Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Rock's stage is probably the hardest in the whole Wily castle, so you're past the difficulty peak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 29, 2022

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those alternate routes the allies put you on look more like a pain than a help.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I really get the impression that the designer was much better at using Roll's abilities for interesting challenges than Rock's.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Sometimes, you just flow through a level like water. Other times it's like you have two left feet and two left hands, and they're switched. Keep at it, you can do it!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is a really neat boss fight, but it's unforgiving to learn because (thanks to the pits) a lot of mistakes end up turning into instant death. I don't know how far ahead you've recorded, but the best advice I could give for this one is to take your time and focus more on staying alive than trying to get hits in. (Which I know is even harder when you get into frustrated/tilted mode after repeating the level so many times! Um.)

The weakness situation for this boss is also interesting, a lot of weapons have unorthodox effects in this fight depending on how and when you use them... I think I tend to prefer fighting it with the buster though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Checking the wiki, there is in fact an environmental clue to the giant light bulb fight!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gnoman posted:

Checking the wiki, there is in fact an environmental clue to the giant light bulb fight!

Which is?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The developer talks about it in a comment under the youtube video. It's actually pretty clever.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

anilEhilated posted:

The developer talks about it in a comment under the youtube video. It's actually pretty clever.

That requires breaking the first rule of the Internet: never read the comments.

Okay that is a clever clue. I wondered a bit about that last episode, but it felt a bit more Zelda than MegaMan. I am glad to see that the laser does something if you do it right; that seemed like it would either be the weakness (overload) or it would be flat-out immune ("thanks for the power!").

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
With the weapon balancer, if you have the normal mega buster selected, using one charge of Rush Jump to get a big weapon energy capsule will fill up that chunk, plus a few of the other weapons I think? So not picking up the weapon energy is a mistake, imho.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Just FYI since you were wondering about it, the alternate path you couldn't figure out how to access is gotten to through the underwater section. When you reach the ladder, instead of going up, Rush Jet off the right side of the screen and you'll come to a small room with IIRC a large health and yet another extra life. the ladder from there goes up to the dark area with the two bats, then off to the left where you slide under the gap and proceed normally. Just a small detour for an extra life, and all you miss is the two fire shooters over the water.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Honestly kind of feels like this should have been the first Rock level; both the level itself and especially the boss seemed a lot easier, not to mention the above-average amount of extra lives.
By the way, the weakness of this boss is indeed the missile, but it can also be frozen with the snowball to make a subseqeunt missile hit more effective.
And Eddie's evil counterpart is obviously named Baddie.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Well-played, this level seems to have given you a lot less trouble. I do think you made a few of the jumps harder on yourselves by not destroying some of the boxes, but what you did seems to have worked just fine in the end.

The boss is a neat concept (and variation on a classic Mega Man boss, too). Changing patterns each phase was an interesting twist to put on this one.

The next level up is my favourite in the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I've pretty much been waiting the whole LP for you to get here; this might genuinely be the most impressive and memorable Mega Man level I've ever seen. The Fortress stages in general are excellent, both individually and in the new ideas for how the Fortress part of a Mega Man game can work.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know I haven't been the most fond of these fortress stages, but I really do think this one is clever. I've seen that weird looping thing where going to one end of the screen just puts you on the opposite side in rom hacks before, but it really works well in this one.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I really enjoyed that level, super solid design there

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carpator Diei posted:

I've pretty much been waiting the whole LP for you to get here; this might genuinely be the most impressive and memorable Mega Man level I've ever seen. The Fortress stages in general are excellent, both individually and in the new ideas for how the Fortress part of a Mega Man game can work.

I'll get to this comment after the next episode.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is my favourite level. It's really well done as far as puzzle levels go, it's not that hard to figure out what you have to do, but figuring it out really makes you feel clever (and it makes you recontextualise things again and again, and change how you interpret parts of the screen). It's just really excellent design all around (and the music's great too).

The only thing I don't like in this level are the baby Yellow Devil enemies, but that's more because they're annoying than an actual design complaint. It feels to me like they spend a bit too long being invincible, to the point it's not worth bothering to fight them since you can just run past; they just end up being a weird kind of obstacle.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
How many shots from the Buster does it take to even defeat one of those mini-Yellow Devils?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nice boss design there

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

I swear that song has a snippet from Wild West (The Veldt theme) from Final Fantasy VI.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

I'll get to this comment after the next episode.

As promised.

This is the single best stage a Mega Man game, official or fangame has produced in my opinion.

The only comparable ones for me are Splash Woman in 9 and Quick Man in 2.

And I don't think they come close. The platforming precision alongside the creativity of the puzzles and the immediate visual appeal of the stage are put simply, not something I've seen a platformer put together so well.

This stage was an absolute joy to play top to bottom and you can hopefully hear how engaged Tea and I are as we play through it. Dying to the boss wasn't even that bad because we just get to play back through this kickass stage again.

Rock n Roll isn't my favourite game of this year, but with this stage alone it is very very close.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, everything about this level is just amazing, from the intro glitching out to the way the laws of physics seem to have gone haywire. It really conveys a sense of "Whatever Dr. Wiley was researching in here has gone horribly awry."

Also, I think the gimmick of the boss for the Weapons Depot stage is that he changes his weakness everytime you damage him, which is indicated by the lights on the boss and his shots changing colors.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This, and as mentioned the Wily Fortress in general, is in my opinion what takes Rock'n'Roll from 'This is a very well-made fangame' to 'This might legitimately be better than the source material'.

And no one has even mentioned yet that Dennis managed to make a Yoku Devil boss-fight fun.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That stage gave me second-hand "aha!" from witnessing the puzzles, twice. First from understanding them on the initial run, then again from appreciating just how good they really are on the rerun.

At the very least it's the best vertical slice of classic megaman I can think of.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I wonder if the balance issue with Roll being overall more useful than Rock could have been mitigated if you got to play as Protoman in the main game instead of Rock. The bullet deflection on top of the charge shot could have been adequate compensation for the lack of a double jump, and story-wise it wouldn't change much if Rock's and Protoman's roles were switched.
Would have kind of ruined the title pun, though.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, yeah, this Protoman level is the reward for saving the allies and opening all four locks. It's pretty tough, but it's fair and learnable, and it's an absolute nostalgia blast with how much it calls back to the first ever Wily Fortress in aesthetics, mechanics, and enemy types.

I don't think you guys have picked up on this, but his buster is slightly different from either Rock's or Roll's: Protoman can only have two bullets on screen at once, compared to the siblings' 3. And, as you did pick up, he charges faster than Rock and has the upgraded charge shot, and takes extra damage like Roll.

Protoman may not get access to the Robot Master weapons Rock and Roll have acquired, but he does use their same pool of E/W tanks (though obviously, he shouldn't use a W tank).

When I was playing through this the first time, I don't think I realised I could get game overs and continue (and use this to grind E tanks), so I started with 9 lives, practised every level and saved all my E tanks for this and the upcoming levels. That said, I don't think it's too hard to get good enough at this boss that you shouldn't need them, it takes some time to learn the patterns but once you do it's honestly not that bad. (It's a real marathon of a fight though, and you need to learn new patterns each phase, which makes it easy to trip up.) Good luck!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Our boss here is, iirc, a reference to a Wily stage boss in MM1, where Mega Man had to fight a copy of himself.

Question: Can Protoman's shield reflect Copy Mega Man's charged buster? That seems like it could be really useful if it can.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

azren posted:

Our boss here is, iirc, a reference to a Wily stage boss in MM1, where Mega Man had to fight a copy of himself.

Question: Can Protoman's shield reflect Copy Mega Man's charged buster? That seems like it could be really useful if it can.

Yes it can. It's still tough to time correctly to successfully land a hit and doesn't do any more damage than Protoman's own charged shots, but it's still a thing that can be done.

I still haven't gotten past this point myself. It's a tough boss fight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ahh yes... absolutely brutal boss fight

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

...Oh. Oh no. You're going to miss those E-tanks later. I'm usually okay using one in this fight but I really want to have at least two on hand (one each for Rock and Roll) for the Wily Machine fight (is that even a spoiler?).

I understand the temptation though, the Copy Robot fight is long and while it's definitely learnable, it can get tedious slogging through the phases you know to practise the next one. (That said, as seems to be a trend with this game, Roll is by far the trickiest to beat.)

You're also not screwed. There is a place where you can grind E-tanks coming up, though it's decently well hidden and I don't remember if I actually found it myself. (And I think it's after the Rematch Room.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It's extremely funny to me that the Roll phase of the copy robot is the hardest, while the Rock phase was the easiest.