Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
My whole knowledge of Islam and it's various branches is very very limited but in regards to the various dress codes countries have, is it a Quran thing or something a bunch of old dudes decided to do later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Randarkman posted:

The basis is Quran plus various traditions of hadiths for further elaboration. Sharia is Islamic law, according to that revealed in the Quran and also presented in the hadiths, however actually getting this into a workable legal system and moral code is more complicated which is why there's a difference between the ideal infallible Sharia and that which is put into practice according to interpretation and tradition, that's Fiqh.

So what you have are quranic verses that emphasize modesty and separation of the sexes, some more specific, some vaguer than others, then you also have a myriad of others, then these are interpreted into actual practice.

IIRC the verse most often cited is the one that mentions women draping a specific garment (the identity of which is often debated) about themselves to cover up some part of themselves and men not exposing their bellies or lower legs, something along those lines.

e: Question would it be better if the quran directly said to beat women who wear their headscarves too loose?

I actually wasn't being flippant or dismisive etc of anything. I have very little knowledge of how this all works. My apologises if I came across as something you didn't like. I appreciate the roll back in tone in later posts from you. I'll just throw in that I am an aethist and will never 'get' this fully.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Sorry dude. I can't really excuse my tone, but I am sorry.

All love here my friend

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This is so surreal to see this happening in Iran. I thought the regime had a major strangle hold. I hope this leads to something liberating for the country rather than mass incarceration.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
BBC has been showing it on it's TV channel on a regular basis :shrug:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Iran regime is pretty tight on foreign media getting visas. I think internet is pretty limited atm too?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Slava Iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Any developments? My source of info for this is that I don't have one.