Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larry Parrish posted:

every time i see someone online praising the Accessibilty of a game its literally always that its super easy and doesn't take any brain power lol. nobody ever talking about microsoft and like, screen reader support and stuff lol.

God Of War actually has a lot of that kind of accessibility option, it's pretty remarkable.

Granted, it's weird they didn't have an option to not have characters yell puzzle solutions at you if you stay still for two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway i shan't be watching arcane because even if i watch most of my TV off of pirate sites it feels like im paying the worst company on earth some of my attention and they don't deserve it. maybe they should try spending ten billion dollars on making their game good instead of guerilla marketing a game that everyone on earth has already played

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

There's no need to go all film warrior. It's like A Space Odyssey vs. Hobo With A Shotgun,

i felt that the win between these two was deserved though. i enjoyed the exploration into sentience in a being that should not be capable of higher order thinking, and the drive to live even if it meant causing others to die. ultimately the main character's death felt inevitable but not in a bad way because you knew there was no other way the story could end

there's a reason it's considered a classic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

where the red fern gropes posted:

i felt that the win between these two was deserved though. i enjoyed the exploration into sentience in a being that should not be capable of higher order thinking, and the drive to live even if it meant causing others to die. ultimately the main character's death felt inevitable but not in a bad way because you knew there was no other way the story could end

there's a reason it's considered a classic

for a second there you were selling me on arcane, until i checked the quote

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

anyway i shan't be watching arcane because even if i watch most of my TV off of pirate sites it feels like im paying the worst company on earth some of my attention and they don't deserve it. maybe they should try spending ten billion dollars on making their game good instead of guerilla marketing a game that everyone on earth has already played

It'd be funny to see what the kind of userbase graph looked like for Arcane where tons of people downloaded league after the show then quit immediately because the game is full of people calling you every slur under the sun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

As opposed to shining paragon of ethical business CD Projekt Red

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

at least cdproject pays their employees, studio trigger can't even manage that all the time

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It'd be funny to see what the kind of userbase graph looked like for Arcane where tons of people downloaded league after the show then quit immediately because the game is full of people calling you every slur under the sun.

Yeah, I bounced hard off LoL.

Legends of Runeterra's kinda fun, though. Their RPG was pretty good, too.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bro Dad posted:

at least cdproject pays their employees, studio trigger can't even manage that all the time

this is a time honored anime tradition

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Flesnolk posted:

The winner of those awards is whoever pays the award committee the biggest bribe, it's pretty common knowledge

That's not really plausible considering that the voting committee is a few thousand people, mostly legacy and new media. I've worked in this industry a long time and those media folks don't take bribes nor do game studios offer them.

What studios do instead is to try and sway media peeps by doing really lavish events for media with comped food, lodging, travel, cool venues, etc, though that's a lot less common since COVID. And even then, a lot of media types don't attend those anymore and it's mostly influencers, who, it should be noted, 100% take bribes, by and large. The ethics rules for streamers and youtubers are much much loser.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

As opposed to shining paragon of ethical business CD Projekt Red

I don't think they've spent like 100 million dollars on settling rape allegations from their executives out of court like Riot has lol.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the hierarchy of bad business practices here is easily Riot at #1, and then Trigger or CD Projekt Red comes next depending on whether you weight freelancers VS staff more heavily

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Larry Parrish posted:

every time i see someone online praising the Accessibilty of a game its literally always that its super easy and doesn't take any brain power lol. nobody ever talking about microsoft and like, screen reader support and stuff lol.

Except GOW is extremely hard on it’s hard difficulties lol. The accessibility stuff it has is legit awesome.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What studios do instead is to try and sway media peeps by doing really lavish events for media with comped food, lodging, travel, cool venues, etc

It might not be a literal briefcase full of cash, but that seems like you could arguably call it a bribe

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I would call Edgerunners the better show overall, especially since I have a soft spot for Trigger shows that are not Darling in the Franxx

However, Arcane managed the incredible feat of making the garbage nonsense that is the LoL backstory into something resembling an actually good story, and it did so by creating actually good original characters and deviating hard from all the poo poo in the LoL universe. Not to mention that it looks incredible. The show had NO reason to be as great as it is, and for that feat alone, the show makers should be applauded

The sheer difference in quality between Arcane and the source material also reinforces my belief that I should stay away from the games as far as possible and Riot will never get any more money except for what watching the show got 'em

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Flesnolk posted:

It might not be a literal briefcase full of cash, but that seems like you could arguably call it a bribe

Usually the people who come to those events aren't the ones reviewing. These are typically preview events, and like I said, they are a lot less common than they used to be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/edgerunners/status/1606605607791841280?t=mLhfM0kw2cQYLM3tT5FuoA&s=19

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I binged through the whole show today. Really good stuff!

In my opinion, it's definitely the best output from Hiroyuki Imaishi yet. I was pretty ehhh on Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and haven't seen Promare, but the heritage here from Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill is extremely clear. The former has a grander scale but a terribly slow start, while the latter is a lot funnier but a little repetitive and cringe. Of the three hot-blooded protagonists across the shows, I think David's the most nuanced one.

Cyberpunk's story was very tight and compelling, the pacing was phenomenal, the animation was strong, the action was over-the-top, and the ending was perfect. I think the ratio of a billion boobs to one dick was a little much, but y'know what, I'll take that too.

Comparing it to the other major video game animation I've seen recently, Arcane, I think it's a very close contest. Ultimately, I thought Arcane's ridiculously gorgeous art style (the only thing to match Spiderverse IMO) gave it an edge, along with a more complex characterization that led to more impactful emotional beats, but that's all probably subjective.

One thing I'll credit this show on: it made me really interested in playing the game it's based on, whereas I literally forgot Arcane was connected to a video game after a couple of episodes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that's probably a benefit in arcane's case

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Definitely

I was glad I was able to enjoy arcane without thinking about LOL at all except for heimerdinger and later figuring out who singe is cause that’s all I remember from 12 years ago

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

surf rock posted:

I think the ratio of a billion boobs to one dick was a little much, but y'know what, I'll take that too.

The director, Hiroyuki Imaishi, agrees with you.

quote:

(Imaishi) Speaking of things that we wanted to do, but didn't... we couldn't draw David's dick in the show.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

surf rock posted:

I binged through the whole show today. Really good stuff!

In my opinion, it's definitely the best output from Hiroyuki Imaishi yet. I was pretty ehhh on Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and haven't seen Promare, but the heritage here from Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill is extremely clear. The former has a grander scale but a terribly slow start, while the latter is a lot funnier but a little repetitive and cringe. Of the three hot-blooded protagonists across the shows, I think David's the most nuanced one.

Cyberpunk's story was very tight and compelling, the pacing was phenomenal, the animation was strong, the action was over-the-top, and the ending was perfect. I think the ratio of a billion boobs to one dick was a little much, but y'know what, I'll take that too.

Comparing it to the other major video game animation I've seen recently, Arcane, I think it's a very close contest. Ultimately, I thought Arcane's ridiculously gorgeous art style (the only thing to match Spiderverse IMO) gave it an edge, along with a more complex characterization that led to more impactful emotional beats, but that's all probably subjective.

One thing I'll credit this show on: it made me really interested in playing the game it's based on, whereas I literally forgot Arcane was connected to a video game after a couple of episodes.

Definitely go watch Promare, it's glorious

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Finally, got a chance to watch this as I was being stubborn on renewing Netflix despite getting a billion emails from them asking me to come back every other day.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 and even own the CE plus read a lot of the various lore involved, so I had a pretty good idea how things were going to go. That said, I did get spoiled on David's fate, which did miff me. Largely because they acted like it was not a big deal, even to those who were not well versed in the setting.

In the world of Cyberpunk, there is one thing that holds true, you will never win. You will never take down the corporations, they can rebuild from anything, even a drat bloody nuke like it's nothing. The city itself Night city is the worst city to live in, the worse crime rate, it's a total shitshow, the fact the corporations is
there suggest it's likely, so they can test things out and get away with it. Who will care? They own everything and everyone. It reminds me of a 40K quote, that goes something like "You are insignificant, no one will know your name or that you ever lived. When you die it will be like you never even existed" hence why so many
cyberpunks try to make a name, so they will be remembered. There are thousands like them, when they die, there will be hundreds more to replace them. The best you can do is to do something so significant you become a legend and spoken of. Otherwise, you're one more body to be chewed up and spit out, replaced by many more
like you. A never ending cycle.

It's rather amusing, Trigger got Becca into the show and fought for her inclusion, and even said "The loli is staying". Makes me laugh, the whole moon thing? That's them too, Trigger has something hard for space. If you have seen their shows, it's a constant theme.

David losing his mother and then Maine stepped in and became his father figure. Maine losing it, slapping and telling him off likely made David feel as if he was failing another parental figure like he did his mother, so despite the inevitable outcome, he wasn't willing to allow that again. If he died, so be it, even if it cost him everything.

The sad thing is this likely sealed his fate, Maine had become the very figure of what a Cyberpunk should be to David, he wanted to be like Maine. Why he goes from a scrawny kid to a jacked bruiser. Not that there was ever going to be a happy ending, people like them die all the time randomly when least expected, like Pilar did. You don't
even need to be in the middle of a fire fight or job, death can happen at any time. It's cruel and unforgiving.

The rip doctor gave a bit of a poo poo when it came to David, he tried to help him the best he could, tried to advise him. I liked that. Even if most people are out for number one, they still may try to help another.

That's why I get where Kiwi was coming from and what she did. Like Maine said to David, trust yourself. Did Kiwi even know it was Lucy doing the killings? Doesn't seem so. It was something that happened, and she had to roll with it. Not like she had a lot of choices, half the crew had been wiped out, she knew something was wrong
with David. Lucy's call, likely telling her all she needed to know how bad it was really getting. There wasn't much of a future left as it was going.

Everyone has secrets, and those secrets can cause others to turn on you easy enough. Especially if there is a way to make money off it, you got to be careful, even in a crew. It's not like anything last and crews replace people like changing body parts. It's partly why Lucy did what she did alone, to make sure David was protected as best
as possible. Despite this act, it only sped up the downfall. The alienation between them causing David being pushed to the edge of maintaining who he was and cyberpsychosis as everything built up.

Got to give out a shout to Falco, the guy came in the middle of everything going to absolute poo poo and stuck with them to the very end. Took on a dangerous job and crazy enough of all driving to the corporation's headquarters itself, never waivering even when Atom Smasher was in front of him. When it was said and done got Lucy out
there, told her what David said, splitting the money with her. Dude could have put a bullet in her head or screwed her, he didn't. In a place like Night City you want a Falco for such people are rare.

You knew Rebecca realized it was over when David called her mom. It was the end, she knew it. That's why she decided to see it through, she really did have a nice moment with them later. Until Atom Smasher dropped in.

The ending was sad and yes, I've listened to that song a dozen times over. It appears to be a constant, most people were impacted by the end, and that's how you know the show did what it was meant to. It might have been rushed in parts, but what a experience. Non anime fans even loved it, an amazing achievement to make happen.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Last Call posted:

That said, I did get spoiled on David's fate, which did miff me. Largely because they acted like it was not a big deal, even to those who were not well versed in the setting.

To be fair, he gets shot in the head at the end of the intro, every time. If that isn't foreshadowing being screamed in your face, especially for knowing the setting, then I don't know what show you actually watched. Downsides of Netflix intro skip button I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/edgerunners/status/1614955639498833924?s=33

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just the thing to go underneath an 800 pound Adam Smasher doorstop

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Just finished this series because I have some free time thanks to bronchitis. It somehow managed to live up to all the hype and I'm fairly confident it might be in my top five anime of all time. Netflix really knocks it out of the park with their exclusives between this and Devilman Crybaby.

I think David makes a lot of really bad decisions, but it's not like the better decisions are guaranteed to be better. If he had followed his mom's wishes he probably would have still met a bad end, just without being true to himself. If he hadn't gotten so chromed out, he probably wouldn't have made it much longer anyway and probably would not have been able to help his friends.

Regarding the ending I kind of got the vibe that Lucy was about to take off her helmet on the moon at the end. The moon had turned out to be a tourist trap and she had lost everyone she cared about, she didn't really escape away from it all. Also RIP Rebecca I was thinking you'd make it somehow.

Anyway now I'm gonna reinstall Cyberpunk 2077, mess about with things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They announced a Nendoroid of Rebecca at WonFes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Just finished this series because I have some free time thanks to bronchitis. It somehow managed to live up to all the hype and I'm fairly confident it might be in my top five anime of all time. Netflix really knocks it out of the park with their exclusives between this and Devilman Crybaby.

I think David makes a lot of really bad decisions, but it's not like the better decisions are guaranteed to be better. If he had followed his mom's wishes he probably would have still met a bad end, just without being true to himself. If he hadn't gotten so chromed out, he probably wouldn't have made it much longer anyway and probably would not have been able to help his friends.

Regarding the ending I kind of got the vibe that Lucy was about to take off her helmet on the moon at the end. The moon had turned out to be a tourist trap and she had lost everyone she cared about, she didn't really escape away from it all. Also RIP Rebecca I was thinking you'd make it somehow.

Anyway now I'm gonna reinstall Cyberpunk 2077, mess about with things.

About the ending:

Nah. Lucy's last scene had her remembering the good times in a way that suggests she wouldn't want to die now. Too many people sacrificed too much to let her get out clean for her to throw it away. She's not reaching for her helmet. She's embracing the sun. The joy David felt in its heat is how she can remember him and pay tribute to his life.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i wqtched arcane like a couple weeka ago and i couldnt tell u a single thing about it beside how nice it looked lol.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Tabletops posted:

Except GOW is extremely hard on it’s hard difficulties lol. The accessibility stuff it has is legit awesome.
u understood his point perfectly

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If he had followed his mom's wishes he probably would have still met a bad end, just without being true to himself.

yeah a big Thing about cyberpunk as a genre is that it's a real lose lose situation sort of idea. You can live a 'good' life if you stay in line and follow along with the corpo designated idea of what a good life is (essentially becoming an absolute cog in the machine).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

yeah a big Thing about cyberpunk as a genre is that it's a real lose lose situation sort of idea. You can live a 'good' life if you stay in line and follow along with the corpo designated idea of what a good life is (essentially becoming an absolute cog in the machine).

"Is that true?" he asked his father when his father was through explaining about the squirrels. "They're just so dumb they'll come back over and over and get shot?"

"Yes," Turner said, "it is." Then he smiled. "almost always ."

"Case? Last I heard he was married with some kids."

Most of the classic cyberpunk novels have the protagonist win, even when they can't break the system. Bad endings happen (Johnny Mneumonic didn't have things work out like he planned), but they're not a guarantee.

It's just that you've got to get lucky enough to win big, and then smart enough to walk away from the table, and that's a difficult combination for the kind of thrill jockies and petty crooks who are willing to take a paycheck for major crimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Major crimes you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4flxOo5Ew

God the music slaps so hard.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2023

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Just came to say I really enjoyed this. Music was great, I love Trigger visuals.

I really was pulling for a very happy ending for David and Lucy! It was not meant to be and I appreciated that, but I did get invested in them. Their central relationship theme of chasing dreams was well developed to the conclusion. IMO David was never searching for his dream, he made Lucy's dream his and did everything he could to get her there likely knowing he wouldn't be going with her because of what it would take. She never really grasped what his dream was until she's on the moon for real and feels both the sun and his love for her represented in her memory of their BD now that it's real.

chiasaur11 posted:

About the ending:

Nah. Lucy's last scene had her remembering the good times in a way that suggests she wouldn't want to die now. Too many people sacrificed too much to let her get out clean for her to throw it away. She's not reaching for her helmet. She's embracing the sun. The joy David felt in its heat is how she can remember him and pay tribute to his life.

Agreed.

I guess this show did its job because after mulling on it for a few days I bought 2077 and fired it up to chase my own story in Night City.

surfrock - get on Promare that poo poo is so good.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I guess this show did its job because after mulling on it for a few days I bought 2077 and fired it up to chase my own story in Night City.

There was a lot of that when the anime first aired.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rinkles posted:

There was a lot of that when the anime first aired.

I think it pushed 2077 to have some crazy number of concurrent players when the series first dropped.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, nowhere near what it was on release, but it did quintuple the average concurrent players on Steam, and even now months later it's still double what it was before the anime aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The anime was the best thing to signal boost how much the game had improved with the 1.5 and 1.6 updates.