Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Mega Man Rock & Roll is a 2019 fangame released by Dennis Engelhard on the PC. Inspired loosely by Mega Man 9, the game imagines a new plot from Dr. Wiley in the Mega Man universe and sets the Blue Bomber to stop Wiley's nefarious deeds once again.

The big change added by the mod is the inclusion of Roll, Mega Man's sister as a playable character. Roll has typically been a supporting character across most of Mega Man, she sometimes acts a shopkeeper, but is usually simply there to comment on events and be the housekeeper for Dr. Light's lab. She's seen some extra play in the likes of the Mega Man Battle Network series where she acts as a powerful early summon and as a friend of Mega Man, but ultimately remains a background character there as well. She's also rather infamously seen play in fighting games, being the absolute worst character in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to the point that an entire tier is named after her and dedicated to how terrible she is.

But Engelhard's efforts have given the maligned younger sister a new lease on life as she enters the fray here. Roll is distinct from her brother, Rock, in that she has a double jump, incredibly useful in the precision platforming world of Mega Man, but at the cost of taking a point more of damage from all sources and lacking the ability to charge her buster.

It's a strong contrast, with the siblings being very powerful in very distinct circumstances, Roll is much more likely to get you to a boss, but might well struggle when you get there.

That's not all for changes made, with Engelhard adopting the weapon wheel introduced in Mega Man 11 and finally having half the robot masters be female.

Unsurprisingly, fan reception for the mod has been excellent, with Engelhard himself being taken aback by the response.

What makes it more surprising is that this is Engelhard's first ever game mod, with the original concept for Rock & Roll simply being an attempt to recreate Mega Man's physics.

The creativity on display really speaks to what I think is a bright future for him in game development and it shows as he's taken what he learnt here and is working on his first original game, Nevermore.

I can speak for both Tea and myself when I say that we are incredibly excited to see what this game has in store.

About the LP

This is a blind Co-op LP. Tea and I will play through the game and when possible (aka when Tea is at my house) we will swap controllers with each level and each life so you can see our different approaches to platforming!

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mateo360 posted:

Psst. Zero was GBA and ZX was DS. Nether was on 3DS

Ding ding ding!

I realised this after the upload, so you have won my TOTALLY INTENTIONAL error spotting competition.

Your prize is an extra vote.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Our adventure begins, as always, with some incompetence.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shei-kun posted:

The only criticism I have of this game so far is the double-penalty of increased damage and no charged buster for Roll, but as we haven't seen any of the other weapons and abilities she and her brother will unlock in this games, it may very well be a reasonable balance in the long run.

Super happy to learn this exists and I'm definitely going to follow this with rapt interest.

Also happy to see it's blind and not an edited/deathless run. Falling down pits is proud Mega Man TRADITION.

I will say that if it gets absolutely excessive on any one area you might end up getting a montage of all our deaths rather than watching the same segment 20 times as I get more enthusiastic and Tea goes more insane.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 03 - Ghost Woman

Art will be along shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Fixed that up! Thanks!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Really glad to see new faces find the LP and the channel!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman posted:

Hah, the latest episode is kind of funny if you remember the Megaman 9 LP.

2018 Natural 20: The autofire is cheating!
2022 Natural 20: If the dev is watching this, they should add an autofire

Man gets old.

Shitenshi posted:

Looking at some of these levels, I seriously wonder what Engelhard is thinking comparing this mod's difficulty to MM1 and 4. The latter was my first MM game and I still managed to complete it with no real issue, while the only difficult parts of 1 for me were stuff like the Yellow Devil and the clone Mega Man boss.

It's much, much closer to MM9 if you don't know the boss order.

Same as 11 actually.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 18, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The video freeze frames at 19 minutes in

Looks like you can stealth it all the way and itd just be hard to do so
Is there a reward for it past not having to deal with enemies?

Oof apologies for the freeze.

(on holiday so I can't fix)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 18, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 22, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 29, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Carpator Diei posted:

I've pretty much been waiting the whole LP for you to get here; this might genuinely be the most impressive and memorable Mega Man level I've ever seen. The Fortress stages in general are excellent, both individually and in the new ideas for how the Fortress part of a Mega Man game can work.

I'll get to this comment after the next episode.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

I'll get to this comment after the next episode.

As promised.

This is the single best stage a Mega Man game, official or fangame has produced in my opinion.

The only comparable ones for me are Splash Woman in 9 and Quick Man in 2.

And I don't think they come close. The platforming precision alongside the creativity of the puzzles and the immediate visual appeal of the stage are put simply, not something I've seen a platformer put together so well.

This stage was an absolute joy to play top to bottom and you can hopefully hear how engaged Tea and I are as we play through it. Dying to the boss wasn't even that bad because we just get to play back through this kickass stage again.

Rock n Roll isn't my favourite game of this year, but with this stage alone it is very very close.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

I think some of these criticisms are at least a bit unfair. For one thing, unlocking the Protoman stage means you will not have to fight the extra bosses in that run (you need to save all four allies and unlock their respective locks to make that level available). And also, with a bit of practice the Copy Robot fight is very readable, and not that hard to get through without spending E tanks.

Also, I'm not convinced these are actually tougher versions of the Robot Masters. It all just feels like a pretty standard rematch stage to me (with the added gimmick of having to swap between Rock and Roll each attempt, which I thought was a neat twist).

Eh I can say that Copy Robot is pretty loving stupid since it's essentially three seperate full HP bars of boss with no weakness to exploit.

I've managed to get past only using a single tank but none feels like I'm just running for the right RNG since Roll's attack pattern is completely trivial if she jumps and an absolute nightmare if she doesn't.

This isn't Kaizo though, there's nothing here that's outright trying to make you have a bad time.

Dennis even noted that his thought around the extra robots was that players on their first time will make the effort to find them all, but speedrunners wouldn't and he wanted speedrunners to have a harder challenge in the final stage, so having to care about ammunition usage and the like.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The run through Wily Roll 2 is so loving unbelievable.