Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'm not sure I understand what that change implies, what are "loose stones" in this context?

The lil rocks on the ground you can pick up with a right click. Link fallen branches but for rock.

Previously, like mine craft, drifters could only spawn on a block with two blocks vertical of open space above. The stones counted as blocking the air despite them not blocking pathing or walking at all.

So kinda like building your floor out of half slabs in minecraft, a common temporal storm survival cheese was to build a little box and pave the interior floor with loose stones to block off any spawns in your safe cubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, yeah, I usually have temporal storms turned off. But I thought light level is supposed to keep drifters away (granted, not always seems to work properly) so a lantern in your cellar would suffice?

Also building fences higher than one block looks stupid as it is, and if we're supposed to build three high now to keep lambs in, I'll just not bother. Or just dig a hole, which looks equally dumb.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

TeaJay posted:

Okay, yeah, I usually have temporal storms turned off. But I thought light level is supposed to keep drifters away (granted, not always seems to work properly) so a lantern in your cellar would suffice?

Also building fences higher than one block looks stupid as it is, and if we're supposed to build three high now to keep lambs in, I'll just not bother. Or just dig a hole, which looks equally dumb.

I keep my livestock indoors

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Stone fence with a wood fence on top looks nice to me.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I thought fences were fixed so animals couldn't climb them anymore.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

HelloSailorSign posted:

Use fewer mods. :colbert:

This is the way. I did a big culling and I'm back in my old save with no issues. So many of the mods I had were small/situational, but unnecessary.

How do y'all pick your 'main' homesteads? I like to walk for a few ingame days until I find a vista that makes me go 'wow'. I then live in a mud hut until my proper cabin is shingled and windowed. Unfortunately, by the time I'm settled in, I've already found three other 'wow' spots and I contemplate moving.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

This is the way. I did a big culling and I'm back in my old save with no issues. So many of the mods I had were small/situational, but unnecessary.

How do y'all pick your 'main' homesteads? I like to walk for a few ingame days until I find a vista that makes me go 'wow'. I then live in a mud hut until my proper cabin is shingled and windowed. Unfortunately, by the time I'm settled in, I've already found three other 'wow' spots and I contemplate moving.

Is there any other way to play?

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I guess I just described 'playing the game', but I've never tried building into a cliffside, or rebuilding a ruin into something nice, or stayed in one place long enough to get a windmill up. I got them wanderin' feet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

Yeah I guess I just described 'playing the game', but I've never tried building into a cliffside, or rebuilding a ruin into something nice, or stayed in one place long enough to get a windmill up. I got them wanderin' feet.

I've done a little bit of 'vertical' building because I always love trying to do something interesting with it, but ultimately yeah. It feels great to just abandon an old base and have your resources still for the new project. It's almost like a built in new game plus.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
tbh windmills arent particularly hard to put together and you can always drag an anvil around with your other stuff. I think it's when you have your animal herd fully populated and up and running that you don't really want to move because restarting that process is a pita

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'd actually love a steppe nomads themed mod that lets you migrate with your livestock

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Power Walrus posted:

I kind of asked the same thing a couple of pages back but yeah. It's always going to be the case that once you settle down and explore the area around you you're always going to find a 'better' place to build. I tended to start in a regular climate, build up to a certain point and then start to make my way south to a warmer climate. But as someone else has pointed out, once you start up things like animal husbandry it's a lot harder to just pack up and go. If I know I'm not going to stay somewhere permanently I usually get to the point where I've at least got copper tools and some expanded storage before grabbing all the important poo poo and moving on.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Although Palworld has kept me busy, I'm pretty much still holding out for Expanded foods to get the update for 1.19. Last I read the developer was still active and working on it, so hopefully it won't be long now.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

TeaJay posted:

Fences work fine for me in v1.19. Just one block high holds animals in, no problem. Both stone and wood fences. You just have to be careful not to put anything else that's one block high right next to it like dirt or hay because they'll climb over it like a ramp.

But yeah I regret my choice of a terraced homestead, because I ended up building my animal enclosure next to my farm in a bit of dead ground. So now I either level basically the entire mountain down, build the animal enclosure up and have it weirdly over hang my farm, or just move my enclosure one step up entirely and repurpose the old spot for building.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 28, 2024

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Power Walrus posted:

I used the same seed as before I nerfed monsters as a newbie, and had found a spot that had fire clay not realizing it wasn't the most important thing to have easy access to, and now have to wait until spring or early summer before I can start looking for a new spot. I'll be more picky for my second homestead.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Expanded Food/Culinary Artillery is finally updated for 1.19, apparently.

I'll wait a few more days to see if Geology Additions gets updated as well before I crack and start a 1.19 game without it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yep, I'm eager to start messing around with a friend this weekend. Already laid some plans out for a house, can't wait to finallu utilize expanded foods in multiplayer.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Expanded Food/Culinary Artillery is finally updated for 1.19, apparently.

I'll wait a few more days to see if Geology Additions gets updated as well before I crack and start a 1.19 game without it.

I'm still seeing Expanded foods at 1.18.15 on the modDB. Did you see a newer version someplace elseir just hear about it?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Culinary artillery it's the one that's important, EF will get updated later but for now everything seems to work just fine as CA was updated.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, so far EF/ACA are running fine together though mod maker did say there’s the possibility of weirdness but that what they’ve tested, and what others have reported, is that things are fine.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Friend and I are getting a huge influx of drifters. Last night there were maybe 20+ in our yard. Granted, we don't have lanterns yet on the outside of houses on this game, but are there settings I could tweak to make them spawn less on the above ground? We are playing on single player host join.

e: I found some info on editing drifter.json file and the surface drifter spawn light level there, which was 7 by default. I lowered it to 1 which I assume means they should spawn only when it's REALLY dark outside now? Or like, not at all?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 4, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I love this game and was ready to jump back in but man, I think it might the worst crux of “these mods feel necessary once you use them” and “solo developer who takes an (understandably) long time to update.” I thought I was just waiting for expanded foods but as I went back through my old mods and started to update things, I found several that I don’t want to start without that are still in the update process and from comments have broken poo poo in 1.19.

I get it, I’m not gonna put those dudes on blast because it’s all free stuff they’ve just made on their own, but dangit. I wanna play with all my bells and whistles!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a video guide or two on basic building tips, like how to build a roof or a house layout? Some videos have great designs but it's like "build your house *poof* it's done" and skip a lot. I mean, I'd like to get more ideas on how to actually design an efficient roof or a house and would watch a video that would go very slowly through the basics, not immediately a tutorial on how to build a cathedral.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

The building is sinilar enough that yoy could look into some minecraft building videos. There's certainly a lot more of those to choose from at least. They obviously aren't going to cover roofs and 'sealing' rooms to make warm areas and cellars though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sealing a room is relatively simple, just have an internal ceiling that’s basically a flat surface. There are ways to get fancier but that’s the simple reliable method.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

Now that I am actually giving Expanded Foods a try, I'm kind of 'meh' about it. Seems like just a lot of busywork added in. It's nice to have a saucepan, I guess. But I don't see the point of all the random recipes that all just do the same type of nutrition.

On the other hand, Geology Additions is really neat. I just found some pyrite near my base, which is a crazy ore that can be turned into iron blooms but, get this, can be dug up with copper picks. Madness! (Pretty sure you still need the bronze anvil, though, so you're not skipping a technology stage or anything.) But all the different ores are neat. And they make a lot more colors of cobblestone to work with. Well, more browns and grays at least.

Yes, I am aware that I am all 'ooh ahh' about different kinds of rocks and 'meh' about different kinds of food.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Now that I am actually giving Expanded Foods a try, I'm kind of 'meh' about it. Seems like just a lot of busywork added in. It's nice to have a saucepan, I guess. But I don't see the point of all the random recipes that all just do the same type of nutrition.

We started using it recently, and I haven't made most of the recipes, but I love the wine changes. You can make bottles out of clay or glass, and store your wine in wine racks. It also lets you add wine to meat or vegetable stew. So wine becomes a great option for fruit preservation, and looks great in your cellar.

You can also turn bread into bread crumbs to add to stews or feed to chickens.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

That sounds promising, I always have a million berries going bad, would be nice to use them for something other than compost.

This game ended by cave-in, death, though. Well, technically, I accidentally dug through the bottom of my prospecting shaft into a cavern (man I swear I was on the ladder), fell far enough to get slightly hurt, then I started getting mauled by locusts or something in the dark. I quickly walled myself in with packed dirt that I carry for emergencies/making support beams (to prevent cave-ins), and while digging a stairway up and out in another direction, a cave-in just rolled down the stairway and finished me off. RIP my three iron ingots made from pyrite.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the cave-ins option. Being able to hold up stone with packed dirt seems kinda weird, too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The ability to bread, oil and bake an onion alone makes Culinary artillery worth it. The deep fried items are very nutritious too considering how much ingredients you can use on them.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Bread Enthusiast posted:

That sounds promising, I always have a million berries going bad, would be nice to use them for something other than compost.

Also, you can use a mixing bowl to mix berries with bread dough to make berry bread. Extra filling, and I think it even increases the shelf life.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm playing on a private server with some friends, and I'm the primary cook / farmer for a group of 4 people. Using a combination of Expanded Foods and XSkills, you can really stretch out your food supply. There's a lot of ways to process your food, but here's my general recommendations:

Meat: Make meatballs, toss them into salads (preferable), or meat stews with wine + bread crumbs. Each step in the meatball production process resets the spoilage timer, so you can make meat last a long time this way if you process it one step at a time.
Veg: Salads. Salads themselves have a pretty long shelf life even after 'cooking', regardless of their ingredients, so tossing your cooked meatballs in salads is a great move. Salads are also the easiest food I've found for generating balanced nutrition. 2x veg portions, 1 meatball, 1 flax / sunflower grain (boosts nutrition more than you might think), 1 fresh / dried (not candied) berry, 1 wildcard slot (dairy if you got it) and you're hitting all your nutrient bars at once.
Fruit: Syrupy fruit bread. Also has a really long shelf life. Take some high quality dough, mix in 5 candied berries, cook it then coat in syrup. Making candied berries increases your overall nutrient yield by +~20% compared to the inputs (this includes the dried berries you get in the process), and that's before the boost from actually including it in a cooked meal. Syrup itself is used for tons of stuff, notably meatballs, and wine is great to have too.
Grain: Mostly also fruit bread. Make your dough with wild yeast starter + some kind of broth (or milk) for your fruit bread. Bread crumbs are great for stews / meatballs too, but for that you should just use plain flour + water as the breadcrumbs don't retain nutrition from the bread its make from. Again, adding raw flax / sunflower grain to salads boosts the nutrition pretty significantly as well.
Dairy: We don't have access to much dairy yet so I can't say much here. I'm testing soy milk right now, but the yield of actual dairy nutrition vs the farming time and space investment may not be worth it. Not sure yet.

Broths are a good, if lossy, way to preserve some meat and veg calories long term if you don't have easy access to salt. They're a little difficult to actually use since they have low calorie density vs the volume used in recipes. Also, the bone broth > gelatin pipeline is tedious, but it can turn a lot of bones into edible food, and raw gelatin can be switched between protein / fruit / vegetable nutrition based on what you mix it with and your needs at the time.

The XSkills stuff is mostly self explanatory in the mod itself, but worth noting is the Dilution skill, which increases the yield of cooked servings by a percentage. What isn't obvious is that some intermediate steps in Extended Cooking proc this - so when I'm making fruit bread (for example) mixing the raw dough increases yield, then mixing in berries with the dough does, then actually baking the fruit dough does, etc. etc. You can get compound interest on your food if you're using that mod.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 12, 2024

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

metasynthetic posted:

Broths are a good, if lossy, way to preserve some meat and veg calories long term if you don't have easy access to salt. They're a little difficult to actually use since they have low calorie density vs the volume used in recipes. Also, the bone broth > gelatin pipeline is tedious, but it can turn a lot of bones into edible food, and raw gelatin can be switched between protein / fruit / vegetable nutrition based on what you mix it with and your needs at the time.

I tried making bone broth since we had a lot of bones, but I had some trouble with it. Somehow, some of my broth ended up being treated like a normal liquid and it's stored in a bucket, but the rest of it is an item in my inventory. I ended up sticking it in a storage vessel in my cellar but it is weird and annoying because I can't figure out how to get it back into a bucket or something. I tried putting both the liquid and the item versions together in a barrel, but it kept treating them as separate things.

Have you had that happen or have any idea how to fix that?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've heard you stick them into a saucepan when it becomes inventory broth.

+1 to any berry gets juiced and the mush turned to dried berries.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Genovera posted:

I tried making bone broth since we had a lot of bones, but I had some trouble with it. Somehow, some of my broth ended up being treated like a normal liquid and it's stored in a bucket, but the rest of it is an item in my inventory. I ended up sticking it in a storage vessel in my cellar but it is weird and annoying because I can't figure out how to get it back into a bucket or something. I tried putting both the liquid and the item versions together in a barrel, but it kept treating them as separate things.

Have you had that happen or have any idea how to fix that?

I've had this problem too, but inconsistently, and haven't been able to pin down a root cause beyond 'the mod is sometimes buggy.' If it happens, I just cheat in the correct amount already in a bucket, which isn't a great solution I know.

Similarly, sometimes the mod doesn't want to accept meatballs (and maybe other things) in recipes occasionally. I haven't figured out why that happens, but in that case, restarting the game seems to make things work again. Of course, for bone broth you can't tell it's going to bug out until it's already happened, but you could try doing your processing shortly after a restart to see if it helps.

edit:

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've heard you stick them into a saucepan when it becomes inventory broth.

+1 to any berry gets juiced and the mush turned to dried berries.

Ooh, I'll try that too, thanks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

You can take the berry mush that's made from the fruit press and stick it in your inventory slot to recover... 1 berry per mush that dries on its own into a dried berry?

It makes the scenario of making candied fruits and syrups for use in various things far easier, and in fruit breads I'm frequently using dried berries only and coating with a syrup.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Dried berries are more versatile than candied berries, which seem to be limited to fruit bread and other dessert-y things, whereas the dried berries you can toss into basically any meal that accepts generic fruit, like stews and salads. Candy berries keep forever though, and syrupy fruit bread made with 5x candy berries gives something like 1400 saturation (and with XSkills, also gives like -40% hunger for 10 minutes after eating) so they make for good travel rations.

There's still a lot of recipes I need to try, mostly stuff that requires dairy, and things based on eggs / rice, all of which we have now but I haven't had time to experiment with between working on other ingame projects.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Bread Enthusiast posted:

Is there a reason you don't make jam and jelly from them? I thought that was the standard fruit preservation go-to but I guess it's not great if you're sourcing honey for another recipe or purpose.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I have never found honey in-game. (I usually start in 'cold' so that might be part of it.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bread Enthusiast posted:

I have never found honey in-game. (I usually start in 'cold' so that might be part of it.)

I've had to use the Buzzwords mod to find Bees because I could never hear them. Then when you do have it on you realise Bees seem to be pretty much everywhere there's a cluster of trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I finally got around to starting a new world for this in SP. I have my graphics tuned pretty high, I didn't change worldgen height and I haven't done almost anything. When the game first loads, even traveling through already-generated areas, things seem to hitch and freeze horribly and slowly get better until the hitching finally seems to fade out. My rig is pretty solid, so I don't think its hardware related.

Has anyone run into this? I'm assuming its a mod but I'm just fishing on the off chance someone knows what causes "terrible hitching that slowly improves" before I start trying no mods/half splitting mods, etc. I don't have any crazy mods and even deleted almost all of my mods that haven't been updated since 1.19, excepting a few that seem to work fine.

I wonder if it still is just mapgen, tbh.

e: I did turn on dirt instability + cave collapses, could this just be random collapses as I walk around, and thus when I'm relatively local to an area there aren't new cave-ins causing a physics panic?

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 16, 2024