Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've taken to using Otterbox Symmetry cases and really like them. They are very slim but have well thought out ridges around the cameras and screen to protect against drops.

They also often come in fun colors, as I noted in the previous thread:

Bit on the pricey side though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a toddler. A case and Applecare + is a prudent investment because a stray Lego block on the floor will gently caress up a phone falling screen first on it just as surely as it hosed up your foot to cause you to drop that phone. Case cuts the risk in half, AppleCare takes care of the rest.

Danish caltrops I swear.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to look at an Apple Music library without being subscribed? My free trials finally ran out and I want to go back to a different platform but I don’t remember what I’ve added since using AM

Apple Music deletes your library and playlists pretty quickly after you drop the subscription. Three months I believe.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ok what the gently caress is this?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

American McGay posted:

Looks like a screen recording of a timer Dynamic Island widget OP.

Watch the little orange clock when it hits the bottom.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You might want to force an iCloud backup on the old phone just to be safe.

Also reboot the old phone, mine got a bit fucky when I backed out of transferring over to the new phone once and wouldn't pop up the little setup box again until I rebooted it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Detective No. 27 posted:

Had to go back to the Apple Store today to get a smaller band for my watch. I thought I needed a larger one, but it ended up too big. I got there early and waited in the line before the store opened and this boomer behind me started talking to me. He needed a new charger cable. He then told me about how his wife forgot her phone on vacation a couple years ago and got his accounts compromised. As soon as he mentioned that Brave browser, I just knew it would only be a matter of time until he mentioned Hilary's emails. Took like five minutes.

I do love how boomers come up with the craziest theories for how their accounts were compromised. My dad swears up and down that someone he knows had their phone "scraped" which somehow gave the baddies a fully copy of his phone from which they extracted all his login info and started sending scam messages to his phone book.

Definitely gotta be sophisticated hackers deploying state-agency level tools in rural SC to steal $450 from Cletus, that's the only possible explanation. Definitely wasn't him setting up an account at MAGAmart.shorpify.notascam.win with the same username/password he uses everywhere.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mister Facetious posted:

They clicked a link that they got texted. It's always a phishing link cause they can't tell the difference between legit and bullshit they don't automatically assume any text that isn't a personal contact or the Amazon/pizza guy is bullshit.

That's not true.

Sometimes they tell the contents of a "do not ever give out this code:" text to the nice man from Microsoft who called about their computer leaking IPs everywhere.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was worried it would be distracting but the screen really dims down to an extreme degree in the dark. It is significantly dimmer than my Philips alarm clock (which itself dims down in the dark) and when I set it face up on the charger it is pretty much invisible. A white sheet of paper reflecting ambient light leaking around the blinds would probably be more noticeable.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you had app downloads over cellular enabled the U2 album automatically downloaded too. I know a lot of folks were pissed at least in part because they lost a significant chunk of their data plan for an album they never wanted in the first place.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hed posted:

I might have missed it, if I delete photos and redownload it am I going to be throwing away pics of my kids forever or
Something

Don't do it! Deleted photos should stick in the deleted files part of iCloud for 30 days but I believe if you delete enough it starts clearing those out.

Do you have a computer? You can do an update through iTunes and it won't need any additional space on the phone.

I would highly suggest not only trusting iCloud as your only cloud storage for your photos because of how transparently it syncs across all devices. I use OneDrive in addition because at least with OneDrive if you accidentally delete a large number of photos or files it will flip out and email you a warning that it happened.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WarMECH posted:

Is it true that iOS 16 removed the auto dark/light theme? I like that my current (stock Apple) wallpaper changes to dark at night at the same time as my widgets/apps in iOS 15 but apparently you need to gently caress with Focus settings to re create this behavior for some reason now?

Yes, they got rid of them for some reason. Very annoying since the feature is still there and works if you never changed the wallpapers but there's no way to edit the clock.

A workaround is to set up an automatic shortcut to switch the wallpaper and set dark/light modes at certain times.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

withak posted:

Has anyone checked if the color of the sky changes when AQI gets bad?

It doesn't.

Also the air quality data is pretty suspect. Earlier this week the AQI widget was showing ~60 while Airnow.gov was reading in the 140s from several local monitoring stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Re: charging I have a little USB-A/C power meter and I've noticed that my 14 Pro is a bit fucky about how it charges off a USB-A outlet.

When I would plug in my iPhone XS or when I plug in my iPad Air 3rd gen the power immediately jumps to 11.9W and stays there until the battery reaches 85% or so.

When I plug in my 14 Pro it kind of fucks around at 2-3W for a while (10-20 seconds), then ramps up to 8.9-9.5W with occasional spikes to 10-11W.

I suspect it has something to do with the phone looking for a USB-PD connection at first before giving up and somehow testing the outlet to see how much power it can provide. I know that some chargers try to discriminate between the type of phone attached to control how much power to supply and at what voltage (for quick charge) and I could totally see a car system defaulting to the lowest power delivery possible when it can't immediately figure out what the heck is connected.