Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

I do and probably will always miss the studio reading of the votes most, I never watched much of the actual reunion stuff but having the winner get to run off and celebrate with their family gave it an impact it can never have on location.

Surely it couldn't cost that much to do it 1-2 days later and secretly fly the winner's family out (tell all the families to be ready on the date they might be flying, tell the final 5 or so, etc) and then after the votes are read the family gets to run out onto the set. It would give Jeff the tears he so dearly loves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

njsykora posted:

I do and probably will always miss the studio reading of the votes most, I never watched much of the actual reunion stuff but having the winner get to run off and celebrate with their family gave it an impact it can never have on location.

This is where I landed as well. I never really watched the reunion part, but the live vote read was great.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah let's give starving, emotionally exhausted people a bunch of alcohol and grill them about how they just lost a game for a million dollars with the cameras still rolling. The game is over, give those poor people a break.

Back in Borneo, Rudy got 90k for finishing third, I wonder what the non-1st payouts are like these days.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
if you come in third and get no votes you should be allowed to design a challenge for next season, like the one that Make-a-Wish kid designed for season 29 that broke Missy's ankle, but with more spite

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
If you come in 3rd and get no votes you were a goat who should receive no prize money

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

blue squares posted:

Surely it couldn't cost that much to do it 1-2 days later

probably not but the showrunners are cheap assholes

blue squares posted:

and secretly fly the winner's family out (tell all the families to be ready on the date they might be flying, tell the final 5 or so, etc) and then after the votes are read the family gets to run out onto the set.

This will never happen, they axed the Loved Ones visit to save more money and they have enough problems with leaks and spoilers as it is.

(plus only flying out one person's family would be a pretty bad look, i think)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finally watched the finale. Not a lot to add really. Was pulling for Cassidy, thought she played a better game, but ultimately she definitely seemed to lose by the social game. Gabler had too many good relationships with too many people and I think he had that thing where a lot of people felt like a win for him was partially something they helped make happen. Cassidy didn't seem to have that and she had some more bitter endings and it seems like that did her in. So I guess Gabler played the better game. If you get the jury you earned the win. Too bad he's apparently a chud shithead.

Owen's only real chance of winning was probably winning F4 Immunity or the fire challenge. That sort of "I survived, I fought my way here" underdog thing doesn't work if you get brought to the end. Nothing you can really do about that. Owen had a rough game largely not of his own mistakes. He made mistakes but everyone does, he just had zero margin of error. But that's the breaks.

Toss me in with the sentiment that they should give the losers a night to sleep, eat, and cry. Doesn't need to be a live finale, just keep them around one more day while you bust up sets or something. Give them time to process.

All in all I mostly enjoyed that season although its not a great one. We got one all time player out of it with Jesse plus a couple of memorable ones in Kayla and Cody. Not too bad for a "forgettable" season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

plus a couple of memorable ones in Kayla and Cody.

Not that memorable, apparently

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Last year my wife and I binged all the necessary seasons leading up to and including S40 and then took a big break before jumping back in for 43.

I’m a bit surprised that once someone is cast, they don’t practice making fire at home. Has any castmember talked about this, like maybe they do try to prep but just nothing can prepare for being out there for real?

I like that quote from Jeff on fear/timid, that seems to jive with our overall impressions. Part of our enjoyment now is just seeing how psyche’d Probst gets for the show. With all the obvious scale backs to save cost, I do wonder how many season are left. Is it still objectively cheap to produce? I remember like 10 years ago scoffing when I heard the prize was still $1M, so kinda funny that it has stayed the same. I guess that also makes it cheap.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reality shows and gameshows in general are legendarily cheap. Especially when you can film 2 seasons in one go like Survivor does.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Crazyweasel posted:

Last year my wife and I binged all the necessary seasons leading up to and including S40 and then took a big break before jumping back in for 43.

I’m a bit surprised that once someone is cast, they don’t practice making fire at home. Has any castmember talked about this, like maybe they do try to prep but just nothing can prepare for being out there for real?

Some people just don't think that way. Even on Jeopardy!, which you'd expect is the most tryhard show on television, a bunch of people go on that show without ever studying basic wagering strategy, or refreshing themselves on low-hanging fruit like "state capitals" or "names of English monarchs". They just go on and see how they do!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Crazyweasel posted:

It's happened since season 1. Happens on other reality shows. Every single season on RuPaul's Drag Race, there are queens who don't know how to sew, even though they know that there will be at least one sewing challenge. Some get others to help them, others manage to pull something off using just hot glue, and others flounder terribly.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Some people just don't think that way. Even on Jeopardy!, which you'd expect is the most tryhard show on television, a bunch of people go on that show without ever studying basic wagering strategy, or refreshing themselves on low-hanging fruit like "state capitals" or "names of English monarchs". They just go on and see how they do!

I have a bunch of friends who have been on Jeopardy, and I don't think any of them have ever mentioned actually preparing for it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Nihonniboku posted:

I have a bunch of friends who have been on Jeopardy, and I don't think any of them have ever mentioned actually preparing for it.

Isn’t this insane? Knowing one easy world capital can be the difference between a six-figure run and going home your first day and yet people say “well you can’t study for jeopardy, everybody knows that—they don’t GIVE you the categories :smuggo:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Studying for gameshows is ultra nerd poo poo, like the people who obsessively study optimal Wheel or Fortune strategy or memorise every Price is Right game.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

njsykora posted:

Studying for gameshows is ultra nerd poo poo, like the people who obsessively study optimal Wheel or Fortune strategy or memorise every Price is Right game.

don't think we're going to see eye to eye on this lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Contestants on Jeopardy!, famously concerned with not looking like ultra nerds.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I’m convinced if you know how to drive a standard then amazing race throws your application in the trash.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you wouldn't study for a test, so why study for a gameshow. studying is pre-cheating, you only know that stuff because you tried to remember it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Maybe it’s a difference in UK and US gameshow culture, where in the US I’ve seen people describe themselves as professional gameshow contestants (while appearing on gameshows) and in the UK any idiot can end up on The Chase.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

Maybe it’s a difference in UK and US gameshow culture, where in the US I’ve seen people describe themselves as professional gameshow contestants (while appearing on gameshows) and in the UK any idiot can end up on The Chase.

Yeah, a friend was recently on a gameshow (and won his episode). Since he's started meeting other people who have been on gameshows, and almost all of them have a resume of different gameshows that they've been on. Many of them have non-compete clauses, preventing them from appearing on another game show within so many years, but they seem to apply for new game shows the second that period is up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Not that memorable, apparently

Me and not remembering names. The og alliance.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, a friend was recently on a gameshow (and won his episode). Since he's started meeting other people who have been on gameshows, and almost all of them have a resume of different gameshows that they've been on. Many of them have non-compete clauses, preventing them from appearing on another game show within so many years, but they seem to apply for new game shows the second that period is up.

It’s not a non-compete; there’s literally a US law.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

It’s not a non-compete; there’s literally a US law.

This isn't something i'm familiar with--i know gameshows are seriously regulated but i didn't know there was a law about appearance wait times; each show I've seen paperwork for here has its own specific rules (Jeopardy is 6 months from air date, Millionaire is 12 months from signing of the contestant agreement, which actually resulted in some folks being eligible for another show before their episode aired, The Chase is 12 months from the broadcast of the season's last episode, etc etc etc)

e: i wonder what survivor's is...

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Khanstant posted:

studying is pre-cheating

lol what

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
trying to look up the answers before the questions are even asked-- Learning things you don't need to learn, purely for the purpose of a gameplay advantage

its a goof

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Khanstant posted:

you wouldn't study for a test, so why study for a gameshow. studying is pre-cheating, you only know that stuff because you tried to remember it.

Legit knew people in school that thought this

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Spokes posted:

This isn't something i'm familiar with--i know gameshows are seriously regulated but i didn't know there was a law about appearance wait times; each show I've seen paperwork for here has its own specific rules (Jeopardy is 6 months from air date, Millionaire is 12 months from signing of the contestant agreement, which actually resulted in some folks being eligible for another show before their episode aired, The Chase is 12 months from the broadcast of the season's last episode, etc etc etc)

e: i wonder what survivor's is...

Yeah, it looks like I was misinformed. The specific rule I was thinking of, appears to be Wheel of Fortune specific.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

njsykora posted:

Just do what Japan does and don't let any civilians on game shows*, they're all competed in by celebrities.

*Panel Quiz Attack 25 exempted

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sia Awards were announced. Jesse wins the main prize, Owen and Ryan each get $50k.

https://ew.com/tv/watch-sia-give-money-to-survivor-43-contestants/

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Finally watched the finale. Not a lot to add really. Was pulling for Cassidy, thought she played a better game, but ultimately she definitely seemed to lose by the social game. Gabler had too many good relationships with too many people and I think he had that thing where a lot of people felt like a win for him was partially something they helped make happen. Cassidy didn't seem to have that and she had some more bitter endings and it seems like that did her in. So I guess Gabler played the better game. If you get the jury you earned the win. Too bad he's apparently a chud shithead.

All in all I mostly enjoyed that season although its not a great one. We got one all time player out of it with Jesse plus a couple of memorable ones in Kayla and Cody. Not too bad for a "forgettable" season.
Yeah semi-tangent Cassidy did apparently follow up after getting shot down for saying the Ryan boot was hers by saying she pushed the Noelle vote, and people agreed on that one. But so she voted with the majority every time, so did Gabler! I don’t know why some fans act like she was deserved the win. One interesting thing I did hear though was that the players had last seen Erika win, and nobody anywhere really liked her win, so that might have worked against Cass too.

SweetJahasus posted:

I mean, Jeff says they're doing it for the raw content or whatever but let's keep it real here, they're doing it because it's immensely cheaper than producing a live finale. There is literally no other reason.
True, and put me down as another person saying it sucks too. Like, they couldn’t do a life reunion before because it would require a quarantine. It wouldn’t now. Just do it! But they like saving the money so they torture the players like this. Just like the 26-day game, obviously a result of a quarantine but Jeff pretends he loves it just so they can save money on it and keep it forever. I feel like the 26-day game that goes challenge tc challenge tc boom boom boom also leaves less room for anything other than gamebotty decisions, hence all the most impressive players being sent home before ftc these days.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, they've been better in more recent seasons with some of it. But it's also just part of the game and you know it's coming so it's really not that big of a deal to have the non elimination episodes. They just have 24 players and 24 episodes to put out (and the final 5 & final 4 are their own individual episodes), so the math just makes it so they have to have a couple episodes where nobody actually goes home.

But the longer episodes means you get some focus on the camp life and actually know who the players are. They are pretty good at having a segment from each camp multiple times in an episode, and especially between the reward and immunity challenge.

Seasons 41--43 were cool and with some good moves & some social topic tribal councils, but like who were the players. Nobody knows, they are pretty much all edited as just game bots playing a game.

Australian Survivor is a larger time commitment, but totally worth it. All I'll say in this thread though, I made the Australian thread for that!
I love Australian Survivor, and they do a better job with the non-elims now, but I think they purple way too many people for how much time they have editing-wise. Their seasons keep turning out excellent though.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Along with the spoiler source saying production thought 44 >>>>>>>>> 43, Jeff said this in an interview a few days ago:

Basically Jeff called the cast of 43 a bunch of boring cowards. Meanwhile this is what he teased about season 44:

So I will against my better judgment have high expectations of 44. Even though Jeff once said Caramoan was the best season ever and that Worlds Apart was 'the best group of people we've ever had' before those crappy seasons aired. Don't let me down this time Jeff.
Jeff said that about Caramoan and Worlds Apart because he loved the winners.

Leatherhead posted:

Sheri wasn't that delusional, so that sounds like either Noura or Angelina? 'Kingpin' sounds more like Noura.
idk when I read that post I thought Sheri but I haven’t seen that season since it aired.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sighence posted:

Sia Awards were announced. Jesse wins the main prize, Owen and Ryan each get $50k.

https://ew.com/tv/watch-sia-give-money-to-survivor-43-contestants/

lol too bad for cassidy I guess

edit: the sia awards are just so crazy as a concept. a reclusive pop star just decides who to give money to bc she feels like it, and that's just a part of the greater landscape of the show now. hilarious.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Metis of the Hallway posted:

lol too bad for cassidy I guess

edit: the sia awards are just so crazy as a concept. a reclusive pop star just decides who to give money to bc she feels like it, and that's just a part of the greater landscape of the show now. hilarious.

It's maybe not as bad as CBS making up a fan favorite award so they could give Rupert a million bucks :lol:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Can you guess who this scammer drama is about before clicking on this reddit link? The answer will be extremely unsurprising.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I took 3 guesses and only needed one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also got it in one

gently caress that guy for using the jay briscoe tag to try and get more views on his tweet though I'm glad he got scammed

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

How sad that he's doing that for $50 a pop. Granted Sandra tried to do NFTs, but yeah no wonder they're labeled as villains.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

nice, that guy also posted on twitter and is absolutely getting taken by a host of scammy reply bots

https://twitter.com/farmer_beet/status/1615535558247284738

part of me wants to say something but like, some folks just gotta learn for themselves

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I saw this yesterday and I still honestly thought Studio's post was gonna be about some new bodily fluid Rodney wants you to drink

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Well, okay. Have a Rodney Update

:siren:

:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is russell out of money or something? i thought he was supposed to be rich