Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I tried to look up the death toll of the 2019 gas price hike protest. I remember at the time i read an article said it was a few thousands, which made it on par with the 89 China protest and 88, 20 Myanmar protests.

But i checked the wiki, it says 300+ by the Iranian side and 1500 by the western side, so I figure the true number is somewhere in between. For the current protests, the death toll is around 300+ from western sources. So I figure it is not as bad as the 19 protests yet.

I think about it, this new wave of protests is really the continuation of the 19 protests. In 19 and 20 the protests were stopped by Covid. And Iran was one of the earliest countries that got the plague, right after Italy. I remember there was news of a patient hospital getting torched too. The Iranians really like burning structures to express their feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
For those who are familiar with the country, is it possible for the state to unofficially ease the touchy subjects, for example the head scarf dress code to calm down the unrest?

Or do they see it the other way, "give an inch and they will ask for a foot" perspective and will not budge?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has the Supreme leader thrown a couple moral police mid tier managers to jail first? Just do something to appease part of the crowd.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Kurds are not getting any break from any country.

It would not be good for this protest movement if the regime is turning it into a nationalists vs Kurd minority ethnic conflict.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Shah ran away in the very beginning of the unrest. Alot of different fractions was fighting for power, but the military was noticably not calling the shot. People died mysteriously (less radical leaders), and Iran Islamic Republic ended up with a very unique political structure.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah like I suggested a few days ago, the supreme leader could have thrown some middle management moral police to the court to appease the crowd.

China did an almost complete 180 on covid lock down policy as soon as the covid protests spread. There were other protests intermixing in it but mainly anti zero covid protests.

Does anyone know the employed number of the moral police?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
From what I understand, they are still simmering under the boiling point.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The clash kind of reminds me the violent protest in Myanmar, which had junta related violent clamp downs 3 times in the last 3 decades. At least in term of the length of the protest is pretty similar to Myanmar. Also how the authoritarian government has a strong hold on the army and part of the security force and some core profitable business but much less so to other part of the society.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Israel is a nato partner, not a member.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

The government is constantly loving with them so I imagine that just helps motivate people

Thia is like the speed camera for hijabs? But women don't wear license plate, how does this work?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

Facial recognition I guess?

Don't you need to build a national data base first? If Iran has done that the west would be 10x times freaked out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Mr Soleimani got droned at the ATM.