Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Past couple of weeks have been rough enough that I can't seem to even enjoy my usual gaming hobby, so I have been down for more passive entertainment. Went to look for funny or wholesome recommendations, so even though well praised stuff like Better Call Saul or Mindhunter would be normally in my wheelbarrow, not at the moment, no thanks.

I did find some stuff I really like so I'm sharing here and open to hear about more. Post any fun stuff you've been watching, too.

First is a forgotten ABC satire show from 2009-2010 called Better Off Ted. It's all sorts of brilliant, not only on its insightful (for the time) mocking of big brand corporations, but its cast is surprisingly entertaining, especially the scientist duo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cHUvYwxcUY

Next up is a sitcom pastiche of Friends but with vampires. What We Do in the Shadows by some FX channel I never heard of. It's pretty dumb but keeps me laughing every time. If after the pilot episode you aren't murmuring "creepy paper, creepy paper" you are dead inside, I'm sorry. It's got a thread in TV IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfBbSwX6kEk

My favorite so far has been Ted Lasso. It's a wholesome (really wholesome) show about a rather optimistic guy who sees the best in everyone and who just got trapped into managing a UK Premiere League Football club without knowing a single thing about the sport or its very toxic fanbase. Sort of like, a functional Forrest Gump with a job whom you can't just stop rooting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u7EIiohs6U

P.S: realizing Lasso's wife was the same actress playing Linda in Better Off Ted made me giggle, "guess she found another Ted!"

Finally, a comedy-drama satire about murder mystery podcasts (where the actual mystery are the main protagonists' lives), Only Murders in the Building from Hulu. It's not mindblowing, but it's been rather entertaining so far. Worth watching for Martin Short at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRgyBaTulbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
great thread idea OP. I've been watching an Aussie buddy comedy series on Netflix called Superbro, which was originally called Superwog in Australia. Apparently "wog" means a person who is not white.

It's basically a comedy series in which an Arab Australian gets in fights with his dad, who is played by someone who's basically Superwog's own age for some reason. The show is based on stories from the Superwog youtube channel. It's dumb but funny!

https://youtube.com/c/superwog

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Saoshyant

biosterous

i've been watching Taskmaster again, they've got most of their shows on youtube

this is a british competition show where a bunch of comedians have to do silly tasks. it's fun

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

this may not really count but i really like watching this guys videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt72Yho1nyQ

he feels very byob to me, especially when he does videos responding to comments in the mostly gently comedic sarcastic way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCzGqCJ3jI
in this one the first chapter of the video is even entitled "intro skit"

anyways i really am fond of this internet stranger and his weirdo lust for riparian aquatics and if you are ever stressed and need something soothing his stuff is very much that.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Finger Prince

biosterous posted:

i've been watching Taskmaster again, they've got most of their shows on youtube

this is a british competition show where a bunch of comedians have to do silly tasks. it's fun

Same, except I never saw it the first time, so it's all new to me. It's super fun. I feel like the humour sometimes might not go down well with some folks, since it can be quite unapologetically cutting, but it's still a great laugh.

I haven't watched Obi Wan yet, but I have watched Auralnauts - Larry on YouTube and its great.

Scuba Trooper

abbott elementary is back and season 1 is streaming on multiple platforms i think

alexandriao

Barry is super fun, holy poo poo lmao

Scuba Trooper

alexandriao posted:

Barry is super fun, holy poo poo lmao

oh man i still gotta watch season 3

i feel like the obligatory "funny, wholesome" show is parks and rec, but imo it doesnt start until season 3. hell the season 3 premiere opens with a full recap of seasons 1+2

edit: anything from michael schur is gonna hit the funny/wholesome boxes. the good place, rutherford falls, parks n rec

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 23, 2022

idiotsavant
if you havent watched the original What We Do In The Shadows film its real good

beer pal

survivor

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

nut

I support taskmaster. when I wanna decompress I usually watch some GDQ hotfix speed runs, they have some fun theme shows around co op runs, scary games, and weird categories like hit less dark souls stuff. it’s both mindless and really fun if it’s a weird run

Saoshyant

I have watched two episodes of Barry as per a suggestion here. It's... weird. It's holding my attention so far, but it hasn't completely entranced me yet. I think the biggest problem is that I'm not sold yet on Barry's character.

I'll also have to sit down for some of this Taskmaster stuff y'all keep raving about. Probably tomorrow.

idiotsavant posted:

if you havent watched the original What We Do In The Shadows film its real good

I'm just now getting to the end of the first season and will check the movie right after. Sounds really promising!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

alexandriao

Last night I open palm slammed the entirety of How To with John Wilson after seeing a segment on it on youtube.

It's probably the weirdest show I've seen so far but it's just... extremely good.

The general premise is this guy goes around new york recording things, and later find the weirdest things he's recorded and puts them together into like a video collage. But while he's doing that, each episode has a theme, and he infodumps about this theme and you basically follow him as he explores it. There are some absolutely baffling clips that made me almost crack a rib with laughter, but it also has this very melancholy and contemplative vibe to it that just made it utterly relaxing. I was weirdly both chilled out, and on the edge of my seat to see what happened next.

He does some interviews with people and it is frankly amazing the things that people admit to if you say you're doing a student film about X, or that this will be on HBO. At some point he ends up in a conference for people who plan conferences :prepop:

Each episode is about half an hour in total so there isn't much commitment, and it's just really really good.

Saoshyant

alexandriao posted:

How To with John Wilson (...) it's just... extremely good.

Oh, definitively! I watched it last year and it's indeed amazing. Like a mix of fake documentary, satire piece on reality, and a philosophical lesson de jour all rolled into a strangely chill pack of entertainment. I don't think there's anything like it out there.

teen witch
I’m distraught that Rutherford Falls was cancelled. Brilliant show.

I Think You Should Leave is my current comfort show

Hacks is worth all the accolades and then some

Reservation Dogs is 100 percent worth watching but some parts are a needed emotional gut punch.

Harley Quinn is amazing and if you like Venture Bros, run, do not walk.

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Get fired up for MXC, the world's most toughest competition in town! Today, indiscretion rules as the shameless Desperate Housewives take on the Ultimate Fighting champs. It's the classic battle of headbutts versus nice butts. And now, two guys who are no match for hysterical blindness, Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano! Don't! Get! ELIMINATED!!!!!!

Heather Papps

hello friend

teen witch posted:

i need to catch up - this one came across my youtube algorithm and i watched it twice in a row:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2k-BNySLI

Heather Papps

hello friend

barnold posted:

Get fired up for MXC, the world's most toughest competition in town! Today, indiscretion rules as the shameless Desperate Housewives take on the Ultimate Fighting champs. It's the classic battle of headbutts versus nice butts. And now, two guys who are no match for hysterical blindness, Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano! Don't! Get! ELIMINATED!!!!!!

https://www.dailymotion.com/Therm0ptic

thank goodness for noble internet heroes.

Scuba Trooper

teen witch posted:

I’m distraught that Rutherford Falls was cancelled. Brilliant show.

Hacks is worth all the accolades and then some

Reservation Dogs is 100 percent worth watching but some parts are a needed emotional gut punch.

Harley Quinn is amazing and if you like Venture Bros, run, do not walk.

agree with all of this except i havent watched hacks yet!!!

Saoshyant

I think the Project Jaberwocky episode of Better Off Ted was the funniest one so far! Brilliant satire on how the corporate world prefers rumors, buzzwords and promises than actual things they have in their pipeline.

Portia de Rossi sells the hell out of this

Plus these two idiots will never not make me laugh

Also reaching the end of season 1 WWDITS, orgy episode, Guillermo's room killed me:

"Oh"

Heather Papps

hello friend

i remembered a recent show i really enjoyed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hnTjkEoxjA
three busy debras is very good and funny

e: there is a second season now and i'm extremely jazzed to discover this.

oh yeah maybe i should explain it a bit. three women named debra are very, very busy. it's good.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 29, 2022

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
three busy debras is one of those shows that a lot of people told me was very funny but then i watched it and felt like i was sitting there trying to convince myself i liked it, like someone goes to a modern art museum and tries to convince themself that they really understand a particular piece of abstract art

Heather Papps

hello friend

as someone who has tried to get people to watch tim and eric and superjail i fully understand. it tickles me very specifically - i, i don't even know how to really describe it... magical surrealist comedy done straight? presenting a fully insane world with people just living in it is something i like a lot, but also it is pretty obvious to me why a lot of folk don't like these things.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Andor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOegEuCcfw
The first three episodes are essentially a master class in set design and narrative pull. The Star Wars universe has never felt more realistic, more fleshed-out, and set with such engrossing characters and with such excellent execution. It makes The Mandalorian look cheap.

Totally unexpected and well worth your time.

Scuba Trooper

Heather Papps posted:

as someone who has tried to get people to watch tim and eric and superjail i fully understand. it tickles me very specifically - i, i don't even know how to really describe it... magical surrealist comedy done straight? presenting a fully insane world with people just living in it is something i like a lot, but also it is pretty obvious to me why a lot of folk don't like these things.

superjail rules. i never watched ballmastrz tho

christy karacas did this video and it owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr7pEzgW_7Y

Scuba Trooper

ive heard really good things about joe pera talks with you, op

Scuba Trooper

trple posting because i love television:

if youve got peacock, the aforementioned parks n rec and rutherford falls, but i really enjoyed AP Bio. it starts off a little mean, but everything bites back on the protagonist who always has it coming, and it softens up pretty quickly; especially takes off when the students are given more action. peacocks really good for sitcoms so if you have a frasier craving, boom

on hulu, theres rez dogs (i assume you have hulu since yr watching WWDiTS). if you like star trek, theres the orville (also on disney+ with no ads until they add them), and it's kind of the best star trek show. gonna repeat abbott elementary here again too

community is on netflix, and thats my go-to comfort show. idk if youve watched it but skip season 4 because its some of the worst television ive ever seen in my entire life; season 5 and 6 bounce back. 6 is probably the 2nd best season imo

hbo has all the adult swim stuff mentioned (debras, pera, etc). it also has doom patrol which is the best superhero show thats barely about superheroes (edit it is not wholesome but it is fun)

im sure ill think of more poo poo later but im at work

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 29, 2022

Areola Grande

Scuba Trooper posted:

I've seen every episode and it is maybe the most wholesome thing to ever air on adult swim. 5/5 very chill show

barnold

Heather Papps posted:

i do get a lot of enjoyment out of the more absurdist [as] stuff, i love T&E and Bedtime Stories and all of the Alan Resnick stuff. i think 3BD just fell into an uncanny valley for me between being played straight and being absurdist like you were saying

Areola Grande

Scuba Trooper posted:

I know it's not very byob of me but I've been watching Dahmer on Netflix and the actor who plays Dahmer looks and speaks remarkably similar to Joe Pera. The slow and gentle manner of speech, the wide set bespectacled eyes... It's uncanny

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Yuru camp is extremely comfy. There’s two whole seasons!!

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Saoshyant

Scuba Trooper posted:

I'll find a way to watch this one. My country's version of HBO Max is weird. It's got Hulu/FX stuff like WWDITS, but it's missing half of the cool Adultswim stuff like this or even mainstays like everyone's favorite attorney Harvey Birdman. Heck, it got Metalocalypse only added two months ago! Absurd!

It does have Three Brendas (just watched an episode of it, amusing, but didn't leave me demanding for more) and Doom Patrol (gonna check this one during the weekend).

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Saoshyant

Finished Ted Lasso's first season. It is absurd how this series just manages to stay wholesome consistently throughout the whole thing. It does teach an important lesson we all should take to heart that we need to stay open for new ideas and experiences instead of blocking those sight unseen with reckless judgement. Worth a watch for that alone if nothing else (there's a lot more going for it, though!)

Also finished WWDITS's first season. Final episode was brilliant with a bunch of subplots reaching its course.

Don't try to bring vampires to a funeral. Kudos for trying, though!

Also, these two are such a hosed up couple that is heartwarming to see.

Going to watch the original movie tonight!

I have a bunch of stuff to watch currently, so I'll leave Hacks for a later time. Barry is also working for me now that 1) I realize that the protagonist is really just an emotionally underdeveloped fellow who's being taken advantage of, and 2) that the one taking advantage of, his handler, is such a great swindler that it becomes funny

baka of lathspell

i like legion a lot its p imaginative

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

baka fwocka fwame posted:

i like legion a lot its p imaginative

The first season was really good, I don't think I returned to watch the second tho.

Anyone else gently caress with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency?

Heather Papps

hello friend

rear end-penny posted:

The first season was really good, I don't think I returned to watch the second tho.

the book i liked a lot. is the show good? i have heard it is good but am weirdly antagonistic about consuming broadcast television. also legion is very good, an ex girlfriend with d.i.d. made me watch it because it was her favourite show and i totally understand why.

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

Yeah, Dirk Gently is really good. I only have the vaguest recollection of the book.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I have been watching Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. Its an english show, 6 episodes long, psychological thriller. I finished watching a few days ago and the ending still got me like :pwn:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Sorry op, I guess that suggestion isnt at all fun uhhh

Watch Kath and Kim on Netflix and thank me later :vegemite::hf::australia:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut