Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Attack on Princess posted:

I went in expecting to bounce off because everyone says it's a story focused MMO, and WoW broke my ability to enjoy RPG dialogue ages ago. Through some wizardry they've found a way to make MMO lore palatable and engaging.

The wizardry is that unlike blizzard they don't suck major rear end at sorytelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

BlazetheInferno posted:

Story in 14 isn't sacrificed for gameplay, and more importantly, story isn't skipped over when a new expansion comes out. For WoW, the story in the leveling experience is generally just setup for the REAL story to be told in raids and max-level content, none of which is seen by players just leveling up to get to the expansion after this. In FF14, nearly everything is gated behind MSQ Progression; max-level story content directly sets up the next expansion, and requires you to play through that max-level story content in order to access that next expansion.

It's not just that, the writing in WoW is just awful. And they are trying to juggle too many characters, not leaving enough time to develop them. And it leads them to rely too much on exposition dumps, instead of building up things more organically over time.

Blizzard also have a huge "taking your audience for idiots" problem, where characters keep pointing out obvious things.

It's not just a matter of prioritizing gameplay over story (where is wow's vaunted good gameplay anyway, outside of pvp?), it's skill issues.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Doomykins posted:

WoW has had consistently good raid design for decades and while I hate to hand it to 'em they blow MSQ gameplay out of the water.

Meh, at the end of the day it's pve either way.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

HaB posted:

Even playing the second time around (just killed Xenos), there are gigantic portions of things I completely forgot because just: too much information at once. I suppose once games are around for that long, and have years of lore built up, it's difficult to figure out how to drop someone who has never heard any of it into the game, because it's difficult to make it NOT feel like you are drinking from the firehose.

The Smith's stuff you can do at the beginning to get that one ring should be expanded out to include some of the more common dungeon mechanics: Tank Busters, Stacks, Circle Markers, etc.

"too much information at once"
"they should add more information into the smith's stuff"
:thunk:

a lot of people learn by doing so there's no much point in trying to explain absolutely everything beforehand
I don't know why people think it's such a big deal when people don't know all the mechanics and play perfectly right away.

Myself if I'm going to do pve I enjoy when it's messy and chaotic (heck I find it fun to wipe) rather than a perfectly railroaded run where I just have to press my buttons in an endlessly repeating sequence