Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

KitConstantine, your avatar is haunting.

I hate it.

Just as much as I hate the war in Ukraine, BOOM on-topic post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I know he's dead now but was Tom Clancy ever military adjacent or was he just a dude wanking off over military jargon?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Philonius posted:

Not to mention directly fueled with Russian money. Marine le Pen in France admitted to it I think, and there's strong evidence that our own alt-right party (FvD) in the Netherlands has been receiving Russian funding. They've declined to condemn the invasion of Ukraine, and went so far as to state that the Netherlands should withdraw from NATO. In light of recent events I'd say that's treason-adjacent.

The government declined to investigate too deeply because apparantly they don't want to set the precedent that party funding ought to be audited for fear of unearthing their own skeletons, so that's all great.

I'm 999% certain that it's not just the FvD rolling in Russian or Russia adjacent money as far as political parties in the Netherlands are concerned.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Putin is a poo poo bag.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The Butcher posted:

I don't even understand why you would even want to be a murderous dictator.

Maybe if you were a bit mentally hosed and believed you were on a mission for god or whatever, I could get that.

But if you were of sound mind, just... Why?

If you had that drive and skill to get in control, you could just be a benevolent dictator and try to make things better for your people.

You are just going to die eventually anyway. It won't matter how much poo poo you took over or how many lives you wasted or how much money you made.

Why do it? Just be kinder. loving humans.

the thing about being a murderous dictator is that as long as it's good, it's great. Especially for a certain mindset. You have power over scores of people, are probably raking in cash, live like a king and get to murder/opress people willy nilly. But then it goes bad, it always does in some form or other and suddenly you're Ghaddafi being sodomized with a bayonet.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I have a question and I hope it's not considered stupid, but when people say no one will recognize the referendum but Russia aren't they forgetting China? They've been pretty open about seeing Russia'sPutin and his cronies' quest for lebensraum as legit, possibly because of their own ambitions. Would it help Putin a lot if China openly declared their support for the referendum, or is that unlikely?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Thanks for the answers everyone, again sorry if it was ignorant to ask the question in the first place. I'm not really that up on the politics of Russia/China and their relationship.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...3!16zL20vMGhqeQ

This is close to where my cousins live (they study wolves for the Alaskan DNR), the only way in is by floatplane, they do have neighbors about ten miles from where they live or so, and they use Starlink. It is remote as gently caress, and the concept of bringing a landline in is completely insane. Look at rural Montana or Utah or Argentina or Australia or most Pacific islands. Running cable there is also crazy, expensive, destroys the environment and can be dangerous as hell.

Yes and starlink launches are famously environmentally friendly.

E: I realize I should take this to a starlink or Musk thread. For thread relevant post have we heard anything about the referendum? 99% yes to annexation I assume?

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 24, 2022

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

fish and chips and dip posted:

Image of the gas leak outside of Denmark. Picture taken from a Danish F16 fighter.

It's not a small crack, it's huge hole.

That looks like me farting in the bathtub :/

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I mean if Putin really just wants to burn the world now because he can't be the cool new tzar of rising Russia so no one else can have anything. And no one in his circle has the balls to stop him, we're just hosed right?

Nothing to do but enjoy the world's most stupid tantrum and lament that this how humanity goes out. Not a candle in the wind, not a last look at a sunset but a loving fart in a bathtub.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

NihilCredo posted:

Re: Nordstream sabotage

Honestly, this the one time since February 24th that I am leaning towards the Russian version.

It makes zero sense for Russia to blow up a pipeline that they can choose to shut down at any time - as they have already demonstrated.

But it makes perfect sense for the USA to make it physically impossible for Germany & Co. to give in to the temptation of lifting sanctions and resuming buying Russian gas.

Sure, I guess it could be Norway or Algeria, both of which stand to make a shitton of money by selling their gas at a premium. But the list of candidates with both the means and a motive is painfully small and almost entirely within NATO.

It made zero sense for Russia to invade Ukraine unless they had the actual power to take Kyiv within the timeline they stated too.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Power Khan posted:

Lmao, "the CIA did it"

I wasn't expecting that. Or maybe the MI6 who secretly rules russia or the Queen who faked her own death.

The cia made you doublepost :tinfoil:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Chicken Butt posted:

I can’t wait to hear Tucker Carlson’s theory on this one. “Wokeism did it,” perhaps?

You know those drat woke pipelines, they start in the schools with their blue hairs and their LGBTQs and end up blowing up a few miles below the sealine instead of getting married and having a family.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He looks absolutely exhausted.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Jimlit posted:

Why are they holding their rifles in a way that each one is aimed at the head of the person on their left?

It's to make sure they all stay in line.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

fish and chips and dip posted:

Found it on several news websites, citing AFP. I guess if they had a hint of the US actually doing this, they'd be much more vocal than this.

For a Russian newsbite that sounds almost toothless. Where's the fire and brimstone anger?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

If it turns out the USA did it, and that's a big loving if, they'd be burning a lot of good will that they literally just got back. I'm more inclined that they country consistently shooting itself in the dick while threatening to do it again, is doing it again.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Shanghaied posted:

Yes Socrates, but what is rationality, really?

All I know is what I know, that I know is garbage, is what I know. But beyond a doubt do I know, that what I know is that Putin can suck the poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

evilmiera posted:

Bets on which parties are the obvious targets. Tories are too easy and don't count.

Forum voor Democratie and Partij voor de Vrijheid in the Netherlands no question

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Russia is going to turn into that uncle no one invites to parties but that always somehow shows up that nobody engages with but who always ends up drunk and masturbating in the kiddiepool.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

If Putin uses a nuke most if not all of us will be dead. It'll boost nor break morale, it's an action with a single outcome, death.

You can worry about it, like I did, or accept it as something outside your control (unless you're standing next to poots as he gives the order, kick him in the nuts if you are).

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Wasabi the J posted:

Would you say that you learned to stopped worrying?

I love it now.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Putz will say something like, and now after the overwhelming majority of people voted in favor for annexation, 97% can you believe it (so fair!), I would request Ukraine get the gently caress out of russia before I nuke russia.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Does the Russian-elite just get different news than we do at this point?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

God he really does just have 'little man' syndrome doesn't he.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

B-Rock452 posted:

One of the main reasons behind all the "manly" Putin photos that exist of him riding horses shirtless or "hunting" was he is super insecure about his height and his voice is high pitched. Pretty much everyone in Russia knew it was a bullshit act but conservatives loved strong daddy Putin not realizing he is probably smaller than Ben Shapiro

He's just waiting for his mid-life growth spurt.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Burns posted:

So whats the practical response for NATO and "the west" (because of course Putin's an orientalist)?

According to the tankies, give Putin what he wants, pull back to pre-WWII era borders, lie down on back, show belly.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Putin is a disaster for the tourism industry

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

pro starcraft loser posted:

Come on and SLAM
And lose wars to JAPAN

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Oldsmobile posted:

Serioustalk, if Russia isn't stopped now, Baltics and Finland are next on the menu. They're also drifiting towards "we'll do what we want or we'll nuke you" which makes sense from an extremely hosed up point of view.

I would not put it beyond them saying "we'll nuke Tallinn if you don't lay down arms and let our (podunk) army walk across the border". Like how do you respond to something like that?

You don't let them walk across the border. The gently caress's he gonna do? Nuke us?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I know it's dumb, I know it's stupid, but I just want NATO to get involved at this point and help Ukraine because Putin's stupid posturing while going NUKES!!!11!!! and then doing more stupid posturing is infuriating.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cthulu Carl posted:

"We're shaping the battlefield. It's simple - we had the Ukrainians right where we want them, but now we know longer want them there, we want them like 50 miles further east. We also not only didn't need Lyman any more, but we didn't need those 5000 troops there. This is all according to План*."

Probably ran out of civilians to murder in Lyman anyway.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Oldsmobile posted:

Maybe, but they could also be stationed there because they have the facilities.

Doing another run on Kyiv sounds dumb af.

*Motions towards all the poo poo Russia has been doing lately.* Your point?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I fully expect to be jerking it when the bomb falls, because how the gently caress else am I ending up in the history books of the Arachnid people.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 2, 2022

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna be the modern Pompeii man?

Let's just say I'm definitely going to be covered in an eruption.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I have a question because it's absolutely baffling to me. How does Kadyrov maintain power? Is his state just like Moscow in that it's effectively a policestate with a disaffected and beaten down population?

His tiktok stuff is so weird and clout chasing, while looking just...super fake. I don't get it

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Thanks (not really, I'm not going to be able to purge this info for a while) for the information on Kadyrov. What a shitheel.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Tucker's even worse than a paid Russian agent. He's doing that poo poo for free because he wants white supremacist poo poo.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ups_rail posted:

So has anyone justified nukes yet? I mean like posters here on Somethingawful!

That's a very rigorous way of taint bleaching, but go off king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Spacex “lost” the money, not Musk personally.

He acts like he did though, just like he acts like everything he does is for nothing but elevating humanity. While, you know, being a dipshit.