Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I just got the game myself last night, and so far after trying all the stages with both characters managed to take down Ghost Woman with Roll and Missile Man with Rock. The latter is probably the easiest stage and boss combination IMO; while I had no problem with Ghost Woman's stage, she gave me quite a bit of trouble.

I'm really enjoying this LP; the back-and-forth banter as you take turns struggling through an 8-bit Mega Man game really takes me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Luninareph posted:

There was a stag beetle in the X games! Gravity Beetle in X3.

Also Boomer Kuwanger from the first MMX game.

And I sympathize with the struggle to make that last jump at the end of this episode. Definitely one of the toughest jumps to make in the game, at least as Rock. Once I figured out that the birds only take one shot to kill and I didn't need to hold a charge for anything, it got a lot easier to make.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

The final ally isn't in Tide Man's stage. He's in Reactor Man's stage. You needed the fire breath to melt some blocks to access the area.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I cannot wait to watch you guys face the boss of this level. :twisted:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just FYI since you were wondering about it, the alternate path you couldn't figure out how to access is gotten to through the underwater section. When you reach the ladder, instead of going up, Rush Jet off the right side of the screen and you'll come to a small room with IIRC a large health and yet another extra life. the ladder from there goes up to the dark area with the two bats, then off to the left where you slide under the gap and proceed normally. Just a small detour for an extra life, and all you miss is the two fire shooters over the water.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

azren posted:

Our boss here is, iirc, a reference to a Wily stage boss in MM1, where Mega Man had to fight a copy of himself.

Question: Can Protoman's shield reflect Copy Mega Man's charged buster? That seems like it could be really useful if it can.

Yes it can. It's still tough to time correctly to successfully land a hit and doesn't do any more damage than Protoman's own charged shots, but it's still a thing that can be done.

I still haven't gotten past this point myself. It's a tough boss fight.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I just be the game for the first time myself; I was stuck on the Protoman stage for a long time, and I also used all my E-tanks to get through the fight. I had no major problems getting through the boss re-fights, and as for the Wily Machine, it took me a few tries to figure out the best way to go about the fight. It's honestly not too bad once you figure out the weaknesses and can get into a good rhythm. I eventually managed to beat it without using any of my E-tanks but I used up all three in the Wily Capsule fight.

Also I hope they figure out the second phase weakness during the next episode. It'll make Yorkshire Tea's day for certain once they figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Good going at the end there, it was very tense. FWIW the Wily machine weaknesses were:

Phase 1: laser. Does good damage to the eyes, and opens the shutters fast, too.
Phase 2: BEETLES! You have to shoot them right under the hatches after he drops his bombs; it's also kind of funny, as the corpses pile up around Wily at the controls and pop out when you win.

I agree it was a great game; I haven't played 9 but know it has a good reputation. This LP was also the first I had heard of this game, so I'm glad you decided to pick it up.