Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
I would honestly play Eureka if it gave XP like bozja does, I wish they would rework PotD to do 1-50, HoH 51-60 and eureka 61-70, but I guess accessing Onokoro before SB begins is a problem
I'd really want to do the content but basically no one plays Eureka on EU/Chaos unless a well known streamers gets in, and from what I could see of it, soloing is not really a good plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

quiggy posted:

I just finished ARR last night and to be honest I ended up really liking it by the end, the story starts slow and it's definitely simple but it gave me enough motivation to enjoy the final sequences. Some of those end challenges are pretty interesting and tough, too!

So now that I'm onto 2.x content and then HW, mind explaining raiding in FFXIV to me? The only game I've raided in before is Destiny, where the raid teams are much smaller but basically require voice chat to survive. Is the Raid Finder a good way to do that? Are people generally chill towards healers who are new to the game and still learning? Should I just skip the ARR raiding scene and go straight to HW?
There are two raid types per extension, both with their own storyline that may or may not be relevant for other optional content (or MSQ) :
- The alliance raids : pack of 3 dungeon-y areas with half a dozen to a dozen of encounters (trashes+midbosses or bosses) to defeat, where the players are put into 3 full parties (3x8 persons = 24). There are occasionally some mechanics that require each party to do something on their own. Alliance raids are usually easy to participate in, though some mechanics can be merciless the first time you encounter them
- The normal raids : 3 pack of 4 bosses to defeat in a full party (8 people). Those are straight up like the trials you know, although some can be a little harder, and the HW normal raids have some trash mobs to fight through sometimes. They can have some dirty mechanics also but usually the fights themselves teach you how to do them.
You also have trial series which are another set of optional storyline that will involve 3 or 4 trials and occasionnaly a dungeon.

ARR is a special case because the Alliance Raid became mandatory so no escaping those, and the ARR normal raids were overtuned when they released and are still not in the duty roulette at that point. You might want to find people to run those unsynced because the story can be really important, but you can safely ignore them.

You should be able to run all of these without any problem since (except for the ARR normal raids) they are all fairly doable for casual players, just queue up with the duty finder, and say to your party you're new, there should be someone to explain important mechanics if needed.

Now if you want challenge, there are also :
- Extreme trials : harder versions of the trials (like Titan etc) that require a little cooperation usually
- Savage raids : harder normal raids that require a lot of cooperation
- Ultimate fights : weirdo super hard trials in multiple phases that you should need a full static group to challenge
Difficuly goes like this :
Trials > Alliance raids > Normal raids > Extreme trials > Savage raids > Ultimate

(e: a large portion added because I submitted by error)

Zanael fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 8, 2022

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Also don't sleep on the optional dungeons, they are usually interesting to do for the lore they can add, plus you benefit for a larger available pool in the daily roulettes.
And so you know, when a dungeon is noted "(Hard)" it's not just the same old dungeon with inflated health bars, it's usually other parts of the dungeons with totally different encounters.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

Oh man the psuedo-trusts they created for the MSQ dungeons is such a nice feature. It really makes playing through the story so much easier. It honestly wasn't much slower than a real party and zero queue as DPS.

Duty support is really useful, I just with they would use aoes :D Also roaming certain dungeons MSQ with your NPC bros has a lot of charm

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

Yeah, I get this, all MMO quests are basically "go there, kill this, pick 15 leather skins", but in ARR, especially Titan arc, it's literally "go to person A, pick item, go to person B, give item, go to person C on another side of continent, read 2 lines about some irrelevant poo poo, go to person D".

The titan lead-up is easily the worst part of the game for me, and imagine that they trimmed A LOT of quests from that with their recent updates. Ironically it was around that point that the original free trial ended, they made the best decision to extend it to not only the end of ARR but HW as well.

But yeah as other said, the MSQ still involve a lot of fetch quests, though the pacing gets better and it's better disguised so you don't feel it as much as during the titan arc

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Thanks everyone. Just tanked the bosses in Syrcus tower and it went smoothly. I think I was thrown off by the chrysalis, where I didn't stand in the right place and everyone died.
For the next one, there's one specific boss where it's tradition each alliance has a role to do :
- alliance A handles adds so you'll need to get aggro on them
- alliance B do something that will be explained if you ask your group, and you should be with them
- alliance C tanks the boss and two players have a mission at some point, you should get the aggro on the boss
If you're alliance C, the boss does huge aoes from his rear so watch out for that ;)

e: I should add that I got yelled at once because I didn't tank the lovely low hp adds that shouldn't survive more than 5 seconds and alliance C was angry.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Dareon posted:

And finally today, Alchemist. I'd been forced to reluctantly put Fantasy CSI on hold until I got more levels, which meant I had to take a moment and refresh myself on the plot as I came back. Fantasy CSI, weirdly incorruptible corpses, a cursed dagger. Feel like that's the gist of things, but I don't know why F'lhaminn's involved-
(MSQ background spoiler, talked about late/post Heavensward)
...Oh.

Alchemist StB is wild with the lore bomb if you haven't played 1.0, I was shocked

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Agreed you're probably overthinking it, 4 players dungeons really don't require you to watch a guide or prepare for them, you should be able to go there and have fun collecting vuln stacks. Don't worry too much about it.

If you need a crash course on handling crazy fights, you can try your hand at Bozja (available for level 71 jobs after Shadowbringers MSQ), it is a eye opening experience and a good training in "what does the debuff says", "maybe I should look outside the arena for death lasers", "I have to avoid 15 aoe zones at the same time" and "where is that one pixel where I'm not going to be murdered by other players", without the downside of disrupting the outcome of the fight since there will generally be 20 other players that can tank/heal/damage with you, and losing a fight is a team effort.
Unless you dash into all your buddies with an AoE marker for some PvP action ;)

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

and the clear will just take a little longer is all.
which can be a boon because of the banger BGMs

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Always follow the crowd, at least you won't die alone, and it won't be your fault.
UNLESS you have a huge rear end marker of death on you

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

My rule of thumb with tanking in dungeons is to not rush it until you know the healer is comfortable doing so, and you're going to survive, some dungeons can hit pretty hard.
When I levelled healers I super hated tanks going full sprint and zooming around corners without checking if I'm following, especially if I told them beforehand to take it slow.

Healing gives me much more anxiety than tanking.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Warmachine posted:

That said, I can't help someone who does not WANT help. I can't help someone who is going to dig their heels in and commit to staying exactly where they are and refuse to push themselves past their current comfort zone. And I take a specific ire when said person wants three other random people to conform to that without the prior choice to opt-out. Which is what duty finder is. There's a set of social norms involved in doing roulettes, and a steadfast refusal to even try to adapt to those norms suggests that either the role or the roulette format isn't right for that person. Which is fine. FF14 has a lot of classes, and another role might suit running roulettes better for this person. Save the slow-burn tanking style for running with like-minded friends if that's how you want to play. But attempting to tell three other people you were randomly matched with to play in a way that runs contrary to these norms, when your reasoning is "because this is how I want to play" is outright rude.

The rude one is the person expecting every tank to speedrun dungeons and pull everything.
Yes it's the "norm" from roulette goers perspective because they want their daily dungeon to go fast (and they are probably the same fuckers who disrobe in alliance roulette to avoid any interesting content), but not wanting to do multipull is perfectly fine and at no point is it egocentrism "you don't pay my sub". You all need to realize you don't get always matched with other roulette players who are 90 on every job.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

You shouldn't have bought anything and just used the free trial, which goes up to level 60 and includes Heavensward.
I'm not sure old free trials account get the full benefit, I think they're still capped at 35
Welcome back to the game, enjoy, I'd suggest checking the hall of novices near Sastasha to refresh yourself on the combat system if needed, and do exactly the inverse of what they say for one of the missions (about tanking I think)

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

By the by, I really appreciate the generosity of the new trial, getting not only full ARR but HW as well.
The old trial stopped at like the worst possible time, I think a friend or two dropped the game there because of the bad string of quests happeninng around that level. Thankfully these are gone or have been reworked, it makes going through ARR much more bearable.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

RME posted:

I too would die if someone came up to me and spoke French

Bonjour, comment ça va ?
dashes out

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

so here's where i'm at with 47 on WAR

* always best weapon/chest, rest within 10 levels (soon will be looking at ilvl but not really a thing yet)
* tank stance on all the time for now
* always food (what's best for this? isn't the first stat listed the strongest or something? I'm just eating stuff that offers bigger than max bonuses on all 3 stats, ie says +10 max 50 and i have 300 base stat so i'm maxed, right?)
* rotate CDs on trash pulls including my sleeper favorite arm's length
* AOE on 3+, single chain on 1-2
* Keep provoke open and use it/tomahawk on any adds that creep into the fray after initial pull
* Be nice to healers (esp since i'm doing lower dungeons in DF) and start pulling easy, get a vibe check halfway through and if they want to try, pull doubles
* spin big poo poo towards the back, eat cleaves, don't dance around like an idiot because the melee dps needs all the help they can get

Do i have the basics down?

I'd recommend always do one or two aoes on all the pack (even if there's only 2 mobs) at the start so you're way ahead on the aggro meter than your healer or the dps for a good while when running around, then monitor the enemy list to make sure you don't lose aggro
Otherwise you should be good to go until doing actually hard content (not "<Content> (Hard)") like Extreme/Savage
Oh yeah, when running in the dungeon try not to break line of sight with your healer for too long, like going through corners in corridors : can't see you, can't heal you. It's a mistake I've seen a lot of tanks do, especially in the ARR dungeons

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Poppers posted:

I played a Warrior to the start of Stormblood like 3 years ago. How is jumping back in in 2023?
Should be fairly easy to get back into the game, they simplified how aggro works for tanks, streamlined how classes work, and you can test the waters with NPCs in dungeons now.
In a month and a half with 6.5 (expected early October) every mandatory MSQ dungeons will be runnable with NPC parties, the last ones to be implemented are the Stormblood patches ones.

Coincidentally there's a free login period for returning players giving 14 days of access to the game between August 9 to August 31 : https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/freelogincampaign/

So hop in !

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

I guess I find it most surprising of all SE gave them the chance to turn it around (3 years or so) which is wild

Yeah I don't know what kind of black magic Yoshi-P used to convince them to burn the game to the ground and remake it entirely.
When you're done with HW proper and about to enter Stormblood, watch the noclip documentary on FFXIV to see the horrors of 1.0 and the game rebirth

edit: HW, not EW

Zanael fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 14, 2023

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

I kind of have fond memories of waiting at the entrance of Valkrum Dunes for 4h spamming LFG THF 17 interrupted by someone running to the city with a horde of crabs on his heels, finally finding a group, wiping after half a level and log off for the day. Or finally getting level 18 (?) so I could change my gear, die, get a level down and stripped from my new stuff.
Nowadays barely anyone would tolerate this (me first), but it was kinda funny at that time.
Having to do Valkrum twice for my subjob killed any desire to continue though, I think I got to 20, reached Jeuno (?) with the help of friends, told myself "ok, tomorrow for realsies" and my character is probably still parked there.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

I forget if I asked this, but are there any unique rewards for palace of the dead?

Well there's the <Necromancer> title if you go all the way to floor 200 solo. I'm not sure about the later lootbox rewards but the 1-100 ones are not unique, though they do drop some glams.
You can however exchange your mettle for unique weapon glams (the shiny weapon you wear in the palace)

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I didn't do Fisher and Culinarian out of overall dissatisfaction with fishing mechanics
Have you tried Ocean fishing ? a lot of job XP quickly and easily, you only need three types of bait available at the merchant near the boat boarding and it has cool events and objectives

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Szarrukin posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person in the multiverse that doesn't like Hildibrand quests. Lolrandom humour is so tiring.

I really didn't like ARR Hildibrand at all until the last two quests maybe, nor did I found it funny, which is weird because I grew up on looney tunes and 80s japanese comedy anime like kimengumi and it's not too far off those. I stopped mid the ARR storyline a few years ago and didn't touch it until it was mandatory for the EW relic.
It does get better over time though, even got a chuckle or two from me during the EW quests.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

I miss Cape Westwind being a trial. Or more specifically, I miss hyping up the fight as being the toughest to newbies.

Now it legitimately is a proper fight as a solo duty.

There were some pretty fun shenanigans with streamers that started XIV during the late ShadowBringers WoW exodus, it quickly became mandatory for twitch chat and ingame friendos to hype the fight as super hard, some went as far as providing a 130 pages guide by copying the UCOB strat. As some were hardcore WoW raiders they became super interested and preparing for the fight, only for it to last 10 seconds because of the ilvl 130 scaling
"I even put my raiders pants on and bought energy drinks, wtf !!"
Good times

All in all, Castrum is a way better experience than it was before, Praetorium is still kinda boring but at least they tried with some boss mechanics. Ultima Weapon fight is fine overall but the first part is waaaay too long after the first time you go through.
Still better than the late ARR version speedrun when you were 3 cutscenes behind everyone as a sprout. I don't remember when they made cutscenes mandatory but that was a good move. They could give us a vote skip when rolling with 4 non first timers though...

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

HaB posted:

k so got a coupla questions.

Last time I played I didn't really mess around with DoH/DoL stuff at all.

General advice I am seeing more than one place is: level ALL of them at once. Totally get it. Get materials for crafting job from gathering job, etc.

But from a more practical standpoint: are they saying I should visit every guild and do the opening job quest, then just switch between jobs as needed?

And the real question: should I wait until level cap to do this? I am only just past ARR (like 52-53ish)

I see that the quickest way to level them (over 30) is via The Diadem? When does access to that unlock?

TIA

As DoH require a lot of materials that DoL can provide, and because gathering involves a lot of going to places, I'd recommend waiting when you're done with the story and unlocked flying everywhere to make it less a pain in the arse, especially on some HW zones that are way too large and impractical on foot.
Personnaly I didn't bother with gathering until late Shadowbringers and crafting a little after that while waiting for Endwalker.
For crafting jobs, levelling everything at the same time is definitely the way to go imo, unless you're a gillionnaire and ready to spend a lot at the market board

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, there really are like 30 minutes of credits after ARR's end like a single player game huh? lol

ARR's credit also include the list of (paid) players that were there for the end of the vanilla game they nuked. Lecacy characters also have a special tatoo texture on their body, and two (?) special mounts if they unlocked it.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

I just did Sastasha in the level 15 ARR MQ "It's Probably Pirates", and that was exactly what I was looking for when I asked about dungeons. Sorry for the confusion.

My conjurer is 31 and I'd previously been doing Guildhests up to "More Than A Feeler", mistaking Guildhests for dungeons. So yeah, I lacked the knowledge to ask what I was trying to ask in a way that would make sense to the thread.

I'm super relived that there's stuff like Sastasha though. That was fun!

Well the good news is you'll eat up a lot of dungeons during ARR MSQ and more optional dungeons will become available in ARR patches, they tend to be a little more rare in the recent expansions but they are always a good spectacle, although you could argue also too much on rails and formulaic.
Current dungeon blueprint is 2 packs of mobs > barrier so you can deal with them > 2 packs of mobs > boss, 3 times

With Enwalker post patches they introduced a new type of dungeon : Variant dungeon, which are instances you can solo or go in with 3 people, which have 3 paths at the start and 2 bosses per path.
Now the cool thing is you can alter the routes in each path by doing certain actions (like finding a hidden passage, or interacting with something) and the last boss will have different mechanics depending on the route you took. And they have a hidden last boss with the most complicated path you can take. All variant dungeons have 12 routes and there is currently 3 variant dungeons.
But it's not over yet, all the variant dungeons also have a very hard mode, Criterion dungeons, with very hard trash mobs and 3 bosses with complicated mechanics. Then they also have a savage version where when you wipe to a boss, you need to restart from scratch and battle again all previous trash mobs and bosses.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

reversefungi posted:

That whole episode then gets referenced later in one or my favorite moments (STB trial series spoilers) when you’re in that one trial and Tataru tries to summon her carbuncle but can’t control it. Suddenly she’s running around panicking and chasing you with AOE markers like a total sprout

Then there's the final payoff in EW where a Studium researcher references a weird alone Carbuncle in the wild in LaNoscea that seems to have been summoned for a very long time, but only a summoner with giganormous reserves of aether would be able to pull off such a feat https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/rpmpl2/what_actually_happened_to_tatarus_carbuncle/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Real jarring to go from that to the new VA’s in the next quest since I was used to them.
The new VA for Alphinaud will slide right in very quickly