Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Charliegrs posted:

How do these protests compare in scale to the 2009 protests? It seems like it might be even bigger this time.

way more intense

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
https://twitter.com/criticalthreats/status/1593419616335937538

I think they're right, it's progressing rapidly, is extremely widespread, people are increasingly fighting back and the regime is using extremely heavy violence in response. Some of the stuff out of Iran looks like an almost carbon copy of what was going on in Syria back in 2011.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean they were murdering kids after the revolutions by spewing psychotic religious horse poo poo and turning them into loving 40k level suicide infantry irregulars in the iran iraq war.

at this point no. too many dead and probably a ton of regime chuds hosed up or dead too. too much blood spilled for it to be reform now. either regime dies or they kill astronomical amounts of people to buy themselves a decade until their boomer base dies.

yeah, this is gonna get uglier. the regime has lost most of the youth now and probably alot more. the only reason the mullas arnt doing jig from a telephone poll is because they probably have a the military and the guard still. i suspect the military(or portions) may flip if poo poo really kicks off. i dont think the regime has the same streagth as assad though.

It looks similar to how Syria got started but I wouldn't assume it will go the same way. At least from people in Iran I talk to the perception is strongly that the IRGC is basically rock solidly in support of the regime and that Syria-style defections will not be a thing. It's possible that is an incorrect analysis, but I'm inclined to think it's largely correct. Iran has ethnic divisions, but much more peripherally so than Syria, which is literally a minority alawi rule over a suuni majority. Iran in contrast is majority rule, albeit over a number of non-trivial, but generally significantly marginalized minority groups.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has the Supreme leader thrown a couple moral police mid tier managers to jail first? Just do something to appease part of the crowd.

It's way beyond that and that wouldn't begin to be enough. The regime is currently all in on putting the protests down violently through escalating levels of repression. The idea of promising a token reform and people will just go home honestly hasn't really been a thing in this entire wave of protests. people are just done with significant parts of the status quo.

Grape posted:

Assad held on due to

1. Outside military help from multiple sources.
2. Being able to divide his population on sectarian grounds and therefore retain loyalty from big chunks of it.

Number one is... unlikely? At least from major sources. Like Hezbollah sure, but lol at them being a huge factor in something this big. Russia might have shelled out again or something, but lol, lmao.
Number two would be very hard for the regime to pull off unless these protests were largely centered around a minority to begin with. Otherwise this really isn't an option for them.

1 is already happening to some extent and rumors are out there that it is happening to a significant extent. Iran has quite a few groups with relevant experience to call on, most notably SAA, Hez, Iraqi PMFs, and if push comes to shove they have a number of other groups that owe them favors. Significantly, all of those groups have a lot of recent combat experience, and particularly in counter insurgency and shooting some civilians in Iran is pretty much a vacation compared to fighting daesh in Eastern Syria. I wouldn't discount that. On the other hand, I'd expect the heat to turn up in Syria because Shia paramilitaries can only be in so many places at once.

2 I think is less true in Syria actually, it was an Alawi minority + a bunch of Sunnis at war with basically a bunch of other predominately Sunni factions, at least for most of the war. Assad held on far more because of 1. More significantly on 2, and actually in a way that at least according to Iranians seems more directly applicable is that there was a significant campaign of false flag attacks coupled with timely releases of extremist prisoners in order to paint the entire opposition as extremist terrorists... even before that basically became a self-fulfilling thing. Iranians I've talked to who are involved in the protest seem to expect the Iranian government to do something similar.

tldr there are a lot of similarities to the situation in syria, but there are also really significant differences between them. still, it is striking just how much this really, really looks like the early days of the Syrian civil war

Berg posted:

I've been to Iran a couple of times, last in 2014, and it's easily been my favourite place to travel. Unfortunately I don't think we should be too optimistic about any meaningful systemic change in the near future. While there are a lot of protests going on, the numbers probably aren't there for the regime to start seeing them as a genuine challenge to their rule. A friend of mine went around Tehran a couple of days ago after returning to the country briefly from Europe and couldn't find any signs of unrest. She said everything was just going on as normal, so it seems the protests are still quite small and isolated when they occur, with the news and social media coverage perhaps giving an impression that they are much more widespread than they really are.

The next problem is with the regime itself. It is virtually insane. Khamenei and the others with power are true believers in their cause and I doubt they will ever voluntarily step aside for the good of the country or because they feel their position is untenable. They are doing god's work and don't care how many they have to murder and how much suffering is caused - the revolution must be protected and they will not give in. The Revolutionary Guard is under the direct command of the Supreme Leader, as is the Basij morality police, so there is a lot of force at Khamenei's disposal.

The third problem is the lack of an alternative leader or any kind of replacement government option if the regime does go. I haven't heard any speculation at all about what exactly a plan might be if the protests do prove to be that effective. Quite a few Iranians I met have said they don't want to repeat the mistakes of 1979 and end up swapping one dictator for another who might be even worse. A revolution now doesn't guarantee that what or who comes after will necessarily be better, although it is hard to imagine a worse outcome than the current system. But there would undoubtedly be mass confusion and chaos for some time, and that definitely does not guarantee that a reasonable government with free and fair elections would appear in the power vacuum.

I truly wish that all this pessimism will be proven to be completely misguided soon, but at the moment I think it will be a while before we should really get our hopes up. It's certainly not a reason to not support the protestors - it's difficult to see how anything will change without this stuff happening in the first place.

yeah agreed with this. small point that basij are different from the morality police, but otherwise pretty much dead on to my understanding. The lack of any political alternative or even really any effective opposition is a particular key point for why this has skipped the whole 'promise reforms and then don't do poo poo' stage. There's both no real political avenue to pressure for reforms and the supreme council completely does not give a solitary gently caress about implementing reforms to make a bunch of godless urbanites happy. It really looks like there's no resolution to any of this that doesn't involve the people of Iran pretty much completely disassembling the current Iranian regime.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 20, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Iran can also go hard on the Kurdish cities as a warning to other cities without as much risk of provoking things nationally (albeit that calculus likely is off... the unrest has been largely across ethnic lines). It's basically the Syrian model of attacking one city exceptionally hard to warn the others, eg the Hama massacre(s) in the 1980s or the city sieges early in the Syrian civil war.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Iranian people were pretty significantly pro-America 20 years ago, particularly younger/urban and that continued as many people grew up sharing pirated american tv shows and stuff. That affinity has definitely not disappeared, though it's no doubt diminished somewhat.

It's hard to overstate just how much Iran's government does not in any way represent the views of significant numbers of Iranians.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

acidx posted:

Borzou has been as reliable as anyone on Iran for years.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1599426939474755584

What I've seen lately makes it seem like Iran is preparing itself for the long haul if anything. Lots of riot gear and equipment coming in.

yeah that's my impression. even Iranians don't seem to think that that report was anything other than a misreading of a confusing statement

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1400487451311984653

Oil refinery in northern Iran on fire as well. Seems extremely likely that Israel is actively discouraging Iran from exporting weapons, but Bibi will also kick that dog whenever he thinks no one is really paying attention :shrug:;

EDIT

:lol: comedy take - Israel sees Iran as competition for Russia's arms market, so they did the needful

date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ah that makes sense, I was wondering