Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

do we all have to turn our facebook profile pictures green again? that seems like a hassle, but I will do it if it will overthrow the government of Iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

You were supposed to delete your facebook account

i keep it active for when it's time to make important political statements by way of lovely photo filters

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

gently caress SNEEP posted:

who are you upset at?

slacktivists I guess

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

It's not so much that Iranians are less Islamic than their neighbours, but rather that a large chunk of the population have syncretised their faith into a secular belief system more compatible with western liberalism. I'm sure the vast majority of those woman burning hijabs consider themselves to be devout Muslims. I don't think atheists make up a very large chunk of the population there. Islam is a religion with a lot of competing tendencies with very different interpretations of how people are supposed to live their lives. The lack of a central authority like the Catholic church to police what is and isn't proper has left a lot of room for competing groups to come up with their own version of what a Muslim is supposed to be.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Randarkman posted:

More compatible than what? This kind of "inherent cultural compatibility" thing typically reeks to me, implying that some countries are more receptive to or deserving of representative and/or secular systems of government than others.

Than whatever they are doing in Saudi Arabia for one. Not that it's about "inherent cultural compatibility" as you put it. Rather the current system of government in Saudi Arabia is a result of a very active, century old, project to shape the state along ideological lines that uses a particular interpretation Islam to justify a totalitarian, and fundamentally illiberal form of government. Iran's government also is based on an ideology that uses a version of Islam to justify it's power, albeit in a very different way to Saudi Arabia. But it seems to face far more pushback from its domestic populace.

I wasn't trying to imply that Islam is somehow unique compared to other religions in its capacity to be coopted by autocratic governments. My point was that it comprises such a broad school of different beliefs that describing different political tendencies as somehow more or less Islamic than each other doesn't really make sense.