Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The layered gimmicks are making me really look forward to the post-Master stage where the designer can combine things even more.

That is, assuming that this follows the pattern of most MM games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Does that weapon behave (almost) like the Bubble Bobble bubbles? Awesome. :choco:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The idea that Ghost Woman's stage is basically a theme park haunted house with robot ghosts gives off some great Battle Network energy and I love it.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

FYI, the video title for this update on youtube still says Ghost Woman.

I like this level but I definitely thought starting with these two was a bit cruel; that said, Reactor Man's stage is pretty fair with how it uses the instakill beams, and they make for some neat puzzles (and, with that one exception, always start you in a safe location to assess the next challenge).

I'm not surprised you didn't catch it, I certainly didn't on my first go-round, but there's a trick to the Reactor Man fight: he has a tell that visually indicates when the laser shots are going to come out, if you look closely at his gun you can see a charge metre that fills up before each shot. This fight gets a lot easier once you know about that and don't have to rely on audio cues.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Fixed that up! Thanks!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I believe the robo kitty at the end is a cameo appearance of Tango, from Mega Man 5.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

Spookyelectric posted:

I believe the robo kitty at the end is a cameo appearance of Tango, from Mega Man 5.

I think it is! I love Tango! :)

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Tango was in the intro as well.

Though wasn't Tango only in Mega Man V rather than Mega Man 5?
(Gotta love those confusing naming conventions)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Maybe that's why they showed us Tango! Maybe Roll will have access to Tango instead of Rush! That would make sense: Roll's advantage is mobility, so Rock gets mobility assistance from his dog, and Rock's advantage is offense, so Roll gets offensive assistance from her cat!

If that is the case, I'm going to be personally obligated to play this. That would make me so happy :D

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
There are some Bloodborne mods, but they only work on a modded PS4, which is apparently rather difficult to set up. But some of those mods are rather impressive, such as this one which restores a cut bossfight.

The butterfly robots emerging from the caterpillar robots is such a nice idea, though it's probably better not to think too hard about what the practical purpose of those robots could possibly be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carpator Diei posted:

There are some Bloodborne mods, but they only work on a modded PS4, which is apparently rather difficult to set up. But some of those mods are rather impressive, such as this one which restores a cut bossfight.

The butterfly robots emerging from the caterpillar robots is such a nice idea, though it's probably better not to think too hard about what the practical purpose of those robots could possibly be.

Replacing lost fauna/flora through nature mimetic robots.

Its a weird undercurrent through the megaman games. Where by the time X rolls around you have entire robot managed ecologies because of widespread ecological damage, then in zero where the planets more or less hosed aside from a few pockets of nature, and then far, far in the future is legends where the worlds had a little time to reclaim what hasmt been flooded.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

"Maybe use the ghost power when the bees are closer"

"okay sure" *proceeds to shoot a single bee with the mega buster while the other 2 and the boss literally swarm you*

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I think this may be my favourite stage so far, it's got a nice design, those Caterpiller to moth robots were great.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Panto is Serious Business, Nat.

Oh no it isn't!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tindalos posted:

I think this may be my favourite stage so far, it's got a nice design, those Caterpiller to moth robots were great.

Oh no it isn't!

Oh yes it is!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FeyerbrandX posted:

"Maybe use the ghost power when the bees are closer"

"okay sure" *proceeds to shoot a single bee with the mega buster while the other 2 and the boss literally swarm you*

Yeah, I get the feeling that soul trap is the weakness for both bosses just because minions spawned by robot masters are relatively rare, and minions that interact with a weapon even more so. Usually if that's the case, the weapon is the boss's weakness because it either annihilates all of the minions and then hits the boss hard, or uses the minion in some creative advantageous way.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It very blatantly is - even hitting the bosses directly with the Soul Trap does more damage than the uncharged Buster or the laser.

It isn't as if Nat and Tea didn't figure that out either - they just decided that exploiting it was too finicky.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The guy that runs away at the start of the stage is Plant Man from MM6.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Referencing next episode
The author certainly got clever with some of these mechanics, even if they're a bit sadistic.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
From my own playthough of the game which I just finished, every boss is easier with Roll unfortunately. The double jump makes it a lot easier to dodge anything, which means that you take less damage overall, and also hit the boss easier when they're flying around which means that your damage output is around the same.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got the game myself last night, and so far after trying all the stages with both characters managed to take down Ghost Woman with Roll and Missile Man with Rock. The latter is probably the easiest stage and boss combination IMO; while I had no problem with Ghost Woman's stage, she gave me quite a bit of trouble.

I'm really enjoying this LP; the back-and-forth banter as you take turns struggling through an 8-bit Mega Man game really takes me back.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Eeepies posted:

From my own playthough of the game which I just finished, every boss is easier with Roll unfortunately. The double jump makes it a lot easier to dodge anything, which means that you take less damage overall, and also hit the boss easier when they're flying around which means that your damage output is around the same.

It doesn't surprise me honestly.
Classic Megaman, like all* the platformer protagonists of the NES/SNES era, handles like a brick and jumps have zero maneuverability. Realistic, but there's a reason the genre moved away from it; gently caress, just look at the bullshit mid-air maneuvers Nat did in Hollow Knight.
Enter Roll, a double jumper in a game where enemy patterns need to be avoidable with Megaman's single brick jump. Short of outright crippling her the mobility advantage is too great.

*off the top of my head Sonic may manage to hide it better but even he's not an exception.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You know, I'm pretty sure I've seen the same anglerfish concept (with a giant energy refill for the lure) in at least one other Megaman game, and I can't for the life of me remember whether it was an official game or another fangame. It's a pretty clever idea, I've always enjoyed it.

You've been asking some questions about mechanics and I'm not sure if you actually want to know the answers or not, so I'll put them behind spoiler bars.

On what the allies do: They help you out during the Fortress stages, and each of them gets you access to a path you couldn't otherwise take.
Corollary to that: Each of those optional paths leads to a lock. If you open all four, you unlock a bonus level where you play as Protoman. I think you get a better ending if you beat it?

On the letters: they first appeared in Megaman 5, IIRC, and collecting all eight (to spell MEGAMANV) unlocked Beat. I know they appeared again in Megaman 7, and you could spell RUSH to unlock the Super Adaptor (one of those weird things where Rush turned into a suit of armour, and you got a homing rocket punch). I don't remember them appearing in other official games, but they might have; fangame creators really seem to like them, though. In this one they unlock some neat upgrades, they're worth picking up. Rock's upgrade gives another stage of charged shot, and Roll's gives you a bit of extra air on the double jump.

On the W tank: IIRC, you were under the impression it refills only one weapon. It refills all of them at once.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
In games like this, where there are some bottomless pits, and others are not, I've mentally categorized the ones that 'kill' you as pits that either lead you in the wrong direction, or would take so long to get out that the bad guy would have won or gotten away. The ones you 'survive' are the ones that lead to progress towards your goal. Schrödinger's Pit, if you will.

Also, I have discovered a new and interesting backlog of video to watch. There goes my free time this month. I hope you're happy, Nat20 and Tea!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Really glad to see new faces find the LP and the channel!

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

There was a stag beetle in the X games! Gravity Beetle in X3.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Hah, the latest episode is kind of funny if you remember the Megaman 9 LP.

2018 Natural 20: The autofire is cheating!
2022 Natural 20: If the dev is watching this, they should add an autofire

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Luninareph posted:

There was a stag beetle in the X games! Gravity Beetle in X3.

Also Boomer Kuwanger from the first MMX game.

And I sympathize with the struggle to make that last jump at the end of this episode. Definitely one of the toughest jumps to make in the game, at least as Rock. Once I figured out that the birds only take one shot to kill and I didn't need to hold a charge for anything, it got a lot easier to make.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Looking at some of these levels, I seriously wonder what Engelhard is thinking comparing this mod's difficulty to MM1 and 4. The latter was my first MM game and I still managed to complete it with no real issue, while the only difficult parts of 1 for me were stuff like the Yellow Devil and the clone Mega Man boss.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 6, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

Hah, the latest episode is kind of funny if you remember the Megaman 9 LP.

2018 Natural 20: The autofire is cheating!
2022 Natural 20: If the dev is watching this, they should add an autofire

Man gets old.

Shitenshi posted:

Looking at some of these levels, I seriously wonder what Engelhard is thinking comparing this mod's difficulty to MM1 and 4. The latter was my first MM game and I still managed to complete it with no real issue, while the only difficult parts of 1 for me were stuff like the Yellow Devil and the clone Mega Man boss.

It's much, much closer to MM9 if you don't know the boss order.

Same as 11 actually.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Could the monkeys throwing explosive bananas be a reference to Microsoft's 1991 Basic game GORILLA.BAS?

Nah, probably just a coincidence.

Why are the cute ones always so dangerous?
Indeed, this new battle-ready Roll would make for a formidable rival...
Ahem, I was talking about Drake Man

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Melaneus posted:

Could the monkeys throwing explosive bananas be a reference to Microsoft's 1991 Basic game GORILLA.BAS?

Holy poo poo, I thought this game was a fever dream thought up by 3 year old preschool me, not an actual thing I played

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I remember that game having a bug. If you typed in too many characters, they would overflow and start filling up the map. For whatever reason, that ended up counting as terrain that your bananas would impact on. It was very silly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is a cool level. I think it's a bit strange that you're so set on getting that health drop with Beat instead of Rush. If you use Rush, you have a non-depleted Beat to try to find out whether there really is something to the left of that one platform.

I like that you're beginning to appreciate bubble shield. I'm always annoyed when people dismiss shields out of hand, because unless the shield in question is really bad, it's usually good for it's purpose. That is, trivializing certain sections with weak enemies. Like the flame sprites in this stage. And sections with these enemies are often very platform-y, meaning you can concentrate fully on this aspect of the game.

If you use shields against strong enemies, you're doing it wrong and shouldn't blame the shield.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Slaan posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought this game was a fever dream thought up by 3 year old preschool me, not an actual thing I played

Hard same :psyduck: I watched my brother and my father playing it a lot but neither of them have any memory of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Slaan posted:

I played it with my mother a bit as a tot and yeah, I was astounded when I saw it two decades later elsewhere on an old computer. It directly lead into me finding and loving Scorched Earth which is a goddamned treasure of an old game.