Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like that someone seemingly had to explain copium to Imaishi and he immediately claps back like a master troll with that response. Dude gets it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm re-watching Gurren Lagann and it reminds me how formative this anime was to part of my personality.

Never give up, and push forward through what seems insurmountable.

Trigger is awesome.

I got that all from GaoGaiGar but I'm glad Gainex/Trigger is carrying on the torch

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sure would make it easier to apply makeup if you didn't have to look in a mirror the whole time for most of it.

The dools all or mostly have fake faces this is just showing what it looks like during maintenance

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People upset about this ending more than Cowboy Bebop lol, anyways just got around to watching this and it was absolutely fantastic, admittedly I didn’t know it was Trigger at first so when that popped up on screen I knew I was in for a good time regardless

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Koirhor posted:

People upset about this ending more than Cowboy Bebop lol, anyways just got around to watching this and it was absolutely fantastic, admittedly I didn’t know it was Trigger at first so when that popped up on screen I knew I was in for a good time regardless

Cowboy Bebop was decades ago, and (like Ashita no Joe) left the possibility that the hero lived.

David's brains got blown all over the tower, and the possibility of him surviving in some form was brought up specifically to confirm it wasn't happening.

The hero died, the villain lived, and all that prevents it from being a total disaster is that the heroine managed to get away to build a new life on the moon. I can see why it hit people hard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Absolutely insane that the loving league show beat this at the VGAs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Absolutely insane that the loving league show beat this at the VGAs.

apparently it was pretty good too

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Arcane was excellent and deserved that win.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Cyberpunk was a lot of well-executed stylish fun from industry veterans, but it didn't push a lot of boundaries. It was good and I liked it! Arcane was an insanely ambitious project from a barely-known French studio, from untested writers, that absolutely hosed nailed it.

It's okay to like both things!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Cowboy Bebop was decades ago, and (like Ashita no Joe) left the possibility that the hero lived.

David's brains got blown all over the tower, and the possibility of him surviving in some form was brought up specifically to confirm it wasn't happening.

The hero died, the villain lived, and all that prevents it from being a total disaster is that the heroine managed to get away to build a new life on the moon. I can see why it hit people hard.

The other thing about Bebop is that for as much as Spike could have moved on with his life and ultimately threw it away, he did so in a way that finally put the past to bed and resolved things on his own terms. There was a sense of resolution at the end, like Spike had finally found purpose in life after losing what kept him holding on.

David's actions ending up getting a lot of people killed and only barely managed to save his lover and one other person, and the ultimate cruelty is that less than a year later he's already barely remembered by Night City and the world keeps getting shittier. He's a kid who was dealt a poo poo hand and didn't learn to live for himself, always trying to live up to other people's dreams and falling prey to his own hype delusions.

It comes down to context and you can argue the opposite for both characters but where I see fulfillment in Spike's choice, for David I felt he didn't have much of a choice at all.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 10, 2022

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Edgerunners single-handedly rehabilitated Cyberpunk's image to the general public. It totally deserved it more than the league show!!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Edgerunners single-handedly rehabilitated Cyberpunk's image to the general public. It totally deserved it more than the league show!!!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I liked Cyberpunk 2077 and the anime stood well on its own and also made me like the game more.

Arcane did not succeed in making me give a poo poo about League

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
arcane is one of the most triumphant pieces of animation in the last decade or more. it arrived at that point partly because it had an unholy amount of money and talent poured into it but awards don’t factor in that sort of thing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

arcane was pretty but league of legends is terrible so it can't really overcome that

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

arcane is one of the most triumphant pieces of animation in the last decade or more. it arrived at that point partly because it had an unholy amount of money and talent poured into it but awards don’t factor in that sort of thing

Of course the awards factor in that sort of thing. They openly prefer it :roflolmao:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1601592581145563136?t=XuazWpI74qDDvvzblS5ZTQ&s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I was glad Arcane won. I think it is groundbreaking, more for the overall look and direction than the narrative, but still.

I watched Arcane 3 times and Edgerunners twice. My wife preferred Cyberpunk because she said the themes of a horrible dystopia run by corporations that can easily destroy people's lives has more weight than the angst between two sisters. But there are still class issues in Arcane, they're just not as extremely obvious as in Cyberpunk. (but still pretty extremely obvious)

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Edgerunners is better then Arcane but Arcane is still good and it's fine that it won.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
yeah its like elden ring vs god of war ragnarok, there is no reason for anyone to go console warrior, both entries were of exceptional quality

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can't really speak to Arcane's quality as a project, but I really loving hate League of Legends, which has been a sticking point with me giving a chance

It's like the opposite of what happened with Castlevania, where I probably wouldn't have given a poo poo if had been like an edgy Rosario+Vampire reboot instead

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

OnimaruXLR posted:

I can't really speak to Arcane's quality as a project, but I really loving hate League of Legends, which has been a sticking point with me giving a chance

Even the people I know who actively still play League of Legends hate it. There was a whole thing when Arcane came out of the LoL community trying to convince people who enjoyed Arcane to not check out the game. Not for the typical "ew normies" gatekeeping you would expect from such a toxic community, but most of them just being brutally honest that the show is basically straight up false advertising with how loving good it is by comparison.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There was NO way Arcane wasn't the winner. Edgerunners was just unlucky, It would have easily won if it was any other year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I mean Edgerunners probably would have had a Sting song and not another rendition of Friday Night Firefight if they could but alas.

Arcane's a technical marvel up there with Into the Spider-Verse and the story is really good, but like somebody else said Edgerunners just resonates more so I don't feel either need to be viciously defended or anything.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... also, wait, why was Arcane in this year? Didn't it come out last year?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

... also, wait, why was Arcane in this year? Didn't it come out last year?

The last episode aired within the valid period or some crap. It was def some bullshit just to give it the award IMO lol

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The last episode aired within the valid period or some crap. It was def some bullshit just to give it the award IMO lol

It's just the way the windows for stuff like this falls. They got snubbed on a lot of lists in 2021 and early 2022 because they didn't fall in the right time spot.

Same thing happened to better call saul a couple of times due to its weird placement.

Mind you, arcane deserved the win.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

yeah its like elden ring vs god of war ragnarok, there is no reason for anyone to go console warrior, both entries were of exceptional quality

........ lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no need to go all film warrior. It's like A Space Odyssey vs. Hobo With A Shotgun,

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Generic American posted:

the show is basically straight up false advertising with how loving good it is by comparison.

So is Edgerunners :V

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Caros posted:

It's just the way the windows for stuff like this falls. They got snubbed on a lot of lists in 2021 and early 2022 because they didn't fall in the right time spot.

Same thing happened to better call saul a couple of times due to its weird placement.

Mind you, arcane deserved the win.
Even this year, a game like Signalis (which came out on October 27th) was completely ineligible for any awards, while God of War Ragnarok (released on November 9th) was a GOTY contender and basically swept every single other category that it was nominated for. I think based on some technicality where it was pre-cleared for consideration because review copies were sent out before the cutoff date? At least that's what I've heard secondhand from people who are more familiar with the industry.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the way the vgas work is you pay them money and you get to be in the show and sometimes you win even though your game isnt actually that popular or good. luckily sometimes the game that desreves wins (elden ring)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

there does not exist an awards show worth a drat, frankly.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

the way the vgas work is you pay them money and you get to be in the show and sometimes you win even though your game isnt actually that popular or good. luckily sometimes the game that desreves wins (elden ring)

I was honestly shocked it won tbh. It deserved it but I was expecting them to just give it to GOW but they thankfully didn't...lol that GOW won best OST over xenoblade tho.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
But which show would Reformed Orthodox Rabbi Bill Clinton watch?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
GOW won the Accessiblity award..... because it's a game for freaking babies!!!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sleng Teng posted:

there does not exist an awards show worth a drat, frankly.

Not even Hollywood's Biggest Night??

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

GOW won the Accessiblity award..... because it's a game for freaking babies!!!

every time i see someone online praising the Accessibilty of a game its literally always that its super easy and doesn't take any brain power lol. nobody ever talking about microsoft and like, screen reader support and stuff lol.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The winner of those awards is whoever pays the award committee the biggest bribe, it's pretty common knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Al Pacino was high as gently caress on stage and didn't know what he was doing there so the awards show was worth it to laugh at.

Edgerunners was never gonna win against Arcane even with both shows being preem quality. One is a gorgeous anime promotion tied to a game with a sour public reputation that has only started getting rehabilitated this year. The other is a hyper expensive and gorgeous promotion for a game that is publicly considered popular and good. Doesn't matter what the underlying reality is, it was always gonna be a popularity contest. Edgerunners would have lost by virtue of being an anime alone, regardless of being attached to Cyberpunk.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2022