Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

:lol: seems like bad form to like tweets dunking on your castmate but yeah I def get the feeling both Owen and Cass thought Gabler winning was as absurd as a lot of the audience did. fairness to Karla: while maybe she was looking for reasons not to vote Kass, the vote was 7-1. Almost the entire jury came away from Ftc voting the same way she did.

hahaha i started the finale earlier but tuned out at some point getting ready, I cracked up when I read your post saying Gabler won just now, I clicked in to actually which of the 2 won, assuming gabler was just a goat type and that the angry roaring man would've put everyone off him one way or the other before. Shame cause I often feel the goat deserves way more credit than given to the winner who feels like they had it on easy street. Guy was the one person on the cast I had strong feelings about, been pretty detached from this season in general, but I was especially clocked out when he was on screen. I did hear him say he was giving his money to some charity and wondered if that was going to be the big new survivor gambit, hey vote me I'm doing chaaaaarity.

Nihonniboku posted:

I think my main issue with the cast is due to how they edit the show now. Since we get very little of camp life, and it's almost entirely focused on challenges, strategizing, and discussion of their tragic backstories with family members dying at the hand of Sauron which has inspired them to win Survivor, other than the major personalities like Cody, we don't really get a sense of who any of these people are. It's hard to root for someone if there is nothing really there to root for.

I think that's a part of why I didn't get hooked on this season at all. Not super interested in people's back and sob stories, more interested in who they are when they're out there. How they get when they're trapped in a super weird boring place without the comforts of life back home, getting cabin fever, having to vote someone out just because you don't wanna have to be around them at camp anymore, or because of drama that got sparked when people are out there losing their minds. They keep trying to jam more "less food/lovely camp" as a substitute for the time cuts but it doesn't work that way. Strategy talk often feels like filler because we're about to see the results and tribal anyway. Challenges are fun but I miss all of the other stuff they used to do and that was only stuff they could do when there's a community and tribe of people playing the game but also having to live there. Now they get camps wiped so regularly and spend such little time at em, it can't ever be worth investing anything but minimal effort into shelters, they're in and out so fast they can just sit for a while between ~activities~ like its an extreme corporate teambuilding event.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Pony: Dr. Old Man
:slick:

Not a bad finale but I really felt like Owen was drawing dead and never saw enough to believe in Cassidy outside of a late challenge surge.
We need firemaking to be a TV sport. It's great drama.

e: Grats to Leatherhead stomping us in the fantasy league. All three finalists. drat!

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 16, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm not surprised that Gabler won, but I am surpised that Owen got completely shut out.

I feel like Cass had some good answers, but she just didn't have the public speaking experience or skill to deliver them well, where as Gabler did. I did like her answer about not screwing herself in the firemaking challenge though.

Looking forward to a season packed with injuries and medical emergencies.

And I still think they need to decouple reward and immunity.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

wow Karla really thought she was serving, throwing a million dollars into a garbage compactor rather than admit she got outplayed by her friend

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Gabler should have donated the million dollars back to Jeff so season 45 could be 39 days.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't get why people think Owen should have won for always being on the outs but still making it to the end. Being on the outs means you are not playing a good game. Yes, its often due to luck and poo poo, but still, an under the radar player who does the right things socially and strategically to always be in the numbers is better than someone on the outs, unless that someone actually makes moves that keep them in the game (like playing idols, stirring up poo poo and getting others voted out, etc). I don't remember Owen really doing anything*. People just decided to vote out other people instead of him

*I didn't pay full attention during this season because I am bored of Survivor but my wife likes it. Maybe I missed stuff

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

blue squares posted:

I don't get why people think Owen should have won for always being on the outs but still making it to the end. Being on the outs means you are not playing a good game. Yes, its often due to luck and poo poo, but still, an under the radar player who does the right things socially and strategically to always be in the numbers is better than someone on the outs, unless that someone actually makes moves that keep them in the game (like playing idols, stirring up poo poo and getting others voted out, etc). I don't remember Owen really doing anything*. People just decided to vote out other people instead of him

*I didn't pay full attention during this season because I am bored of Survivor but my wife likes it. Maybe I missed stuff

His biggest move was someone else using a disadvantage on him to placate james lmao.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Owen won a lot of immunities but when you're never a threat to be voted out because everyone sees you as a goat all you're really doing is keeping immunity off the people who are getting blindsided.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Does throwing a tantrum every time time he loses and being completely ineffectual in the decision behind nearly every vote count as "doing something"?

Season was fun, winner sucked. Cassidy's FTC was pretty bad and Gabler's was good, and that plus whatever supposed poison Karla put in everyone's ears did her in. I'd like to hear what criteria they specifically wanted from Cassidy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lone Goat posted:

Does throwing a tantrum every time time he loses and being completely ineffectual in the decision behind nearly every vote count as "doing something"?

He's been whining a lot on twitter since the episode aired

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

blue squares posted:

I don't think he deserved the win, but I'd have liked to see him get second after Cassidy, if only to acknowledge the harder path he had to the end. I think there were a lot of votes this season where he could have ended up as an easy consensus boot if he hadn't put some work in.

I don't think much of Gabler's win, but maybe that's because the show framed him as a buffoon that puts palm fronds on sleeping people and gets dogged on behind his back. Then, suddenly Surprise! he was actually everyone's favorite guy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nihonniboku posted:

He's been whining a lot on twitter since the episode aired

Well at least he's consistent

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

blue squares posted:

yeah i don’t get why people are surprised he get zero votes, dude was on the wrong side of so many votes and got dragged to the end because he wasn’t a threat! (outside of challenges) and he lost his cool so many times and whined a lot

i feel like fire is kinda broken bc i agree with cass it’s kinda messed up to win the final immunity and then feel like you have to give it up and do fire yourself. is there another option at final 4 rather than fire and a vote? feels like it would be good to try something different

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leatherhead posted:

I don't think he deserved the win, but I'd have liked to see him get second after Cassidy, if only to acknowledge the harder path he had to the end. I think there were a lot of votes this season where he could have ended up as an easy consensus boot if he hadn't put some work in.

The reason his name never came up as a target is because nobody viewed him as a threat, it didn't have anything to do with work he may or may not have put in.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

The reason his name never came up as a target is because nobody viewed him as a threat, it didn't have anything to do with work he may or may not have put in.

His name did come up though, several times. Not after the Noelle vote - from that point on people are focused on the real threats, but he was on the block pretty much every vote before that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Is there another option at final 4 rather than fire and a vote? feels like it would be good to try something different

Ditching F4 Fire for another challenge to replace it doesn't solve the problem with it.

The stated reason for F4 Fire was to give the strategic masterminds who can't win challenges an alternate path to FTC. Except:

• If you were going to get voted out at 4 for controlling the game for too long, you screwed up and made yourself expendable, or you made yourself too visible, which doesn't sound like a strategic mastermind to me
  • if you suck at challenges, the challenge won't save you, in fact you'll be certain to participate so they can get you out

Ofc, both those things apply to Jesse. He was too flashy too soon. The Strategic Mastermind already had an alternate path to the end other than challenges: by being socially adept, recognizing what their opponents want and giving it to them.

Having a normal-rear end vote is the only way to go, I think. The contestants would either have to break a potential tie amongst themselves or go to rocks. This dilemma played out a lot in prior seasons and was always interesting and different, because the players were interesting and different. The players would be making the choice, and the person with immunity isn't punished for not doing stupid flashy stuff.

But Probst won't do that because he's totally out of touch, and he fuckin loved Chris Underwood making a Big MoveTM for the ResumeTM.

Or he won't do that because they don't trust their contestants to play the game well, which is odd given how rigorous casting is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mp5 posted:

The stated reason for F4 Fire was to give the strategic masterminds who can't win challenges an alternate path to FTC.

Wasn't it created to get Ben to the final 3?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nihonniboku posted:

I would believe it, having not seen HHH personally but hearing the stories. If so, that's a similarly-hosed-up origin that still suggests F4 Fire should be thrown in the trash. But they won't.

On another note, the spoilers for this season were really light and inconsistent, nobody had Gabler picked, but they *did* say production didn't like this season.

Given the people with big edits went out in the final two episodes and we got a wet fart of a winner, I think I see what the spoilers meant by that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty sure Jeff has come out saying how much he loves f4 fire multiple times so we're probably stuck with it

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I can't imagine the F4 fire being an effective game mechanic for too much longer. Gabler already set that in motion doing the challenge in ~4 minutes.

It's also completely hosed on the rules that the person that wins immunity at F4, can actually choose themselves to do the fire. If they choose to give up immunity, then the person they give it too should have the option to pick who goes to fire :smug:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/TulaneOwen/status/1603775411527200768

I actually disagree, I think some sole survivors got production interference, and maybe didn't deserve to win. But good on Owen for apologizing.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I don't mind F4 firemaking. I think Cassidy framed her argument for bringing Gabler incorrectly

"I want Gabler to take out Jesse because he's the best at doing so, that's what I earned with my challenge win"

versus

"I think Owen has a chance if he makes fire."

Like, she tried to take credit for moves that weren't hers, didn't really describe the game that others thought she played, and Gabler had the jury laughing in comparison.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

producers allowed me to be voted out with two idols in my pocket before the merge on internet survivor, seasons are rigged

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Since we got until March before Survivor 44. Might as well put out there that there is a new season of Australian Survivor coming in January with the Heroes Vs. Villains theme with 12 returning players and 12 new players (many of the new players seem like people Australians
probably are familiar with though)! Still have the old thread for it, seeing if a mod will change the title to just being Australian Survivor instead of season specific! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973906

And they take time to get to know the castaways, and the cutaways to their family lives isn't just, "This tragedy happened to me :cry:"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

it was actually a reaction to david missing the final 3 in MvGX

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Owen is messy but he's trying so I respect it as long as he's trying. God's working on us all as a podcast used to say.

Studio posted:

I don't mind F4 firemaking. I think Cassidy framed her argument for bringing Gabler incorrectly

"I want Gabler to take out Jesse because he's the best at doing so, that's what I earned with my challenge win"

versus

"I think Owen has a chance if he makes fire."

Like, she tried to take credit for moves that weren't hers, didn't really describe the game that others thought she played, and Gabler had the jury laughing in comparison.

An strategy that will never probably earn a jury vote that I want to see someday nonetheless is someone to just come out and say, "yeah actually y'all just my shooters. I knew y'all would take out Ryan for me and I got you over there to take out James, then I set this dude over there to knock out Jesse, I'm the kingpin, y'all are my soldiers."

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 17, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Chili posted:

Well good news for you and anyone else interested. Fiji is far away and landing a spot on the cast of the show is nearly impossible. Know what isn't?

Survivor Wandering Woods coming to SA in January!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018108

A whole new adventure and big stakes!

Wow, that is big stakes!!

I guess I could fill out the roster if necessary but I’m extremely bad at survivor. Plus I was kind of looking forward to spectating. But you can’t have spectators without a game so if you need me to make 16/14/12 whatever you want to run, I’m in. lmk and I’ll do the signup form

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Rick posted:

Owen is messy but he's trying so I respect it as long as he's trying. God's working on us all as a podcast used to say.

An strategy that will never probably earn a jury vote that I want to see someday nonetheless is someone to just come out and say, "yeah actually y'all just my shooters. I knew y'all would take out Ryan for me and I got you over there to take out James, then I set this dude over there to knock out Jesse, I'm the kingpin, y'all are my soldiers."

I can't remember which season but this gives me vague memories of a season where some lady made it to FTC because she was a goat that everyone hated. "Kingpin" was her argument and she truly thought she was the queen (and referred to everyone else as her minions)... the jury and other survivors just laughed at her and rolled their eyes.

This might be possible if you could really track everything and everyone knew but man that seems like an insane amount of work to track over 26/39 days.

I also wish we'd go back to 39 days, everything feels super rushed now.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Spokes posted:

Wow, that is big stakes!!

I guess I could fill out the roster if necessary but I’m extremely bad at survivor. Plus I was kind of looking forward to spectating. But you can’t have spectators without a game so if you need me to make 16/14/12 whatever you want to run, I’m in. lmk and I’ll do the signup form

I want you to be involved in whatever way you like. You were a fan favorite last season and you made a good run. Sure you'll be fun in either capacity.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Since we got until March before Survivor 44. Might as well put out there that there is a new season of Australian Survivor coming in January with the Heroes Vs. Villains theme with 12 returning players and 12 new players (many of the new players seem like people Australians
probably are familiar with though)! Still have the old thread for it, seeing if a mod will change the title to just being Australian Survivor instead of season specific! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973906

And they take time to get to know the castaways, and the cutaways to their family lives isn't just, "This tragedy happened to me :cry:"
Australian Survivor has lots of redemption/non-elimination nonsense and it's a huge time commitment, but it truly has all the secondary content missing from modern US Survivor. Even the casuals would be thrilled by the wild challenges.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
season 41 was underwhelming, season 42 was really good, season 43 was underwhelming, hopefully this means season 44 will be really good

Gabler even seemed to have the same strategy as Erika of "make vague gestures toward strategy and 'having a plan' while simply just pissing off the least amount of people on the jury as possible"

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Along with the spoiler source saying production thought 44 >>>>>>>>> 43, Jeff said this in an interview a few days ago:

quote:

Survivor 43 was very unique in the way fear took hold of the players. I’ve never seen it before and after this season, I’m not sure we’ll ever see it again. From my seat at tribal, the social contract seemed to be “You better go with the flow, otherwise we’ll vote you out.” But nobody ever seemed to know who was controlling the flow. It was fascinating to witness. The players often seemed frustrated because it’s a very limiting way to play, but it was of their own doing. Nobody had the courage to make a move. Until Jesse. Now the social contract is out the window, and the game is on.

Basically Jeff called the cast of 43 a bunch of boring cowards. Meanwhile this is what he teased about season 44:

quote:

So, what can you say about Survivor 44, Jeff? "As you can tell from the Survivor 44 promo, we have an explosive season heading your way in March," Probst says. "The personalities are huge and wildly entertaining. The gameplay is really fun and very active, and the danger of living in the jungle is real."

So I will against my better judgment have high expectations of 44. Even though Jeff once said Caramoan was the best season ever and that Worlds Apart was 'the best group of people we've ever had' before those crappy seasons aired. Don't let me down this time Jeff.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Australian Survivor has lots of redemption/non-elimination nonsense and it's a huge time commitment, but it truly has all the secondary content missing from modern US Survivor. Even the casuals would be thrilled by the wild challenges.

Yea, they've been better in more recent seasons with some of it. But it's also just part of the game and you know it's coming so it's really not that big of a deal to have the non elimination episodes. They just have 24 players and 24 episodes to put out (and the final 5 & final 4 are their own individual episodes), so the math just makes it so they have to have a couple episodes where nobody actually goes home.

But the longer episodes means you get some focus on the camp life and actually know who the players are. They are pretty good at having a segment from each camp multiple times in an episode, and especially between the reward and immunity challenge.

Seasons 41--43 were cool and with some good moves & some social topic tribal councils, but like who were the players. Nobody knows, they are pretty much all edited as just game bots playing a game.

Australian Survivor is a larger time commitment, but totally worth it. All I'll say in this thread though, I made the Australian thread for that!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Antiquated Pants posted:

I can't remember which season but this gives me vague memories of a season where some lady made it to FTC because she was a goat that everyone hated. "Kingpin" was her argument and she truly thought she was the queen (and referred to everyone else as her minions)... the jury and other survivors just laughed at her and rolled their eyes.

Sheri wasn't that delusional, so that sounds like either Noura or Angelina? 'Kingpin' sounds more like Noura.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The more I think about it, the more I dislike the whole 'lets roll right into the aftershow' thing.

You take people who have been out there for weeks, malnourished, dehydrated, exhausted, just been through an emotional ringer, start pushing them to drink and drink and drink, then turn the cameras on and hope some good TV happens.

I remember reading that they have counsellors waiting for players right after they get voted off. I remember they actually showed it one year when Kat, I believe it was, was having a breakdown in the car to Ponderosa.

"So, Owen, how does it feel, after being the underdog and on the outs all season, to not get a single vote?"

How the gently caress do you think it feels, Jeff?

I agree. Give them a day to sleep, shower, eat a few meals, and maybe don't push alcohol onto them.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Agreed. Once the votes are read and the winner is crowned, the game is over. Stop loving with them and trying to get something 'raw'.

Like maybe just do a sit down with Jeff and the winner if you need to get something right away for some reason. But even that seems unnecessary.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I mean, Jeff says they're doing it for the raw content or whatever but let's keep it real here, they're doing it because it's immensely cheaper than producing a live finale. There is literally no other reason.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it’s one of those covid things that’s sticking around because companies realised it’s way cheaper.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Very few people gave a gently caress about the live finale in recent years and they kept shortening the actual live finale part of the show. Makes since really to stop doing it and do it all on location. But they really should do the reunion part a day later instead of right away. "You just lost the game, but now you gotta share your thoughts while eating lovely pizza"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I do and probably will always miss the studio reading of the votes most, I never watched much of the actual reunion stuff but having the winner get to run off and celebrate with their family gave it an impact it can never have on location.