Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My girlfriend is Persian/Kurdish and grew up in the same city Mahsa Amini was arrested and killed in. She participated in protests / civil disobedience when she still lived there and is still in contact via whatsapp with her friends who are still there. The internet outages have made it difficult to share media such as pictures / movies but it seems like encrypted text communication is still working, at least for now. While I've certainly learned a lot about Persian culture from her and her friends while we've been dating there's a lot I don't know, so if anyone has questions about the situation on the ground or the broader social context surrounding things I can ask her if anyone is interested. The one question I saw asked was about if there's any tangible figurehead or movement that the protest can solidify around to enact regime change, and it's something I've asked her about as well. As far as she knows there isn't any such thing, I'm guessing because the Iranian government has gotten very good at breaking any up that appear to be gaining traction.

As I've learned more about the society she came from I've gained a tremendous amount of respect for the bravery she's shown over the years standing up to these monsters. While I'm glad she's safe here in the states her and her friends all wish they could go back to join the protests. I hope this is finally the breaking point for the regime and these protests result in lasting reforms expanding the liberty of their people. I would love to one day be able to travel with her back to her home to experience all the good that exists there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently the internet is dead for real now. No one can communicate with anyone in the country even through encrypted methods. Even two Iranian numbers on WhatsApp can’t communicate with each other even if they’re both here in the states. No clue what the back end infrastructure of WhatsApp is and why that would occur.

Things are definitely bad right now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

GIrlfriend is texting me that Khamenei might be dead? There's some sort of 'death limbo' that he's in where his body hasn't been properly transferred back to Iran yet so it doesn't count, therefore it hasn't been publicly announced yet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Randarkman posted:

Heard from a (Norwegian) news report about a protest that was planned for this weekend in front of the embassy, mostly Kurds, becuase that's who's organized it, but also because Mahsa Amin had family here. Anyway the person who was interviewed said that Iran had (using drones and other means) recently carried out strikes against Kurdish refugee camps in Northern Iraq.

Looking that up, it seems like it's corroborated.

https://english.alaraby.co.uk/news/13-iranian-kurds-killed-northern-iraq-iranian-strikes

There’s protests organized all over the world today. I should have posted about them earlier itt. I was at the Pittsburgh protest downtown earlier a few hours ago. There will likely be more and I’ll post the deets here for anyone interested in participating

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I'm wondering if conceding the hijab issue will be enough to disarm things or if it will just embolden them more

edit: rereading his tweets i don’t think he’s conceding the issue at all

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah there’s a protest song that’s been played often at all the events i’ve been to and it’s not just about the hijab- it goes over all the grievances the people have with the government and there’s a lot of them. The hijab issue is what kicked things off but just like how it wasn’t JUST about the one woman being killed in custody it’s also not JUST the hijab. I’ve asked a few Persians about this and they agreed- it’s way past the point where just that one concession will be enough to satisfy them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Randarkman posted:

It's a small gripe, but maybe don't generalize Iranians as "Persians" (though I guess everyone you spoke to might have been)? Persians make up 60% of the population, and Persia is only a specific region in Southwestern Iran, the country is not Persia nor are all of its people Persians. The woman who was killed was Kurdish and the most significant demonstrations and clashes have been in Iranian Kurdistan, and abroad it seems the Iranian Kurdish diaspora have often taken a leading role in solidarity protests as well.

Everyone I speak to identifies as Persian but I also don’t know what the rules are. My girlfriend’s hometown is where this all kicked off and she refers to herself as Persian / Kurdish interchangeably. I’m well aware that the Kurdish region has been receiving the worst of this. Two of her friends are arab-Iranian and they refer to themselves as Persian as well. Maybe it’s just something they say to ignorant foreigners but i’ve never picked up on any of them taking issue with it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Social media people.

I guess the NYT has done one story and they are saying the unrest is because of the economy.

It’s not a wrong take but it’s certainly incomplete. Before these protests started I regularly heard about them talking about how insane food prices were getting back home and how hard it was to get any sort of well paying job unless you went into oil. Just like if you said these protests were ‘just’ about hijabs it’d be incomplete as well.

I also haven’t read the article so idk. If they were saying it was JUST economic factors with no mention of hijabs then that’s pretty terrible reporting but it’s also the NYT, what do you expect

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

protests continuing

https://twitter.com/KhosroKalbasi/status/1577277124037132288?s=20&t=e6BJRRjHRVsOhmPgqpeGpQ

https://twitter.com/hdagres/status/1577276850669248513?s=20&t=e6BJRRjHRVsOhmPgqpeGpQ

put behind a spoiler because it's a description of torture
https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1577249230535942144?s=20&t=e6BJRRjHRVsOhmPgqpeGpQ

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 4, 2022

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to a western audience there's probably some people out there who will knee-jerk 'oh wow how brave of you :jerkbag: ' to something like this

but holy poo poo this plus everything else we've been seeing is insanely brave

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress yeah hit them where it hurts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ekuNNN posted:

lol gross

come on, man

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I don’t have any social media accounts so no links but there’s lots of international protests happening today.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah same. i don't want to be asking my girlfriend on updates on something that's stressing her out a ton but also want to keep up on it so i at least know what's going on. i really appreciate the posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i really really hope that's some sort of mistranslation