Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Bringing this sick filth over from the last thread.

withak posted:

How do I get Comic Sans for the clock on my lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 13 pro is getting hot under regular indoor use since I upgraded to iOS 16. Anyone else have that happen? I’ve reset the thing and typing this out on the Awful app I can feel my phone getting hotter.

I know it ain’t my postin’

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You know what I think the same thing happened last time. You saying that sounds super familiar.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Laserface posted:

I'm using it as an opportunity to upgrade my watch as mentioned and my iPad. I still have the OG air stuck on iOS 12 something so it's time. I'll go a mini though, I think.

That’s gonna be a big difference.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got my purple phone.

It’s nice, not purple enough.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That sucks extremely hard.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

rally posted:

Didn’t fix it

I still get the “paste permission” message here and it’s annoying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a way to show my phone battery level on the always-on lock screen? I can add a widget for my airpod batteries but can’t find the one for the actual device.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Corb3t posted:

Lol what do you want us to tell you? Apple can work around the omission of Force Touch hardware using software. Force Touch requires adding capacitive sensors into into the display. Apple experimented with alternative technology and decided it wasn't worth it - you don't see other manufacturers including it their phones. They still include it in their MacBook trackpads.

I always thought Force Touching was finicky and inconsistent - many third party apps didn't take advantage of it, and if a feature is unreliable and inconsistent, users are less likely to even bother using it.

Remember how blackberries let you click the entire screen?

Idk why I’m reminded of it but that was pretty cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My buddy got one as a wedding present and loves it. It sounds ok but for 299 each I’d get some decent bookshelf speakers, not a single one that can add butter to my shopping list.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you like it and use it then it’s a good thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I do use voice commands, I just don’t need to have it integrated into my speakers for a premium yet.

Thwomp posted:

I actually use it a ton for grocery items.

AnyList has deep Siri integration and it's become a go-to thing when I'm in the kitchen and find I'm running out of something.

It took some time to learn (which I totally get. My wife still has to think about it first before saying anything) but I can say "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add orange juice to my grocery store list" or "Hey Siri, using AnyList, add toilet paper to my Costco list" and it just works. Love that.

Now this I may adopt today, I’m still writing lists on a pad stuck to the fridge but a decent smart list would be nice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Skeezy posted:

Pizza and McDonald’s apps getting prime Home Screen placement next to the health apps ftw

The Taco Bell app is insane. You can get a cheesy gordita crunch, beefy 5 layer burrito, nachos and a baja blast for 5 bucks using it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I live near a road called The Plaza, which is also the name of that part of town. Siri/carplay started shortening it to The Plz which is really funny cause it thinks the name of the road is just “The.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
14 pro’s been doing this thing where my wallpaper is changed to all black. Resetting my phone fixes it for like a few hours but it happens again. Anyone else?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How long does the battery last in an AirTag?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Didn’t realize the event thread closes soon so I’m moving my post here:

Am I an idiot if I return my Amazon AirPod Pros I bought a week ago just so I can order a pair with the new port and be done with lightning?

I really wanna put one in a drawer and the rest to my friends and be done with it forever.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TraderStav posted:

If your airpods case have wireless charging, toss the cord!

I CAN CHARGE MY PODS WITH MY WATCH CHARGER!!

How did I not know this!?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
No covers no cases.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hatty posted:

I dont hate lightning as much as I hated the 30 Pin connector or Micro USB so I'm not in a rush to get away from it. Man I hate micro USB

I scoured the earth for a friend who reads so I could gift them my old Kindle when they moved to USB C.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wait is the better optical only on the fat daddy? That sucks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowy posted:

It was the most boring purple I’ve ever seen. I would have loved a decent purple

I have it and I keep forgetting it’s purple. It’s barely noticeable even in perfect light.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My only draw to the USB C change is using the same cables to charge my junk.

When they brag about the data transfer speeds on a corded iPhone, who are they talking to? Who keeps huge files on their phones that need to be transferred by cable to their computers?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I fell asleep at 9pm eastern like an old, I’ve been up for an hour.

No preorder can challenge my circadian rhythm.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s also cooling off at night so my sinuses are doing their twice a year meltdown when the seasons change. Ugh.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Still not ready on my end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It keeps erroring out while trying to fetch my preorder

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally went through using my laptop in safari. App is still broken.

Oh well, pretty sure I’ll get it the 22nd.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Weird because the app has been butter in years passed.

Probably won’t be dealing with it next year. I’ve been on the upgrade plan for a few years but told myself I’d stop whenever I got one that would let me ditch lightning cables.

Gonna pay it off next year and keep it until the wheels fall off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So tell me, goons that left the upgrade program, what’s the deal with the included Apple Care +? Does it end when I decide not to renew the plan next year?

I guess my plan is to go caseless until that expires, pay the phone off and then cover it with something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well now I’m sitting here wondering what the difference is between the cost of the upgrade program and buying the phone with 2 years of coverage outright. It’s like within a dollar of each other.

Is there any other reason other than trade-in value of the phone you bought in full maybe being more than 50% its original value?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's good for the length of the loan, so 24 months. After that I think you can just pay Apple for yearly coverage or w/e

Pretty impressive then that the upgrade program doesn’t have any other fees attached. It’s just the phone and insurance bundled and divided by 24.

Pretty dope.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been wanting what they’re calling Standby for like 15 years.

My Motorola Droid in 2009 had a little stand that would active a docked mode and turn it into a fashionable little alarm clock calendar thing. I don’t know why it took Apple this long to do it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Seriously. I didn’t care much until I got this sexy little Anker MagSafe stand for next to my bed. I’ve been reaching behind my night stand for a cord for years and I never threw money at the annoyance until now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MagSa...rd_i=B0B5XWJW36

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CG8P8X5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I got the Anker one and so far recommend it. Charges my phone, watch and pods through magnet magic. The belkin one charges faster and doesn’t use old USB A charging for the watch but it’s pretty spicy on the wallet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hed posted:

Can you turn the LEDs off? I don't want any indicator lights in my bedroom

I don't think so, luckily its high enough up and I'm blind enough that my eyes don't catch them.

Also I'm sure they will eventually but it would be nice to have more than 2 widgets in standby. I don't need half my phone just to see what the battery is at.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

You should look at the thread we have for them as well. Op's a bit out of date but the current hotness devices are the Retroid Pocket 2S and 3+, Anbernic 405 family and Powkiddy X55 and RGB30.

The OP has a very minor update in the form of a paragraph at the beginning.

I really should update the whole thing but holy cow these things move up a generation like every few months.

That said, I’m a sucker for Retroid. The 3+ and 2S are my favorite handhelds, the latter barely squeaking out ahead because I hate how much screen real estate I waste on a 16:9 retro console.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Josh Lyman posted:

There’s no option to trade in my APP1 that can wireless charge but don’t have MagSafe 😭

Their trade in is a joke. I have practically brand new gen 2’s and they want to give me 40 bucks for them.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

jabro posted:

I know you don’t want to hear this but the best clear case is AppleCare+.

This is my plan. Naked AppleCare+ with theft and loss for 2 years, then ill replace the screen, add protection and let it go until it falls apart or there's an actual technological jump in these of some kind.