Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Added rules to the op - reproduced below.

quote:

:siren:MOD UPDATE WITH THREAD RULES :siren:

This is not D&D: Normal GBS rules still apply. Some people may shitpost, some people may post interesting information, some may just be wondering what the hell is going on. These are all valid ways of posting. We're not going to be enforcing D&D style rules here.

Be respectful to your fellow poster: This is a fraught time for a lot of people. Some people may have relatives or friends in Iran, or be from there themselves. As such, emotions are running high. Please be mindful of other people's situations, because you may not know what they're feeling.

No slapfighting: - We'd ask that you take personal stock and see if you're getting way too invested in an online argument. If so, please step back for a bit. The thread will still be there when you cool down. Conversely, if someone does step back, cools down and comes back to the thread, do not renew the argument. You will get a probation for that.

NWS images: Prior protests played out on social media, this one looks to be no different. There may even me more social media sharing as the government tries to crack down on various communication channels. Before you post please consider the below questions:

1) Is this newsworthy?
2) Why am I posting this?
3) Does this advance the conversation in any way?
4) Has this been posted in the last few pages?

Notes on content warnings and when to break embeds

- Non-graphic protests including property damage, some streetfighting or police violence can be embedded but please include content warnings when they are appropriate
-- If it's something that would be shown on the 9pm news it's probably OK to leave off a content warning
- Anything gory or has visible death is to be linked - NOT embedded. Include :nms: tags if you aren't sure if something is OK.
- Always include a brief description with your link and just don’t spam poo poo. It doesn’t need to be a play by play but something someone can read and determine “I can handle that” or “yeah nah”
-- If you don't want the link to auto-embed, uncheck the "automatically parse URL" button below the text field.
- Anything you think doesn’t fall into these rules but should be linked, do it. No harm in a precautionary measure
- I hope this doesn't come up in this thread but just in case: Videos of torture/mutilation of civilians, government officials, or police are not to be posted or linked in the thread at any time for any reason. If you do you will be taking a long posting break and may pay 10 dollars. News coverage of same can be linked with appropriate content warnings.
- Failing to include content warnings and tags as appropriate is subject to probation.

Don't be weird and racist/anti-Islamic against anyone: this should be self-explanatory. Some people may ask questions in an awkward way and I would ask that some leeway be granted for lack of cultural context, but if questionable behavior continues after explanations for why something is unacceptable it will be dealt with.

Make use of the report button: With what's going on in the world, along with our personal and professional lives, we can't sit in threads and :f5: every minute of every day to make sure it's on track. We count on the community to help us out in this. We do take every report into consideration, and we would encourage you to use it if you think rules are being violated. Please don't report people who just disagree with you. That's petty and dumb.

These rules are subject to change, so please check back every so often. We want GBS to be a great community, even in the midst of all that's going on. Also, because I know this is going to come up someday, if there is a conflict with these rules or the main rules thread, the main rules thread supersedes all others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like it was posted around this morning, I think she's cutting her hair in a "don't tell me what to do" gesture

https://i.imgur.com/fuiRTuw.mp4

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like it was posted around this morning, I think she's cutting her hair in a "don't tell me what to do" gesture

https://i.imgur.com/fuiRTuw.mp4

I think the hair-cutting has been a thing that some women have done as a show of solidarity and middle finger to the regime from when this thing first blew up. Don't think I've seen one in public yet, but there's been pictures and videos of people doing it at home since the start.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7rNfXBS.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/a8SOXGo.mp4

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drat, that's actually beautiful in a way.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Randarkman posted:

The basis is Quran plus various traditions of hadiths for further elaboration. Sharia is Islamic law, according to that revealed in the Quran and also presented in the hadiths, however actually getting this into a workable legal system and moral code is more complicated which is why there's a difference between the ideal infallible Sharia and that which is put into practice according to interpretation and tradition, that's Fiqh.

So what you have are quranic verses that emphasize modesty and separation of the sexes, some more specific, some vaguer than others, then you also have a myriad of others, then these are interpreted into actual practice.

IIRC the verse most often cited is the one that mentions women draping a specific garment (the identity of which is often debated) about themselves to cover up some part of themselves and men not exposing their bellies or lower legs, something along those lines.

e: Question would it be better if the quran directly said to beat women who wear their headscarves too loose?

I actually wasn't being flippant or dismisive etc of anything. I have very little knowledge of how this all works. My apologises if I came across as something you didn't like. I appreciate the roll back in tone in later posts from you. I'll just throw in that I am an aethist and will never 'get' this fully.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tai posted:

I actually wasn't being flippant or dismisive etc of anything. I have very little knowledge of how this all works. My apologises if I came across as something you didn't like. I appreciate the roll back in tone in later posts from you. I'll just throw in that I am an aethist and will never 'get' this fully.

Sorry dude. I can't really excuse my tone, but I am sorry.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Sorry dude. I can't really excuse my tone, but I am sorry.

All love here my friend

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So has any CHUD trash in Congress tried to latch onto this yet? That’s always the worst part, even more then a Paul whose not named Rand.

maybe go to one of the 2 dozen us politics threads if that's what you want to complain about

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does anyone have any recommendations for Twitter accounts to follow?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

The CIA is probably amazed at naturally occurring developments and furiously taking notes.

Truth is, "leave a lovely system in place long enough and watch it collapse in on itself" will always be more impactful and organic, but it comes with the unpredictable length of time before it taps off.

Randarkman posted:

Funny thing, somewhat high fashion 19th and early 20th century Ottoman styles had the veil be basically transparent.

Transparent fabric back then was high quality and craftsmanship, conspicuous wealth. When you have that much money, you can do what you want.

Also I think the Ottoman Empire wasn't as murdery about dress code, but that's me talking out my rear end.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mistle posted:

Transparent fabric back then was high quality and craftsmanship, conspicuous wealth. When you have that much money, you can do what you want.

Also I think the Ottoman Empire wasn't as murdery about dress code, but that's me talking out my rear end.

I mean, outside of like relatively small things such city states like Florence under Savonarola (and that lasted all of 4 years) you aren't really gonna find any pre- or early 20th century society that aspired to or much less succeeded at imposing the kind of social control that even milder modern autocracies could accomplish.

Still dress code was definitely a thing, women in Ottoman cities did go around veiled, often heavily (though as you see, that veil might be transparent). Although its exact details were probably (I haven't looked into the specifics, likely gonna vary wildly within any country) far less exact and specific than what Iran, Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan operate with.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Wikipedia says that Iran is a pretty youthful country, all things considered. A huge portion of the population is between 20 and 45, and looking at these protest videos I can’t help but wonder if the death of Khamenei, at 83, would be an apt metaphor for the passing of the generational torch.

I leave it to the people who have actually lived there / know more to provide context, but I get the vibe that the old guard of the theocratic regime might have an unrealistic sense of how long it will outlast them at this point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Toxic Mental posted:

Also you know what's funny as gently caress, GOP freaks in America complain about Iran and poo poo, but that's their ideal country, a single theocratic autocracy with roving unmoderated religious cop gangs

That's straight up what they want the USA to be. You'd think they'd point at Iran like the left points at Norway or something as being a better version of this country

I mean obviously the people in Iran aren't the *correct* religion or skin tone, so that's a no-go. But on paper, you'd think, no?

too me, they are more jealous then anything.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Wikipedia says that Iran is a pretty youthful country, all things considered. A huge portion of the population is between 20 and 45, and looking at these protest videos I can’t help but wonder if the death of Khamenei, at 83, would be an apt metaphor for the passing of the generational torch.

I leave it to the people who have actually lived there / know more to provide context, but I get the vibe that the old guard of the theocratic regime might have an unrealistic sense of how long it will outlast them at this point.

i think if the regime doesn't implode because of this, it will either have to reform heavly to save itself from these protests coming every year OR it will implode bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/signalapp/status/1573096364128493569?s=46&t=1zbxT3xQ3Ka1guK-MjhmCA

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

God Iran falling apart and being Arab Springed into the 21st century would be a beautiful thing.
hopefully as Tunisia, and not as Libya.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
Here's some (poorly) translated tweets from 1500 Images, which posts a lot of protest videos:

"Mashhad [large religious city in the northeast], September 22nd, protests still continue but taking and sending videos has become very difficult"
https://twitter.com/1500tasvir/status/1573094892024340483

"Tehran, September 22nd, beating another agent of the Islamic Republic"
https://twitter.com/1500tasvir/status/1573041781079506944

"Kashmar [provincial capital in the northeast], September 22nd. People with empty hands are fighting a criminal government armed to the teeth."
https://twitter.com/1500tasvir/status/1573034802638454785

"10:15 Tabriz [large city in Iranian Azerbaijan] time. Internet [service] is weak. Some alleys have had the electricity intentionally cut off. People are hitting doors and walls with stones in hand. It's like the sound of a war drum. There's bright fire everywhere. The city is under martial rule. People are scared. Azerbaijan is awake tonight."
https://twitter.com/1500tasvir/status/1573023320370741248

"This video was taken tonight in Shiraz [large historical city in the south]. Islamic Republic forces, without justification, are dragging people out of their cars and beating them. And the world stays silent against these crimes. Curse your world and all your claims of human rights when you close your eyes to the lives of our dear people."
https://twitter.com/1500tasvir/status/1573038090771365894

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Glad to see younger generations not putting up with this.

Also total :lmao: at the dude slapping the woman, being surprised when other men check his bitch rear end and drag his rear end down via choke hold.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Apparently the internet is dead for real now. No one can communicate with anyone in the country even through encrypted methods. Even two Iranian numbers on WhatsApp can’t communicate with each other even if they’re both here in the states. No clue what the back end infrastructure of WhatsApp is and why that would occur.

Things are definitely bad right now

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They're really following their textbook here huh.. God.

Part of what has me scared is that I'm pretty sure this is kind of true

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think if the regime doesn't implode because of this, it will either have to reform heavly to save itself from these protests coming every year OR it will implode bad.

An thatd there is a more sickening option that rather than promise reforms, they might want to make an example. I don't know, probably, hopefully, not, but my mind kind of keeps wandering to Syria, maybe more specifically Hama in 82 than the civil war, but that's still a loving chilling thought and that basically coerced a generation of Syrians into terrified silence.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

down with the patriarchy

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigher posted:

Glad to see younger generations not putting up with this.

Also total :lmao: at the dude slapping the woman, being surprised when other men check his bitch rear end and drag his rear end down via choke hold.

That felt extremely good to watch…and rewatch.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

RE: loss of whatsapp/instagram/communication in Iran in general
https://twitter.com/netblocks/status/1573060372495491074?s=20&t=ZDrT1sDkPJBCVobMH49ywg

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This level of bravery is unreal. Completely speechless and equally terrified for their safety.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

They're really following their textbook here huh.. God.

Part of what has me scared is that I'm pretty sure this is kind of true

An thatd there is a more sickening option that rather than promise reforms, they might want to make an example. I don't know, probably, hopefully, not, but my mind kind of keeps wandering to Syria, maybe more specifically Hama in 82 than the civil war, but that's still a loving chilling thought and that basically coerced a generation of Syrians into terrified silence.

I mean the thing is using mass killings and terror poo poo can only work for so long before it implodes back on itself.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gresh posted:

down with the patriarchy

I hope this spirals into a full-on (nonviolent)(as much as possible at this point) revolution from the young people. These old clerical fucks that keep Iranian women stuck in the dark ages need to go and a new secular government system needs to be implemented.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean the thing is using mass killings and terror poo poo can only work for so long before it implodes back on itself.

Sadly. It's proven that "so long" is quite long.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Sadly. It's proven that "so long" is quite long.

i mean it worked for the shah until it didnt.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I feel like I hear about earth-shaking protests in Iran like every 4 months. Seem to be shooting to defeat the French for riot-loving.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The ruling class don't care, their lives are fine. Assad is comfortably trucking on with an empty shell of a country.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gresh posted:

down with the patriarchy

Inshallah.

And with these protesters, it could.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Violent unrest continues in Iran, state TV suggests 26 dead

quote:

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Protesters across Iran continued to clash violently with security forces early Friday following the death of a young woman in police custody, as Iranian state TV suggested the death toll from the unrest could be as high as 26, without offering details.

Although the scope of the protests across some dozen Iranian cities and towns remains unclear, the movement represents the widest unrest since 2019, when rights groups said hundreds of people were killed in a violent crackdown. Iran has also disrupted internet access to the outside world, according to internet traffic monitor Netblocks, and tightened restrictions on popular platforms used to organize rallies like Instagram and WhatsApp.

An anchor on state TV said late Thursday that 26 protesters and policemen had been killed since the protests erupted last Saturday after the funeral of the 22-year-old Mahsa Amini, without elaborating on how authorities reached that figure. He said official statistics would be released later, but in past times of turmoil the Iranian government has not offered official death tolls.

The unrest has killed at least 11 people according to a tally by The Associated Press, based on statements from state-run and semiofficial media. Most recently, the deputy governor of Qazvin, Abolhasan Kabiri, said that a citizen and paramilitary officer had been killed in unrest that rocked two cities in the northwestern province.
Quite a bit more here https://apnews.com/article/iran-middle-east-tehran-fe87c437becc7060075695b87e07a33d

I haven't seen any new videos on social media so it's possible they're blocking it even harder now, Netblocks's last tweet says some connectivity has been restored but it's from 15 hours ago.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I'm seeing tweets but you're right not much by way of video

Some still coming through depending on the account
https://twitter.com/FSeifikaran/status/1573277792053207045?t=X-7WisKAgF8t-1jyLWTAWA&s=19
Weirdly my phone isn't letting me copy the translation but it's flowers on the grave of someone killed at the protests yesterday

Regime-organized counter protests aren't going great
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/status/1573277567100002305?t=lDVkFKbvbRodPLoavwjvtQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1573273016825675776?t=ury8164jzmanVNCjiYnC7w&s=19
Crackdowns on reporters
https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1572955170585157632?t=4vYyOCtoMqcQCWuJgy7_5g&s=19
https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1573278139924586500?t=vSdb2uwWMe3AtOD4h_BfCQ&s=19

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, Iran seems much more glad to cut off internet to their people than Russia, I guess cause the latter would totally undermine it being all ok despite the mobilization.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

Yeah, Iran seems much more glad to cut off internet to their people than Russia, I guess cause the latter would totally undermine it being all ok despite the mobilization.

It's possibly due to protests being more common in Iran than in Russia to begin with, and this is basically the anti-protest strategy the Iranian state has been operating with for more than a decade at this point.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 23, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/TelegraphWorld/status/1573266963060621312

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah the kapos are out now. Push their poo poo in Iranians!

https://twitter.com/khars69/status/1573333367629971456?s=46&t=QmjiOx1s9XRDogjX-FV2kg

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Yes queen! Gender equality at last!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Oh god I’m going to see that from Tankies and mullah asslickers on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

More! Female! Regime! Enforcers!