Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I finally got around to starting a new world for this in SP. I have my graphics tuned pretty high, I didn't change worldgen height and I haven't done almost anything. When the game first loads, even traveling through already-generated areas, things seem to hitch and freeze horribly and slowly get better until the hitching finally seems to fade out. My rig is pretty solid, so I don't think its hardware related.

Has anyone run into this? I'm assuming its a mod but I'm just fishing on the off chance someone knows what causes "terrible hitching that slowly improves" before I start trying no mods/half splitting mods, etc. I don't have any crazy mods and even deleted almost all of my mods that haven't been updated since 1.19, excepting a few that seem to work fine.

I wonder if it still is just mapgen, tbh.

e: I did turn on dirt instability + cave collapses, could this just be random collapses as I walk around, and thus when I'm relatively local to an area there aren't new cave-ins causing a physics panic?

I have micro stutter that stops the game for a few seconds every now and then. I think it's somehow related to blocks loading, but I sometimes get it even just hanging out in my base. There's a lot of solutions you can try, like lowering view distance and others like frame limit higher or lower or variois V-Sync settings, but nothing has been helping me 100%. I don't think it's related to your rig since one guy wrote he gets it even with 64GB RAM (I have 16).

It's sometimes better and sometimes worse, I haven't found a way to completely fix it.

What you're suggesting is certainly possible but I have no idea if that's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Collapses only happen when a block nearby is changed by the player.

It's probably garbage collection, though it should be much better now that the game is on .net 7.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I have micro stutter that stops the game for a few seconds every now and then. I think it's somehow related to blocks loading, but I sometimes get it even just hanging out in my base. There's a lot of solutions you can try, like lowering view distance and others like frame limit higher or lower or variois V-Sync settings, but nothing has been helping me 100%. I don't think it's related to your rig since one guy wrote he gets it even with 64GB RAM (I have 16).

It's sometimes better and sometimes worse, I haven't found a way to completely fix it.

What you're suggesting is certainly possible but I have no idea if that's a thing.

Thanks for this, I wouldn't have thought that V-Sync and lowering my frames target would smooth that out but now I wonder if the stutter was the game randomly trying to generate way too many frames for some odd reason. (In case anyone is lurking and wants to know: I put target frames from 165 to 90, Vsync from Off to On.)

I still get a stutter now and then, but that feels a lot more like the usual "something loaded/generated" and I only miss a tiny step instead of a 1-5 second freeze, which is infinitely more tolerable.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that it is something to do with ruins generation in new terrain. I would get a 2-3 second pause once in a while exploring, but around my base, things would be fine.

After my last death, I started a homo sapiens game, and haven't had a single freeze in this one. No ruins generating = no freezing? I mean, it could be the trader wagons too. But it's all just supposition.

Side note, homo sapiens turns out to be kinda lonely. :sadwave:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Hello, I'm metasynthetic, head chef here at Ye Olde Cook & Bowls Tavern. After much culinary research, we are proud to present our latest creation, a recipe meant to appeal to our health conscious clientele.

Behold, a salad:

update: fresh for 166.8 years, in a sealed crock, in a 0.32x cellar.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 18, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

Hello, I'm metasynthetic, head chef here at Ye Olde Cook & Bowls Tavern. After much culinary research, we are proud to present our latest creation, a recipe meant to appeal to our health conscious clientele.

Behold, a salad:

update: fresh for 166.8 years, in a sealed crock, in a 0.32x cellar.

Me, stuffing charred cattail root into my mouth until I nearly puke, carrying a bag full of prospecting picks looking just for loving anything useful: “neat.”

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Me, stuffing charred cattail root into my mouth until I nearly puke, carrying a bag full of prospecting picks looking just for loving anything useful: “neat.”

To be very fair we have been playing this game A LOT.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Maybe I missed it in patch notes, but do ore deposits seem significantly smaller in 1.19?

I’ve started several worlds (including an ill fated pre-1world with the ‘animals drop nothing’ bug) and the surface copper deposits suck — some are only 3 or 4 blocks total. I just reached hematite on my latest and it was only 1 block high albeit still wide — never seen that happen in 1.15–1.18.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been playing a grip and all my ore seems a lot flatter, but I’m playing with a mod that alters world gen and uses a higher landform scale. I don’t know if this affects ore gen, but I’ve only seen the 1-2 block height discs that are super wide, excepting one or two small near-surface copper deposits.

Not sure! I never dug frequently enough into pockets before to know if this was strange. It does seem a little weird for the 2-3 veins ive hit though.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Hematite’s always been 1 tile high unless elevation changes at surface suggest undulations.

Conversely, my copper deposits have been much larger than I expect.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm not sure I've ever had a better seed than the one I'm on now. Granted, when I started it I turned on creative to find a spot I liked by flying around, so not exactly "all around spawn" but I didn't do any prospecting before I went back to survival, so I had no idea if I was going to be hiking to find any critical resource. I picked a spot on a massive, sort of stringy lake and stumbled into copper relatively quickly, and then through prospecting found a super solid chance for Hematite really near to my base. I hadn't found tin to make the anvil yet so I could jump to steel, but I thought why not, I'll try a single borehole and see if I can stock up some iron and more or less skip bronze entirely (so long as I can scrape up enough to get that anvil.) I was lucky in that way, my borehole went straight down into a big disc of hematite that I started to mine out and stumbled into a vein of lead too. This was sub like, 200 blocks from home, so definitely a spot I can revisit easily. After I did that I thought well, better go on my tin/bismuth/zinc hunt now, maybe I can shortcut to iron. Without that much struggle at all I started to zero in on a tin deposit that hit ultra high about 500 blocks from home in the same direction. Dug one borehole, found tin. Now I was into iron without almost ever having touched bronze or really even spent a ton of time in copper. I knew I needed limestone and that was a hike - and found some other type of rock that makes lime even though it was a layer deep.

Then I was like, well, I'm actually not a fan of this home spot I picked for various reasons and there's one I like a lot better along the lake 1000 blocks away, but its far away from granite (of which I want a ton for my build) and I'll need a better/closer source for lime. Then within a single day of exploring the closest 'desert' is all limestone and the border edge of where granite 'stops' is only about 500 blocks away on the same shore of the lake, so I can build a quarry.

Compared to some other seeds where I've planned multiple-day trips to get something like limestone this feels like a veritable garden of eden. I have every resource within a half day walk from home, even my new home.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Hell yeah buddy!

We actually had some great luck with our base including a useful translocator about 50 blocks away. It felt like we traveled forever to get to our base location but as you keep playing the map sort of shrinks. I think we ended up like 500 blocks from spawn if that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrTargetPractice posted:

Hell yeah buddy!

We actually had some great luck with our base including a useful translocator about 50 blocks away. It felt like we traveled forever to get to our base location but as you keep playing the map sort of shrinks. I think we ended up like 500 blocks from spawn if that.

I agree that as you play the map definitely "shrinks" - not the least because many times you are literally trailblazing. The second time through you've usually found a path. Not to mention my first time through an area is a lot more circuitous just to explore things and touch clay/peat/whatever so I get the auto-map marker.

That said I'm super lucky still, I might actually finish a build.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I was super excited to repair the static translocator and hopped in when done.

At game start I had made it so that a little more water/oceans would form.

Well, the new translocator map fills in and.... the surface is all water. I dig my way up through the claystone and then ladder up through the depths before drowning, look around... and it's all water. I've traveled several hours in each direction and.... all water.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

Collapses only happen when a block nearby is changed by the player.

It's probably garbage collection, though it should be much better now that the game is on .net 7.

Cave collapses or instability collapses? Pretty sure animals can cause the latter; i've seen sheep start full-on avalanche-sized slides

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wasn't aware that sheep are sufficiently player-like to trigger that. What I mean is that, to my knowledge, the game does not proactively check for unstable terrain. A block being modified triggers it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

If you have soil set to have instability like sand, then players and animals will absolutely trigger landslides just from walking on unsupported blocks. I believe the check is made when an entity first steps on the block, and there is a % chance that the block will react if it's unstable. Once one block goes, though, it tends to trigger it's friends, which can lead to mountainsides losing a lot of dirt cover.