it that way if you want.

edit: FWIW iCloud seems fine to me. I took a photo with my iPhone and over wifi, it took about a minute for it to pop on my photos app on my Mac. Took about 2 minutes over cellular.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 18, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

HungryMedusa posted:

My phones aren't supposed to be here until the end of October. This makes me sad. Come on ATT!!

Thinking about trying the Magsafe wallet instead of my go to Mujjo this time. If anyone has wallet case recs let me know. Doesn't need to allow charging.

Ive been using the MagSafe wallet for a while now and it's fine. It holds 2-3 cards max so as long as you can function like that, you'll be fine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

The U2 thing (Songs of Innocence being included on everyone's iTunes accounts) happened in 2014. Is it still included with iOS 16 by default? That'd be wild. I and a lot of other people used Apple's official link to remove the album from our accounts, but then again, I'm sure a lot of people didn't.

I would imagine if you still have the album linked to your iTunes account and you tell the music app (or if you sync it with a pc) to download all your poo poo, it would download that album.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it probably has nothing to do with the software version. It's kinda hilarious that that album is still wreaking havoc on iPhone users 8 years later :lol:

Does anyone remember the U2 iPod lmao.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

for many years the "artists" icon in the stock music app was a picture of bono. steve just loved that motherfucker. i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt

I do miss that weird poo poo that was done just for him. He had a legit full-on press conference just to announce that The Beatles were now on iTunes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I do think War and Joshua Tree are amazing albums and I can see why Steve would be really into them based on those records.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Violator posted:

Anybody hear of Battery Health being wrong? My iPhone 11 Pro bought at release still says 92% health but it drains 10+% per hour, I have to throw it on the charger several times a day, and I notice a lot of slowdown (several seconds to load content in apps when it used to be instant, apps freezing up, etc) in circumstances that seem like degraded battery performance may be related. I’m updated to the 16.0.2 but this was going on with iOS 15 too.

I don't know if this will help, but this is something I remember from my computer hardware janitor days.

I know on macOS the battery percentage stuff could get out of calibration so it's possible the same happens to iOS and possible the battery health. This has a pretty detailed method on recalibrating the battery. https://www.newertech.com/batteries/power-calibration-guide/ I figure you can do the same poo poo but for your phone.

Might not help, but something to try at least. From what you're describing however, it does sound like your battery is hosed up. Might be worth calling up Apple and seeing if they can do a remote diagnostic, or going to an Apple Store or AASP and see if they can run the tests too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 24, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If anyone wants a cheap set of AirPods Pro (1st gen) I'm unloading mine in the Mart.

edit: picked up the new Pros and they're great.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you think that's bad, you should see what they've done to Settings in MacOS.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

macos settings still seems pretty good to me, but maybe that’s because i’m judging it compared to windows and linux desktop equivalents instead of something sane and simple

System Preferences has been virtually the same for a really long time. Now it looks like iOS Settings.app. Things that were muscle memory are gone and some things are in weird spots. It will definitely take some adjustment.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thwomp posted:

what you're describing is what I experienced with mine. Brought them to the store, and after testing them, both were confirmed to be malfunctioning (I only ever heard crackling in one).

That happened to me as well. I only noticed crackling in one but when they ran the diagnostic both failed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Harvey Baldman posted:

Are there any options that exist that wouldn't interfere with wireless charging that I could leave on the back, even in the case I have? I know that's probably asking for too much, but I figured I'd see if anyone knew of good solutions for this.

No. You can only have one MagSafe attachment on at any given time except for the case.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Is it a Known Thing for CarPlay to be garbo and disconnect sometimes?

About 50% of the time, if I try to play music (from Apple Music, and this happened in Spotify too) on my car while I'm using navigation (Waze, Google Maps, or Apple Maps), it will completely disconnect from CarPlay. The way to fix it is either to unplug my phone and plug it back in (works sometimes), turn the car off and on (works more often it seems), or to set the audio source to the FM radio, listen to the radio for about five seconds, and then change the source back to the iPhone.
This also happens on my wife's iPhone, which may mean it's the car.

Is this a weird quirk of my car or is it just How CarPlay Works?

Did you try replacing the cable? I had similar issues and that did the trick.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Audio devices and tablets will have to jump too in 2024, I think only the remote will be out of scope in that list. Also magsafe is not safe(AYYYYYYY) as usb-c connector for charging will be mandatory from 2026.

Do you have a good source on that? There's no way they'll add a USB-C port on the Watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

The watch is supposed to count as a fitness device so it will be outside of the mandate of the law. Airpods and Beats fit neatly into it.

Spring 2026, they are giving OEM two extra years since laptops have longer lifecycles than phones.

Awesome. Appreciate the link as well. Switching over to USB-C for the headphone charging cases isn't a big deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

My iPhone 14 apparently shut itself off for several hours and then turned back on while sitting on the charger last night.

I had no indication except for when I first picked it up in the morning and it threw up the "iPhone requires your passcode when it restarts" message or whatever. Checking the battery log in the app shows that it turned off at 2AM and then just randomly came back at 5AM. I go to bed at midnight so it definitely wasn't like it crashed as a direct result of any app being actively used. It also wasn't the iOS update, I suspected that when someone posted about the new version but nope. Still on 16.0.2.

I know a couple of people have already posted about something like this happening to them, fortunately I don't use the phone as an alarm or whatever so it didn't cause any problems but uh.. what? I've never had this happen in the billion years I've used iphones so I kinda feel like this doesn't bode well.

16.0.3 just came out today. Try that out.

Anyone have recommendations for a portable 3 in 1 charger that's not wicked expensive. Something like this https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...056b7205d562e7f

I'd rather not pay that much for a charger but I also don't want to burn my house down by using a generic one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

buglord posted:

Is the Apple Store Genius Bar experience always this painful with waiting to get my phone battery replaced?

What's the problem? Sometimes they can be busy and you have to wait. They also have procedures they have to follow like filling out certain forms and performing certain diagnostics on the phone before they can do the actual work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've never seen this ad before or I completely forgot about it.

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/1584263910663651330?s=46&t=Sav62sbVDEz0x3hwdUu-ug

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Booo. Apple services getting price increases.

Apple Music
Individual: $10.99 per month (from $9.99)
Family: $16.99 per month (from $14.99)
Individual Annual: $109 per year (from $99)

Apple TV+
Monthly: $6.99 per month (from $4.99)
Annual: $69 per month (from $49.99)

Apple One
Individual: $16.95 per month (from $14.95)
Family: $22.95 per month (from $19.95)
Premier: $32.95 per month per year (from $29.95)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

How many people actually pay for their Apple TV subscription? I've ridden free trials and giveaways since it's debut and my latest is set to expire in a couple weeks and I'm just going to let it go until another T-Mobile Tuesday or something.

I did for a while until I signed up for Apple One. It was only 5 bucks a month so it wasn't really worth taking the time out to get free trials or giveaways.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

All the Apple OS updates just dropped and are rolling out now.

iOS 16.1
iPadOS 16.1
WatchOS 9.1
tvOS 16.1
MacOS 13 (Ventura)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I played with the live activities thing last night using a sports app that supports it. It's pretty cool.

Typically for sports apps you'll get a new notification whenever something happens depending on your settings for that app and sports. That creates tons of notifications. With the live activity, it's one persistent thing that constantly refreshes based on however they make the app. I used it with a hockey game and it was constantly updating with every shot on goal, block, hit, everything. Really cool stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

if i received a notification for literally every event in a hockey game i would shoot my own phone

give me like the big ones, goals and major penalties (double minors? 5 on 3s?) and someone getting carted off to the dressing room. i'm not micah you can tell me the corsi later.

You're right but that's the cool thing about the live activity. It doesn't blow up your phone. It's just a tile sitting there refreshing. It's probably even better with the iPhone 14 since you don't even have to wake up the phone if you have the AOD turned on.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

yeah but then the important stuff gets rolled over by "energy line made an SOG" one second after the big goal

Ah I gotcha. The tile always shows the score. It's possible there's a setting to just show the important stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What sports apps support it now?

It is called Sports Alert. the app itself seems more focused on gambling but it seems fairly straight forward in terms of what it does and how it functions.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Raffles posted:

Every other week my iPhone 13 Pro Max seems to get an exciting new scratch on the screen. Todays was quite a big one. I’m pretty careful with it; nothing else goes in my pocket with it, never leave it face down on a surface, but still constant getting scratches.

Will AppleCare replace a screen for cosmetic scratches or does it have to be smashed or cracked? I don’t live near and Apple Store so works have to send it away in the mail.

Technically it doesn't cover scratches but you can always call and ask. YMMV. It does cover cracks and actual damage so do with that what you will.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Alarmgate, Apple’s gone downhill, Steve would never, etc.

You're holding your alarm wrong.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What the gently caress do you have to do to get IP banned from Reddit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That feels more like a software issue than a hardware one. Wipe but don’t restore from backup. Set your automation poo poo up again and see what happens.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Apple wants to make more money? Bring back the swag catalog you cowards.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's Apple update day. New OS updates across the board.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

If I was Apple I'd rig it so apps in other stores get zero access to any of the Apple ecosystem.. files, photos, contacts, etc.

Maybe restrict API's too. Wanna use weatherkit or widgets or whatever? Well you gotta be on the first party app store buddy.

I think this is exactly what will happen. They'll do the bare minimum to comply with regulations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

From what I understand, that's good thing I think? I believe if you had that turned on globally, every app would have access to your clipboard whether you were aware of it or not. That's not a good thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

You need an iPod sock

Honestly, if they released these for iPhones, I'd use that instead of a case.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

kiwid posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to download email from an iPhone to a PC?

The mailbox is an old exchange activesync account setup in the Apple Mail app. I no longer have access to this email account but I do have access to the emails that were already synced/downloaded to the phone. I want to wipe the phone and give it to someone but before I do that I'd like to get these emails off into a PST file.

Can you setup another mail account on the app and copy all that poo poo into there?

edit:

The Grumbles posted:

You can just use any sock

But they wouldn't come in the same snazzy colors or have the apple logo, or have the right fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

sounds like something is boogered up in the OS. I'd wipe it, don't restore a backup, update to 16.2 and then set up all your poo poo. Or if you have access to a computer you should be able to update/wipe using that.