Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Legitimately don't understand what Asher's shields did before, still don't fully understand what it being on her primary means now. Did it prevent damage/knockback? Automatically strike the puck??

How it used to work is that during the casting of that move the Core would collide with Asher. You meant to use it by standing in the path of the Core, activating the ability, letting the Core hit your body and stop, then the attack part of the ability activates and punts the Core and whoever is unlucky to stand in front of Asher really hard.

I'm not yet sure what changed. I think it works like before on your own side of the field now, but not on the opponent side?
I only ever play Goalie.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

from what i'm seeing, how does octavia's bass drop not instantly guarantee a goal if used in front of the goalie? it seems like an ult boosted version of X's entire kit

It doesn't stunlock you so you can just pop your Q to not be stunned by hits 2 through 5 and use whatever goalie ability you have to get the ball away from there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah "infinitely" was funny to see in the notes, I don't think I've ever seen a game even claim that before. It's so weird. It obviously isn't infinite. Even if they coded it that way, computers don't work that way. So what is it?

It stacks up to 4,294,967,295 times, if I had to guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip posted:

I actually didn't have too much trouble with Octavia tonight, but Vyce was really annoying, its possible I was having latency issues but she's pretty consistently getting the kind of knockbacks I only see from fully geared out X's but with no indicator on the map and from halfway across the map. If she's on the opposing team on Ai.Mi's App I just basically get KO'd if I get touch the midline since she can knock me into the wall or the pit in the middle with me at full stagger from one hit. Pretty frustrating.

With a full charged special or...?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Huh...I didn't realize that even character has their own theme and that it starts playing after every round depending on which character was the MVP.
https://youtu.be/lD95kqFFElM
Neat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

God, I can't stand Juno.
90% of the matches I've played today were just Juno v Juno mass blob spam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Am I the only one who gets a bug at round 3 or so, where half of the sound effects stop playing until the next match? It's extremely disorienting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that Energy Burst knocks enemies back.
I just accidentally KO'd 3 people with the same Energy Burst and then landed a goal.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The energy/burst system is in a good place I feel, because it's very powerful, but it's very easy to gently caress up, and when you do miss it, you lose your energy bar, it's a big commitment. You have to make sure you get value from it.

The game is far less predictable than it was in beta.

All the changes they made between the end of the Beta and 1.0 are really drat good.
The energy system solves a whole lot of problems and the new level up system is much more interesting than before.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a loving nightmare every time one of my teammates passes the ball to the opponents.
If you're close enough to possibly score with that shot, sure, but if there's no chance that you might score and you're kicking the ball towards the enemy then you're just giving our ball to them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They need to add a 4th Size Awakening. I'm not big enough when I stack the 3 that are available now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have a clue on how one's Top Strikes are calculated in the leaderboards?

I just find it weird that Asher is not on there, despite me playing as Asher in like 80% of my matches.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I do Era goalie pretty often and it's pretty drat good actually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Era as goalie can protect her allies against an aggressive enemy forwards, especially X, by debugging them constantly, in a way Asher can't.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone else pick their character depending on what two passives are available during character selection?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I grinded out some ranks and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now.
I think it's mostly because I have no loving idea what to do when both of my Forwards are incompetent.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There needs to be callouts for "stop passing to the enemy" and "press Q for gently caress's sake".

EDIT: Also, while I'm already bitching. I'm convinced no Juno players know how to play the game.
I'm yet to see a single Juno not constantly pass the ball directly to the opponents at every opportunity.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So it's not me who's the fuckup. It's Asher that was bugged. Good to know.

Lots of good changes. Especially surrender and practice mode.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Man, it's wild to me to see more Octavia nerfs while Vyce gets a bugfix that's a slight buff lmao. I'm guessing Octavia is super duper good in higher-level play, but in the casual levels I'm in she almost always just accomplishes nothing due to teammates not always giving her the ball, and she feels 100% dependent on getting the perfect awakenings or she'll be borderline useless.

You can get the perfect awakenings if you play good. :sun:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay what the gently caress?
Why did the game match Silver/Silver/Gold versus Silver/Silver/Platinum?

We got destroyed 9 - 1 in a blink of an eye. I think this is the fastest loss I've ever had.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I literally haven't had a single balanced match since the last patch.
The opponent team have been higher rank than my team literally every single time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's probably true for every competitive game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How the gently caress am I supposed to Goalie THAT?! I only have one fat Asher rear end to stop the ball with, not two?!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does Asher still not have a single skin?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That's just a promotional recolor, it doesn't count.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of skins, they really really should make some basic rear end recolors purchasable with Style Points.
To add a little more variety to every match.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Give me a Size Spark.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tulip posted:

I feel like all awakenings are a pile of stats. Unless I'm missing something really fundamental about the game, which would explain why I'm bad at the game, but AFAIK Deadeye gives you "hits harder at longer ranges" and Glass Cannon is "moves faster until you get hit," just stats.

You figure out what part of your kit will be more effective against the current team you're facing and focus on the stats that boost that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They really should teach those basics in the tutorial.
It's not that bad when you get to Gold but anything below is very painful, especially if you're a Goalie and is unable to carry the game because of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You could always make "advanced" tutorial mandatory only for competitive. Letting people who just want to jump in with their friends do that in other game modes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thoughts on Vyce as a goalie?
I assumed that it wouldn't work at first but I've had a few matches recently against Goalie Vyces and they seemed to do fairly well, and I'm always on the lookout for interesting goalie options.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

curiousCat posted:

Goalie Vyce is really strong. The pressure she can put on the enemy team with her small circle stun, combined with the ability to jump forward and eject button back, means she has a lit more ability to make a difference on the other side of the field. When you add on the fact that her zap projectile is very good at pushing the puck past opponents thanks to the lingering electric, along with the gigantic AoE denial of her ult, you have someone with a lot of options for clearing.

Sounds neat.
Any recommendations on what Awakenings she wants most as a Goalie?
I'm assuming Eject Button is mandatory.

EDIT: Do any of the Awakenings increase the range on her Secondary?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 24, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay drat, I did some matches as Goalies Vyce and she feels good to play.
Her moveset solves the biggest frustration I have as a Goalie, not being able to do anything useful when everyone is on the opposite side of the field.

She's also a lot more forgiving than I thought. I figured that a bad Special on the opposite side of the field will just result in a goal against me but no, I often have enough time to Eject Button back and defend the goal against my own fuckup.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Asher's skin is pretty underwhelming.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm imagining that he's probably not a viable goalie, which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010