Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bad_fmr posted:

For sure. Luckily my local butchers shop has them available quite regularily. Especially good when smoke cured.

Good in sausage, too. Somehow a normal grocery store thing here despite horse beef being nearly unknown.

E: Good lord what a snipe.
:horse::horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

drat man how loving big of a boom leaves 12 foot deep craters ON SEABED?

Florida man goes fishing in North Sea, film at 11.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Wasabi the J posted:

At least a thousand hamburgers of tnt

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Afternoon Def Mon thread
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1587867835530739712?s=20&t=1xVxSTuU5wX0h2Vvxr_FPw
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1587867852316594176?s=20&t=1xVxSTuU5wX0h2Vvxr_FPw
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1587867859736223745?s=20&t=1xVxSTuU5wX0h2Vvxr_FPw
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1587867867126562823?s=20&t=1xVxSTuU5wX0h2Vvxr_FPw
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1587867876316385281?s=20&t=1xVxSTuU5wX0h2Vvxr_FPw
Better weather incoming so maybe more news in the next few days

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Karate Bastard posted:

This is still funny, still thinking about this one lol

:ssh: Mods cannot see me because Nairobi Long Elk are a drat dirty lie.

We also do not make fantastic Margaritas and other mixed beverages. Such would be baseless libel.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1587890581308669953

https://twitter.com/BeratStuff/status/1587767580420448256?s=20&t=Bhd9TUMEA0Hn0w9wMMXKew

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly there is a shot of Putin having an IV bruise on his hand so while I don't really believe the Sun, I think it wouldn't be a surprise if there is something genuinely wrong with him.

It's public knowledge that for a long while an oncologist who specializes in thyroid cancer was part of his entourage and went with him everywhere. Sadly, that variety of cancer is one of those where if you have modern treatment you will die with it, not of it. Here's hoping for complications.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I got curious and went looking and I think that must either be a mistranslation or a lie.

Using the rough approximations I found of D(m) = 0.8W(Kg)^(1/3) and H(m) ~= 2.5D(m) for a near surface explosion. I think a 12ft deep crater would be several kilotons of TNT equivalent, assuming I'm not loving up the math.

Maybe they meant radius? Even then seems too large. I dunno someone cross-check me on that.

References:
Surface and Buried Explosions An Explorative Review with Recent Advances
CRATERS PRODUCED BY EXPLOSIONS ON THE SOIL SURFACE
Effects of underground explosions on soil and structures

Objective Action fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 2, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So you guys have been wondering if anything was going to come out of the Admin Feedback Session. Well, the answer is 'yep, just took a while'

QCS THREAD PLEASE RESPOND HERE TO THESE CHANGES : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016434

run by Jeff himself. The thread in QCS is for discussing the recent bans and permas, as well as rule changes regarding how the Ukraine threads will be handled moving forward in both the GBS and CSPAM threads. I have a post in that thread outlining my position - tl;dr I made mistakes in my handling of things, I want this thread to be as drama free as a war thread can be moving forward and will be implementing new rules/enforcing existing ones to make that happen. The OP is also getting updated to reflect these changes.

Newish rules:

October 6th 2022 update posted:

:siren: going forward there is going to be a higher threshold for considering videos with on-camera visible death 'newsworthy'. Please use good judgement and include all requisite tags and content warnings, but I can and will remove videos that I don't consider to meet the increased threshold and I can and will punish offenders at my discretion :siren:

October 31 2022 update posted:

:siren:Bloodthirst/excessive reveling in the death/misfortune of soldiers/civilians is now explicitly and definitively punishable by probation or ban. This is subject to ramps for repeated offenses.

Please remember that it's human beings on both sides of this conflict. Dark jokes are a way of reacting/coping with horrible things, but as always going to far will cost you some time off and maybe 10 dollars.

Remember: to be a joke it needs to be funny
:siren:

Both of these things are notes I got during the open discussion with Athanatos and they are changes I'm happy to continue enforcing.

New iron-clad no questions to be asked this comes from Jeff himself rule:

No more posting about other forums or other users. No more name calling, no more 'but they're nazis/fascists/tankies!!!!". Full stop. As you all well know I wasn't happy about it happening at all this entire time. Mocking offsite poo poo is still okay but if you use it to try to backdoor in complaints about CSPAM you will get a probation. I am not a word filter, I understand context just fine, as do the other mods. The raft of bans show better than I can tell that concerns were listened to and that they will be listened to moving forward. IF you have concerns report the posts or message them to me or an admin, or to me AND an admin if you're feeling spicy.

Let me be crystal clear about this: Not following this rule and/or the failure to enforce it will result in this thread being gassed. I don't want that, I don't think any of you want that. I will be acting accordingly.

To that end if posters from other parts of the site post in here please don't be an rear end in a top hat off the bat. Someone having a different perspective on the war doesn't make them a nazi, or a facist, or even a bad person. Engage with the posts in front of you not someone's post history. If you think someone is stirring poo poo for the love of god just report them . Don't get aggro and name-call and derail the thread. This is in the rules listed in the OP already. I've been lenient about letting arguments go previously, and as long as things stay civil I still will be. Keep things civil.

This thread is about the war, not discussing these changes. It's going to stay locked for a bit but there will still be a GBS Ukraine thread at the end of the day

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Updated OP:

quote:

This thread is about the war in Ukraine, its effects across the world, and now apparently the re-meltdown of the former Soviet bloc as Russia has shown themselves to be not big strong bear but moldy taxidermized raccoon.

October 6th 2022 update posted:

:siren: going forward there is going to be a higher threshold for considering videos with on-camera visible death 'newsworthy'. Please use good judgement and include :nms: tags, de-embedding, and content warnings, but I can and will remove anything that I don't consider to meet the increased threshold and I can and will punish offenders at my discretion up to and including bans :siren:

October 31 2022 update posted:

:siren:Bloodthirst/excessive reveling in the death/misfortune of soldiers/civilians is now explicitly and definitively punishable by probation or ban. This is subject to ramps for repeated offenses.

Please remember that it's human beings on both sides of this conflict. Dark jokes are a way of reacting/coping with horrible things, but as always going to far will cost you some time off and maybe 10 dollars.

Remember: to be a joke it needs to be funny
:siren:

November 1st 2022 update posted:

:siren:By Rule of Jeff NO MORE DISCUSSION OF OTHER FORUMS OR THEIR POSTERS IN THIS THREAD:siren:

this will be strictly enforced. Repeated violations of this rule and/or my failure to enforce it will result in this thread being gassed. I do not want this thread to be gassed

Behave accordingly

Main rules:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

:siren:Be respectful to your fellow poster: :siren: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives in Ukraine or Russia, some may actually be in an active war zone. As such, emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations, because you may not know what they're feeling to relative to this war. Don't start calling people names because you disagree with them. Flinging around words like nazi/tankie/fascist shuts down conversation and makes the thread worse for everyone

:siren:No slapfighting: :siren: - See the updated rule above, but this also applies to on-topic slapfighting. We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for renewing the argument

NWS images: This is a tough one, because this is probably the first major conflict that's taking place in the internet/TikTok/Instagram era. As such, there may be disturbing images that proliferate online. If you're going to post something like that, please consider the following:

1) Is this newsworthy? The threshold for 'newsworthy' has been vastly increased - see updated rule from 10/6
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and what's OK to post in here

- Military equipment getting blown up, non-graphic footage/images of destroyed buildings, and footage/images of ongoing explosions are fine but please include content warnings when they are appropriate.
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning but make sure the description is clear if you do
--Please consider if this thread really needs yet another video of a tank exploding. That's not newsworthy or interesting at this point
- Anything gory or with visible death: See updated rule from 10/6. Err on the side of not posting it at all
-- News articles with photos or videos are generally acceptable but ALWAYS include content warnings and tag as :nms: if the header image contains gore or corpses.
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Videos of torture/mutilation of soldiers or civilians are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and will be paying 10 dollars or risking your account.
-- News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings and tags
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation or ban

Don't be weird and racist against anyone, including Russians: Using the term 'orcs' or 'hohols' falls into this category. Yes you can be racist against different types of Europeans, Europe has had time to develop varieties of racism us filthy Americans can only dream of

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. Also, because I know this is going to come up someday, if there is a conflict with these rules or the main rules thread, the main rules thread supersedes all others.

Please don't poo poo up this thread. I plan to make liberal use of the thread close and slowposting switches as required

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 3, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

New thread is live

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016636