Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Feel like this might be a nice video to watch for anyone who wants a more general background to the history and geography of the world of FFXIV. It contains a lot of information that, while always available in game, is often not stated to the player directly during the msq. Completely spoiler free background lore stuff if you've ever wondered where all the continents are or what happened in each era: https://youtu.be/GaQ__5ZBwBc

Edit: He says it's going to be a series but to my knowledge he only ever did one more video then stopped, which is a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Tanking ain't too hard. For dungeons big trash packs are often more deadly than the bosses in terms of tank damage so save cooldowns for those.
Threat generation with tank stance on is massive so as long as you hit an enemy once of twice they should be locked to you, I only ever pull agro when playing with newer tanks who use single target for groups instead of aoe.
Early on you don't have many defensive cooldowns, but rampart and reprisal are both great and should be used regularly. Also arm's length aplies an attack speed slow to enemies that hit you so it's a defensive cd as well, but one that doesn't work on bosses most of the time.
Finally unlike wow there is no penalty for being hit in the back, so feel free to run through eneies to reposition them

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Awesome thank you! After I unlock warrior I will keep trucking on the main story

The game doesn't make this clear but unlocking your job upgrade (like warrior) is also locked behind msq progression. The msq quest that you need to complete to unlock jobs is a lvl 22 quest but because of newbie experience boosts a lot of people hit 30 before completing it.

The quest in question (very minor msq spoilers) is called Sylph management and occurs shortly after you join a grand company

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Because Eorzea consists of "city states" and there appears to be room for ~5 of them to function I'd say that it's roughly the size of Italy!

(Although the truth is that trying to sensibly gauge actual scale in a fantasy world is never going to work)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Just unlocked Inner Beast on my warrior and uh yeah; this is loving rad.

Berserk + Combo Storm's Path + 2 Inner Beast is a metric fuckton of damage in a very short period of time.

Buddy you have no idea

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

I hit level 48 on my warrior and I am still having a lot of fun. A helpful person suggested that I use my defensive cooldowns more freely instead of just on bosses and it has helped out a ton with clearing trash. I see a move coming up soon that puts that damage buff on me, but is the 3rd in the combo chain where as the overpower combo only requires 2 button pushes instead. Not sure I will be using that much, I suppose I just gotta use it first.

Eventually the second hit in the overpower combo applies the buff too. Before that... Yeah it's a bit annoying to keep it up for trash, and if it's a large group probably not worth it cos you lose so much damage doing three single target gcd attacks.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Quite often who I commend is determined purely by the fact that only one person is still in the instance by the time I go to pick someone

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

All of the job quests canonically take place at the time they release, it's just that only dragoon 30-50 makes it really noticeable when you do it later (the CUL level 50 quest is also super weird of you do it at certain points)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Often at low levels you'll be synched down for content, because it's easy to overlevel, and any time the ilvl of a piece of gear is synched all attached materia is disabled. So that's another reason why melding isn't so important before level cap

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Heck sometimes they do that at level 90

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Ranged physical DPS in general are amazing in low level dungeons due to getting potent aoe skills very early, but yeah dancer stands above even them because standard step is absurd 15-50

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I found whm Heavensward quests fine, but a lot of that was the whole taint thing being really funny

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Remember when each expansion releases they have to consider people jumping back in who haven't played for a year or so anyway. So they do tend to reiterate important points as they go.

If you really want there's a new game plus function that lets you replay sections of the msq, but you'll probably be fine to jump on in.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

When you're putting materia on the market board compare the default price the game sets (this is what you'd get from selling it to a vendor) to the price people are selling it for.
Remarkably often people will list materia on the market board for the same price or less than a vendor would buy it, if that happens you can right-click -> "have retainer sell this item" to immediately vendor it from the same screen you'd lose to create a listing for it.

Edit: as a rule of thumb materia vendor for about 130gil so if you're ever listing materia on the market board for less than 200 you're probably better off vendoring it

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

You can also get dark matter with company seals or wolf marks, both of which are currencies it's easy to cap on and nice to have something to dump them into. Wolf marks are an especially cheap way to get dark matter if you PvP basically ever.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Dark Matter repair strikes me as more of a dedicated raiding thing where I guess multiple wipes would crunch durability faster. Even when I do crazy dedicated farming and forget to vendor repair for a few days getting my stuff down to 30% across the board is barely breaking 5 digits in gil. I can get that by sweeping my duties for the day or selling one good item as an omnicrafter 90. I made like 20 million after costs getting to that and you need a high enough prof to do your own repairs anyway, right?

Do repair prices spike hard at 90? I carry a stack in chocobo saddle just in case but I've never touched it.

They don't spike so it's just a minor gil saving, but it's convenient in lots of ways. If you're mid raid lockout and need repairs you can just do them right there (and now even repair for someone else), instead of having to leave the instance. This is especially useful if you're progging a fight with a checkpoint.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Macros have some use in combat if you accept their inability to queue and perhaps are OK with being a bit suboptimal. Example 1: I macro Spirits Within with Circle of Scorn on PLD. They're both 30s oGCD damage moves. So long as I'm careful to wait a heartbeat to hit the button after doing a GCD (and accepting that some GCD animations make this tough) my macro auto weaves in the two moves for me and I save a hotbar spot. Example 2: I macro Lucid Dreaming to Combust on AST. There's a risk that I have to scoot immediately after the Combust cast and lose the Lucid, and this method won't be using Lucid on cooldown, but generally it works smooth as butter to throw out Lucid every second Combust and save me a hotbar spot. Lucid isn't something I find myself needing to do right on CD anyway.

I have about 2 or 3 combat macros per job along those general lines, matching up moves with shared cooldown timers.

Just so you're aware, you're going to inevitably lost some gcd uptime if you macro and gcd skill like combust, because macros don't give you any grace window for timing your gcd press.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

There are only two situations where you should shirk.

1. Boss has used an ability that is intended to force a tank swap, like a physical vuln up or similar. This doesn't happen much in normal difficulty.

2. It would be funny. This one requires more creativity but is very rewarding if you get it right.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kind of want to level Paladin just to experience the questline for myself.

Paladin is a cool job but don't go in expecting the quests to be "so bad it's good", they're mostly just quite dull. (1-30 and 60-70 are fairly decent mind)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Sometimes quests will put you in a "solo duty" where you're in a scripted instanced fight by yourself and party members can't join you. During these duties you get a buff which effectively covers your roles weak points, so if you're a healer you get a damage boost, if you're a dps you get some passive health regeneration etc.

This means that all solo msq content is perfectly doable with any job. The roles really only matter in content designed for groups.

Edit: The buff is called "Brilliant Conviction" https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Brilliant_Conviction

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Healer solo duties can be a pain because you don't get party frames so it can be hard to keep track of your allies health etc. I know there's one scholar quest that's particularly guilty of being bad for this.

But this is specifically a problem in duties designed for healers, playing a healer in a duty designed for any job is fine because you get the big damage buff.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

There's at least one scholar job quest where you fail if you don't esuna a debuff on an ally which is some real bullshit.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

If you're playing dragoon using a macro for dragon sight is fine though. That's probably the most reasonable ability to macro in the game right now.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

parasyte posted:

I macro Mount Roulette, Sprint, and Peloton at once and stick it on R3. Sprint doesn't queue and the other two don't work in combat so it's fine.

This is loving genius

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I still don't know why Goring Blade says "This weaponskill does not share a recast timer with any other actions."

Most skills don't, why do they specify there?

Goring blade is a weaponskill which means it triggers the 2.5s global cool down, but it also has its own 60s cool down independent of that. The tooltip is saying that using goring blade won't put all your other weapon skills on CD for 60s

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

On that note it's frankly bullshit that atonement breaks combos.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I've been considering joining a hunt Discord to farm a bit/get pings for boss FATEs, but they do seem sort of... intense.

If you get into faloop discord and join the odd a rank hunt train it's a pretty chill time with plenty of tomes, materia crystals and nutsacks as a reward. There is probably drama under the surface but if you're just following the train zerg you don't need to pay much attention to any of that nonsense.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

God Hole posted:

what's a hunt train? I'd like to avoid stepping on that rake for now

Hunt marks are special enemies that can spawn in overworked zones and the major ones need large groups to kill, like a world boss. There are discords which organise hunt trains, where they will scout out where hunt marks have spawned (or even do the required work to trigger them) and someone will post a train start point. A bunch of people gather there in parties and the *conductor* calls out coordinates where the marks are. Everyone flies there, murders the mark with overwhelming numbers, and moves on.

Killing hunt marks gives a bunch of tomestones, crystals that can be converted into materia, and special hunt currency for buying other cool poo poo.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Crucially all remaining positionals are just for a small potency boost, so they never impact your rotation if you miss them

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The crystal tower is a great example of what ffxiv does well, taking an inspiration from a previous FF game but then integrating it into an original ffxiv story which fits within the existing world.

Nier and ivalice just attempt to fully shoehorn the lore and characters from their respective games right into FF and it feels weird. As previously said it's almost less bad with nier as it's so out there that it's basically non-cannon, but ivalice really tries to drop the setting right inside the existing ffxiv world and fails.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The Burn final boss is certainly one of the most wipe prone dungeon bosses in the game, but controller players clear ultimate content all the time, theres no reason they can't do dungeon content

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Had a Nidhogg trial once where a sprout got the stack marker and proceeded to run as far and as fast away from the group as possible. He immediately died of course and the marker snapped into the group and all the veterans had a quick laugh.

I think that was at the time the first time a stack marker appears outside of Savage/Extreme content, but I'm guessing that honor might be taken by an earlier trial now.

This vid has minor visual spoilers for the fight spoiled here: https://youtu.be/43yi_W4FpG8

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The final boss of 3.0 doesn't need a rework, it's mechanically fine, it just needs to ilvl sync because if people have 270 gear it goes down far too quick

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Now would certainly be a great point to take in some side content, try other jobs etc. Loads of blue quests should have unlocked at the waking sands and the major cities, and you now have flying too!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Fun fact I just learned yesterday! If you're trying to click on an aetheryte crystal to TP there but there are yellow quest icons blocking it - holding ctrl will bring the aetheryte to the foreground! (Yes every zone is covered in yellow quests for me I'm never doing that nonsense)

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I would point out that if someone has only just beaten the 2.0 msq they're still a ways off being able to unlock Dark Knight.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

Does anyone have a rundown of Bozja? I finally unlocked it and have a few dps classes at level 71, but after doing the first few beginner quests in the zone, I'm kind of lost. Not sure how I'm supposed to grind levels out in this place

You mostly just run around and do the FATE style encounters that spawn around the place. This is probably not as easy these days as bozja as a whole is less busy outside the one area in a later part which is considered the "good" area to grind.

Lost actions are useful but you don't need to think too hard about them, the most important ones are essences which give you really powerful passive buffs that last until you leave your current bozja instance. Those are well worth doing.

If critical engagements spawn you can sign up for them, but I wouldn't bother if the area is quiet cos if you end up with just 3 of you fighting the boss you'll probably just die

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Tekopo posted:

They are guaranteed if you synch and have an all BLU party IIRC

Spells from dungeons/trials/raids are guaranteed if you're synched. You don't need to be in a full BLU party though, there can be non BLU party members.

Open world spells are not guaranteed drops but those usually only need 3-4 kills.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Every xpack has slow bits but nothing is as long and drawn out as 2.1-2.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The main problems with Stormblood relate to pacing rather than the actual content