Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Problem description: I started up my ~1 year old prebuilt HP desktop today from sleep to continue working on some Word docs from yesterday and it showed me just a black screen. I restarted it and pressing escape got me to this screen:

Pressing escape there eventually (after like a minute) pops up this window:

Attempted fixes: From there, I ran diagnostics (F2) on all the components (cpu, ram, storage, board, video) and found no issues. The boot menu (F9) shows my SSD and selecting it leads to a black screen. Worryingly, going to bios setup (F10) and system recovery (F11) also go to a black screen. I made a Windows recovery USB on my laptop and it showed up in the boot menu, but selecting it also led to black screen. I expected worst case scenario would be just doing a fresh Windows install, but doesn't look like that's possible :( I used Rufus to write a Windows iso rather than the Windows media creation tool, no change. I took out the GPU and plugged directly into mobo video out and there's no change. The computer is perfectly stable sitting on that screen so I don't think it's the psu, but not sure.

I've never had any instability or issues with it til now and it's about 3 months out of the 1 year warranty lol. Anything else to try? Or do I just write it off and get a new mobo+psu and swap all the components over?

Recent changes: Nope

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: HP TG01-2260xt, i5-11400, 3060ti, 16GB ram, 512GB ssd

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

sourdough fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try a different SSD SATA cable (if it's that kind of SSD).

Try using only one stick of RAM temporarily (swap the other stick if the first doesn't work).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zogo posted:

Try a different SSD SATA cable (if it's that kind of SSD).

Try using only one stick of RAM temporarily (swap the other stick if the first doesn't work).

Thank you! Swapped ram out and no change, but I did have an extra ssd besides the main drive and removing that fixed things :toot: I don't really get it because it wasn't a boot drive, but I will not question it further lol