Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gently caress the police (in iran)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
My heart is with the people of Iran. I do hope that the kids protesting are using covid safety protocols such as wearing a face covering. I fear for the women burning their hijabs, it would be better to burn government property instead.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

20 Blunts posted:

tearing up the Iran deal was probably one of the worst long term decisions the pasty asshats of the Republican party came up with under Trump. of course leave it to those provincial putzes to target the country with probably the most non-Islamic identity in their Christloving holy war.

What does this even mean? This kind of stuff annoys me and I don't know how to take it. Islam is an important part of Iranian culture as in most cultures in the Middle East, but like other cultures it also has its own unique traits and history. "the most non-islamic identity", I honestly kind of hate takes like that, because I don't know what you mean and honestly it's the kind of poo poo that just sounds incredibly loving dismissing towards other Middle Eastern and Islamic cultures, and often seems to especially want to bring up the Arab Middle East as a counterpart.

You'll have to excuse me, but gently caress off with that.

e: Not strictly related, but it also bears mentioning that something like 40% of Iran is non-Persian.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 22, 2022

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

It's not so much that Iranians are less Islamic than their neighbours, but rather that a large chunk of the population have syncretised their faith into a secular belief system more compatible with western liberalism. I'm sure the vast majority of those woman burning hijabs consider themselves to be devout Muslims. I don't think atheists make up a very large chunk of the population there. Islam is a religion with a lot of competing tendencies with very different interpretations of how people are supposed to live their lives. The lack of a central authority like the Catholic church to police what is and isn't proper has left a lot of room for competing groups to come up with their own version of what a Muslim is supposed to be.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

It's not so much that Iranians are less Islamic than their neighbours, but rather that a large chunk of the population have syncretised their faith into a secular belief system more compatible with western liberalism.

More compatible than what? This kind of "inherent cultural compatibility" thing typically reeks to me, implying that some countries are more receptive to or deserving of representative and/or secular systems of government than others.

e: More on topic as I can't really keep away from this, but don't really use twitter myself. Has there been any more news out yesterday or today? Or are the protests being cut off? I saw one notice about anonymous doing their usual thing, claiming to have shut down government media and suggesting that people use TOR, but that's all the recent stuff I've seen trickling in in normal news.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 22, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good luck to those brave bastards. The odds are against them.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Randarkman posted:

More compatible than what? This kind of "inherent cultural compatibility" thing typically reeks to me, implying that some countries are more receptive to or deserving of representative and/or secular systems of government than others.

Than whatever they are doing in Saudi Arabia for one. Not that it's about "inherent cultural compatibility" as you put it. Rather the current system of government in Saudi Arabia is a result of a very active, century old, project to shape the state along ideological lines that uses a particular interpretation Islam to justify a totalitarian, and fundamentally illiberal form of government. Iran's government also is based on an ideology that uses a version of Islam to justify it's power, albeit in a very different way to Saudi Arabia. But it seems to face far more pushback from its domestic populace.

I wasn't trying to imply that Islam is somehow unique compared to other religions in its capacity to be coopted by autocratic governments. My point was that it comprises such a broad school of different beliefs that describing different political tendencies as somehow more or less Islamic than each other doesn't really make sense.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This is incredible and I hope that some real reforms can come from this.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Is it not wearing the hijab properly? I read about some women having different hairstyles that stick out a bit. Did they really kill her over a braid or a some bangs? :smith:

There is a specific hijab the moral police want you to wear, so you can still be wearing a (wrong) hijab but they can pick you up if they feel like it. Apparently the 'correct' hijab isn't really that common and it's down to bad luck if they decide to go after you.

Also: this is just me taking what was said on BBC at face value when they interviewed someone from a human rights watch group familiar with the matter. I'm no expert

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

The people in Iran are the most welcoming I've met literally anywhere. They also universally hated the dictatorship and the enforced social norms. Partial picture as I havent spent much time in rural areas, but still. I really, really hope they get their way this time.

Refried Noodle fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2022

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember seeing an imgur album of images from pre-revolution Iran, and it was startling how similar-looking to 1970s America and Europe the country and its populace looked after only knowing of it as a dictatorship for so long. It wasn't even 50 years ago; people are still alive that remember this time period. This isn't the album I'm looking for, but it shows exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Maybe it can happen again.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Iran in here for some hot takes

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If Iran wanted to be more modern they’d be called Irun

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinking abouyt that chun guy that stopped posting a while back and his very beautiful iranian boss. i wonder how she is doing

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FPzero posted:

I remember seeing an imgur album of images from pre-revolution Iran, and it was startling how similar-looking to 1970s America and Europe the country and its populace looked after only knowing of it as a dictatorship for so long. It wasn't even 50 years ago; people are still alive that remember this time period. This isn't the album I'm looking for, but it shows exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Maybe it can happen again.

You do know those pictures are also from a brutal and hated dictatorship right? The difference between then and now isn't whether you had a dictatorship or not.

el dingo posted:

There is a specific hijab the moral police want you to wear, so you can still be wearing a (wrong) hijab but they can pick you up if they feel like it. Apparently the 'correct' hijab isn't really that common and it's down to bad luck if they decide to go after you.

Also: this is just me taking what was said on BBC at face value when they interviewed someone from a human rights watch group familiar with the matter. I'm no expert

The way I've seen it in the articles about her death it wasn't the wrong type of headdress but supposedly how she wore it. Remember that "hijab" doesn't really refer to a garment but to a style of dress in line with (interpretations of) Islamic modesty. For a long while women in Iran have often worn their headscarves rather far back, often exposing a good deal of the front of their hair (but still covering the neck and shoulders), and often in bright colors and patterns.
Until pretty recently this style though it was often criticized by conservatives it was not really legally restricted as some previous governments had somewhat relaxed at least the enforcement of rules, and soit was generally socially acceptable and safe and has been for something like 2 decades, then again recently with the new more conservative government enforcement has been re-emphasized and the morality police have gotten bolder and more aggressive with this official backing.

Even if the authorities crush the demonstrations, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to back down a bit on the enforcement of "modest clothing", possibly even reprimanding or diminishing the authority of the morality police, in order to guarantee some order. Maybe. Though they would almost certainly wait a while before doing so, in order to not appear to give in to presssure.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 22, 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

If Iran wanted to be more modern they’d be called Irun

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the glamour photos are universally of urban peeps. rural peeps were wearing hijab and the like that whole time, a lot of it is continuing dominance of rurals over urban peeps enabled by the dominance of the oil industry over actually productive sectors, because you can be rural and uneducated and take oil earnings whereas if you're making machines or software or selling services you need to be educated, almost always in urban centers

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s called iran because when i saw how they treat women i turned 360 degrees and ran out

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

it’s called iran because when i saw how they treat women i turned 360 degrees and ran out

If you turn 360 degrees you'll still be facing the same direction. :nallears:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
moonwalking, i imagine

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the glamour photos are universally of urban peeps. rural peeps were wearing hijab and the like that whole time, a lot of it is continuing dominance of rurals over urban peeps enabled by the dominance of the oil industry over actually productive sectors, because you can be rural and uneducated and take oil earnings whereas if you're making machines or software or selling services you need to be educated, almost always in urban centers

It's also notable that you had similar trends in other countries in the Middle East and wider Islamic world at the same time, even in Saudi Arabia (IIRC it was really the aftermath of the grand mosque seizure in 1979 that really created what we today associate with Saudi Arabia) and Afghanistan (under Daoud Khan and also the Soviet-supported DRA). This was not some uniquely Iranian thing, and there is a tendency among many Iranian exiles and some Westerners who look at pictures like that without thinking of their context to idealize and whitewash the Shah's regime.

e: Anyway, asking again, is there any news anyone has seen or is there silence? Only thing I've seen is a repost of an AFP news notice that 31 people have been killed.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 22, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/omid9/status/1572654826047295488?s=20&t=HaooO2-YBd7RSv7f2mLjhA

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

McGavin posted:

uhh, it's basic geometry, if you turn 360 degrees you've gone all the way around :eng101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

McGavin posted:

Everyone look at this putz who never adds a spin move before moonwalking away from a situation

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bad Purchase posted:

uhh, it's basic geometry, if you turn 360 degrees you've gone all the way around :eng101:

I object to this. I don't know what it is but something is wrong with this explanation

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's probably because it's not to scale, i had to embiggen it to get the point across

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
He's out of line but he's right

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony being most members of rage would say this is American Imperialism against the Iranian government. :lol:

That video is ofc awesome as hell. Good for them showing that putz the finding out part.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

GABA ghoul posted:

I object to this. I don't know what it is but something is wrong with this explanation

the circle drawn has made this very clear

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Irony being most members of rage would say this is American Imperialism against the Iranian government. :lol:

That video is ofc awesome as hell. Good for them showing that putz the finding out part.

Would they though

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeti friend posted:

Would they though

Yes, they would. One of their dudes was pumping an NFT and retreating oh why all this money go to Ukraine we can solve everything at home with it horseshit.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Protests continue
https://twitter.com/ayatr0llah/status/1572939943856553984?s=20&t=Zn-QYuMWpNbgecrU44qYWQ
I'll try to start doing twitter summaries when I can

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KitConstantine posted:

Protests continue
https://twitter.com/ayatr0llah/status/1572939943856553984?s=20&t=Zn-QYuMWpNbgecrU44qYWQ
I'll try to start doing twitter summaries when I can

Please!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, they would. One of their dudes was pumping an NFT and retreating oh why all this money go to Ukraine we can solve everything at home with it horseshit.

I'm not seeing how these two positions are related, or how it generalizes to the entire group

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm not seeing how these two positions are related, or how it generalizes to the entire group

I don't like them, they must hate the things I like.

communism is not really too compatible w theocracy, opiate of the people and so on

What does that have to do with anything?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 22, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
communism is not really too compatible w theocracy, opiate of the people and so on

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Look sorry you liked them in High School, but they carry water for a ton of awful poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

cuz theyre communists

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cuz theyre communists

No, they’re capitalist morons who like to think they are something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cuz theyre communists

RatM? Okay. Though if they're pimping NFTs I don't know how ideologically compatible that is with communism either.

anyway. Maybe we should stop that derail.