Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The modern police state has made appeasing the people obsolete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean the thing is using mass killings and terror poo poo can only work for so long before it implodes back on itself.

The ruling class don't care, their lives are fine. Assad is comfortably trucking on with an empty shell of a country.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oooh I wonder what over? Interservice brawl or dare I say... political disagreement?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm only guessing, and the Saudi religious police may indeed be out of favour, but I massively doubt it is becoming more secular.

More likely we're looking at the dictator's big glitzy urban centre that he wants to turn into a tacky shithole like Dubai, where attractive international party boys and girls are kicked influencer money to stand around in swimsuits as extras for the lifestyle of the elite.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

2nd Amendment posted:

People who want to give the Shah smooches usually identify as Persian.

love 2 live in a theocratic hellscape as long as it owns a dictator who has been dead for decades

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Just gonna say it - theocratic oligarchy shouldn't be tolerated!

No that's imperialist, you have to respect that other people have other cultures, and by other people I mean a few thousand senile priests and bumpkin clan patriarchs who have the right to poo poo on everyone and everything.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol don't mind the brutal police state Che was a hero and the cops only hurt bad people as cops are wont, nothing to see here
:goonsay:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"unlawfully" as if a security state has any laws worth the name

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also Iran has a coherent national ideology, a sincere if evil political class, and would like to preserve itself as one of the leading non Western powers in the world. It can't do that if it goes on a free for all rampage gassing and bombing its own cities.

Syria is a desolated Russian puppet and Assad doesn't give a poo poo as long as his mansion gets its regular caviar delivery.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Do Iranian police and paramilitaries all live in barracks? Or do these people have to go home to houses and families among the proles where they can be reasoned with / intimidated?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

hello, fbi agents. welcome to the forums

It's true, coupons is an intelligence fishing operation

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

We find out if the upper middle class and their goons have been sufficiently decoupled from society to be willing to kill tens of thousands of people in metropolitan areas where they won't be able to avoid witnessing it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah sure let's get the UN human rights commission involved, one of them might be fined when they're 80.

Or you know, find them out of uniform and asleep and to be blunt perform a vigilante murder.

Unless they're making like Egypt and building a boondoggle fortress city for the military and elite

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Of course we'll do nothing, anything else would be an Imperialism and it is the sacred right of every sovereign geriatric boys' club to kill and maim within its own borders. That's what peace is!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean is it better - by which I mean a higher chance of success for the dissidents - for things to de-escalate and carry on as extraction of concessions, civil disobedience and intimidation of local officials? Because it seems there's no hope of winning an open fight and neither the regime nor the protestors want to have one.

That said I'm absolutely not one of the quisling bastards pontificating that the Iranians/Syrians/Libyans just need to spend another generation or two in slavery because they're ~not ready~ for democracy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

See that mountain bunker? You can go there!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gosh darn radicals who want to be allowed to show their hair in public and not make obeisance to a loving priest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Not quite the withdrawal he expected, hm 47?