Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shei-kun posted:

The only criticism I have of this game so far is the double-penalty of increased damage and no charged buster for Roll, but as we haven't seen any of the other weapons and abilities she and her brother will unlock in this games, it may very well be a reasonable balance in the long run.

Super happy to learn this exists and I'm definitely going to follow this with rapt interest.

Also happy to see it's blind and not an edited/deathless run. Falling down pits is proud Mega Man TRADITION.

I think the idea is that Roll is so much more mobile that she can avoid more damage than Rock can. The other unstated benefit she has is (I assume, but I think it's pretty clear from the footage) that she has effectively a turbo button for her buster. That's generally not as strong on bosses, but it can be more powerful on normal enemies that don't have invincibility frames. I do wish they'd gone full Bass and let her fire in different angles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

"Maybe use the ghost power when the bees are closer"

"okay sure" *proceeds to shoot a single bee with the mega buster while the other 2 and the boss literally swarm you*

Yeah, I get the feeling that soul trap is the weakness for both bosses just because minions spawned by robot masters are relatively rare, and minions that interact with a weapon even more so. Usually if that's the case, the weapon is the boss's weakness because it either annihilates all of the minions and then hits the boss hard, or uses the minion in some creative advantageous way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I remember that game having a bug. If you typed in too many characters, they would overflow and start filling up the map. For whatever reason, that ended up counting as terrain that your bananas would impact on. It was very silly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

If watching these videos has taught me anything, it is that yes, Roll is just OP and they didn't nerf her enough. Which, when you think about it, is hilarious since in most games with similar trade-offs between characters, the balance wouldn't even include Roll taking more damage.

But what if we made it so that Roll had a bigger double jump, didn't take extra damage, could autofire in most cardinal directions by holding the shoot button, and had a faster dash? And in exchange, her dash wouldn't fit into 1 tile high gaps?

In all seriousness though, I find it interesting that Rock is arguably slightly better in the first 1-2 stages because the charged buster is very powerful when you don't have weapons yet. He needs some sort of edge on actually using the weapons or the ability to charge them for the balance to be remotely even between them.