Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Well I lay my head on the railroad track
Waiting on the Double E
But the train don't run by here no more
Poor poor pitiful me

Unacceptable? Obviously they are in poor taste but are they as bad as, say, racist jokes? I'm even talking about things as simple as the classic "index finger to temple and pull the trigger" or being in a difficult situation and saying you wish you were dead or whatever. Probably best to avoid these kinda jokes because they can be triggering to some people, but a lot of people probably do it without even thinking about what it really means.

Full disclosure i did have someone close to me that was lost to suicide. I recently heard that it is preferred to say it that way and not say "committed suicide" like it's a crime or something. Anyway i still laugh at suicide jokes at first but then if i really think about it it's kinda triggering i guess. I wouldn't probably confront a person about it unless it was really in bad taste. I know that most people don't mean any harm by it, they just don't think about whether it could hurt someone.

What i really wonder about too is how many people deal with their grief with dark humor and whether that is healthy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

gas

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
anti-S-word campaigns are rooted in imperialism and colonial empires needing their subjects to stop honor offing themselves.

Joke away, I say

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A random dude was standing on the edge of a bridge. A cop was nearby trying to talk him off the ledge. But then the cop saw a steer swimming in the river and yelled, "COW..." The guy heard the cop and jumped, and found himself in some bullshit.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Did you know that if you suffer from suicidal ideation you're given the all clear to make jokes about it if it helps you to cope?

I tried it out, but hit a trigger early on and stopped abruptly

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
was gonna tell a suicide joke here. but i couldnt pull the trigger

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was doing well with my depression until someone ignored my high five and left me hanging

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In retrospect we should have considered the ramifications of greenlighting The Brave Little Toasters' Bathtime Adventures

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Humor is how you deal with that poo poo. Gallows humor is always great just don't pull that out at someone's funeral unless you really know the crowd :shrug:

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

:emptyquote:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A Brit, a Frenchman, and an American are captured by tribesman. The leader tells them, "Okay, the bad news is we're gonna use your skins to make a boat. Good news is, you get to choose your method of execution."

The Brit chooses a revolver. "Long live the Queen!" he declares, and blows his brains out.

The Frenchman chooses a sword. "Vive la France!" he cries, and falls on the sword.

The American chooses a fork. Confused, the leader hands him one and the American proceeds to stab the poo poo out of himself all over. Just goes to town and by the end of it, he's a bloody mess. Absolutely pulped.

"Why would you choose such a terrible way to die?!" asks the leader.

The American summons the last of his breath as he throws down the fork. "So much for your loving boat."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Say what you will about Nirvana's music, but Kurts' raw talent was mindblowing

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Songbearer posted:

Say what you will about Nirvana's music, but Kurts' raw talent was mindblowing

Lol that one got me

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

definitely a fellow dark humor griefer here

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

What time did Lowtax shoot himself?

ate a glock in the morning

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 15, 2022

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Place your tongue upon my scrote, op.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chief McHeath posted:

Unpleasant, to be sure, but how is it fatal?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Dixville posted:

Waiting on the Double E
Poor poor pitiful me

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I've read that nitrogen is the way to go

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Remember when amazon was selling some chemical and so many people used it for suicide that the 'you might also like' suggested products were all sleeping pills and poo poo like that? Capitalism is amazing.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Dixville posted:

Full disclosure i did have someone close to me that was lost to suicide. I recently heard that it is preferred to say it that way and not say "committed suicide" like it's a crime or something.

Suicide is illegal op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What are they gonna do, execute you?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Colonel Cancer posted:

What are they gonna do, execute you?

Have you heard about the Fourth Stimpire?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dixville posted:

Waiting on the Double E
Poor poor pitiful me

What i really wonder about too is how many people deal with their grief with dark humor and whether that is healthy or not.

When I was on vacation with my family, there was a kids' song consistently on the tape deck that seems to be a parody of this rhyme and in hindsight it was kinda hosed up of a thing to pop in as merry childrens' entertainment:

"a peanut sat on a railroad track, his heart was all a-flutter
round the bend came number ten, choo-choo! peanut butter
SQUISH"

That peanut had feelings yo. Even as a kid I was like, but why is the peanut's heart all a-flutter?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

CJacobs posted:

When I was on vacation with my family, there was a kids' song consistently on the tape deck that seems to be a parody of this rhyme and in hindsight it was kinda hosed up of a thing to pop in as merry childrens' entertainment:

"a peanut sat on a railroad track, his heart was all a-flutter
round the bend came number ten, choo-choo! peanut butter
SQUISH"

That peanut had feelings yo. Even as a kid I was like, but why is the peanut's heart all a-flutter?

anaphylactic shock

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bring allergic to yourself is a way to describe depression, it's true

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Chief McHeath posted:

Present it