Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Studio posted:

What the!! I checked last Wednesday and was super in last, but it's possible that they distributed points incorrectly, which is uhh, possible and has happened before.

Yeah idk I went from 4 after the episode aired to 9 now. Idk if they made adjustments or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

IcePhoenix posted:

cbs.com has the episodes up by thursday morning free to watch and they stay free for about a month

e: I suppose this probably does not work outside of america, if that is your location

Canada, but also I know how to :filez: so that wasn't actually stopping me, it was just a slight bit of friction that made it easier to drift away from the show. One of the things keeping me watching in the first place was a housemate saying "Survivor's on tonight" every week and having other stuff to do at 8 on Wednesdays lead to me dropping it.

But also it was the bad gimmicks and underlying racism and sexism on the show that drove me away. Maybe I'm not the only one? Two pages of posts for the season opener seems very low.

But yeah that's why I mentioned checking who won the seasons I missed, and it looks like the casting is far more diverse.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

41 might be better watched knowing who wins from the start. I maintain that jobs should've been lost from purposely editing your winner to get less screen time than a winner who purposely gave production as little as possible to use.

42 is good all around and great postmerge.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

After logging and reviewing myself at first: The tribal-council system is cool and good and not bad in anyway.

nexous posted:

Yeah idk I went from 4 after the episode aired to 9 now. Idk if they made adjustments or what

Saw this at the bottom of the page

quote:

GAME UPDATE

PLEASE NOTE: We have fixed an issue where Baka received too many points in the first episode. Everything should be scored correctly now, but please contact us through the support link if you see anything out of place! Thanks.

Also, lolling that Adam Klein is on the front page of tribal-council.com . That dude grabbed on hard to reality tv fame and I've seen enough reality shows to never trust the people that do.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Canada, but also I know how to :filez: so that wasn't actually stopping me, it was just a slight bit of friction that made it easier to drift away from the show. One of the things keeping me watching in the first place was a housemate saying "Survivor's on tonight" every week and having other stuff to do at 8 on Wednesdays lead to me dropping it.

But also it was the bad gimmicks and underlying racism and sexism on the show that drove me away. Maybe I'm not the only one? Two pages of posts for the season opener seems very low.

But yeah that's why I mentioned checking who won the seasons I missed, and it looks like the casting is far more diverse.

So, there was a CBS Diversity Pledge that pushed "we're going to have at least 50% POC in our reality shows." The result has been pretty solid and has done nothing but make the show better, imo. The show can still be not great about tackling issues, but I think it's closer to "messy and hard to due in the limited showtime" versus "Our Theme this Season is Race Wars."

There's some more history to the pledge, since I believe it was proposed by Big Brother players with support of contestants from other shows, but it was only 25% and CBS actually doubled it in response.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lone Goat posted:

You're not wrong. I got fed up with the show around the time of Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers, and Worlds Apart when the blatant sexism and production interference was at its peak. I checked out for several seasons, and then later went back and watched the seasons I missed. Of them, Millenials v Gen X was very good, Ghost Island not so much.

I don't know how long you checked out, but season 38 David vs Goliath is easily one of the top 5 best seasons of all time, and definitely worth watching. It's currently on Netflix. Season 39 Island of the Idols is a strong contender for one of the top 5 worst seasons of all time.

Season 41 and 42 were good, not great. The people I wanted to win didn't make it to the final 3, but the winners were satisfying. The biggest pros of those seasons were the casts, but the biggest drawbacks were the needlessly complicated gimmicks, game-breaking twists, and Jeff thinking he needed to over explain very basic aspects of the game like it was season 1.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Studio posted:

Survivor 41 is so frustrating, because I actually love the characters and think the Winner's storyline was great.

Except that's all purpled and they spent a lot of time overexplaining irrelevant twists. Brad having a boring boot episode is a tragedy.

Sighence posted:

41 might be better watched knowing who wins from the start. I maintain that jobs should've been lost from purposely editing your winner to get less screen time than a winner who purposely gave production as little as possible to use.
I think about Fishbach saying "X can't win because they would never edit a winner like that after years of criticism" a lot.

Casting has been really good. I hope 42 holds up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

42 is a good time

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

oh I meant 43. 42 was good.

Bring back the auction season names I won't gently caress up.
Also the auction.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

You're not wrong. I got fed up with the show around the time of Heroes vs Healers vs Hustlers, and Worlds Apart when the blatant sexism and production interference was at its peak. I checked out for several seasons, and then later went back and watched the seasons I missed. Of them, Millenials v Gen X was very good, Ghost Island not so much.

I don't know how long you checked out, but season 38 David vs Goliath is easily one of the top 5 best seasons of all time, and definitely worth watching. It's currently on Netflix. Season 39 Island of the Idols is a strong contender for one of the top 5 worst seasons of all time.

Season 41 and 42 were good, not great. The people I wanted to win didn't make it to the final 3, but the winners were satisfying. The biggest pros of those seasons were the casts, but the biggest drawbacks were the needlessly complicated gimmicks, game-breaking twists, and Jeff thinking he needed to over explain very basic aspects of the game like it was season 1.

I only skipped 41 and 42. I did watch David v Goliath and saw Johnny Mundo Hennigan at a wrestling show a little after it aired, and I was too shy to ask him if Taya Valkyrie (his now-wife, fiancee at the time of taping) was going to be his Loved One. Big regret.

39 being a total gross out with that lovely pervert who wouldn't stop touching women, and 40 with Redemption Island bullshit are the key parts of what caused me to stop watching.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lone Goat posted:

39 being a total gross out with that lovely pervert who wouldn't stop touching women, and 40 with Redemption Island bullshit are the key parts of what caused me to stop watching.

And to think that 39 just kept on getting worse after the show. Apparently after the show, the only person to stand by Kellee's side was Vince, the entire rest of the cast of the show were solidly team Dan insisting he did nothing wrong. They wanted to issue a statement at the reunion in support of him, which CBS absolutely refused their request. The rest of the cast all continue to interact with Dan apparently, but Vince and Kellee have been completely ostracized.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

And to think that 39 just kept on getting worse after the show. Apparently after the show, the only person to stand by Kellee's side was Vince, the entire rest of the cast of the show were solidly team Dan insisting he did nothing wrong. They wanted to issue a statement at the reunion in support of him, which CBS absolutely refused their request. The rest of the cast all continue to interact with Dan apparently, but Vince and Kellee have been completely ostracized.

Even Karishma??? :ohdear: :ohdear:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Studio posted:

Even Karishma??? :ohdear: :ohdear:

If I remember correctly, everybody.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Lone Goat posted:

(Also Survivor was on at the same time as AEW Dynamite and a pinball league I played in at the time)

drat i can't believe i'm not the only one who has had to choose between going to play at pinball league night and watching survivor lol. it's the reason i missed S42

Nihonniboku posted:

Jeff thinking he needed to over explain very basic aspects of the game like it was season 1.

to give jeff a little credit which i absolutely hate to do under any circumstances, he did foreshadow this in the premiere when he says "Survivor 41, drop the 4, keep the 1" and gave the whole spiel about returning to the show's roots

barnold fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 29, 2022

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
That was a fun twist on the beware advantage.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Studio posted:

Also, lolling that Adam Klein is on the front page of tribal-council.com . That dude grabbed on hard to reality tv fame and I've seen enough reality shows to never trust the people that do.

???

It's clearly a cameo video???

good episode, I LOVE the beads update to the beware advantage, crazy that Cody actually managed to get em

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
can we rename this thread the Pineapple Zone

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

no because i want to tell lie

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

curiousCat posted:

???

It's clearly a cameo video???

good episode, I LOVE the beads update to the beware advantage, crazy that Cody actually managed to get em

https://adamklein.com/

It's not as bad as like, Jesse from 90-days, but reality tv person turned Casting Coach and Motivational Speaker is always very :thunk:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wait is this show always 90 minutes now?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They have a select number of 90 minute episodes here and there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

Wait is this show always 90 minutes now?

when it was 8:50 and they switched the narrative from the tribe that lost immunity to Baka, i thought we were about to see a medivac

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bead advantage was fun and funny, the way they edited the fakeout was really lame imo

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ninjahedgehog posted:

Bead advantage was fun and funny, the way they edited the fakeout was really lame imo
agree

I don't mind a fun edit twist at all and think that can be pretty cool, but in this case the reveal was just "Hey again we are asking for some beads" "fine ok"

like....... ??? I'm sure it was actually very suspenseful last second scrambling for real but as a reveal it was extremely flat. Not to mention since Justine and Noelle were splitting votes it didn't actually even matter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't understand the scoring on the tribal council page at all I wish there was an easier way to see how my team scored per episode.

Also I looked at their timeline of points and Dwight got double dinged for losing his vote??? He got a -3 last episode when it happened but his team didn't go to tribal then they gave him -3 again this episode when they did.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Maybe I missed something but I'm not sure why Justine and Noelle split their votes

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Lone Goat posted:

GlobalTV puts up each episode for free for a week. Comes out next day. Its how im following.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

mp5 posted:

Maybe I missed something but I'm not sure why Justine and Noelle split their votes

Did they say who the decoy vote was on? If they told Nneka to vote Cody and she played along the vote goes 3 for Nneka (one of them plus Jesse, Cody) and 2 for Cody, and if Nneka is immune they get Cody. If she doesn't play along and votes Justine it's goes 3-1-1 and they get Cody in the revote if Nneka is immune.

OR

Same plan but Jesse is on Cody and it goes 3-2 Cody over Nneka or 2 Nneka 2 Cody 1 Justine and a revote cleans up again.

Way overplayed really, but both plans blow up if Cody Nneka Jesse are aligned, and I think are safe if only one doesn't vote with the girls (unless the defector also has an idol lmao I have no clue at this point)?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

mp5 posted:

It was a bit of a mess, but I believe they also thought Jesse was voting with them and that Nneka would play for safety and possibly lose her vote.

I'm not sure it 100% makes sense, but with votes possibly not happening and people being safe, it makes vote splitting and potential revote needs more difficult to figure out.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

GlobalTV puts up each episode for free for a week. Comes out next day. Its how im following.

Oh I have a DVR, it was mostly 85% not caring about the show and 15% slight inconvenience, though I didn’t know about Global, thanks for the tip!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, here's what was publicly known: Dwight didn't have a vote, Nneka and Cody were a pair,
Here's what they thought they had: Noelle, Justine, and Jesse splitting 2-1 against a duo of 2
How that could maybe make sense: Won't do anything in the case of an idol, but in the case of a shot in the dark, Nneka has no vote so if the shot in the dark hits this comes out 2-1-1 and wipes out Cody on the revote

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mechanically, how is Shot in the Dark played? Do you tell Jeff you're taking a shot before votes are cast? After votes are cast but before they are read? Inside the voting booth??

Also when is the dieroll/whatever to see if you're immune or not?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

IIRC you draw a roll of paper from the pot in the voting booth, bring it back to your chair, and then play it when Jeff asks for idols.

The dice analogy is misleading, it's actually 12 of pieces of paper in a jar, with 2 that say SAFE on them

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I wonder if they avoid showing a dice roll to ignore contestant rigging and to avoid depicting gambling

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Studio posted:

I wonder if they avoid showing a dice roll to ignore contestant rigging and to avoid depicting gambling

An actual dice roll just wouldn't make sense, at least for how they setup playing the shot in the dark when voting and then revealing the results after everyone voted.

The dice is just a token and a representation of the odds of it succeeding. Also from https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Shot_in_the_Dark, it seems they didn't bump the scrolls in the bag up to 12 until the players merged. Even then though I'm not sure why they wouldn't just keep it at 6, and maybe swap out the bag if for some reason more than 6 people wanted to play the shot in the dark at the same tribal. Seems like there would be basically no chance that would ever happen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Having an actual dice roll could also lead to the unlikely, but still possible scenario of *everybody* at a given tribal council having immunity.

For example IIRC last season when Drea and Marianne had their dramatic double idol play, Jonathan had an immunity necklace so only Tori and Lindsay were eligible to be voted off. If they both played their shots and won, there's a 1 in 36 chance nobody goes home

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Can anyone help me understand if the whole “deceptive editing” thing where they deliberately mislead or withhold info from the viewer to make certain moments more dramatic is a recent thing or is that just in my head?

I’ve been watching for a long time but I really can’t think of examples before the recent 3-4 seasons where they would pull the kind of thing they did with Cody and Noelle and the beads.

Im not a fan of them sending the episodes to tribal with these manufactured cliffhangers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I liked the way they did it with Naseer and his catchphrase idol. This one was stupid though, especially because his vote didn't matter. The time would have been better used showing us why the votes got split that way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pandaal posted:

Can anyone help me understand if the whole “deceptive editing” thing where they deliberately mislead or withhold info from the viewer to make certain moments more dramatic is a recent thing or is that just in my head?

I’ve been watching for a long time but I really can’t think of examples before the recent 3-4 seasons where they would pull the kind of thing they did with Cody and Noelle and the beads.

Im not a fan of them sending the episodes to tribal with these manufactured cliffhangers.
its been done a couple of times in the past in micronesia and philippines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

It can work. The Genius thread can tell you about all the Extreme Ways it gets used, but yeah it definitely did not work here.