Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
For those unaware, about 5 days ago Iran's Moral Police arrested a woman for violating the Hijab laws. She was hospitalized and died.

Since then, there's been an outbreak in massive protests driven by both her death, anger at the theocratic Iranian Government, and anger over immense economical pressure that has built up around the Revolutionary Government.

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1572350814882267137?s=20&t=c7DtOFrvnavUA9jI6XEpYQ
Women are burning their Hijabs and dancing, men are protesting and changing for Khomeni to die, the riot police and moral police are being charged and attacked by massive protests.

https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1571954828741410823?s=20&t=c7DtOFrvnavUA9jI6XEpYQ

This is the largest outbreak of protests in a long time, and one of the first times in ages that people have been willing to confront the Regime police.

This is an ongoing event but its likely to make history, hopefully for the better.

https://twitter.com/AsaadHannaa/status/1571959059439390722?s=20&t=c7DtOFrvnavUA9jI6XEpYQ
https://twitter.com/rom_over/status/1572652633827037189?s=20&t=c7DtOFrvnavUA9jI6XEpYQ

Iran has a large and young educated population that do not share the strongly conservative views of the older Revolutionary age population and its contributing heavily to this.

:siren: BE AWARE: There are graphic images from these protests, DO NOT POST THEM HERE without spoiler tags and :nms: :nws: tags! Same rules that the Ukraine thread is following :siren: If you don't you will get probed.
Spoiler tags:
code:
 [spoiler][/spoiler] 
:siren:MOD UPDATE WITH THREAD RULES :siren:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

Be respectful to your fellow poster: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives or friends in Iran, or be from there themselves. As such, emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations, because you may not know what they're feeling.

No slapfighting: - We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for that.

NWS images: Prior protests played out on social media, this one looks to be no different. There may even me more social media sharing as the government tries to crack down on various communication channels. Before you post please consider the below questions:

1) Is this newsworthy?
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and when to break embeds

- Non-graphic protests including property damage, some streetfighting or police violence can be embedded but please include content warnings when they are appropriate
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning
- Anything gory or has visible death is to be linked - NOT embedded. Include :nms: tags if you aren't sure if something is OK.
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Anything you think doesn’t fall into these rules but should be linked, do it. No harm in a precautionary measure
- I hope this doesn't come up in this thread but just in case: Videos of torture/mutilation of civilians, government officials, or police are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and may pay 10 dollars. News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings.
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation.

Don't be weird and racist/anti-Islamic against anyone: this should be self-explanatory. Some people may ask questions in an awkward way and I would ask that some leeway be granted for lack of cultural context, but if questionable behavior continues after explanations for why something is unacceptable it will be dealt with.

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. Also, because I know this is going to come up someday, if there is a conflict with these rules or the main rules thread, the main rules thread supersedes all others.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The ayatollah must be stopped

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The ayatollah must be stopped

Ayatollah Assaholla.

But seriously this is encouraging to see. I mean not just for Iran, but Syria and Lebanon among others. It already seems far more violent then any recent protests in mind, in terms of things being said and done.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ayatollah Assaholla.

But seriously this is encouraging to see. I mean not just for Iran, but Syria and Lebanon among others. It already seems far more violent then any recent protests in mind, in terms of things being said and done.

A destabilized Iran is bad news for Syria and Lebanon, see ISIS and Turkey. The old guard in Iran needs to do reforms fast or the region is going to be even more permanently hosed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

War and Pieces posted:

A destabilized Iran is bad news for Syria and Lebanon, see ISIS and Turkey. The old guard in Iran needs to do reforms fast or the region is going to be even more permanently hosed

I mean, kind of. Iran has the benefit of a LOT of highly educated and fairly liberal younger generation that hasn't bought into the theocracy that Syria and Lebanon suffered from.

I'm just hoping these protests are not just a temporary thing, either the Government does reforms to calm them down or something needs to give. The Iranian populace is tired of this poo poo.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
This should be a wake-up call for all muslim women in western countries who think they're wearing the hijab of their own free will. Just try not wearing it and see where that gets you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yaldabaoth posted:

This should be a wake-up call for all muslim women in western countries who think they're wearing the hijab of their own free will. Just try not wearing it and see where that gets you.

Thats kind of oversimplifying it a bit: There's plenty of religious sects on all sides that have stuff like that. Its whether you have a Morality Police that enforce it that makes it suspect. Efforts to force Muslims not to wear hijabs are not the solution.

I'm assuming poo poo like this is why you have a Jordan Peterson av?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ayatollah Assaholla.

Protests in 2009 were plenty big and got violent (though they got so more gradually), but yeah this seems bigger. I have to confess to being a pessimist here though because this is far from the first time tensions have bubbled over in Iran, even though this is big, and all of the previous attempts have been met with the same hope at the initial coverage and photos and then the state beats heads, and perhaps more importantly shuts the protesters off from outside information, from protests in other cities and regions and from the world's attention.

And while this isn't wrong

CommieGIR posted:

Iran has a large and young educated population that do not share the strongly conservative views of the older Revolutionary age population and its contributing heavily to this.

I feel like it's a thing that's often oversimplified in quick analyses as to how significant it is, young people are not a monolithic group, the largest cohort is not university-aged students but 30-40 year olds, and more than 40 % of Iran's population is still rural and largely rather poor. That said, dissatisfaction with the regime does appear to be widespread, but the thing to keep in mind is that the regime has plenty of guys on their side willing to shoot and bash skulls, and they've done so many times before and now have more than a decade of experience helping to prop up Assad in Syria (Iran's part in that is way too often neglected or downplayed compared to that of Russia) in using exceedingly brutal means to crush dissent and active revolt.

I just don't know.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

I feel like it's a thing that's often oversimplified in quick analyses as to how significant it is, young people are not a monolithic group, the largest cohort is not university-aged students but 30-40 year olds, and more than 40 % of Iran's population is still rural and largely rather poor. That said, dissatisfaction with the regime does appear to be widespread, but the thing to keep in mind is that the regime has plenty of guys on their side willing to shoot and bash skulls, and they've done so many times before and now have more than a decade of experience helping to prop up Assad in Syria (Iran's part in that is way too often neglected or downplayed compared to that of Russia) in using exceedingly brutal means to crush dissent and active revolt.

I just don't know.

True. Like I said, I don't know if this will result in real change, but drat if it doesn't appear to be a bunch of people who are fed up taking real action.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, kind of. Iran has the benefit of a LOT of highly educated and fairly liberal younger generation that hasn't bought into the theocracy that Syria and Lebanon suffered from.

Since when have either Syria or Lebanon had theocracies? Part of the "appeal" (especially to Westerners trying to whitewash the loving thing) of Assad's rime is that it is secular, before 2011 it was often highlighted and praised for its modernity and progressive image (important to emphasize that image part though probably).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yaldabaoth posted:

Uhm...what the gently caress is this racist bullshit? Every woman I know who is in the US and chooses to wear a hijab knows that she is going to face more discrimination and be under greater threat because she made that choice, and chooses to do so in spite of that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao have you read that clowns posts anywhere else?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LanceHunter posted:

Uhm...what the gently caress is this racist bullshit? Every woman I know who is in the US and chooses to wear a hijab knows that she is going to face more discrimination and be under greater threat because she made that choice, and chooses to do so in spite of that.

Like I said, there's a reason he likely has a Jordan Peterson av.

Randarkman posted:

Since when have either Syria or Lebanon had theocracies? Part of the "appeal" (especially to Westerners trying to whitewash the loving thing) of Assad's rime is that it is secular, before 2011 it was often highlighted and praised for its modernity and progressive image (important to emphasize that image part though probably).

Syria prior to the 2011 Constitutional changes was Ba'athist. And while Assad claims to be secular, the Islamic Law parts remain in the constitution.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 21, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'm assuming poo poo like this is why you have a Jordan Peterson av?

lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ayatollah Assaholla.

"Ayatollah Assaholla, give me the formuolla"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Like I said, there's a reason he likely has a Jordan Peterson av.

Syria prior to the 2011 Constitutional changes was Ba'athist. And while Assad claims to be secular, the Islamic Law parts remain in the constitution.

Ba'athism is not a religion. Also, almost all Islamic countries have some Islamic law or laws derived from Islamic law in their law codes, especially in family and inheritance law. That does not make them theocracies. Whether or not a country in the Middle East is bad or not is not really strictly related to whether or not they have expunged all of Islam from their constitutions or not. In fact I'd argue that a big and distressing problem for the Arab Middle East in particular and part of why Islamism in all its varieties has the appeal it has in large part comes down to just how loving wretched almost all of those secular regimes have been.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Ba'athism is not a religion. Also, almost all Islamic countries have some Islamic law or laws derived from Islamic law in their law codes, especially in family and inheritance law. That does not make them theocracies. Whether or not a country in the Middle East is bad or not is not really strictly related to whether or not they have expunged all of Islam from their constitutions or not. In fact I'd argue that a big and distressing problem for the Arab Middle East in particular and part of why Islamism in all its varieties has the appeal it has in large part comes down to just how loving wretched almost all of those secular regimes have been.

Its not, but it tends to coincide with a lot of Islamic law stuff.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

LanceHunter posted:

OK, my comment was very stupid but I just dislike any religion that forces women to wear certain clothing for the sake of modesty, especially if the men are still free to wear whatever they want.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yaldabaoth posted:

OK, my comment was very stupid but I just dislike any religion that forces women to wear certain clothing for the sake of modesty, especially if the men are still free to wear whatever they want.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

You could say the same thing about wearing pants

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

"Up yours woke moralists, we'll see who cancels whose haircuts!"

https://twitter.com/krisnova/status/1572674797771034624?s=20&t=MvPoKZt8CsvrO6xicLxpoQ

Crackdowns are likely to start.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 21, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry people of Iran, Ol' Musky is going to save you with Starlink!

Devils Affricate posted:

You could say the same thing about wearing pants

You could, and you'd be correct

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, this is looking familiar :smith:

I'll probably nope out of following and posting on this going forwards until things seem to be heading a certain way, because I don't think people need me being pessimistic about this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The modern police state has made appeasing the people obsolete

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

do we all have to turn our facebook profile pictures green again? that seems like a hassle, but I will do it if it will overthrow the government of Iran

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

do we all have to turn our facebook profile pictures green again? that seems like a hassle, but I will do it if it will overthrow the government of Iran

You were supposed to delete your facebook account

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Reza Pahlavi is tanned, rested, and ready.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

You were supposed to delete your facebook account

i keep it active for when it's time to make important political statements by way of lovely photo filters

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think they should not have killed the woman

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

i keep it active for when it's time to make important political statements by way of lovely photo filters

who are you upset at?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Persian food is delicious and I wish the Iranians the best in their rioting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

i think they should not have killed the woman

let's be fair - none of us know exactly the extent to which she was exposing her hair so let's not rush to judgement

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/APkwrqD.mp4

They’re very brave.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

gently caress SNEEP posted:

who are you upset at?

slacktivists I guess

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/phdOnKG.mp4

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it not wearing the hijab properly? I read about some women having different hairstyles that stick out a bit. Did they really kill her over a braid or a some bangs? :smith:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I apologize for duplicating a post I just made in D&D, but I'm eager to learn more about what's going on in Iran.

From what I understand, while the conventional military is probably more sympathetic to the Iranian people, the Revolutionary Guards and associated thugs are pretty united and have all the best weapons and tools for violence. Corruption has helped keep them wealthy too, so there isn't a lot of major factional disputes among the mullahs.

This isn't like 1979 where the Shah wasn't decisive enough to repress protests quickly enough before discontent spread in the army. I fear a lot of these protestors are going to die and there's not much any foreign country can do to help them out because no alternative leadership is in the country to supplant the IRI. Anything resembling regime change is a pipe dream.

I'd love for any Iran experts here to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I wish to apologize for my previous comment. I let my emotions get the better of me and tried to condemn the entire religion.

This whole situation is still royally hosed though.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Has anyone made the ayatollah assahola joke yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Eric Cantonese posted:

I apologize for duplicating a post I just made in D&D, but I'm eager to learn more about what's going on in Iran.

From what I understand, while the conventional military is probably more sympathetic to the Iranian people, the Revolutionary Guards and associated thugs are pretty united and have all the best weapons and tools for violence. Corruption has helped keep them wealthy too, so there isn't a lot of major factional disputes among the mullahs.

This isn't like 1979 where the Shah wasn't decisive enough to repress protests quickly enough before discontent spread in the army. I fear a lot of these protestors are going to die and there's not much any foreign country can do to help them out because no alternative leadership is in the country to supplant the IRI. Anything resembling regime change is a pipe dream.

I'd love for any Iran experts here to correct me if I'm wrong.

im no expert but as far as foreign relations, i think theres a big dumb feedback loop between the repressive government + Revolutionary Guard doing their thing, and then every X amount of years the Republicans here in America reinvigorate the "bomb Iran" sentiment and the people of Iran feel scared and the right-wing hardliners in their country get support.

tearing up the Iran deal was probably one of the worst long term decisions the pasty asshats of the Republican party came up with under Trump. of course leave it to those provincial putzes to target the country with probably the most non-Islamic identity in their Christloving holy war.

i really wanted to travel to Iran one day, my best friend is Persian.