Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I found some bronze (well, I was lucky enough to literally stumble into zinc and bismuth.) It's relatively a decent amount of bronze, but I'm getting "I Might Need It Later" syndrome.

Is there much reason to save more than one bronze pickaxe for tough rock and just start using the rest for whatever tool I need? What are "Bronze Only" necessities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

LLSix posted:

Any tips for spotting terra preta? I've got about 40 hours played and haven't found any yet.

It's a very, very dark brown, almost near black, block, but from the top when grass covered it's no different. You'll need to be looking at the sides of lakes/ponds, small hills, that sort of thing, while being in an area where it can form. I think it needs at least common rainfall for it to spawn in the local area.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What are "Bronze Only" necessities?

You need a bronze anvil in order to work iron. If you want a mining bag (10 slots for a single bag, but only rock/ore/mining tools), it needs bronze plates.

I try to have 3 bronze picks as backup if I'm on limited bronze amounts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you can swing 900 units, a bronze anvil is the hardest (hehe) requirement to be able to create iron tools if you keep your bronze pick in your pocket till you find some of the iron ores. Plus or minus your luck in fireclay but I've found a few deposits before I ever came close to bronze.

Otherwise the criteria is just "I wish this broke less often."

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

LLSix posted:

Any tips for spotting terra preta? I've got about 40 hours played and haven't found any yet.

Just do what I do, and "cheat"!

https://mods.vintagestory.at/vtp

Terra preta is hard enough to find as it is, so I really don't feel bad about using a mod to make it pop out more.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Luckily I have just north of enough zinc to get me 1800 units of bronze, so nice!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sharing current in progress homestead:

I need to finish up plaster of the windmill/mechanical power area as well as the building in the foreground, which is the kitchen/cellar/showroom. I'm starting a smaller house in the background as my individual place, a friend wants to build out a wooden walkway and have a on-lake house. It's just hit October, nighttime temps in the high teens still, but just at the edge of being able to plant rye and turnips as it gets to 27C in the day.

I like it! nice location. It feels quite real.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Popete posted:

When do people choose a home spot? I haven't found a cog to reset my respawn point so I've just been staying within easy walking distance of my world gen spawn point (I found an old church ruin to live out of for now) but at some point I need to find a better spot.

Honestly I'd just cheat one in to set your spawn point, that's just pointless horseshit.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

Honestly I'd just cheat one in to set your spawn point, that's just pointless horseshit.

They really aught to give you one free.

Related to the bronze question - What are other "Don't fuckin' miss this" for other resources? The mention of fireclay made me glad I found some close to my spawn before I knew I needed it (this is turning into a really good seed, I guess.)

Bronze Anvil, Bronze Pick, Fireclay for bricks... Any other "just a little to unlock a lot" items?

e: To partially answer my own question for newer players: A limited amount of animal fat goes a *long* way to food preservation and other critical items. In my cellar, grains in a clay vessel last like 5 years, veggies like 120 days or something like that. I wouldn't say it's quite the same thing as "Once you get 5 animal fat you unlock all these things" but you do want to probably commit your first few to something like food storage.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 22, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lime (bought from traders, or ground from limestone, chalk, or marble) for leather making for leather bags, the best in the game.

Pelts, made by applying fat to hides, for the highest warmth clothing items in the game.

Oak logs, for the making of tannin (so oak seeds for sustainable amounts).

Tin (about 100 units worth) and an equal amount of lead or silver, to make solder, to make a distillery.

Cattails and blue clay, to make a skep (and more skeps) for beekeeping.

Resin. All the resin.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Don't forget the machinery! You need plenty of flax to craft windmill sails, and you'll need a chisel, hammer, several logs, resin and animal fat in order to craft the rotor, axles and angled gears. You'll want to place the sails (mounter on a rotor) as high up as possible, and then place axles in an upside-down L shape (the angled gear connects horizontal and vertical axles) going down to the machine you want to power. There's currently 3 - quern (which can also be powered by hand, but it's a bitch), helve hammer and pulverizer. The quern's likely your best option early on, since the pulverizer's only required for more advanced recipes and the helve hammer isn't used for much more than hammering plates quickly (and isn't too great even at that, though you can make it more useful with mods). The quern is used to grind stuff, the most useful of which is grains into flour, and also stuff like bones into fertilizer and a bunch of stuff that's mostly used to craft dyes, glass and other decorative blocks.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Popete posted:

When do people choose a home spot? I haven't found a cog to reset my respawn point so I've just been staying within easy walking distance of my world gen spawn point (I found an old church ruin to live out of for now) but at some point I need to find a better spot.

I switch into creative and give myself one, then I switch back.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
As far as legitimately getting a temporal gear, most mornings I find around 3-4 drifters just wandering around outside my house. Two or three spear hits take them down. It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to get one out of them. They also provide a small trickle of flax fibers which can be used to make improved bandages, which makes the whole process a lot less painful. You can basically run right through a drifter to get your spear back without taking a hit, you just have to watch your back so they don't get you from both sides.

Edit: Thrown spear hits that is, throwing spears are basically your best combat choice for a long time, because they let you deal a significant amount of damage without putting you in melee range.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I finally got enough gears to buy a temporal one and the merchant took them out of their shop :negative:

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007
Are the trees other than pine or oak used for anything special? Or just firewood to be turned into charcoal?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Different trees create different colored wood blocks. Mostly. Chests, signs, and troughs aren't impacted, but fences, slabs, and plank blocks all change color based on the wood used.

I think oak for tannin is the only special crafting use.

Resin only grows on pine trees created during world-gen, player planted trees never generate resin :(

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

DiscretionOverValor posted:

Are the trees other than pine or oak used for anything special? Or just firewood to be turned into charcoal?

I think ebony makes the highest containing crates and acacia can also be used for tannin, but otherwise just cosmetic as mentioned.

And walnut tree seeds can be eaten for small amounts of protein satiety.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I've got a populated bee skep that's harvest ready. It has a bunch of empty skeps around it, 3 tiles horizontal and 1 vertical away. What do I need to do to get it to swarm and fill the empties? Just keep waiting? It doesn't have any 'will swarm in X days' message like the wild hive did.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sokani posted:

I've got a populated bee skep that's harvest ready. It has a bunch of empty skeps around it, 3 tiles horizontal and 1 vertical away. What do I need to do to get it to swarm and fill the empties? Just keep waiting? It doesn't have any 'will swarm in X days' message like the wild hive did.

Yeah, just wait. Make sure all hives have a 2 block radius of flowers around them (they can overlap their flowers) to ensure sufficient flower coverage. With insufficient flowers, they won't keep spawning/being harvestable as more skeps have bees.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe a dumb question, but how the heck do I force path/road slabs to the "top" of a block? They seem to only place on the bottom half of the block, which is annoying. I'd like my roads to be flush with the ground.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Related to the bronze question - What are other "Don't fuckin' miss this" for other resources? The mention of fireclay made me glad I found some close to my spawn before I knew I needed it (this is turning into a really good seed, I guess.)

Bronze Anvil, Bronze Pick, Fireclay for bricks... Any other "just a little to unlock a lot" items?

One of the first things you should craft on your first anvil is a saw blade. Saws make planks, planks make chests and crates, chests and crates solve all your inventory problems forever.

LLSix posted:

Resin only grows on pine trees created during world-gen, player planted trees never generate resin :(

Pine AND acacia, if you're in warmer climates.

Radiation Cow posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but how the heck do I force path/road slabs to the "top" of a block? They seem to only place on the bottom half of the block, which is annoying. I'd like my roads to be flush with the ground.

Make it out of something else, like gravel or sand. path blocks are always 9/10ths of a block in height.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
There are a couple of mods that let you make alternate roads. I don't know if they're up to date or not.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

You can make a sign with a plank and a stick.

You can put a sign on a chest by combining them in the crafting grid.

You can write on a sign with most kinds of dye (search for pigment in the handbook), I usually use charcoal until I can find something brighter like cinnabar.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Have I mentioned how much I hate prospecting? I'm about ready to just strip mine this .5% hematite chunk because I can't find anything more.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm a bit late to prospecting chat, but there are a lot of things you can do to reduce the size and scope of your pilot shafts. I've always just gone with the old prospecting method, but this should also make using node search easier too.

Check the wiki, and know what you're looking for and what the deposit size and shape is. Deposits come in two types, veins and deposits, deposits are disk like, with a scattering around the edges on the larger deposits. Specific minerals only show up in specific rock types. When you dig a pilot shaft, keep this in mind. If you are searching for a ore that's in sedimentary, and you dig down and you don't find that rock any more, you can stop digging. Ores also have a min and max height they spawn in as a percent of sea level. Dig to the top of where they can possibly spawn, then to the bottom and then ladder out. With a lot of ores like copper you can just go to where you've got very high or higher readings and dig a pilot shaft every 10 or 12 or so. You'll hit something in pretty short order that way.

Some ores have special cases. Tin, for example, has a chance to show up as a massive deposit that doesn't show up as an increase in the ‰ showing up. These are always deep, which makes caving valuable.

Iron also shows up in huge deposits that caves are likely to intersect with. When caving I like to use a pro pick to occasionally see if there's any good ores that'd show up, and I tend to focus on exploring those caves. Caves that have low ore in the area I tend to ignore as the most I'll find is ruins in them.

Mods that log your pick results are good, but you don't have to be super methodical. I usually just run in one direction and make notes as a marker when I find any high or better findings.

For general advice: Ranged combat is good. Get a friend to take the Malefactor class and make use of the sling starting out. A stack of rocks and a sling is easier than a lot of spears, and spears have low durability.

Also before the metal age, finding obsidian is really nice. They've got a nice durability bonus over the regular flint or lesser stone tools.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man I am stupidly blessed/lucky with my seed. I've managed to stumble into both zinc + bismuth while digging for copper. I went looking to see if maybe limestone was under me and while hunting a random coal vein I stumbled into a tin vein. There's a rich copper area near me. I'm about a full days walk to an area with surface limestone, which I just found and was the only thing really holding me up.

We'll see if iron or maybe the little bit of lead I need become a problem but I feel like I've hit the lotto.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Man I am stupidly blessed/lucky with my seed. I've managed to stumble into both zinc + bismuth while digging for copper. I went looking to see if maybe limestone was under me and while hunting a random coal vein I stumbled into a tin vein. There's a rich copper area near me. I'm about a full days walk to an area with surface limestone, which I just found and was the only thing really holding me up.

We'll see if iron or maybe the little bit of lead I need become a problem but I feel like I've hit the lotto.

Your land's so rich in resources I wouldn't be surprised if some white people turn up with a flag soon

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Your land's so rich in resources I wouldn't be surprised if some white people turn up with a flag soon

Sees a trader cart on the horizon oh no

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there some mechanic by which fires actually burn much more slowly over time or something?

Its my first winter and I was just testing out the fireplace in my home. After the fire reaches temp it seems like it takes forever for the fuel to be used so long as nothing is on the fire. Is there any sort of latent heat/warming up blocks? I wish I knew more about what the game actually cared about for heat.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Is there some mechanic by which fires actually burn much more slowly over time or something?

Its my first winter and I was just testing out the fireplace in my home. After the fire reaches temp it seems like it takes forever for the fuel to be used so long as nothing is on the fire. Is there any sort of latent heat/warming up blocks? I wish I knew more about what the game actually cared about for heat.

"When used without anything in the Input slot, fuel with last 2.5x longer than the tooltip. This can help you stop freezing in the winter, and dry off when wet."

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php/Firepit

I didn't know that either!

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So I more or less buy all my games nowadays on Steam so for some reason I could have sworn that I did in fact buy the game but I wasn't in a super survival game mood at the time and uninstalled it. No idea where I bought it from, and I've searched my e-mails and nothing's turning up so now I'm really confused.

Now I'm also wondering if I just watched a long video and didn't actually buy it but I'm almost certain I did, so odd.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s sold on either humble or the actual website itself, if you did end up buying it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
itch.io as well

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When I am out prospecting there are tons of chickens and pigs.

But I get my hunting gear out and the world becomes a barren place.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

zedprime posted:

When I am out prospecting there are tons of chickens and pigs.

But I get my hunting gear out and the world becomes a barren place.

I mark them on my map. Still have no idea how I'm going to get chickens anywhere near my homestead.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Radiation Cow posted:

I mark them on my map. Still have no idea how I'm going to get chickens anywhere near my homestead.

Install the Animal Cages mod.

Or supposedly you can lead them with grain but they run away as soon as they get near you so you need to plan it well.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Radiation Cow posted:

You can just chase them back to your place. Stay right behind them and they run straight but you can also corral them depending on your position behind them. The only problem is how far away and how much patience you got.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I tried playing on multiplayer, but logging in to find all my food is rotten and all my torches have gone out is annoying.

Maybe I need to just join up with one of the local groups on here. It's just that, being a mostly casual player, it feels like most of the work and problems are already solved by the more active players.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It feels like no matter what the issue of the world continuing to exist after you log out is going to be an issue unless you are having someone open the server for a few hours to have everyone play then shutting it off again. A lot of people do multiplayer so there must be a way around it but idk what it would be.

You'd basically have to do Villager Simulator and make a communal food storage that can be filled and emptied around the clock. Which is a fun group project but :effort:

If there was a significant interest we could put together a goon server to do that, but it caps out at 8 concurrent players.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 24, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Ruggan posted:

I tried playing on multiplayer, but logging in to find all my food is rotten and all my torches have gone out is annoying.

Maybe I need to just join up with one of the local groups on here. It's just that, being a mostly casual player, it feels like most of the work and problems are already solved by the more active players.

That's what I never really like playing multiplayer in these kinda games.

It can be fun if you have a small group of friends who also play casually but any public server I do not find enjoyable. I'm having a blast in single player right now, I've only just gotten my home base really started (I'm still living out of a small cave in the side of a mountain).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Longer years on servers helps, I think some food decay scales to that. Also stockpiling food in containers that reduce decay rate, or in cellars on servers helps. I always keep lots of grain on hand. Usually I'm the one making time go by on a server though. And avoid public servers.