Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RME posted:

it's kind of funny to me that people talk about how much better the brand-new stuff looks over other ARR gear cause the caster and dow one are both just recolors of the first dungeon set anyways
at least the tanking set is borrowing from an i70 model so it would technically take longer to get that equivalent

The tank one has a cool colour too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beatin despite being described as harsh and critical is just like all the other mentors who start drooling over you for the most basic things.

Geva owns because she gives you exactly how much respect your creations warrant, which starts out as very little.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kwyndig posted:

It might be Australia

That's Meracydia.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cheetah7071 posted:

honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped CT and replaced it withregular dungeons or solo duties in a complete rework. While veterans love to laugh about the bone zone and pads and the belly, I don't think I've seen a single newbie come out of it with a favorable experience

I would be extremely surprised if they ever did that.

I had fun experiencing the alliance raids with the CT story when I first started playing the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sassassin posted:

The Crystal Tower raids have basically been joke content for as long as anyone can remember. It's funny watching everyone wipe on the stupid stuff but there's no good reason anyone should mourn if they were to redesign it all the same way they've just done Thornmarch and Steps of Faith.

Being an introduction to 24-man raiding is enough of a reason to not give them the Steps of Faith treatment, and the mechanics aren't weird enough to get the Thornmarch treatment.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gladiator is a fine questline, and Paladin is a great class even if the quesltine sucks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Before the 2.x trim, doing Hildibrand quests is what got me through the 2.1-2.3 doldrums.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doing the new Cape Westwind and finale duties was absolutely worth sprinting through a chapter of NG+

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Post-cut corrupted crystals quest is fine.

Pre-cut it was the single worst chunk of msq in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Antivehicular posted:

This is the big one for alliance raids, where there will be three tanks and rarely if ever any discussion of who's the main tank that holds aggro on the bosses. If someone else is doing main-tank stuff (stance on, initiating the fights), I strongly advise keeping your stance off and letting them keep aggro as long as they're alive; fighting for aggro can spin the boss around, which can screw with DPS players' positionals and cause the boss to AoE people who aren't suspecting it. Turn your stance back on as needed: to grab adds (please grab adds, a lot of AR tanks will just leave them hanging and let the DPS get murdered), multiple bosses, if the other tank(s) are dead and you need to grab a boss, or when the alliances get split up. Otherwise, play blue DPS.

aggro war is how you make old alliance raids fun

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only thing that will turn my tank stance off in rando content is the cold embrace of death.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Paperhouse posted:

at the moment i'm mainly interested in the plot, it's felt pretty much like a single player game to me so far and that's fine. I may be interested in more multiplayer stuff later but for now I just want to play through the story. I don't mind the way the MSQ works, I was just worried that I still had like 90 hours of fetch/kill quests to do before it got interesting

The gameplay of MSQ will always be "go to place, talk to person, kill a thing, sometimes do a duty/dungeon/trial". The quality of places, talking, people and duties/dungeons/trials will skyrocket though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love Sam Riegel but new Alphinaud fits the character better.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Draga posted:

"Weirdly directed" is the thing here I think. Richard Epcar is a great VA but we still got the Praetorium dialogue.

Are you trying to imply the Praetorium speech is anything less than perfection?

The big thing with ARR is that there is jack all direction so the VAs who have a good showing are the ones who can self-direct as well as being good VAs. Like Richard Epcar.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Unsinkabear posted:

They fixed so many other dumb combo breakers with Endwalker though, so that kind of makes leaving this one in feel deliberate. I can't work out why either, though

It allows an area of skill expression in being able to know when to drop atonements to get the buff window lined up right. Here's the trick: If when your next GCD comes up and your FoF is 4 or less seconds away, that's your cue to drop any remaining Atonements.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Theris posted:

Tank soloing a dungeon boss is acceptable if it has....maybe 20% HP left? Otherwise it's faster to wipe and start over with the whole party. Unless it's the 3rd+ attempt at that boss, in which case gently caress it, they can sit and watch for a while.

the exception is if your party starts cheering you on

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ivalician Holy Knight armour is the core of my main pld glam.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

4.2-4.3 is one of the better stretches of story in FF imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The main thread has stopped using spoiler bars for basically anything before EW, so here is the only safe place for people to talk about the middle expansions (behind bars) without the fear of being blasted by untagged ShB/EW spoilers.

And any time the conversation came up of "hey maybe you should use spoiler tags", people just say things like "oh the marketing material already spoils that" or "it's several year old content, why should we spoiler tag it" despite the fact that it's a courtesy that requires two keypresses.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, so Gunbreaker question-

Is there ever actually a good time to use Superbollide?

every time it comes off cooldown

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I don't understand tanxiety. You just roundup two or three packs, pop a cooldown and spam aoes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

S.J. posted:

If someone ever did this to me I would just claim I had a giant lag spike and let them die tbh

you're a dick

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

just spam aoes with stance on and occasionally hit a cooldown

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like playing pld in my static because the healers have gotten used to me giving the other tank 30% additional damage reduction for every tankbuster so I get to feel like I'm essential to keep both him and myself alive.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just use a regular GCD AOE on the way and if I lose aggro on anything before I round up the next pack, then it's up to the DPS to pull them into the pack to get scooped back up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mister Olympus posted:

did the ARR cleanup cut out the "no not THAT kind of corrupted crystal, the OTHER kind" bit? that was worse than the titan banquet when i think about how i was feeling back then

It's much more tolerable than it used to be. It is no longer worse than pre-Titan.

Also Coerthas Central Highlands is the only time in ARR where I genuinely really enjoyed a zone's specific story instead of a zone just being a location you go to for MSQ.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

genuinely looking forward to seeing whether TLD starts liking the story in HW/ShB/EW or if it ultimately fails to grab them

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

hell yeah you won't have to force yourself to do MSQ just to unlock new gambling dens, you can actually enjoy it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That Little Demon posted:

Just got second set of credits, I guess that means I’m
officially in the expansion now

enjoy the fancy new voices

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DelphiAegis posted:

I dunno it seems like a mechanic in a game where you are paying for access to prolong the desire to keep that access by padding the game with things to do. You do want things to do, don't you? Clear your maps. The lore and side stories in these quests fill in the rest of the world. If you don't want to do that, that's your choice, but again bitching about obscured items from a game whose entire point is to give you things to do is asinine.

No, it's really dumb that if an NPC has multiple things to offer the icon only shows a low level sidequests.

Also glad you found the Scholasticate quests, I did them because I wanted to get the spectacles emote (just tagging in case you want surprised by the reward) and got pleasantly surprised by a good story and more Briarden.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DelphiAegis posted:

You already admitted the TT card interface tells you where it is, so why are YOU not understanding the issue? Or do you just want to dunk on the game?

The TT interface led him to an NPC who just happened to have another questline that he never would have seen if he hadn't happened to be looking for cards, and the questline is really good and interesting and would have been completely hidden by the NPC also having a low level sidequest.

This is a bad design decision. I know that this community gets defensive about the game sometimes, but this is the first time I've seen someone defending stupid UI poo poo like this and acting like everyone should be cleaning out the millions of meaningless sidequests.

edit: lmao at the idea that TLD is trying to dunk on the game when they just spent multiple posts talking about how much they're enjoying a questline that they nearly missed

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That Little Demon posted:

You can’t? It’s been the entire journey for me for whatever reason lol. People are so defensive about games they like

this one in particular surprised me because I could not imagine anyone defending that design choice or getting mad at someone for not completely cleaning the maps of sidequest, something that 95% of the players don't do

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

girl dick energy posted:

Interviewer: “Have you ever thought about doing a 1.0 Revival server?”

Yoshi-P, in English: “Nightmare!”

the funniest part is the fact that he knows enough english to recognise the question before it's translated and he just breaks down laughing

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was the last man standing in an exdr boss and I was gonna let myself die but the dps started cheering me on so I soloed it

It would have been significantly quicker to just reset and get the help of the dps but I didn't want to let them down

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's only if you get reported though, they don't scour chatlogs unless given a reason to.

It's a) because they want the difficulty to be tuned around the tools they give the player access to b) they want console and pc players to be on the same footing. This only really matters in high end content, but they apply the policy to the whole game even if the mods don't actually affect your gameplay.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The most important use of macros is to set things up so every time you switch jobs your character snaps their fingers just as the switch happens.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XIV ultimately has a different design where instead of reacting to health bars bouncing up and down, high end content is extremely predictable so you plan out in advance where you hit every button in order to never actually spend global cooldowns on healing and instead squeeze out as much dps as you can.

That makes casual content not very fun to heal imo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Broke: holding on to swiftcast so you can use it to revive a player instantly
Woke: swiftcasting out an instant holy as soon as the tank finishes rounding up their pull

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is why I like dungeoning as Scholar more, their aoe is instant cast and has a super satisfying animation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Turning down any visual effects is cowardice.