Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

sassassin posted:

That 30% is pocket change compared to the armoury bonus on second jobs. On a preferred/new server you're getting +406% xp (rested with food) and the ring knocks that up to +466%. Hit level 30 in the blink of an eye.

Most people aren't on a preferred or new server, and the armory bonus isn't relevant when you're on your main job. 30% bonus XP is still pretty tangible when you're just starting out, especially if your sessions run long enough to burn through your rested XP bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

Maybe they'll change that someday because I can't think of a reason it's helpful to anyone hide mat info

Likewise, it'd be nice if the right-click dropdown to show an item by gathering method worked to show where to gather things as a fisher and not just as a miner/botanist.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Don't forget that Arm's Length is decent mitigation too, but only on trash packs (bosses are immune to Slow).

Most bosses in ARR are still affected by Slow; they didn't normalize immunities for bosses until later. But some regular mobs won't be slowed by Arm's Length at all, because it only triggers on getting hit by either physical or melee attacks, and elementals/sprites only have ranged magic attacks.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Really there are three main things a tank ought to be concerned with:

* Have at least one mitigation active when taking damage, outside of trivial damage like when you're grabbing one pack and dragging them to another
* If the healer is taking damage or the DPS is taking a lot of damage, get aggro off of whoever's hitting them
* Pull the mobs into as tight a stationary cluster as you can, facing in the same direction and away from the rest of the party. Ideally they're facing away at a 45-degree angle, so that melee DPS can hit the mobs' backs and flanks without moving too much, but you work with what you've got in terms of floor space and sheer numbers of enemies

The last one does play into the fact that you want to look at your party composition at the start of a dungeon. Having all ranged DPS means you don't need to worry about melee attacks that target the enemy's back/flank, so mob facing is less of a concern. And the specific healer job kind of plays into how concerned you need to be with your own health (SCH/SGE should keep your actual health higher due to shields, AST and especially WHM have proportionally more potent oGCD heals so you don't need to worry if you constantly drop below half health but don't die), though in ARR leveling dungeons the differences aren't nearly as stark.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Picayune posted:

I hope we get Materiel Containers 5.0 as part of Dawntrail, but I'm not holding my breath there.

I'm sure we'll get stuff like that in 7.0 or 7.1, since they only just added the materiel containers in 6.1.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

God Hole posted:

Gift of the Magi(cite) situation when your GF realizes she's been out of line so to make it up to you she fantasias into a buff thighlander at the same time you relent and fantasia into bunny boy

I don't recall gift of the magi ending with a win/win situation

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally, unlocked glamours and got excited to turn all my baby gear into glams, so I can play dress-up with my little guy. Only to discover that can't buy them after I used up the few you get to start, you have to craft them. So spent the next couple of days leveling up Bot and Carp, so I can actually craft more. A little deceptive with the level 15 unlock, but can't craft more until like level 25-30 with a gathering/crafting profession.

I do like the "emperor's new clothes" gear you can buy, so you can drop a blank appearance on a slot while still being geared.

I kind of wish there was a deduping function for the armory chest. Found out I had like 10 versions of a Hempen Kurta.

You can get glam prisms for pretty cheap from the grand company vendor.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Reminder to players leveling their chocobros in the goon FCs, you can stable your buddy when you're done doing overworld stuff and feed them for experience. There's food in the FC chest most likely. You can also, while you're there, feed other people's stabled birds and help your compatriots level. Only one person can feed others' birds per food cooldown, so you won't always feed every bird in the stable when you put yours in.

Please feed the birds.

And feeding other players' stabled chocobos 20 times gives an achievement that awards a chocobo barding.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The Gold Saucer has been one of my discount locations since I unlocked it, and while I should probably change the other ones (Foundation and the first ShB hub), that one's staying

You can take the airship to the Saucer for free from any of the first four cities (and also also take the airship from the Saucer to Ul'dah for free), if saving gil is a concern.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Don't forget about the weekly challenge logs for XP, too. FATEs and levequests and basically every kind.of duty you can queue for in the duty finder can contribute to one or more challenges that give XP. Each challenge only gives 5% or 10% of a level's worth of XP, but they add up if you knock out a bunch of them on the same job, and most of them ask you to do things you were already going to do anyways.

StB combat tribe dailies aren't as good for XP as the later combat tribes are, but at that level range as a DPS there aren't a lot of better options. If nothing else, it gives you something to do while waiting in a queue for a leveling dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Also, you would have to buy a level skip and a story skip separately.

Depending on how much you've outleveled the MSQ, if you're really soured on the ARR story, it might be tempting to buy the story skip that starts you directly in Heavensward and then manually level up to 50 by doing daily roulettes and other side activities.