Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
That was really fun to watch! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Explopyro posted:

Ghost Woman is tough, good luck.

She DOES look tough... and also VERY COOL. I'm very impressed with the way she moves and acts and fights. It's really making good on what I would want to see from a boss called "Ghost Woman."

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Spookyelectric posted:

I believe the robo kitty at the end is a cameo appearance of Tango, from Mega Man 5.

I think it is! I love Tango! :)

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Maybe that's why they showed us Tango! Maybe Roll will have access to Tango instead of Rush! That would make sense: Roll's advantage is mobility, so Rock gets mobility assistance from his dog, and Rock's advantage is offense, so Roll gets offensive assistance from her cat!

If that is the case, I'm going to be personally obligated to play this. That would make me so happy :D

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

There was a stag beetle in the X games! Gravity Beetle in X3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

It's interesting to contrast the weapons from this game with mainline Megaman games, especially recent ones like Megaman 10 and 11. In Megaman 10, the weapons are just too weak--they have awkward angles of attack, most of them take up a lot of ammo, and they don't really seem to do enough damage to be worth switching to. In 11, the weapons are much stronger and have better ammo costs, but a lot of them are so similar that it barely matters which one you pick in most situations.

The weapons here in Rock&Roll are interesting because if you tried to describe them to somebody, a lot of them would sound bland. Fire Breath, Shield Bubble, and Desert Storm all looked underwhelming at first when their weapon demonstration started. However, the execution of them is so good. Some of them are very strong, some of them are very high utility, a lot of them have very obvious use cases, and a lot of them can be used in different situations to give you different options. That's the sign of good weapon design. You want situations that stand out enough that you think, "Oh hey, this weapon would be perfect" without being a blatantly obvious rock-paper-scissors puzzle of "See object X, use weapon Y."

I'm particularly impressed with Shield Bubble so far. It's got the usual Megaman shield aspects, with the protection power dialed up (taking multiple hits) but using it as an offensive tool being made pretty risky (from the look of it), and that added "floating on water" utility is actually getting a lot of use. Floating on water is the kind of utility I love in theory, but usually when you see it, it's used as a one-off gimmick in one particular level and never shows up again. I think you've already used it in two levels, it probably has more uses if you go back to Tide Man's level, and who knows how many places it could pop up in the future. I particularly like how it changes the physics with the whale spouts, that's a really cute detail.

I'm a little hesitant about the way that multiple weapons interact with enemies after the fact (Soul Trap turning them into missiles, Fire Breath making them explode) just because those aspects look awkward to use, but they seem like major coolness points if you pull them off and not a "necessary" feature to master. So you can use them for trick shots if you want to or you can just use them normally and still be okay. I like that design decision. Feels like a good way to handle it.