Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

You absolutely were the only person in the world who assumed that.

She's pale turquoise.

look gringos don't get to escape what they are just because they bought a bunch of RealSkin. it follows u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah nothing about how she acts or sounds like registered as kid to me at any point.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

she's just smol, folks need to stop typecasting every tiny lady as a child nee moe bait, it's very rude

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
*breathing heavily* hey everyone I heard there was a potential loli in this anime, just wanted to let you know there are creepy people who think that's hot and I am definitely (and I cannot stress this enough) NOT one of them. Glad I got here in time phew

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah nothing about how she acts or sounds like registered as kid to me at any point.

Maybe my circle of influence is small but I don't know any kids who look or act like most of these people :anime:

Doesn't drama shows with real people have the same problem, 25 yo playing 17yo high school kids? I don't watch regular tv

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In other news, between the success of Edgerunners and the 1.5 and 1.6 patches being really really good, Cyberpunk 2077's Renaissance continues:
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1582742974839934977?t=vJZVDI199gU1KVWehZYZWw&s=19

And in more understandable news, Trigger and CDPR currently have no plans for a Season 2:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/10/19/cdpr-declares-there-will-be-no-cyberpunk-edgerunners-season-2/

I get it and that's fine. Story's done and anime productions need to be booked years in advance.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Trigger has other projects lined up, so yeah. Including adapting Delicious in Dungeon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fabricated posted:

Trigger has other projects lined up, so yeah. Including adapting Delicious in Dungeon.

Oh god, Trigger doing a food anime? Sign me up.

I'm fine with Edgerunners being a standalone. My housemates talked about how they couldn't wait for a second season to see what Lucy would do next and my eye started to twitch. Just do something different, please. If they do come back to Cyberpunk in a few years time for Cyberpunk 2078 or whatever the sequel is called, do it Fargo style, anthology seasons.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I hope they leave it alone. Everyone except Lucy and Falco are dead anyway. I don't think there's much of a story left to tell with those characters. The former hopefully never needs to return to Night City and the latter probably deserves to retire from crazy gigs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be cool if they did an anime of cyberpunk 2020 or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A Morgan Blackhand prequel about how he made it big and then sold out to the corpos.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah I wouldn't mind a 2nd season if it was entirely separate from the first. Maybe for the game sequel in a million years

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s important to point out that this anime was in development for 6 years, with years of back & forth between the devs and the studio. If we ever got a second season… we wouldn’t be seeing season 2 until about 2026 at the absolute earliest… and basically everyone from CDPR has moved on to other projects at this point, including the showrunner whose blood, sweat, and tears are what made this season so raw & relatable. This might just be lightning in a bottle, one perfect season meant to be enjoyed and completed.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 21, 2022

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
It would be cool to get a longer term denoument for Lucy, show her having finally gotten out of the game, wounded by alive. She's not lost hope, she's not falled back into her old hell. Maybe mention somewhere in some side material that a highly skilled netrunner named Luciana working IT on the lunar colony stopped a reactor malfunction, she's grateful for the accolades but please respect her privacy. She's doing fine doing legimate work, thank you very much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AZ16q/status/1583405507649282050?t=ZxfWZlXInOZw0sTsGTBf4Q&s=19

V's got the moves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Everyone loves all the music in this show obviously but I feel like this track is one of the more underrated, certainly doesn’t get as much play “Stay at your house” but goddam if this scene didn’t get my blood pumping AND my eyes watering. Blasting on repeat at work right now, makes for a very grounding vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGkHrSa083U

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got some weird musical dissonance when I heard that track start playing ingame at a food cart while I was blowing up Tyger Claws next to it. Seemed kinda heavy music for a more comedic bit of gameplay compared to Maine's stand.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Everyone loves all the music in this show obviously but I feel like this track is one of the more underrated, certainly doesn’t get as much play “Stay at your house” but goddam if this scene didn’t get my blood pumping AND my eyes watering. Blasting on repeat at work right now, makes for a very grounding vibe.

It's the most perfect (and probably only) use of contemporary black metal in narrative media. It just fits for the way stuff like Wolves in the Throne Room has so much energy but a somber vibe.

Try the full track though. Almost 7 minutes long and more complete.

https://youtu.be/lGYlj-VsM2s

It's funny how Cascadian folk with so much Nordic ancestry will pump out very similar metal (I know, they're Polish, but still.)

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 23, 2022

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I just want to thank all the people who suggested more sci fi anime all along this thread. I almost finished all of PsychoPass (just the final movie to go) and afterwards I'm going to start on Ergo Proxy and ID invaded. Even if we don't get a second season of this show I think a lot of people new to the genre will be pleased at the huge amount of quality content available that offers a different perspective on the future.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cowboy Bebop
Space Dandy
TriGun
Outlaw Star
Big O
Blue Submarine #6

All of these offer a different glimpse of a sci-fi future that is equal parts bleak & beautiful, and I think these shows have more or less stood the test of time and will be good forever.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Better include the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex show in that list too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Blue Submarine was good? I mean besides the setting and visuals. (The game is pretty too)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you're into human-fish titties, I guess.

How do the human fish tank dance swimmers in the Afterlife club get out of the tanks?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Blue Submarine was good? I mean besides the setting and visuals. (The game is pretty too)

I have really fond memories of it but that might because it’s one of the first really somber and dark anime’s that I watched. Also I was coming off of DBZ and Gundam Wing so at the time it was like basically the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

M_Gargantua posted:

Better include the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex show in that list too.

I’ve only ever seen like 2-3 episodes, I gotta get off my rear end and watch it, I remember really liking what I saw

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

This setting is especially interesting bc it's a future perpetually stuck at a specific point in the past, and it's suggested to have been designed that way. The day to day foreground plot is all toku though lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh I forgot, Big O also has corpo themes where the city is ruled by the Paradigm Corporation who uses the military police as their lapdogs and keeps the trains running on time. It's got a monotone ninja girl with a bob cut, a femme fatale, the beat cop with a heart of gold, a terrorist who wants to tear down the corp, rich vs poor tensions, all that good stuff.

Actually it's more cyberpunk than I thought! You just need to be able to look past the occasional Batman hijinks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Oh I forgot, Big O also has corpo themes where the city is ruled by the Paradigm Corporation who uses the military police as their lapdogs and keeps the trains running on time. It's got a monotone ninja girl with a bob cut, a femme fatale, the beat cop with a heart of gold, a terrorist who wants to tear down the corp, rich vs poor tensions, all that good stuff.

Actually it's more cyberpunk than I thought! You just need to be able to look past the occasional Batman hijinks.

Batman is cyberpunk-adjacent. Batman Beyond is pure cyberpunk.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah Batman Beyond is purestrain cyberpunk. I need to rewatch that whole thing.

Big O hits all the familiar cyberpunk themes but misses the feel, if that makes any sense.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Big O is very cyberpunk thematically, it just has a film noir aesthetic instead of a near future aesthetic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Big O’s ending is almost literally a Neal Stephenson or PKD short story though, certainly evokes the same kind of dissonance I’d get from either of their weirdest ideas. I really like a vision of the future that was dressed in blacks and grays, muting the pallet lets the mecha and exploding building really pop, and I think it incorporates a sense of dread that feels dystopian. The space sci-fi shows are more adventurous, Cowboy Bebop & TriGun are, in essence, about stories that have already taken place, so the stakes are low. As Big O ramps up, there’s this sense of pressure and mystery that becomes almost suffocating.

I swear this show was like an HBO or AMC prestige drama for 14 year old me, like it was somehow way easier for me to process these themes against a backdrop of “Batman but he has a giant robot”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I love Big O, its too bad the finale is such an incomprehensible mess. Theres a lot of anime with cool premises that fumble the endings, but Big O and the Read or Die tv series are the ones that really stand out in my memory.

Favorite episodes are R-D, and any episode with Schwarzwald.

Big O also reminds me a lot of Giant Robo, which had a good ending but also set up a future conflict that never came to fruition because the OVAs stopped after they wrapped up that story arc.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 26, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Giant Robo’s ending is one of my all time faves, it’s such a pleasant surprise. If you like deconstructions of classic anime tropes, you GOTTA see Giant Robo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GwentBro/status/1587714738439749632?t=cOtYRIJoblL3PVHbsUxT-g&s=19

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Watched this now and it was Very Good. I could only watch 1-2 episodes a day because it was a bit exhausting to watch? Like, very good, but lots of glitchy visuals, fast moving scenes, lots of term and plot lines to keep track of. I think watching it slowly was good though, it let the whole thing sink in better.

The worldbuilding is goddamned incredible, it draws you in in just a second or two. David's mother getting left on the highway because she didn't have insurance was so hosed up and a great way to drag your mind into the ultimate corporate hellscape of Night City. David's path from loved son to college dropout to serial murder cyberpsycho was fully believable and the whole team was believable to the point you felt they were all good humans doing the best they could in a hosed up world, which is murdering thousands of innocents for quick cash. Somehow it felt like the world is what's hosed up, not the people.

The later 5 episodes felt a lot more run of the mill than the first five, I guess once the setup was there it became a bit more by-the numbers. I think eps 5-8 were the least interesting. The finale was thrilling, exciting, stupid fun, and fantastic. I poo poo my pants when Adam Smasher started moving along with David in slomo. Rebecca's sudden death was a gut punch. It felt like David had no idea what he wanted to achieve but in his final moment at least achieved something that mattered to him, and held on to his last sliver of humanity.

I hope there isn't a second season, this should be just these 10 eps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH2wmyeiIpA

New music video for the show. Really hope Edgerunners takes the award for best hame adaptation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hiroyuki Imaishi did a reddit AMA about Edgerunners. Worth a read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Edgerunners/comments/z9hre7/we_made_cyberpunk_edgerunners_ask_us_anything/

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
RIP the heelie theory.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"If you could do more with a directors cu-"

"GIVE REBECCA MORE GUNS"

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?