Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My 14 Pro just arrived. The camera block in comparison to the one of my 12 Pro is comically huge, when in direct comparison.

Kerbtree posted:

Reddit is getting weird about night photos now. There’s a comparison between a pixel 6 and and a 14 something, and people are falling head over heels for the oversaturated colours on the pixel shot.
I've seen that yesterday. It's a mixed bag. The iPhone colors are IMO better, but the Pixel deals better with image detail, see the windows on the skyscrapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Because the screen goes around the pill, to me visually, it gives the impression the screen's larger than with the notch. Some optical illusion kind of thing. Both my old and new iPhone are 6.1".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

The camera bumps are huge tho :trumppop:
Yea, I have a Fitbag sock for the phone. 12 Pro fit fine, 14 Pro gives me troubles, solely because of the camera bump.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So this morning I was driving to work, there was U2 playing. At some point I figured, what the hell, I have none of that in any of my playlists. Turns out, Apple Music decided to play when my car radio connected, despite using plenty of Spotify before. I figured, this gotta be an easy fix, since it worked fine on my 12 Pro without uninstalling Apple Music. Well, let's look for the default music player setting. There's none. Apparently I need to use loving Siri to set it, and from what I gather, it only asks when you want to play some music for the first time (or repeats asking sporadically)? What rear end backwards poo poo is that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

withak posted:

If you switch to Spotify does it remember next time?

Playing U2 by default is very Apple :lol:
It did remember from Friday, when I got and setup the phone, to Sunday. This morning then, it flipped to Apple Music for whatever reason. I mean, I've uninstalled it now. But still, there ought to be a default setting for this (too).

The U2 thing, I think iOS ships with some album of theirs? Was the same on my 12 Pro back then. Apple Music always had some full U2 album, when without subscription.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would imagine if you still have the album linked to your iTunes account and you tell the music app (or if you sync it with a pc) to download all your poo poo, it would download that album.
I guess that'd be it. I had an iPhone 7 once before that 12 Pro.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The search in the settings app is sure useless. Here I was wondering why my phone didn't want to charge until I've unlocked, and apparently stopped after a while. I seemed to remember a setting back on my 12 Pro, that I toggled. But gently caress me if it were easy to find. You'd figure typing "USB" in the search field would make it show up. But nope. Eventually the interwebs helped me find the "USB Accessories" setting in Face ID -> Enable when Locked. Thanks Tim Apple.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kerbtree posted:

I just tested on my 11 pro and it’ll merrily charge with that setting off with my thumb over the notch to block faceid. Plug into my pc, no bueno, however.
I guess I forgot to mention the PC. I'm not entirely sure what the phone is doing here, because there's 5V/500mA on the connection regardless. Can use that and still block data.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What is it with US providers making up their own names for these standards?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Pro-tip: Don't bring your iPhone 14 onto a rollercoaster.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, I just saw the same news item.

I keep waiting for it to trigger while faceplanting with my snowboard, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, how little I use my iPhone (14 Pro) lately, 1h screen active and 3.5h screen idle (whatever that means), and after 48 hours, it's still at 49%.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.
On Her Majesty's Secret Service is still the best song on the album.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

xzzy posted:

Which kind of makes sense, almost no one is transferring data over the port anymore. All they care about is power.
It's a bit ridiculous in context of their ProRes Video bullshit. Seems saner to just hook it up and copy-drag the files around in your favorite file manager, than do what people do otherwise (I'm sending it to my NAS via SMB in Files, but it's still choked by the 1GBit line from my router to it).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

While using Spotify on my PC, using my iPhone, it predictably acts as remote to the Spotify session. But apparently including volume control, which sets the phone volume bar to the same level as the ongoing session on the PC, which is max. volume and leaves it at that. Using the phone for media playback the next time around will blast you full volume.

I always wondered if the random full volume that I was getting was a bug in iOS. Nope, turns out to be some stupid integration bullshit from a third party app, i.e. me using my phone at the desktop while listening to music.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I bought some LED lantern, that has a single button but comes with a highly configurable firmware. Because of this one button thing, looking at the "manual", I'm kind of reminiscing about these dumb comments about the multi-function home button of the iPhone back in the day:

What in the gently caress :catstare:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

None of these fragments bother my 14 Pro. This a regional thing? While my phone is set to English language, it's region is set to Belgium. I'm also still on 16.1.0. And Siri suggestions turned off (or whatever it was), IIRC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Either Wireguard or iOS doesn't seem to like quick network hopping too much. I have it frequently happen that the VPN connection gets stuck in "Connecting..." state, loving up networking, and requiring a reboot. It appears to happen when I cross country borders and it's switching between various 4G connections back and forth and occasionally onto 5G and back. Not sure if this is an iPhone Pro 14 thing or whether it came with iOS 16. Because that didn't happen in the past.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm annoyed by Apple's bullshit restrictions and am glad the EU is loving them over royally.

I've installed Paris' Metro planning and ticket app, and it suggests to be possible to use NFC and buy tickets in-app. I was already wondering about it, but looks like they've developed the app on a common development environment for both Android and iPhone and just disabled the relevant things for latter, without adjusting the in-app intro pages (which ironically used an iPhone frame as a phone illustration).

Go gently caress yourself, Tim Apple.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kalman posted:

You can buy tickets in-app but you have to have a physical transit card to load them onto via NFC.

Paris’s transit authority finally made a deal with Apple, so there’ll be direct (no card needed) access coming in 2023.
Interesting. Looking it up, it says "by 2024".

Regardless, the dreaded discussion: Apple should allow people to bypass their payment processor and allow to send NFC data regardless of any deals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus Christ, buying ancillary gadgets on Amazon et al is a goddamn pain in the rear end. I'm in for a power bank for my iPhone and maybe iPad, for some pretty long train rides in February. So I figured I'd check Amazon for power banks.

I can't decide whether I should buy one from brand Trswyop, or from brand Pxwaxpy, or from brand Enerwow.

I mean, it's obviously going to be Anker or Belkin, but whenever I search for some gadgets, I'm always getting flooded with that sort of poo poo first. I mean, these items may be workable, but brands that were created by slapping a flat hand onto a QWERTY keyboard don't inspire confidence. Same happened when looking for a rugged case. It took quite some scrolling until brands like Spigen et al turned up. The hell.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 29, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm looking into Apple Pay things. I'm in Belgium. The drat app lists German banks only. The gently caress, Apple?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a way to lock the lock screen buttons? I’m currently snowboarding and have the phone in a front pouch, and the camera and flashlight get regularly triggered for some reason. Would be nice if it didn’t.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Latest rumors about the next iPhone release is that Apple is loving about with the presumed USB-C port by doing MFi kinda things with some auth chip. I mean, the thing is still far off into fall, but it kinda sounds typically Apple.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Minidust posted:

similarly I wonder if any real person, ever, has thought “I’d love this phone if it was 2mm thinner!”
That request is implied by the constant complaints that something like the Pro versions of the iPhones are too heavy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

iOS has an one handed keyboard mode, that reduces its size and moves it to a corner of choice.

As far as weight goes, the gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Razer poo poo some of the consistently worst made products you can buy froma build quality standpoint
IDK, my Huntsman V2 keyboard is p. nice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My screen area where the keyboard shows the backspace key has a distinct indentation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Waze "notify the community about a mobile speed trap" is illegal in multiple countries so every other mapping solution will just use the static speed trap data provided by tomtom or here(which is in turn provided by the local municipalities) to avoid legal disputes.
If you mark a speed trap in a country where it's illegal, Waze puts up a police control. At least it does that next door in France. Apparently that's different enough to skirt it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm just texting someone and got reminded of the keyboard discussion again. That loving prediction/autocorrect marks basic German verbs in their present form as unknown, but not past tense variants. The gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
This means what exactly?

Didn't the phone do this already in some fashion, with what the secondary microphone in the camera bump? Or this some newfangled AI poo poo?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What happened to the HomeKit stuff? Did it get yanked again or did they just not bother to mention it?
Yeah, that too. That said, wouldn't that only apply to border routers, like Homepods, Apple TVs etc.?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I didn’t understand that but either.
Looking it up on Youtube, it seems some ML-based filter a la RTX Voice on NVidia cards, that cancels out anything that doesn't appear to be a voice. Supposed on work on the iPhone itself and any BT headset of choice.

E.g. this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwvfSBE4d4

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The voice isolation feature can apparently only be turned on and off during a phone call. There isn’t an offline setting to do it outside of one. What rear end-backwards thing is that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, that’s utterly bizarre. I remembered to turn it on earlier and I guess I’m probably going to have to wait a day or two to see if it even stays on
I called myself at work multiple times just now. It stays on. So far, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I mainly want a non-Google phone. Google killed coding competitions and added file amount limits to Gdrive. I don't want to wait what they kill next, I'd rather proactively unplug myself off Google services and products.
The very least you need to get your main email accounts to something else, if you're using Gmail. Getting it locked up due to some ML detection triggering a (false) positive on some ancillary Google service tied to your account is not fun. With what there being zero customer service.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CPU definitely. Modem possibly the newer one.

--edit: vvv Dynamic island is Pro only.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 3, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think Unicode Emojis is the worst thing that has happened to written real-time communication.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess the 5G battery drain is only an issue with the mmWave variant? Over here in non-mmWave land, the available/usable 5G frequencies overlap pretty much 90% with the 4G ones, so I don't see how it'd make things worse.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the only concern there's to be had with fluids that aren't mostly just water, is whether they have sufficient surface tension to not pass through the speaker and microphone grills. And even then, I think nowadays at least phone speakers are constructed in such a way that they're watertight regardless. Also, certain liquids might affect the seals, but they're probably the kind of stuff you don't want to get on your skin either.

And soap kills surface tension of water. Steam is also a no-go. Which is why I'm surprised that say the watch survives daily showers for that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Corb3t posted:

It’s amazing how many articles there are out there where an Apple Watch detects an irregular heartbeat, life-threatening fall, or somebody lost in a ravine and ends up saving their life. I even see redditors posting about it fairly often on Apple subreddits.
Friend of mine works in the ER of a fairly large university hospital, and the last time we talked about the topic of health devices, and the AW specifically (IIRC because I was musing about the rumored optical glucose level measurements), he claimed that they had triple digit visits by now due to watch alerts and it never amounted to anything at all. I'm not sure how I'm to interpret that. As in, is the true positive rate actually really minuscule, or do I want to avoid that ER.