Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I apologize for duplicating a post I just made in D&D, but I'm eager to learn more about what's going on in Iran.

From what I understand, while the conventional military is probably more sympathetic to the Iranian people, the Revolutionary Guards and associated thugs are pretty united and have all the best weapons and tools for violence. Corruption has helped keep them wealthy too, so there isn't a lot of major factional disputes among the mullahs.

This isn't like 1979 where the Shah wasn't decisive enough to repress protests quickly enough before discontent spread in the army. I fear a lot of these protestors are going to die and there's not much any foreign country can do to help them out because no alternative leadership is in the country to supplant the IRI. Anything resembling regime change is a pipe dream.

I'd love for any Iran experts here to correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

People who want to give the Shah smooches usually identify as Persian.

There's a lot of baggage that comes out on the part of other people when one mentions they're from Iran in the US. "Persian" rings less obvious alarm bells in the dumber parts of our country.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

Like Hollywood and other fashionable parts Los Angeles?

Edit: the family who sold my parents rugs to support people fleeing the ayatollah (as was the fashion of the time) they were Iranians. The people who supplied the rugs to little mom and pop stores all over the country were Persians.

I grew up in Virginia and at least in my part of the state (outside of the more cosmopolitan north), the Iranian families I knew used "Persian" because people where we lived didn't go into Delta Force-addled "WHY DID Y'ALL TAKE HOSTAGES?!?!" mode.

Keep in mind I also knew Sikhs who got a ton of crap because of their turbans so our experiences may just differ a lot.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

After seeing some of the comments in this thread, I just want to say that people shouldn't love the Shah, but I have to strongly disagree with anyone who think Iranians were better off under any part of the Islamic Republic's existence than they were under Reza Pahlavi.

And the IRI has gone way further than SAVAK at this point in running a domestic suppression apparatus. In fact, the IRI was more than happy to absorb a lot of ex-SAVAK people for their own secret police needs.

It's depressing to think of the 1970s as Iran's high water mark, but it's not like the decades since then have been golden times either.

Anyway, I hope this protests can lead to something good, but I don't have much faith in anything happening besides the IRI doubling down on cruelty and violence.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

People seem to be suddenly mad at this NIAC thing, whatever that is

The NIAC is the National Iranian American Council is an Iranian-American advocacy organization. There's been a lot of criticism over the years that people feel it has been dominated by people who apologize for the IRI as they have been advocating for greater diplomatic interaction between Iran and the US. I find it a little tricky since there's a large portion of Iranian expatriates who found any diplomatic engagement with the IRI to be intolerable, but a lot of that belief has, up until now, seemed like it was based on a regime change pipe dream.

https://www.niacouncil.org/

We can hope these protests are a sign of greater change to come, but I really don't know if anyone can predict what is coming. Plenty of totalitarian regimes have been able to stamp this out and Iran throwing their lot in with Russia is not a great sign.

Anyone thinking the CIA is competent or connected enough in Iran to be pulling the strings here is deluded. The major problem for the US (that shows in most of our interactions with Iran since the 1970s) is that we have never had any accurate idea what the hell is going on there and we have not being able to change that despite trying to do so for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

https://twitter.com/AnonOpsSE/status/1584106409985077248

That's a pretty universal symbol I believe

https://twitter.com/chawshin_83/status/1584142485319995393
#instantaneous
Clash of students of Sharif University of Tehran with Basiji monsters on Sunday, November 1, 1401
#Mehsa_Amini

Holy poo poo if the protestors have a time machine, the regime is really screwed :downs:

Your joke reminded me that the Iranian calendar is very different from ours. It's especially confusing to see them use a Gregorian month and day at the same time.