Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Problem: Recently my Samsung EVO 980 Pro had a critical failure in its controller which forced me to warranty the product and receive a new one. As my PC was bought last April, it's all fairly new, but I decided to go ahead and update a few parts such as the CPU cooler and graphics card while I was upgrading (all parts listed below). I also upgraded the BIOS to the latest update (Version 2803) - prior to that my PC was totally stable. Went through the long process of getting it all set up, installed Windows 11, and suddenly found my PC would randomly BSOD and restart without notice. It seems to be mostly whenever I'm doing anything, such as browsing or watching videos and isn't really that replicable, it's just consistently frequent and makes using the PC nearly unusable. It doesn't consistently BSOD while gaming but Metro Exodus makes it BSOD almost immediately. I'm also currently running DOCP to 3600mhz in the BIOS but I've turned that on and off in the BIOS after this problem occured without any change.

Errors all seem to be memory related, and include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (most frequent)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (second most frequent)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Other BSODs with more generic system error (will update as they happen)
Randomly black screening and restarting

I've got two minidumps as well I can provide if needed. My general instinct and from google research tells me this is some kind of driver incompatibility - hope I'm right.

Attempted fixes: I've run Memtest and received no errors, Windows Memory Diagnostic no errors, I've reinstalled Windows 11 and currently downgraded back to Windows 10 incase the OS was the issue, I've placed my ram into different slots and rehoused them multiple times with no success (they're in A2/B2 right now but have tried A1/B1 without success), I've reinstalled drivers, I've updated my BIOS to latest version, I've attempted to run Driver Verifier (PC would BSOD after BIOS with driver_verifier_detected_violation when I tried to do this) and currently I've uninstalled the AMD Chipset to see if that makes things more stable (so far it appears to have done so but time will tell).

Recent changes: I've added an Asus 3080 Ti, an AIO watercooler, an extra fan and a new NVMe SSD to the system that replaced the old and totally reinstalled Windows fresh.

Operating system: Windows 10 64bit, originally Windows 11 64bit and had same issues

System specs:

Motherboard: ASUS B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU: ASUS OC RTX 3080 Ti
Memory: G.Skill 32GB F4-3600C18D-32GTZN Trident Z
PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA GA Series
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2 TB
Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Loop 2

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-real-temp/ and make sure the CPU temperatures are okay.

Run https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php and see if it finds any issue with the drive.

If the CPU and SSD are okay then I'd try temporarily using the older video card that you upgraded from (if possible).

How old is the PSU?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

RealTemp couldn't recognise my CPU but my temperatures are ranging from around 28C idle to about 40C while gaming. HDSentinel showing 100% on SSD. PSU was purchased in April 2021 so just over a year old.

I've installed a September 2021 gaming ready NVIDIA driver (472.12) for my 3080 Ti and it's actually completely stabilised the BSOD and random restarts - the worst thing that happens is an application crash every now and again (no BSOD, most likely unrelated software bug as opposed to driver issue) and a slight stutter very rarely when something is loading. I guess the next question I have is why are the 2022 3080 Ti drivers (I was using 516.94) so totally unstable for my PC? I've tried both gaming ready and studio drivers too and it made no difference - I guess something added between the end of 2021 and 2022 is incompatible? Any way to find out what?

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 23, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hefty Leftist posted:

I guess the next question I have is why are the 2022 3080 Ti drivers (I was using 516.94) so totally unstable for my PC? I've tried both gaming ready and studio drivers too and it made no difference - I guess something added between the end of 2021 and 2022 is incompatible? Any way to find out what?

Some who are making/releasing the drivers don't know what they're doing. W10 will also frequently download audio drivers onto machines that make all audio unlistenable.

At some later point you could try running DDU to remove the GPU drivers https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4142 and then installing future GPU drivers.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Zogo posted:

Some who are making/releasing the drivers don't know what they're doing. W10 will also frequently download audio drivers onto machines that make all audio unlistenable.

At some later point you could try running DDU to remove the GPU drivers https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4142 and then installing future GPU drivers.

Quick update: turns out the stability was only temporary - it's back with the same BSOD errors as before even with the older driver. Have removed drivers totally with DDU and reinstalled newest as well as the older driver and problem remains. Also still seems to be pointing to GPU - crashes happen more frequently during gaming or when watching youtube videos.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 24, 2022

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Slight update - reset the CMOS on motherboard and set my PCIe 4.0 slot into 3.0 mode for my GPU - seems far more stable even with new drivers. are B550-F motherboards generally unable to run PCIe 4.0 very well? Time will tell if this actually works but it's pretty annoying if my motherboard can't handle both an M.2 PCIe 4.0 and GPU PCIe 4.0 for whatever reason. GPU is definitely in the slot that is 4.0 too btw

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 24, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hefty Leftist posted:

are B550-F motherboards generally unable to run PCIe 4.0 very well? Time will tell if this actually works but it's pretty annoying if my motherboard can't handle both an M.2 PCIe 4.0 and GPU PCIe 4.0 for whatever reason. GPU is definitely in the slot that is 4.0 too btw

I don't know.

The general rule is that to be very confident that your machine is running stably you need at least a couple of weeks without any BSODs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

To give a final update on this thread - I reinstalled my old GPU (1080Ti) and every problem immediately went away. Have RMA'd the 3080 Ti. Thanks for all the help and assistance - really appreciated.