Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm not that far and haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen of the anime and what I've heard of the game, it seems this series gets the "punk" in "cyberpunk" more than 2077 or Red, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought 2077 and Edgerunners strike pretty similar tones. Granted 2077 is slightly less grim in the best case scenario since it's a video game you win the final boss fight, kill Adam Smasher, and extend your life for a few months.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 16, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

It’s an overwhelmingly popular success, so a second season seems likely.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s an overwhelmingly popular success, so a second season seems likely.

Dunno about that. It'd be cool if it happens, but for obvious reasons, it'd have to be a completely new set of characters. Also, Edgerunners was also already in production before Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to not be as successful as hoped. Anime also rarely get second seasons these days, and Trigger has probably already moved on to other projects.

It did boost the sales for the game a lot so there is still a small hope, but I wouldn't say its likely.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been out for three days. Anything can happen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cyberpunk was an overwhelming commercial success that made absolutely ooodles and oodles of money. It had really bad word of mouth at launch due to bugs but also made back its entire development budget in the first week of sales.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
This show ruled and, personally speaking, had the vibe that I really wanted from the game and couldn’t get. I also enjoyed the fact that it got as much mileage out of the side characters as they could. Becca went from “the wacky little trigger girl” to “goddamn she’s the best ever” by the end.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

So somebody figured out how to roughly copy David in Cyberpunk 2077 as a pretty broken playable character.

https://youtu.be/DxRgh2vc278

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbLODUb1sA

Just playing on repeat... loving hell.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah that song has been running in my head since finishing Edgerunners.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah that song has been running in my head since finishing Edgerunners.

That whole sequence reminded me so much of FLCL. Just slamming you with so many mixed emotions all at once, knowing that it's the only way it could have played out once events were set in motion. Catharsis and heartbreak, and a song stuck on repeat.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently the singer wrote and recorded the song right after her boyfriend died so that’s some extra sadness.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I literally just finished binging through the entire back half of the season, and while I enjoyed the hell out of it, I do have to agree with some of the complaints about Lucy. She came out so strong initially, but it felt like as soon as their brain dance on the moon was over, she became so much more passive and morose compared to her first few interactions with David. And that only became worse after the time-skip following the deaths of Maine and Dorio. Obviously there are narrative reasons for that, but it still kept her from having anything interesting to do for the majority of the story's climax other than icing a couple of random guys and then being kidnapped.

As someone who absolutely hated the game when it first came out, I can say that I didn't have very high expectations for this going in and only watched it because of the "Let You Down" music video looking so gorgeous... Now, though? I just desperately hope that it somehow does manage to get a continuation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I get that Lucy was honeypotting David with a manic pixie dream girl routine in episode 2 but I would have liked it if she'd kept at least some of the personality that shows she likes to have fun afterwards. She flips a switch into a different character who is much more morose and less interesting after that. Not bad, but not a standout, just a play on a typical love interest = stability thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s wild to see so many people write off the second half of Lucy’s plot when it’s way more in depth and interesting than David’s. Like by the end of the show even David has completely supplanted himself and straight up says that her life and her dreams are more important, and the whole crux of that is that her dreams aren’t “The Moon”, her dreams are caring about someone who loves her, caring about David. That’s why she’s so much more than just a princess locked in another tower. She’s actually the one saving him.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 17, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bust Rodd I've conceded the point on her role in the story already but I think that you're equating an acknowledgment of criticism as a dismissal or as a total write off of the character. Mostly I feel Lucy could have been done better, or given some more flair or just some more something. I'd have liked a 12 episode run with one more episode between 3 and 4 and another one after the time skip to get a better sense of a before and after with Lucy and to let us see more of how her and David's relationship starts vs how it's going. It feels abrupt in the first half how she goes from honeypot to her usual self to being in a relationship with David in three episodes and that time is also divided up with David's interactions with the rest of the crew. For something so important to the plot it felt like it needed some more buildup at the beginning.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just completed bingewatching, i can easily say that's this the first trigger anime i ever enjoyed since i honestly always dropped halfway or earlier all their series(beside ninja slayer, which while being barely animated wasn't bad). Shame about some of the characters story ends especially rebecca which deserved more.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s wild to see so many people write off the second half of Lucy’s plot when it’s way more in depth and interesting than David’s.

It's absolutely more deep and interesting than David's arc (which feels downright inevitable after a certain point), but at the same time, it feels very disconnected from the majority of what is happening on-screen for those episodes. It might be interesting on its own, but that doesn't inherently make it entertaining to watch and it's hard not to look back at some of those earlier scenes to imagine what the season could've been like if she had retained some of that energy. Like I don't think we ever see her actually have fun like she does during the scene where she's riding David's medical stretcher through traffic — and while hindsight lets us know that she had an ulterior motive for acting a certain way around him, it's hard to imagine that just being purely theatrical on her part.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Sleng Teng posted:

I think where this show succeeded the most for me, other than the very much appreciated hyper-everything ova feel, is probably one of its main commercial goals: it makes me want to try out the game.

you totally should

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a really good game. I 100%ed it before the major patches (but after the minor ones that fixed the truly game-breaking bugs) and loved every minute of it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SlowBloke posted:

Just completed bingewatching, i can easily say that's this the first trigger anime i ever enjoyed since i honestly always dropped halfway or earlier all their series(beside ninja slayer, which while being barely animated wasn't bad). Shame about some of the characters story ends especially rebecca which deserved more.

Yeah it would have been nice if she survived but she was always heading for a messy end, it just happened during the story rather than later.

Though if anyone had to die for shock value, come on, Falco is right there. Nobody cares about you, Falco!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah it would have been nice if she survived but she was always heading for a messy end, it just happened during the story rather than later.

Though if anyone had to die for shock value, come on, Falco is right there. Nobody cares about you, Falco!

Falco just felt like the sort of guy who doesn't risk enough of himself to likely end up as pavement juice. He's the sort of grizzled old hand who has seen a dozen different edgerunner teams rise and fall, and will likely see a dozen more. Just does the job, takes the money, and doesn't try anything crazy, stupid, or pointlessly antagonistic (within the bounds of Night City logic, at least). Rebecca, on the other hand, was all about that high-risk, high-reward life from day one. She was never going to die clean.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Falco's design owns and I lowkey like that he lives.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm liking this show a lot more than I thought I would, so far

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
something about the show gave me DMCB vibes the whole way through pretty much. partially i think some of the art/aesthetic but also some of the general themes. The ending of DMCB is obviously a blackhole of bleakness compared to edgerunners but I couldn't shake the feeling, especially in the back half.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's kind of funny how something so thoroughly worthless (Cyberpunk 2077) has managed to turn out something actually pretty cool

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah this was really good.
Ended up taking a shining to Becca. When Adam came in I figured most characters werent going to make it. Feared the worst, and it pretty much happened! Was hoping she'd pull through.

Didnt catch the recommendation to watch in english. Will give that a try on a rewatch some months from now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just finished it. Was good. I also recommend the English audio as it seems like that was what it was meant to be experienced as.

I felt like Lucy in episode 1 had much more of Rebecca, but then Lucy got stoic and Rebecca chewed the scenery, feels discordant. Maybe rewrites.

also I would have loved two more episodes for pacing. One when he's still a kid with a nice sandavisan growing with the team, and one after Maine's death bekfr the time skip.

also glad they didn't try to go with a happy ending, which isn't really on theme of any dystopia. The finale felt tense and earned and valid.

Ride shiny and chrome, choom, shiny and chrome.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

M_Gargantua posted:

Just finished it. Was good. I also recommend the English audio as it seems like that was what it was meant to be experienced as.

I felt like Lucy in episode 1 had much more of Rebecca, but then Lucy got stoic and Rebecca chewed the scenery, feels discordant. Maybe rewrites.

also I would have loved two more episodes for pacing. One when he's still a kid with a nice sandavisan growing with the team, and one after Maine's death bekfr the time skip.

also glad they didn't try to go with a happy ending, which isn't really on theme of any dystopia. The finale felt tense and earned and valid.

Ride shiny and chrome, choom, shiny and chrome.

Lucy in episode 1 was pulling a con job to get close to David since he had the implant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah she was honeypotting him. But she was being sincere during their BD session, so i wish that some more of her personality during the con job was also genuine. It'd be nice if she actually had fun.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tabletops posted:

this is the scene i was thinking of in particular lol

most of the previous scenes definitely looked 100% like trigger stuff but this one looked like it was out of the game haha

The traffic pileup explosion is an old Imaishi mainstay (which he in turn based on stuff from Lupin or Cat's Eye). See for example two in a row in Panty & Stocking's car chase episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMIWqvC7qpw&t=978s.

It also cracks me up that episode 1's opening scene is Imaishi's usual cops-with-guns-blazing scene made less cartoony and more dramatic

Chev fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 18, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lucy totally stole her haircut from Serial Experiments Lain.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
I agree with everyone saying they could have done 2 extra episodes for pacing. It would have been nice to see two extra episodes (one pre and one post) time skip of the crews just doing a “heist of the week” episode not connected to any overarching metaplot. Felt the same way about GitS SAC 2045. “Batou goes to the bank” was basically the only stand alone episode.

I did like the portrayal of “just remember: the only person you can really trust is yourself.” I feel like in most media it’s just a setup for the trope of the very obvious shady evil character is going to betray everyone at a pivotal moment. It was a little more humanized: yeah people in that environment will look out for number one, especially when times are tough and it’s the only way out, but also acknowledges that you can’t not form some kind of social bond when everyone is putting their lives into eachother’s hands. (Faraday does do the big obvious betrayal but probably would have been killed by Arasaka, Militech, or someone else before the end of the week if David didn’t get to him first because he is way too quick to pull the “betray” lever in every situation.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pulcinella posted:

I agree with everyone saying they could have done 2 extra episodes for pacing. It would have been nice to see two extra episodes (one pre and one post) time skip of the crews just doing a “heist of the week” episode not connected to any overarching metaplot. Felt the same way about GitS SAC 2045. “Batou goes to the bank” was basically the only stand alone episode.

I did like the portrayal of “just remember: the only person you can really trust is yourself.” I feel like in most media it’s just a setup for the trope of the very obvious shady evil character is going to betray everyone at a pivotal moment. It was a little more humanized: yeah people in that environment will look out for number one, especially when times are tough and it’s the only way out, but also acknowledges that you can’t not form some kind of social bond when everyone is putting their lives into eachother’s hands. (Faraday does do the big obvious betrayal but probably would have been killed by Arasaka, Militech, or someone else before the end of the week if David didn’t get to him first because he is way too quick to pull the “betray” lever in every situation.)

Yeah, this was excellent. When Kiwi betrays the group, I didn't feel like I hated her or anything, like you do Faraday. My thoughts were "Why'd you have to go and do that, Kiwi?" Which is why after the betrayal, she gets to redeem herself.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched this all tonight. never played the game. it kicked an obscene amount of rear end and i highly recommendl. goodbye

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also Lucy pwns and anyone thinking otherwise has some kinda brainworms

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I liked the tone they went for the ending, couldn't have finished any other way . Still very sad abou Rebecca and Kiwi though .At least Falco made it!

Don't know if I want another season however, specially if it's not made by Trigger.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I never played CP2077, and have only a passing familiarity with CP2020, but this was a drat fine weekend of watching.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, this was excellent. When Kiwi betrays the group, I didn't feel like I hated her or anything, like you do Faraday. My thoughts were "Why'd you have to go and do that, Kiwi?" Which is why after the betrayal, she gets to redeem herself.

Kiwi even lampshades her decision, second-guessing herself on the way to the meetup. Every "you're about to get got" red flag was already up, she sensed this, and she ignored them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You don't really miss anything by not playing the game. You just get a lot of little callouts to it like:
The sound-effects for the phone calls are the same as in the game, as is the font and format.
The Martinez's apartment looks a lot like V's apartment.
Characters that appeared in the game like Delamain and Wakako have the same VAs.
That one montage where David and Rebecca see Rogue at the Afterlife.