Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I just jumped from a Pixel 6 to a 13 mini and I think the small phone life might be for me. I can use this thing without my hand cramping up. Honestly the lock screen was the main thing that made me swap to a pixel in the first place - I always thought the iOS one looked kinda stuffy and ugly - but it looks outstanding in iOS16.

I was kind of looking forward to ditching all the various subscriptions and getting Apple One, but Apple Music has been kinda terrible and I've gone back to Spotify within the day. Just key basic features are missing like easy hand-off between devices (I use a PC rather than a mac, which doesn't help). Oh well!

RE scratches etc, I'm going to try using a case on this thing because the back is a total smudge magnet. But I imagine the pro's frosted finish doesn't have those issues. As far as I'm aware, every iPhone in the lineup has the exact same front glass. But I really hate screen protectors. Wish me luck.

edit: Someone shared this in the previous thread, but the new image cut-out feature - how do you save those as transparent PNGS for use elsewhere? It kind of sucks that outside of iMessage it gets a white BG. I'm in the UK, so very few people I know use iMessage on the reg - it's all WhatsApp here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

101 posted:

Unless it's changed recently, WhatsApp sends everything as jpegs. Maybe they'll change it now that the cut-outs are a thing?

A way around it, I assume (I haven't tried yet) would be to use a third-party WhatsApp 'sticker creator' which would then let you send the cut-outs as stickers.

Yes, that's what I've been doing. But the issue is with iOS' cut out feature that it doesn't automatically save things with a transparent background but a white one. People were running into the issue in the previous iPhone thread when they were posting pictures of their pets, and someone listed a quick fix which I can't find.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

It’s not Apple, it’s that places like WhatsApp, Discord and Imgur compress the image and remove transparency.

The fix was to upload it to someplace like Dropbox that doesn’t mess with the images.

I don't mean to be pendantic but I'm also going to be pendantic - I'd been saving the cutout to Apple photos, which seems to remove the transparency. Same if you save to Files (although Files also then has a tool that lets you make it transparent again... and export back to photos). So it is Apple being Apple.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay, the new Lock Screen is great, but can someone explain the difference between ‘duotone’ and ‘colour wash’ because both filters seem identical?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Duotone is, as the name suggest, two complementary colors. Color wash is a single color in different intensities. If you're not colorblind, the difference should be pretty apparent if you pick the same tone in the (...) menu.

I'm not colourblind, and both are just one colour! And the base image I'm using is very vibrant with lots of different colours.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

That’s the cutout for the 5G mmWave antenna and it’s on the opposite side from the SIM tray anyway.

Kinda annoys me that the non-cellular iPads still have those!

Also now I'm on an iPhone mini, all other phones seem like ridiculous tablets for giants. Unless the battery life turns out to truly suck, I can't imagine going back. Even if they discontinue the mini, I hope the SE morphs into this form factor or something.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s not a bump it’s a built in stand!

Seriously I’ve wanted this for so long. I love having a pop socket but it stops the wireless puck from connecting.

Pop sockets are for degenerates. Someone in this thread needs to say it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Ok old man. lol

Literally an entire generation of zoomers and millennials use ‘em. But now you’ll go, “you proved my point!!!” :cheeky:

The panicked words of a degenerate.

edit: there's no shame in the path you've chosen in life, but it's still important to recognise its sordid and salacious nature

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 18, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I hear this a lot, so maybe I'm the weirdo that doesn't notice/mind moving from my 11 to my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro screen at all.

Yeah I gotta say that my biggest trepidation was the mismatched refresh rates, going from Pixel 6 to a 13 Mini, when I use a 120hz 11'' iPad pro, but I honestly don't notice it in the slightest. I think there were maybe 10 minutes when I first booted up the iPhone that I may have noticed it? Maybe it's more of a big deal on bigger phones? Maybe I have old man eyes now I'm in my 30's?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's the only way to connect to Bluetooth devices that don't connect automatically.
It's the only way to connect to specific nearby WiFi.
I often have to switch between 5G and LTE because one or the other will slow down in congested areas.
I don't use unlimited data so I occasionally like to see how much data I've used.
It's the only way to toggle Personal Hotspot, which I don't want on all the time.
If I download a new app I gotta configure the way notifications are displayed.

and probably several other things that aren't janitoring but can only be done through Settings. So I probably do at least one of these things daily. Considering how useless some of the shortcuts they DO have for the Control Center are, it's pretty bizarre to keep so much functionality confined to an App icon only.

At least for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections you can just press and hold on the icons to get to control centre.

Also if you wanna go to settings and for whatever reason don’t want an icon on your Home Screen for it (?) just press the bottom of your homescreen to bring up search, type “s” and it’ll be right there.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

You can tie wallpapers to focus modes so it's a quick/visual way to flip between focuses. Different wallpapers can also have different kinds of widgets on. So maybe you want a wallpaper with the cool dynamic weather background on in certain contexts.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone else have issues with Spotify and battery life? Using it on a 13 mini and it chewed through like 40% of my battery in a few hours. Could it be because it's a new phone and spotify is doing some background indexing? (Downloads had all been downloaded overnight while charging so shouldn't be that).

I've switched to Apple Music, which seems a lot kinder on battery life, but it's also worse in just about every conceivable way - and I really miss being able to easily use Spotify as a remote to control music on any other device. All Apple Music really has going for it is lossless and not giving money to Joe Rogan.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Surfboard is boring. Flat side is iconic and reminiscent of the iPhone 4/5 which was gorgeous.

100% this the iphone 4 is the most beautiful thing Apple has ever designed and I'm glad the new ones are just big iPhone 4s in better colours.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I’ve yet to see a 14 pro in the wild, surprisingly. I live somewhere where I’d expect to, but not a single dynamic island has popped up on my commutes. I feel like I’d have seen the new apple thing by now in previous years.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm considering getting an iPhone for the first time to give it a go. The biggest thing stopping me from switching is that I cannot text from my computer because iMessages seems to only have a mac client, and I'm too heavily invested in the windows world to switch. I'm in front of a computer a lot of the day and I love being able to use google messages and whatsapp on my browser instead of having to pick up my phone all the time.

Knowing that, and the annoyance that it's not USB-C and I'd have to re-buy some apps, are there other things that I'd be missing leaving android that I may not be considering?

I'm also considering a pixel 7 or pixel 7 pro, I have a pixel 4a currently.

I use WhatsApp in a browser or via the windows app on my PC all the time. You’ll still be able to use it with an iPhone.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Windmill Hut posted:

I just picked up an 14 Pro, which is the first ever iPhone i've ever owned. Mainly inspired by the getting a great camera and battery life while retaining the smaller form factor.

It feels like a nice phone, and iOS is smooth, but i'm not getting any 'wow' feeling from the phone. I'm yet to be inspired to completely to shut off my Galaxy S21. I'm still using it and aren't that interested in picking up the iPhone, which surprises me given how much I don't like my Samsung.

I'm still in the Apple 14-day return window. Given it cost me $1900 AUD, i'm having serious second thoughts. There are bunch of deals going around for the Pixel 7, I could pick one up for about $400 AUD after trading in my Samsung.

Is there anything you'd recommend I do to really start convincing myself on Apple? Or am I not really meant to be 'wowed', and it's the "Everything Just Works" aspect of iPhone/iOS that will take time to reveal itself?

As others have said, phones have matured to a point where they all just do what you want them to, so it’s really just about things like taste, industrial design, ux, etc. I had a Pixel 6 a while but switched back to iOS because I just really prefer the look and feel of iPhones. I love the design of the newer iPhones - merging the x design with the 4/5 design has made for a really beautiful object. I think iOS looks a lot better than stock Android - I had high hopes for the material you stuff but it just feels less cohesive and tasteful than iOS. Considering my phone is the one object I use the most, the aesthetic experience matters a lot to me (and doesn’t hurt that it works well with my iPad). I just found myself obsessively tinkering with my pixel to find a look and feel I was happy with.

I haven’t had a Samsung in quite a few years, but those are also slick looking phones, and I remember they do their own thing with Android’s design aesthetic. So really it just boils down to what you like the look and feel of more - because unless you’re in the Apple ecosystem, or unless you’re some hardcore power user that needs the openness of Android for a specific purpose, there isn’t a lot to differentiate them beyond that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
There's no good thread for this as far as I can tell, but Apple Music has been mentioned here a couple of times - I just wanted to say that I just came across Cider and it's allowed me to finally ditch Spotify in favour of Apple Music. Cider is a windows Apple Music app. It's a free community project which was only released earlier this year, but is already approaching a lot of the functionality of the Spotify client - and goes without saying that it's leagues better than iTunes or the Apple Music web client on PC.

It's still missing a couple of things from Spotify. I still miss Spotify Connect greatly, and there's a remote app for this but you have to get a test flight slot to use it. You can't yet sort playlists, but they're on the case. Also no lossless, if that matters to you, because of Apple's own limitations.

But they've got a lot of fun audio processing stuff they've ginned up themselves - and this'll be a matter of subjective taste but I think music sounds great through it. And there are lots of tweaks and settings you can play around with, including for the interface. Highly recommend.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Do people like FaceID? Does it work reliably on a phone? I have it in my iPad Pro and though it works a lot of the time, it fails way too often for my taste.

Works every time on iPhone. iPad is a bit more hit and miss, yeah - I feel like you need to get the distance right, in a way that feels very natural on the phone, but where you have to like lean in on a tablet. The iPad isn’t always at eye level - like if im using it in the kitchen, or at a desk, or any other context where I haven’t picked it up in my hands.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fedule posted:

Is iOS loving with alarms again? I have an alarm set to repeat on weekdays, and thank gently caress for the lock screen widget that shows you your next alarm, because without it I'd not have known that iOS was just failing to set the alarm. It was turned on in Alarms and set correctly to repeat, but simply did not register with the system. If I turn the alarm off and on again a few times, it will eventually stick. Over the past week this has become part of my bedtime routine because it happens so consistently.

I've had some weird stuff happen and I suspect it might be tied to the sleep focus, which has its own alarm for when Tim Apple thinks you've slept enough.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 14pro. Mostly so I don’t have to deal with USB-C for a couple years.

You must be the only person on the planet who doesn’t consider usbc more friendly and convenient.

Also has anyone found their battery life improve massively after the latest update? This 13 mini didn’t last a day before but now it just goes and goes.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

You can rummage around in there with a toothpick if you need to. You can’t do that with a USB-C port because of the tab inside.

I have cleaned out usb c ports with toothpicks and lived to tell the tale. It’s fine

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Weedle posted:

i'm also a full album type of gal but otoh it's very nice to be able to skip all the skits and filler songs on 90s rap albums where they had to fill the whole drat cd up for some reason

Pre-Twitter, those skits were the only way we could stay up to date with rappers’ views on women and/or other rappers (they hated both), thus fulfilling an important social function

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

floppyspud posted:

S10 is 6.1" with the curved edges, I wouldn't go any larger than this, they all feel clunky and just look ridiculous to me. though maybe some people like the extra screen space. I've never really had much experience with modern ios, but yeah I think the navigation seems interesting and there seems to be a lot of cool stuff they add from the few mkbhd videos I've watched. Very different but very similar, I guess that's what happens when every company copies each other equally lol.

The iPhone 13 mini is excellent and the upgrades on the 14 are extremely marginal. The screen on the mini is around the same size as older plus sized phones like the 8 plus. It rules and is perfect.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

floppyspud posted:

The only problem with minis is... well there wasn't a mini 14, right? Are they planning on making them anymore? 1 every 2 or 3 generations?

Yeah there's no mini 14, but the 13 and 13 mini have identical specs, and the differences between the 13 and 14 are the most marginalI think I've ever seen in an iPhone. Specs are the same, save for the 14 having crash detection and future capability for satellite calling, and a better camera that you probably won't notice unless you're an actor in an iPhone commercial pretending that your iphone is a DLSR camera or that you're shooting a real film on your iPhone.

Battery is the only obvious difference, although the mini does last a full day (usual caveats - not being glued to your phone/running intensive games/gps apps/etc all day), which puts it on par with other flagship phones of its generation like the Pixel 6.

floppyspud posted:

Unless of course you want the cutting edge hardware, in which case you were never in it's target audience anyways.

I mean considering it's the exact same as an iPhone 13 but in a smaller package, it's arguably the most cutting edge hardware :colbert:

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 10, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Quackles posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 7 Plus as the amount of space (32 GB) is getting constrained.

However, there are some issues:

• I want a large form factor phone (this is critical or I won't be able to use it)
• I don't use a phone case, but all iPhones after the 7 have glass backs - what's most resistant to damage? It'll be in my pocket up against my keys.
• I'd prefer the front bezel to be white if possible

What would people recommend?

Just to be that annoying guy again but the 13 mini has pretty much the same amount of screen space as the 7 plus while still being comfortable to hold and use.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Inner Light posted:

On a related note, I am very bad about forcing myself to cook rather than eating takeout. If there is any app that can make it easier to shove simple to follow directions right in my face with easy recipies, I am all ears? I think it's on me though and there may not be an app to help.

You won't save nearly as much money as just looking up recipes and buying ingredients from the supermarket, but if you've got out of the habit of cooking, a good way to ease yourself into it is to get one of those box ingredient subscriptions for a few weeks. Hello Fresh and Gousto are the bigger ones here in the UK, but I'm sure a lot of countries are likely to have them at this point. They tend to have free trials for the first couple of weeks. You get all the right amounts of each ingredient for a set of meals you select, with a step by step recipe that's usually pretty simple. It'll get you into the habit, and before you know it you'll be cancelling the subscription and just getting your ingredients for yourself.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick poll:

I’m debating actually getting one of these things for my office. Which iPhone display should I consider getting:

https://gridstudio.cc/collections/iphone

I’d lean towards the 5 personally.

5/5s is the nicest thing Apple’s ever designed save for the original iMac, although I suppose it’s just a refinement on the 4 which was the really groundbreaking one, so you should really go for that.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Photo shuffle is still processing on my phone.

I don't know whether this is what you're referring to, and I know it'd be better if it wasn't so opaque, but I do kind of like how opaque phones are doing background photo stuff. Both iOS and Android. Like, how it randomly decides one day to show you a photo montage of all the microwave meals you've photographed and subsequently eaten, set to smooth jazz. It feels like the phone's been working on some creepy secret project without telling you about it.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

Tomorrow's the day I get my first iPhone after using Android my whole smartphone life. I'm probably going to install the Google apps alongside the iOS versions of the apps to see what I like, but is there anything you guys recommend besides patience? I picked up a bunch of cables from Monoprice to replace the ones I still use, plan on picking up a case too. Regardless, I'll most likely drop by here to ask any questions I have, excited to get away from the janky rear end Google experience

You'll see a load of youtubers who set up shortcuts to customize their home screens in the way you can with Android but honestly it's a huge pain to do and makes the UI feel less smooth, and if the design of the stock interface isn't to your taste then you probably shouldn't use it anyway because design is like 70% of the appeal of Apple stuff.

I've never enjoyed the Mail app, because it doesn't automatically filter promotions/linkedin spam/etc in the way the Gmail client does. But the Gmail app is solid on iOS, and your google account should integrate fine with the stock calendar/notes apps.

Do make use of widgets. I found them a lot less laggy than on my Pixel 6, where it'd always take a moment or two from unlocking to update. They're always ready and lookin' good on iOS.

But yes it's definitely more consistent than Android in a lotta ways (besides Siri, which tends to be much less consistent than Google Assistant), which is nice. You'll probably get given a free AppleTV+ trial. Severance is really good on there.

Also you won't be able to set two timers at once, which sucks, so make peace with that now, especially if you use phone timers for cooking.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

WarMECH posted:

Got a 13 Mini this week and today I noticed my battery draining super fast (down to 65% after 5 hours of barely any use) and looking at battery info the culprit seems to be "Contacts - Low Signal" running in the background and using up over 45% of my battery in the last 24 hours. Quick Google search shows that this seems to be a common issue with others, and turning off Contacts sync with iCloud might solve the problem temporarily. Anyone else have this issue?

More detail here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254376585

When you first switch it on it'll eat up the battery doing mysterious Apple background things for a week or so. Same thing happened with my 13 Mini, but with other apps eating an inordinate amount of battery in the background. See if it settles down after a while, or if it is in fact some crazy bug. Turning off 'background app refresh' on most apps will also work wonders (your 5G or wifi is likely to be fast enough where refreshing apps on open will be fast enough without them constantly having to call home in the background).

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Always fun when Android users switch and end up using all the Google apps on an iPhone. Maybe just stick with Android? I'm one of those weirdos who reduces my personal information on Google services whenever possible, but still use Google apps for certain features (Google Maps saved lists, Chrome on desktop for Gsuite collaboration, etc). There's no way I'm syncing browser history with Google.

I'll never understand why Google still insists on putting their search bars at the top of the goddamn screen for their apps - they're never reachable.

It's worth noting that Safari in iOS has extensions like SponsorBlock and AdGuard.

Gmail is much much better than the stock mail app. I'm so used to the way it filters out promotions/social media notifications that trying to use the regular mail app is just painful.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've been using Apple Music these past few months after getting a free trial, and I have to say it's way worse than Spotify. Navigation sucks, discovery is way worse, but the main thing that's making me want to go back is just how much better remote play is on Spotify - it's so effortless to control music between any devices on the same network, via whatever device happens to be in my hand at that given moment, and it's kind of ridiculous that Apple still hasn't cracked this, save for its awkward and ancient iTunes remote app, or the apple watch remote. Any audio quality benefits seem pretty negligible considering all my apple devices play music via Bluetooth, or sources that don't allow lossless (like a PC).

And then as someone with a Windows PC, I have to use a 3rd party app like Cider, which is cool and great but is very much a work in progress. I'm not holding my breath for the upcoming Apple music windows app to be any good. I kind of want to stick with Apple music if I can, but they're not making it easy for me!

Spark sounds interesting though - although presumably for it to filter your emails, it'd have to read them in a similar way that Gmail does?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Apple has solved this issue - it's Airplay 2. I have 6 Sonos speakers and a 2 Homepod Minis in the house that I can multi-room Airplay 2 to with ease. Spotify has been dragging their feet for over 2 years now for no real reason and could have implemented it by now, and it's one of the reasons I switched, along them dragging their feet on stuff like Shortcuts support and Apple Watch downloads (which still sucks!). It also bugged me that they started bombarding me with podcast content when I have no interest in it.

Spotify solved this issue years ago though. The solution being 'you can always control Spotify running on any device on your network, via any other device on your network logged into the same account, through whatever speakers you already own'. That's a much more elegant solution than 'buy a load of expensive new Apple speakers'. People are pretty attached to their soundsystems - or they just operate a hobbled together mishmash of speakers and laptops and smartTVs and whatever elsee - and I think Spotify has made the right approach in designing something that works in most scenarios rather than doing the whole apple walled garden thing. I'm not going to get rid of my nice Celestion wooden cabs.

Also, I miss being able to play music on my PC, and controlling it via my phone. But yeah Apple Music truly does suck. If I wanna listen to the radio, I'll put on NTS or something.

I really wanted to like Apple Music, because I was ready to quit spotify after all the Joe Rogan stuff. But it turns out Apple Music is bad!

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 19, 2022

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

They're not Apple speakers lol, any app or device is free to utilize the Airplay 2 spec and allow their apps to take advantage of iOS and MacOS's built-in multi-room functionality. Your use-case seems more niche than your average user dropping $100 on an Ikea Sonos speaker - users have an expectation that Spotify will be fully integrated, and they're not, just because Spotify are big babies.

Most people just play music out of their smart TVs or PC speakers or whatever soundsystem they have available. I think spotify did the right thing in setting up an ecosystem where people don't have to buy expensive new speakers. I was at a house party this year where in one of the rooms someone had put a phone in an overturned salad bowl to play music in the kitchen. And you could still use any other laptop in the house to control the music. I don't know what else to tell you.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone have any decent and clean solutions for charging a bunch of random devices?

We've got a bunch of iPhones, a handful of Apple Watches, a couple iPads, and some random micro USB stuff in our family. Right now, the solution is an 10-port Anker USB-A brick sitting in our kitchen with 10 various cables tangled everywhere like a goddamn mess. And now we're starting to get some USB-C devices, and you can't exactly buy a 10-port USB-C brick.

Anyone else deal with this? I don't mind having separate USB-A/C power bricks, but the constantly tangled cables drive me batty. I thought about getting some multi-device dock thingy, but that kind of limits what can go where, and also depends on how thick of a case each phone has.

Cable pockets!!! I'm serious!!! get something you can hang near the dock where you can stuff all the actual charging cables when you're not using them. I use one of those hanging shoe storage things - but just for a shitton of usb cables - and its revolutionary. I bet you could find something smaller. Then you just gotta put the fear in everyone to unplug cables once they're done with them.

a bit like this

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

So far I'm absolutely loving the experience, it just feels like people designed a phone for people to use without constantly wanting to throw it in a lake, only sometimes wanting to!

One question I poked at Google about but don't trust the search results: Is there any way to do iMessage via Windows? I'm on a Windows PC 8+ hours of the day for work and posting sometimes and previously just used Messages for Web. Is there an iMessage equivalent for Chrome/web or a way to make that work?

There are ways to run an iOS emulator on your windows PC that'll let you then run iMessage. It all seems kind of sketchy janky grey area stuff but I think it is doable.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

My tip is don’t do this, you don’t need to janitor your phone. Just use it like a normal person.

Battery's kinda small on the 13 mini so definitely do the background app refresh thing with that one as it really helps the phone get through the day.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

JohnCompany posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on the 13 mini? They're within budget for me, and I've honestly wanted a slightly smaller phone for a few cycles now, since I'm a skinny boy with small pocketed pants. Currently using a pixel 6, but have an iPhone 11 for work so not foreign to iOS. Really do just want a smaller phone, but if the mini isn't the right answer I can live without.

It’s the best iPhone. I went from a pixel 6 to it and am very happy. It took my eyes a few second to get used to the slower refresh rate but it really doesn’t feel any less smooth. Battery isn’t as good but it should last a day with normal use.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Honestly, if they released these for iPhones, I'd use that instead of a case.

You can just use any sock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

ArcticZombie posted:

I recently added my partner’s work phone number to her contact information, after not having it saved at all, and Messages has merged the threads together. Her work phone is an Android and the text box is now labelled text message, which I’m assuming will mean that it will go to her work phone.

How the gently caress do I choose which number I want my message to go to?

oh i ran into this with someone who only has imessage tied to an email address on ipad, but they also have an android phone that they text from. It's stupid! from iMessag,e go 'new message', start to type in the contact name, and then when the contact shows up there'll be a little arrow next to their name. Select that arrow and you should be able to choose which version of that contact you want to message.