Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've never noticed the wheel spinning clockwise, it's either slightly counter clockwise or just wiggles back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Popete posted:

I've never noticed the wheel spinning clockwise, it's either slightly counter clockwise or just wiggles back and forth.

I thought the same but that was because I'm an idiot who can't tell clockwise from counter-clockwise. The cog wiggles when it's full, depletes in the deep underground or in surface areas with bad vibes (I think surface bad vibes can be a good sign of a nearby translocator or underground ruin, but don't quote me on that) and recovers in any other area.

Ruggan posted:

Do most of you play this single player, or with others? I saw a mention of some Aura Fury server.

I've mostly been playing multiplayer lately. It does have some disadvantages (the big one is that the clock keeps ticking for your stored food while you're logged off, so if you don't play for a few days or weeks most of what you stored will be rotten, though there's workarounds for that), but if your server's populated enough you have a lot of freedom on whether you want to skip some of the grindier bits of the game by sharing or trading resources with other players, or if you just want to hermit away in a far away corner and do everything by yourself, short of the occasional visitor.

I played in the old Aura Fury server for a while and built a nice base, though that server's been pretty deserted lately since everyone's moving to their newly released one, since it was made to showcase 1.17 features and add a few mods and settings. If you search on youtube you can find some guided tours of the crazy poo poo some users have built on the old server, it's a nice community.

Their new server was started just a couple of days ago, it's a great moment to jump in if you want to give multiplayer a shot.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Do most of you play this single player, or with others? I saw a mention of some Aura Fury server.

I play with a small group of friends (2-3 core, up to 5 or 6 every now and again) on a private server.

We're currently in such a temporally stable area that even at 40 below where our buildings are, the gear is only slightly rotating counter clockwise.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I always play this multiplayer, I think the workload works out way better on a server where people can fall into their favorite jobs, farming, hunting, mining, whatever.

Also having mouths to feed makes the early game more exciting. That, and the fact that I always seem to have my servers start in winter so we all start out starving and living off cattails, huddling around a fire.

Fantastic game though, going to have to get a server up and running, I see that expanded foods is out, which is the mod I missed the most in 1.16 so that's good. You haven't lived till you've tried to max out your dumpling game. I'm actually surprised the mods I like updated this quickly this time around.

One thing I do recommend if you play multiplayer is to look up how groups and teams work. It's a bit bare bones, but the land claiming and group chat is nice if you want to have control over building somewhat next to your house or group's village.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I posted a couple of screenshots of my old base at the Survival Game Megathread, but here's a few more.

General view of the base. On the left is the greenhouse. Note that I settled right next to a trader, specifically one who deals in survival goods, which means I'd spend my gears on bronze tools and that saved me tons of time I would have otherwise spent mining and panning. I never really advanced to the iron age, though I'd trade for steel and iron tools with some of my neighbors. My farmland and livestock operation is pretty puny, but it's more than enough to keep me stocked on food and crafting materials.

Zoom in on the main building (and a pic not taken during winter). The fenced area on the bottom right is where I keep my chickens. I wanted to build a proper chicken coop eventually, but :effort:

The bedroom. A bunch of stuff I chiseled plus some finds from my rare cave-dwelling trips.

Opposite view of the base area. The pyramid was made by 'encasing' a conical-shaped hill. The building on the right was made to showcase the various decorative trinkets I chiseled, but i never came around to finishing it. I generally like how both buildings turned out, but they don't really match each other or the rest of the base. For the new server I'll try to keep a more consistent style.

Zoom in on the pyramid. It took... a lot of clay.

The mural. This one's 5x9 blocks in total, I think.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

^^^ Did you make that painting of a windmill yourself or was it automatically generated?

Re: multiplayer, I've been playing this solo just because I tend to play all survival games solo. It's a lot less hard scrabble survival when half the stuff is already built. It might change once I try to progress past copper tools but for now it's more fun for me to do it all myself.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

So I've been playing around a bit and here's what I've got just pre-bronze age. I've located a source of copper and a source of tin, I just need to do the exploratory mining to find the actual deposits. I've got a nice little place to live and a set of kilns/smelters. I just started on a basement storage, as the winds of autumn are upon us. I've got a bit of farmland next to the water, but it'll be a somewhat lean winter of surviving off thin goat stew, I suspect.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those designs are amazing but I can't begin to fathom how long it took to chisel that, dear lord.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

^^^ Did you make that painting of a windmill yourself or was it automatically generated?

Chiseled it myself! It was my first large-ish chiseling project, made with stone (basalt, sandstone, chalk and chert) since at that time the server didn't have the Bricklayer mod yet. Now most of my chiseled stuff uses hardened colored clay, since it has more vivid colors.

Arrath posted:

Those designs are amazing but I can't begin to fathom how long it took to chisel that, dear lord.

At this point the gathering and crafting of materials usually takes me longer than the chiseling itself. I first draw the design in a software for pixel art (anything works, but I use Aseprite and PixelStudio) and then using a grid layout I transfer it to the game, block by block. At 16x16 pixels, each block takes me 2-5 minutes depending on how many colors I'm using. So I just fire up a podcast and chisel away, it's pretty zen.
For something like the designs on the pyramid, it's even less work, since mods like Chisel Tools let you copy, mirror and adjust chiseled blocks, so I chiseled about 15 blocks worth of designs and then just multiplied them all along the building. The copying does eat up raw materials and chisels like a motherfucker, though.

Keep in mind that, both by standards of the game and of the server, this is baby stuff. Most of it is just painting on a flat surface. There absolutely are players who go full sicko mode and manually craft intricate mouldings and reliefs for every corner of their base.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Okay neat, im a copper boy now.
So

How do i even use this prospecting pick axe. It keeps saying i need 2 samples

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Hihohe posted:

Okay neat, im a copper boy now.
So

How do i even use this prospecting pick axe. It keeps saying i need 2 samples

Mine three corners of a 5x5 square. It will then tell you how much of what ores are likely to be in that chunk. Once you've found one that says "high" or "very high" you should begin mining in that chunk.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 21, 2022

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Spanish Matlock posted:

Mine three corners of a 5x5 square.

Huh, does it detect metals downwards? So if it says i got something i gotta dig a shaft down and find it?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Hihohe posted:

Huh, does it detect metals downwards? So if it says i got something i gotta dig a shaft down and find it?

The main mode doesn't really detect metals at all. It just tells you the probability that ore might exist in a given area.

The exra mode tells you if any actually exists within [x] blocks (user defined) of where you break a block. You can (and should) turn that mode on with a command line found on the wiki and then switch between modes with F.

Here's an example:

I'm using a mod that records my prospecting to the map. Probably this one: https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235 It's really good.

Basically you can see that I've taken samples from all around the area until I got a hot tip on some decent ore. Then narrowed it down to an 18% chance (Very high) of copper. I dug down about 40 blocks and started digging around and found a largish vein of rich copper.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 21, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That search mode is a chunk search and it’s the whole vertical column. I think a chunk is 16x16?

Spanish Matlock posted:

Mine three corners of a 5x5 square. It will then tell you how much of what ores are likely to be in that chunk. Once you've found one that says "high" or "very high" you should begin mining in that chunk.

I just wanted to clarify - it doesn’t HAVE to be 3 corners of a square, just 3 samples within 16 blocks of the initial sample and no closer than 3 together. This matters a lot if you’re in big dirt fields and have dirt-gravity turned on, because hoo boy digging can suck.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Also get the ProProspecting mod, which will mark the results of your prospecting on your map. It is invaluable for tracking the chances of a vein appearing if you see an increasing pattern of chance as you move in a direction (and shows exactly where the chunk borders are)

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also get the ProProspecting mod, which will mark the results of your prospecting on your map. It is invaluable for tracking the chances of a vein appearing if you see an increasing pattern of chance as you move in a direction (and shows exactly where the chunk borders are)

I’m talking to you, lurker who thinks like I do: “This mod and the alternate prospecting mode feel like cheating. If the devs wanted you to experience it this way they’d have similar things enabled in the stock experience.”

Don’t fall for this, prospecting is still a hugely painful activity with both the mod and alternate mode. I should maybe qualify the word painful - it’s extremely rewarding when you find a massive pocket of what you want. It just is improved massively with the alternate pro pick mode + that mod.

I caved pretty quickly despite my initial thoughts because it’s insanely hard to find ore you want otherwise.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, even with all the mods in the world it's still a massive endeavor to find any kind of ore. I was positively giddy the first time I found some that was underneath a couple pieces of copper on the surface.

Vintage Story is supposed to be hard but it's not worth making it torture. Mod it til you are having actual fun and then go from there, because otherwise you'll be panning for copper to replace broken picks til the end of time.

And really all ProProspecting does is write down what you're finding "legitimately", it just saves you having to make some extremely tedious notes.

VVV i believe so, I got my names mixed up

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 21, 2022

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

You guys mean ProspectorInfo mod, right? I don’t see one called ProProspecting.

I wish the one-shot prospecting pick mod was updated for 1.17, that seems like a good time saver as well.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Hihohe posted:

Yes, the default mode (long range) tells you what you're likely to find in a chunk, so a slice of the map that's 32 by 32 blocks, and all the way up and down. Again, it doesn't straight up tell you how much copper or iron or whatever there is on that chunk, but rather it gives you the odds of the dice roll that the game made on creation to spawn deposits there or not. So since there's a RNG element, there's a chance that chunks with good odds will have nothing, and chunks with poor odds will have something. It's generally a solid way of showing you where to mine, though, and I've always found something when shafting down in chunks with good results. Another good thing is that ore presence isn't distributed at random on a chunk by chunk basis, but in a kind of heat map fashion, so if a chunk has high chances for iron or copper or whatnot, the adjacent chunks are also likely to have good results for that ore.

I *highly* suggest you get the ProspectorInfo mod, since it'll help you keep track of the chunk results with a map overlay.

After you've found a chunk with good results, you'll want to change your prospector's pick mode to ore search (press F while holding the propick and you should get two modes, if you don't you'll have to change your world's settings) and start shafting down. Pick any spot in that chunk (ideally around the center) and start digging down, using the propick every 6 blocks or so to scan a small area near you for ores. The exact range of the propick's second mode is adjustable (I think 8 blocks is the default, most players prefer 6), but it tells you what's around you with absolute certainty, so when you get a result it means there's a deposit somewhere in a 6 to 8 block distance from you, so you need to play hot and cold to find out exactly in what direction.

e:f,b

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m talking to you, lurker who thinks like I do: “This mod and the alternate prospecting mode feel like cheating. If the devs wanted you to experience it this way they’d have similar things enabled in the stock experience.”

Don’t fall for this, prospecting is still a hugely painful activity with both the mod and alternate mode. I should maybe qualify the word painful - it’s extremely rewarding when you find a massive pocket of what you want. It just is improved massively with the alternate pro pick mode + that mod.

I caved pretty quickly despite my initial thoughts because it’s insanely hard to find ore you want otherwise.

Yeah the thing is even when you have the alternate mode and you know, for example, that ore is within *5* blocks of where you just struck, you still have to look five blocks up down left right forward and back from that point and then all areas that are diagonally adjacent. You can still mine right past a massive deposit and never even see it and then knock out a chunk of wall and find a huge lode.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Prospector Info mod and Node Search world setting are mandatory, if anything gets in the OP bolded and bookended by loud GIFs from 1999 it's that.

Vanilla mining is tediously tracking which chunk you are in with the propick, tediously tracking the historical results in the map or a notepad.

Then if you don't use Node Search, you need to perfectly vertically (or horizontally in high upheaval areas) checkerboard a 32x32 chunk of the map to get the equivalent specificity of a handful of pilot shafts using node search.

Modded with node search turned on is still an immensely exhausting process compared to any other block breaker or even overhead colony sims with similar mechanics. Dwarf Fort has similar ore treatments and you get the benefit of a dozen dwarves on autopilot driving your checkerboard.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah the thing is even when you have the alternate mode and you know, for example, that ore is within *5* blocks of where you just struck, you still have to look five blocks up down left right forward and back from that point and then all areas that are diagonally adjacent. You can still mine right past a massive deposit and never even see it and then knock out a chunk of wall and find a huge lode.

This is why I want a stone oriented blasting powder. Some times I get frustrated at carefully triangulating my way towards a massive deposit but consistently poking around the edges of the drat thing and missing. At which point I'd love to huck a few bombs and be done with it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

Modded with node search turned on is still an immensely exhausting process compared to any other block breaker or even overhead colony sims with similar mechanics. Dwarf Fort has similar ore treatments and you get the benefit of a dozen dwarves on autopilot driving your checkerboard.

Really it's not even the time; minecraft has you making huge mines just to find any kind of decent ore. It's the pick durability that is the issue, because the *only* way to break stone blocks is with metal. If you could do it with flint it would be so much easier, but nah

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I have no idea how prospecting in vanilla SC actually compares to real life prospecting in history but it's something they really ought to change for gameplay reasons. If they made it more of a strategy minigame (or even just something like battleships) it would be a huge improvement.

My attempts to date have just been blundering around with the propick's magic ore detector mode which isn't really that much fun. I'm sure they could think of some lore-friendly way for the PC to detect minerals.

E: just making the comparison between RL smithing which looks like a pain in the arse, and the relatively painless and borderline fun way they've done it in VS

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Prospecting IRL isn't that far off AFAIK. Back in the day you'd find a piece of copper on the surface and then dig down to see if there was more. Or you'd chip off a piece of rock and see if there was any trace of metal in it, then do the same. Other than that it was a lot of either running into a vein in the middle of a different kind of mine or just pure luck.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

zedprime posted:

Prospector Info mod and Node Search world setting are mandatory, if anything gets in the OP bolded and bookended by loud GIFs from 1999 it's that.

Vanilla mining is tediously tracking which chunk you are in with the propick, tediously tracking the historical results in the map or a notepad.

Then if you don't use Node Search, you need to perfectly vertically (or horizontally in high upheaval areas) checkerboard a 32x32 chunk of the map to get the equivalent specificity of a handful of pilot shafts using node search.

Dwarf Fortress ore is also substantially more common. in DF, any given shaft is likely to hit ore at least once. In VS, 9/10 shafts won't hit ore ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CuddleCryptid posted:

Really it's not even the time; minecraft has you making huge mines just to find any kind of decent ore. It's the pick durability that is the issue, because the *only* way to break stone blocks is with metal. If you could do it with flint it would be so much easier, but nah
In Minecraft you can follow a cave down and get to the right depth and nerd tunnel if the cave doesn't have anything in the walls, barring any more caves or drop shafts you run into in your chosen direction.

The combination of geology sim giving hotspots and strata requirements with infrequent caverns mean pilot holes to take advantage of the hot spot. Pilot hole frequency depends on your node search setting. If I could just match depth and nerd tunnel VS is a completely different game even if you keep wet tissue copper picks.

piano chimp posted:

I have no idea how prospecting in vanilla VC actually compares to real life prospecting in history but it's something they really ought to change for gameplay reasons. If they made it more of a strategy minigame (or even just something like battleships) it would be a huge improvement.

My attempts to date have just been blundering around with the propick's magic ore detector mode which isn't really that much fun.I'm sure they could think of some lore-friendly way for the PC to detect minerals.
Its probably verging on too historic counting on multiplayer. Everything you basically need can be found in surface deposits, if you either have a large community running in all directions or you've tweaked some of the surface ore spawn rates. This is the copper, bronze and iron age bootstrap history made.

Otherwise sticking your finger in the wind based on local rock strata and some mineral sampling and drilling 32 pilot shafts is literally how you do it in real life. Node search is already the concession.

I think there's room for vanilla or a mod to expand on node search a bit but I think there's performance issues already if you turn your node search way up to get chunk size vision of ore presence.

I think my wishlist is to make Prospector Info standard, and let node search change distance parameter without game restarts.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I honestly don't have that much of a problem with it because while it does take a bit of work and fiddling, I did manage to find both a better source of copper and a source of tin on the back of a single surface deposit worth of copper (about 140 units or 7 tools). Took me about two copper pro picks and six regular ones and that includes digging out most of my basement/smithy back at my base.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 22, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The way deposits are generated is another issue. In RL (or Dwarf Fortress) veins snake through the rock, making it much more likely to hit one. In VS, veins are far too round and dense.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

The way deposits are generated is another issue. In RL (or Dwarf Fortress) veins snake through the rock, making it much more likely to hit one. In VS, veins are far too round and dense.

I'd rather keep them as deposits vs veins, honestly. Makes it easier to get the majority of it without mining too many extra stone blocks around the edges and diagonals to make sure you're not missing offshoots.

Really my biggest complaint is filling my bags with piles of stone chips in short order. Just makes it a drag to have to toss stacks of them to make more room for nuggets, or missing crystals cause you're full.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Something else that should probably be in the OP tips and tricks section, is that finding tin can be HARD in this game. When you're angling toward making your first bronze tools it is often much easier to make bismuth bronze out of more readily available zinc and bismuth, than tin bronze when the most cassiterite you've ever prospected is a "decent" 0.02‰ density.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Arrath posted:

Really my biggest complaint is filling my bags with piles of stone chips in short order. Just makes it a drag to have to toss stacks of them to make more room for nuggets, or missing crystals cause you're full.

Throwing them away? Heh. Shows what you know. The true pro technique is to craft all that stone into stone fences, to reduce their inventory space sixfold. Then you wait about 4-5 hours of playtime to realize you'll never need that many stone fences, and THEN you throw them away.
(You can use fences, or cobblestone if you carry a stack of clay around, to block off the mini shafts that give you no propick results. God knows I need those in order not to completely lose my way when playing hot and cold)

MrGreenShirt posted:

Something else that should probably be in the OP tips and tricks section, is that finding tin can be HARD in this game. When you're angling toward making your first bronze tools it is often much easier to make bismuth bronze out of more readily available zinc and bismuth, than tin bronze when the most cassiterite you've ever prospected is a "decent" 0.02‰ density.

If you manage to pan 2 nuggets of silver and 2 of gold, that's enough for an ingot of black bronze, which is the most durable bronze alloy.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I saw a recipe to turn the cobblestone fences back into stones, using the pickaxe though so you’re trading durability. So it’s feasible now to use it as temporary compression.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Wanted to share my first house (other than my initial 4x4 mudhut). I took extra care to make sure it fit the requirements as being "inside" for extra warmth, figuring I didn't need much more than that anyway. The interior is fairly spartan but just pleasant enough that I don't hate spending time in it!

The location is fantastic, even though I have to fight through a forest and the giant ice-capped plateau isn't exactly useful.

The porch and balcony are still missing, I will probably do that once I'm in the doldrums of winter. I'll extend the roof out a bit to cover it.

From the front door. You can see the backdoor and just barely the stairs down to the cellar.

From the adjacent corner, showing off more hanging crap, stairs up to the loft tucked into the left there. It's pretty utilitarian inside still, mostly just storages.

In the loft, from the balcony door. Bed and more storage. It's only very slightly open to the floor below.

More of my homestead. Did you know that slabs on the top half of water won't interrupt the water block from irrigating your fields? Make your fields pretty with paths!

My forge/pit kiln/workshop area. I'm not super happy with this, it was whipped up quickly but its functional enough.

Standing on the edge of one of my pit kilns, you can see all my various workspace stuff. It's tight, I wish I had left more room.. In the future I'll probably tidy up things like the pitkilns (which take a whole rear end 3x3 with the stairs to make them nice) with a little chiseling so they don't look so damned huge.

This will last me at least the first winter until I start getting into real big resources and/or find a new spot I really like to build at. I just couldn't resist the waterfall pond.

e: almost forgot, my cellar!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
When do people choose a home spot? I haven't found a cog to reset my respawn point so I've just been staying within easy walking distance of my world gen spawn point (I found an old church ruin to live out of for now) but at some point I need to find a better spot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wanted to share my first house (other than my initial 4x4 mudhut). I took extra care to make sure it fit the requirements as being "inside" for extra warmth, figuring I didn't need much more than that anyway. The interior is fairly spartan but just pleasant enough that I don't hate spending time in it!

That's gorgeous! Holy poo poo. I've got to give this game a proper go.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

VegasGoat posted:

I saw a recipe to turn the cobblestone fences back into stones, using the pickaxe though so you’re trading durability. So it’s feasible now to use it as temporary compression.

If I'm out of uses for stone fence at the homestead (and I tend to encircle my area with a 2 high fence), and I'm not using them for decor purposes (they make nice thin stone pillars if no other blocks next to them), they make great, "seal up this tunnel quickly, demons are coming" blocks.

If you're doing a lot of mining, can't go wrong making a few mining bags. 10 slots ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Popete posted:

When do people choose a home spot? I haven't found a cog to reset my respawn point so I've just been staying within easy walking distance of my world gen spawn point (I found an old church ruin to live out of for now) but at some point I need to find a better spot.

I changed it up and ran to a much warmer zone from spawn, so I didn't settle until... early August? The warmer the area, the longer the growing season. But, in that exploration not hard at all to come up with a stack or two of terra preta, which helps things grow faster anyway.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sharing current in progress homestead:

Almost what I started with, the mud hut is partly hiding the trader cart.

My first real build was the pit kiln and blacksmith area

Current state, unfinished:

I need to finish up plaster of the windmill/mechanical power area as well as the building in the foreground, which is the kitchen/cellar/showroom. I'm starting a smaller house in the background as my individual place, a friend wants to build out a wooden walkway and have a on-lake house. It's just hit October, nighttime temps in the high teens still, but just at the edge of being able to plant rye and turnips as it gets to 27C in the day.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

More of my homestead. Did you know that slabs on the top half of water won't interrupt the water block from irrigating your fields? Make your fields pretty with paths!

I didn't know this after probably playing over 50 hours of VS. Good tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HelloSailorSign posted:

I changed it up and ran to a much warmer zone from spawn, so I didn't settle until... early August? The warmer the area, the longer the growing season. But, in that exploration not hard at all to come up with a stack or two of terra preta, which helps things grow faster anyway.

Any tips for spotting terra preta? I've got about 40 hours played and haven't found any yet.